Jimmy V

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Jimmy V

Post by Yankees »

I know a bunch of you are Sports Guy dorks like I am (though he's getting worse), and realizing the age of this group, I'm not sure what most of you know about Jimmy V...

I was watching the below clip in 1993 with my father, and we were both totally in tears - and you just aren't human if this doesn't make the room seem dusty.

If you don't want to sit through 10 minutes (though you REALLY should), my three favorite parts - and things I've used to help me in my life - were:

1) There are three things you should do every day of your life: Laugh, Think, and be Moved to tears. If you do these three things every day, seven days a week, you will live a full life.

2) Live your life in a way that you are passionate about. MY ASIDE HERE: Electronic communication, video games, etc. are KILLING the passion people have for life. Things are just TOO EASY these days - no one wants to fail, and everyone wants things right now, instead of working for it. Nothing in this life comes easy, and being passionate about life is a thousand times more rewarding then any individual accomplishments. Go after what you want in life with both guns blazing, do not be fearful of failing colossally, and be thankful for everyone that helps you along the road.

3) "Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXlkqkFH6s

Enjoy!
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Jimmy V was a class act and an inspiration.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

My own father had actually died from cancer in November of 1992. I was only 8 at the time of his speech but I remember being stirred by it even then. Watching it again now makes me proud of my dad, who lived the end of his life just like Jimmy V preached, and gives me the strength to try and live up to the challenge that Valvano issues. That speech was among the most powerful ever given.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Just thought I'd bring this back. Still my favorite - showed it to my sales team and we had our best sales day in 4 weeks.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”