Jake's Arbitrary Spring Training Preview - AL East

Jake Hamlin's blog

Moderator: Giants

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Jake's Arbitrary Spring Training Preview - AL East

Post by Giants »

The AL Beast might have lost its crown as the top division this year, as the NL Central looks equally competitive in my arbitrary opinion.

Baltimore

Strengths - Vacek finally got himself out of the AL East and left the Orioles to new GM Jason, who faces a daunting rebuilding project to catch up to the top of this division. Baltimore has a healthy minor league system, which won't be touched on, and some solid young bats in the lineup to build around in Kevin Kouzmanoff, James Loney, and Andre Ethier. Mike Sweeney is hoping to be this year's Frank Thomas for the MLB A's, and if he succeeds he should prove a valuable trade chip at the deadline for Baltimore, while Jason Botts has always been a nice AAAA slugger, maybe he'll project. Carlos Marmol has a ton of talent in the bullpen, why he isn't the Cubs' closer I haven't the foggiest.

Weaknesses - The starting rotation doesn't really have an established pitcher among the group. Scott Baker is probably the most established, but he has been up and down the last few years and is hardly a sure thing. Dana Eveland and the rest of the starters looks like a back of the rotation fodder. Depth in the pen and the lineup will also be major issues.

Final Word - This team is a work in progress, there's little point in evaluating it for this year as its final incarnation is many steps away.

Boston

Strengths - Bren is strong along the infield with Youkilis, Pedroia, top prospect Jed Lowrie, and Andy LaRoche. Travis Hafner will continue to mash from the DH spot and Chris Snyder should project behind the plate. Beckett, Webb and Beuhrle are a strong 1-2-3 punch at the top of the rotation, and the sudden emergence of Jeremy Guthrie along with a midseason return from Chris Carpenter gives Bren rotation depth to match anyone in the league. Travis Buck exploded onto the scene last year and can play all three outfield spots. The bullpen led by Neshek and Okajima is top-heavy but strong.

Weaknesses - The bullpen is a question mark as after Hideki Okajima and Neshek there isn't much in the way of established talent, beyond the injury prone Brandon Lyon. Outfield depth is a major concern, particularly with the way Buck has shown himself injury prone. The other OFs include Luke Scott, David Murphy (who's at least a year away), Kevin Mench (a platoon OF) and the mercurial Elijah Dukes (who almost certainly won't project well after last year). On the infield Andy LaRoche's projection is questionable, if he doesn't get it maybe Youk moves to third, Hafner to first and Catalanatto into the lineup? There is also a real risk that Lowrie doesn't get a usable projection, in which case Bren will be scrambling for a shortstop. Travis Buck and Jed Lowrie for Julio Lugo maybe? Consider it on the table.

Final Word - Familiar faces from years past like Vlad Guerrero, Victor Martinez and Michael Young are long gone, and the thinner lineup will have to lean on the deep rotation to compete with the Yankees.

New York

Strengths - Lineup, Rotation, Bullpen, Bench, Farm System

Weaknesses - Sense of decency

Final Word - Fuck you JB, Fuck you.

Tampa Bay

Strengths - Pat Tullar (Pat Jr., Other so and so is played out) seems to be following the Jagger/Perryman rebuilding method intently, stocking his team with prospect after prospect, none of whom we are going to touch on in this review. Only three positions in the lineup will be stocked with established major leaguers, the extra-scrappy David Eckstein at SS, the barely-established Billy Butler at DH, and the venerable Kenny Lofton in CF. What the hell is Kenny Lofton doing on this roster? After that its a bunch of youngsters and AAAA projection types. There is a ton of talent on the pitching side too, but only Andrew Miller, the moderately talented Jesse Litsch and Aaron Laffey, and the not so talented Todd Wellemeyer have seen the bigs from the rotation side. In the bullpen are random veterans Al Reyes and Keith Foulke, likely midseason trade bait behind the newly emerged Heath Bell.

Weaknesses - Umm... do we still have that rule about needing 25 active players? Of the 50 guys on the DRays roster only 21 projected last year, and only a couple of prospects look certain to join the DB from my quick glance down his list. Pat Jr. might struggle to comply with this rule. A lot of my commentary on the Astros also fits for the Devil Rays, there's no point in evaluating the 2008 version, they aren't here for that.

Final Word - The talented Baby Rays are years away from competing and will get another high pick in this year's draft to add to the stable, getting crushed by design.

Toronto

Strengths - Santana and Smoltz will give it one more go, boosted by the surprise promotion of Justin Duchscherer to the rotation. Takashi Saito and Mike Timlin are still chugging along in the bullpen, giving this top heavy staff strong support in the late innings along with Manny Corpas. There is a ton of power in the lineup, from the surprising Jack Cust, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Pena, and Derrek Lee. Yunel Escobar was a nice surprise at SS and gives the Blue Jays a young cornerstone at the position. Curtis Granderson, Mr. 20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20 is a great piece in CF.

Weaknesses - Age is a huge factor on this roster. Smoltz, Saito, Timlin, and Wakefield are pushing or have hit 40, and Tejada appeared to be rapidly aging last year (or perhaps was coming down from the juice). After Smoltz and Santana we're looking at I assume Pat plans to use him at 3B, as the other options are the possibly retired Corey Koskie and Aaron Fucking Boone who's definitely on the downside. It really hurts to lose Barry Bonds, who will almost certainly find a team to sign with the day Pat decides to cut bait and release him, or at least that's what would happen if he was on my team. Defense is also a big question mark, as Tejada will be moving to a new position, and Jack Cust needs to DH but there are two 1Bs in Derrek Lee and Carlos Pena.

Final Word - The depth on this roster isn't great, so this team will need some luck with injuries to keep pace with New York, but their ability to score runs in bunches and the power at the top of the rotation should keep this team in contention all the way through.

Final Word on the division - JB wins again, then loses in the first round again. He's the Peyton Manning of the IBC. The race between Bren and Pat for the WC, which this year should include Minnesota and Kansas City at least to September, will be a big test of the value of pitching vs. offense. I'm leaning towards pitching, though I'd be more confident if Bren had one more lights out pen arm, and predicting that the Red Sox take the AL Wild Card.
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

Arbitrary, but a good read nonetheless.

Expect projections for:

Lannan
Marquez
Rasmus
Whitney
Fukumori - available if anyone is looking for a -7- who'll project.

Possible projections for:

Robertson
Mills
Price
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Apt summary of the Yankees
WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

I saved this post for work today so I could read about my squad and all i get was that!
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Fleeing the AL East may have helped me this season, but when you do your NL East preview you'll see that I might regret it as soon as 09. Then again, Micah Owings with a bat in his hand makes me happy, so whatevs yo.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Giants

Post by Giants »

Yankees wrote:I saved this post for work today so I could read about my squad and all i get was that!
If you want you can trade me some players and make yourself some weaknesses. It's not lost on me the Paps was the guy you traded me for Mauer and now he's come full circle.
WhiteSox

Post by WhiteSox »

What were you thinking dealing Mauer? Even though I hooked you up with Papelbon! Then you dealt him away, what were you thinking?

I hate having Red Sox on my team, but I can at least tolerate Papelbon for the time being.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

If it had happened to any other team, I'd feel bad, but the fact that taking Pujols out of JB's lineup doesn't make him any less of a favorite to win the WS is sickening and I do not pity his loss.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Giants

Post by Giants »

Yankees wrote:What were you thinking dealing Mauer? Even though I hooked you up with Papelbon! Then you dealt him away, what were you thinking?

I hate having Red Sox on my team, but I can at least tolerate Papelbon for the time being.
Following out the string the players I got for Mauer and Paps led to the core of a 100 win team. With Mauer I was maybe a .500 team, gotta make that deal.
WhiteSox

Post by WhiteSox »

Following out the string the players I got for Mauer and Paps led to the core of a 100 win team. With Mauer I was maybe a .500 team, gotta make that deal.
Glad we could help each other out. I won't be so nice to you this year if we meet in the playoffs.
Giants

Post by Giants »

It'll just mean I have to get at Rivera in the 8th rather than the 9th. Congrats on beating me in Winter League, does it make it feel any better?
WhiteSox

Post by WhiteSox »

It's just a preview of whats to come for all of you in the IBC this year. The year the IBC Yanks become the first team with multiple IBC titles.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Yankees wrote:It's just a preview of whats to come for all of you in the IBC this year. The year the IBC Yanks become the first team with multiple IBC titles.
Didn't you say that last year?

and the year before?

and the year before that?
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Twins wrote:
Yankees wrote:It's just a preview of whats to come for all of you in the IBC this year. The year the IBC Yanks become the first team with multiple IBC titles.
Didn't you say that last year?

and the year before?

and the year before that?
Yup.
Yup.
Yup.

Return to “#torture”