Red Flag?

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Red Flag?

Post by Giants »

I don't how in this day and age the biggest home run hitter in the Oakland A's lineup can show up at training camp after putting on 25 pounds of muscle in one summer and attribute it to working on a farm and no one questions it...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... O7BCU1.DTL
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Come on, are you kidding? The Bay Area still loves Bonds, of course they're not questioning it.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I'm talking about around the country. It'd be a damn shame if the steroid investigations and noise stopped when Bonds leaves (which might be what Selig is trying to set up)
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

I imagine a lot of folks also attribute it to recovery from his bout with mono last year. Whether that's justifiable or not, I dunno.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Some people do experience extreme weight loss during mono. Adding 15lbs of muscle afterwards is a little sketchy, normally people would just gain weight in fat. I guess its not so questionable especially for an athlete to gain muscle that quickly after mono with the excercises he does to prepare for the season. What a normal everyday human being would gain back in fat, he would turn that into muscle.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Actually, the way the math appears to look to me.....

The results are obvious. Swisher, who lost 15 pounds to 195 because of a devastating bout of mononucleosis last summer,

Ok, so Swisher lost 15 lbs last year due to mono and ended up at 195 lbs after losing the 15 lbs, thus before he had mono Swisher weighed 210 lbs.

Then......

has added 20 or so pounds of muscle. He's up to 220 pounds, and he appears stronger than ever.

Thus after winter workout they are now saying he's up to 220 lbs......so it sounds like he really only gained 10 lbs more than what he originally weighed.

Yeah, maybe he's still a steriod junky but a 26 year old gaining 10 lbs from his orignal weight over the course of 4 months isn't that big a deal........IMO.

But then I'm biased (cause Swisher is on my roster) but it looks like the writer is spinning the numbers a bit in order to make his story sound better.......that it really is.

Return to “IBC Forum”