Two Players

Bren Dillon's blog

Moderator: Angels

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Two Players

Post by Royals »

Here are two players, both play key defensive positions and are among the top 3 at their position defensively

Player A
.374 .443 .660 1.103 vLHP
.235 .295 .399 .694 vRHP
.266 .330 .458 .788 Total

Player B
.316 .407 .504 .911 vLHP
.215 .306 .392 .698 vRHP
.252 .342 .433 .775 Total

Both hit lefties much better than they hit righties, with Player A hitting righties for a better average and power while player B had a better OBP.
Player B also had a much better bb/k rate (.59) than Player B (.49)
Player B had a 1.55 WS rate (win shares/expected winshares) while Player A had a 1.11 WS rate, though Player A's higher rate was due to a greater defensive impact as Player B had a slightly higher Batting WS rate.

Player B is Chris Snyder, whose extreme left/right splits had me somewhat concerned when I acquired him. Player A, who had an even more extreme split, is Ryan Zimmerman, one of the best young players in the game. Interestingly enough, both had much more balanced Left/Right splits in 2006 than they did in 2007. Snyder actually hit righties BETTER than lefties in 2006, though his 2005 numbers again show left/right imbalance.

So what's the point? There isn't one really. I came across the Zimmerman information by accident and it made me think of Snyder. Considering how highly I think of Zimm, it made me feel a lot better about Snyder and I felt like posting something today.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Zimmerman >>>> Snyder and you'll never get Zim :-D
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

This makes you more comfortable about Snyder?

I'm totally confused. Zimmerman suffered w/ the sophomore slump and will be a cornerstone for the DC franchise - and his #'s will continue to go up when they move into the new stadium.

Snyder will continue to be a statistical anomaly to suffer at the mercy of the SIM Gods, as it should be assumed that the DBacks will give Montero every opportunity to win the starter's job over the next few years.

Snyder just completed his third consecutive year of absolute mediocrity. Zimmerman took a baby step back for obp and ba, but I think the better # to look at is # of ebh's - Zimmerman had 82 of them - and moved 4 of his 2b's over to homers. Moving from the crappy hitter's RFK to a more palatable location, Zimmerman's good for 30-35 hr's per year, over 100 rbi's, and 40 2b's - and more walks once he gets some lineup protection.

Snyder's good for a career of bouncing around from team to team to fulfill a backup's role. Yippeeeee!
Royals

Post by Royals »

Snyder's defense has been very, very good which, IMO, is the key element at C. Whether he wins a starting job or not doesn't matter so much, just so long as he puts up numbers that will make him sim successfully, which I believe he will.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Do you ever argue in a straight line?

You wrote:
"Offense offense offense offense offense offense."

I wrote:
"Offense offense offense offense offense offense."

You wrote:
"Defense defense defense."

How the F does that make sense?

And if defense made all the difference at C, there are a lot of people who don't start that would start.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Offensively I feel better about Snyder than I did before.
His defense is the raison d'etre for acquiring him though his offensive potential was still a factor.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Well if that's the reasoning - you have certainly set the record for the most excited, and the most someone has paid for an Avg fielding, VG throwing catcher.

Either you're dumber then I thought you are, or you realized how dumb you sounded and tried the double-switch on me. You don't have to tell me which it was - I'm just going to assume you made a fruitless effort.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Mostly I was bored and making a post with questionable logic seemed like a better idea than making a trade to alleviate said boredom. Those never work out well.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

So, that explains the Snyder trade. You must have been pretty bored.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Royals

Post by Royals »

No, I legitimately wanted Snyder. The market on catchers is high and the market on Tejada is low.

Chris Young for Carlos Silva.. THAT was a boredom deal...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

If you're so deadset on defensive catchers, I would have given you Mike Rivera for MUCH cheaper then Tejada. Like Coco Crisp...
Royals

Post by Royals »

Thanks, that's helpful.

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”