Pimp your players

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Pimp your players

Post by Cardinals »

do it. just like the old board(s)
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Thomas Diamond- Out for the year!!
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Few days late noticing this but minorleaguebaseball.com has projected my boy Todd Redmond as the Pirates Minor League Pitcher of the year. If that happens that would make him the first prospect I've signed/created to become anything useful

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

articles a few weeks old, but hey

He looks like `the Natural'
Hunter Pence's name has been on the lips of Astros fans since he began rocketing his way through the minor leagues. After the first six exhibition games of 2007, the outfielder is living up to the hype that bills him as a star of the future

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Upon walking into the Astros' clubhouse Tuesday morning, outfielder Hunter Pence took a cursory glance at manager Phil Garner's lineup card pinned on the wall and did a double take when he saw his name in big, black letters.

"Skip walked by me and said, `Don't panic now,' " Pence said. "I just laughed."

The fun was just beginning.

Making his first start of the spring, Pence batted in the No. 2 spot in the order between Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman and went 2-for-2 with a walk and a triple in the Astros' 7-2 loss to the New York Mets at Osceola County Stadium.

Pence is hitting .750 (9-for-12) through six games with three doubles, a triple, a home run and four RBIs. He has scored four runs, stolen a base and hit safely in four straight at-bats.

"It's been a wild ride the first part of this spring training," Pence, 23, said. "I've just got to remember that it's early and to keep a cool head and keep the high as long as I can."

Garner said Pence has been impressive but cautioned not to get too excited this early.

"Pitchers aren't locating as well as they will, and the pitches aren't as sharp. But it might very well be when everybody's on track he might be doing the same thing," Garner said. "Spring training is not a true test, but its a good test to see what a young man can do. And he's doing very well right now."

Pence, starting in left field, had a line-drive single in the first inning and a triple into the gap in left-center in the third against Mets lefthander Tom Glavine. He walked in the fifth.

Pence was in the lineup because left fielder Carlos Lee is nursing a sore arm and was moved to designated hitter. But Pence admitted his hot start at the plate probably had something to do with it, too.

"I doubt I would have been the one to get up there if I hadn't been performing," he said. "I'm just fortunate to get this opportunity. ... I'm going to go out there and be part of the team and try to score some runs, play some defense, get after it and have fun."

Pence played all of last season at Class AA Corpus Christi, mainly as a center fielder. Tuesday marked the second time this year he's played left field, but he runs well enough to play all three outfield spots. At 6-4, he has shown deceptive speed and good instincts on the bases. He stole a base Monday and went from first to third on a single Tuesday in addition to tripling.

"I feel like my speed this year has really helped me out," he said. "I've had a few infield hits and had a few where I've made infielders make errors. It doesn't matter if I get on base with a single or I hit one and force the shortstop to hurry up and make a bad throw."

Lance Berkman has been impressed with how Pence has handled himself.

"It's hard a lot of times when you have a young guy that comes with a lot of hype," Berkman said. "People have high expectations, and for him to come in immediately and start crushing the ball says a lot about his ability and performance in big situations, and that's what you're looking for.

"I've been impressed with the way he's carried himself. I think that would be a universal sentiment in this clubhouse, as a player and individual. He's fit right in, and he's exactly the kind of guy this organization is trying to develop."

But the reality is that no matter how well Pence does this spring, he remains a long shot to make the club on opening day.

Pence is not on the 40-man roster and has yet to play at Class AAA Round Rock, where he'll likely begin the season. And making the big league club as a reserve outfielder isn't an option because the Astros want him to play every day.

That means Pence would have to win the starting right field job because Carlos Lee will start in left and Chris Burke seems entrenched in center. Jason Lane and Luke Scott are the leading candidates right.

"I'm not worried about that," Pence said. "I'm going to go out there and play baseball every day the way I've always played. They told me coming here, 'Don't expect to make the team.' I'm expecting to play well and be ready for the season, wherever I'm at."
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Your starting CF for the Florida Marlins.... Alejandro De Aza.

FORT MYERS --
Marlins bench coach Carlos Tosca uses a color code to indicate left-handed and switch-hitters. So when Alejandro De Aza, a left-hander, reads his name on the lineup card, it's always in red.

De Aza had his own interpretation.

''The red means I'm on fire,'' he joked.

The joke carries a lot of weight these days, because with a week left before Opening Day, De Aza is still with the Marlins, the surprise player of camp.

A few weeks ago, De Aza was an obscure outfielder, but he has emerged as a candidate to make the club, and he might even start in center field when the Marlins open in Washington.

The Marlins will give him every look in the final week.

''How can you not give him an opportunity? Every time you put him in there he does something good, and that's been the story since Day One,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ``I've always said he brings something to the game every time he plays, and that's good to see.''

De Aza is hitting .361 in 21 games this spring with four stolen bases. He started in center and played all three outfield spots Sunday against the Red Sox.

''He's definitely in the mix. He's played his butt off,'' Gonzalez said. ``He's played well, and does a lot of good things well. It would be an injustice to the kid if you didn't think he was in the mix. Is there any reason why he shouldn't make the club?

``This organization has started rookies. We started seven, eight rookies last year. We have always said this is an open competition and he has taken it to task.''

Gonzalez said even if De Aza was sent to the minors, he would be brought back if he was needed on the club.

''That's the worst-case scenario for him,'' Gonzalez said. ``He has made such a great impression up here that you feel comfortable if someone sprains a toe or something the first guy out of your brain is this guy.''

De Aza is one of those players who seemingly slipped by big-league scouts. He came to the Marlins via the Rule V minor-league draft, a player the Dodgers gave up on and a player who might have a bright future with the Marlins.

''It would mean a lot [to make the team],'' said De Aza, who will be 23 in April. ``That's what I'm working on. If I don't make the team it's fine. I know soon I'm going to be here. This was a chance [to prove myself].''

Gonzalez and the Marlins like the way De Aza attacks at the plate, in the field and on the bases.

''That's the way I play,'' De Aza said. ``I always play hard and that's the only way I can play, give it everything.''
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

We caught up with an American League scout who saw [Adam] Miller’s final start in big league camp to get one opinion on where the 22-year-old stands developmentally.

"His fastball was up to 97 (mph) and he throws it real easy from a three-quarters motion with easy stride. He just looks real confident and comfortable out there. Fastball and slider are the two main pitches.

"His slider’s been anywhere from 85 (mph) to 89 and that’s just an out pitch—probably grades as a 65 (on the 20-80 scouting scale). His fastball’s been anywhere from 92 (mph) to 97 . . . The third pitch is the changeup and I’ve only seen a few of them. You could still see that’s the final weapon—he’s still trying to get consistent feel for it.

"But I thought they were all right. I thought (the changeup) was average now and has a chance to be slightly above average.

"He had good control and command—very, very poised. When I saw him he was throwing on a Saturday in front of a sold-out crowd against a big league lineup, so yeah, he was very composed. He just looked like a guy who could step in right now and give you a chance to win. I haven’t seen (Fausto) Carmona, but it’d be hard for me to believe that he’s any more ready than Miller.

"I just think Miller is a real special talent . . . great body . . . kind of like Kevin Brown. He’s durable, he’s got that fastball/slider combo—and it’s a heavy fastball. He’ll just kind of cruise along at 93-94, but when he needs it he can grab 97.

"I think he could be a No. 1 starter. I haven’t seen many guys better than him . . . maybe (Tigers righthander Jeremy) Bonderman. And Miller and Bonderman are similar. Bonderman’s a little bigger and stronger and he’s got a better changeup, but I think he’s going to be one of the best young pitchers in the game for a long time. I’d love to have him."
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

I was happy he was going to at least have a bench spot...

Steve (Columbus): Buster, everyone keeps talking about how unhappy Junior is in RF. Irregardless, Freel throws his body around like a rag doll in CF. Do you see Josh Hamilton getting a decent shot at say 400 ABs?

Buster Olney: Steve: Absolutely. Had two scouts say last week they think Hamilton will be an impact-type middle of the order hitter this year, because of his plate discipline. If he hits, he will play.
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

Cedric Hunter:

Before Saturday, a game without a safe trip to first base was a game unfamiliar to Padres outfield prospect Cedric Hunter.

Hunter made it aboard in 49 consecutive games to start his professional career before he was retired all five times on Saturday.

“He's a very, very good athlete, intelligent, hard-working kid who knows how to get into good hitter's counts,” said scouting director Bill “Chief” Gayton.

The left-hander sprays line drives and seldom chases bad pitches, which has added up to a .463 on-base percentage and .368 batting average in 201 at-bats. Hunter has 37 walks against 20 strikeouts. He also has 12 doubles, four triples and a home run.

SDUnion Tribune.

3/4/2007

Class of '06: Fuson continues to be impressed by how good third-round pick, outfielder Cedric Hunter, looks early in camp. Hunter came in early before the rest of San Diego's Minor League position players at the request of the Padres. He's 10-12 pounds heavier, and that's a good thing, Fuson said. "He's been swinging the bat well," Fuson said.

MLB.com
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

I would like to thanks Mr. Traylor for this article....

And once again, the 'buzz' is strong with this one:

By Ray Mileur

Posted Mar 16, 2007

The St. Louis Cardinals optioned RHP Blake Hawksworth to Tripe-A
Memphis on Friday. Around the lunch table the Cardinals 2006 Minor
League Pitcher of the Year is often the topic of conversation among
MLB scouts.

Prior to game time the Major League Baseball Scouts in the ballpark,
put down their notebooks and radar guns and usually stop by the press
box for lunch and to take a little time to compare notes and talk
shop.

If you have listened carefully over the last three weeks, one name
keeps popping up in the conversation, RHP Blake Hawksworth.

Friday the St. Louis Cardinals optioned Hawksworth to Triple-A
Memphis, so the Scouts will have to get out of the air-condition
comfort of the press box and make the trek to the back fields of Roger
Dean Stadium if they want to take a look at the Cardinals top pitching
prospect.

After two injury-plagued seasons Hawksworth finally stayed healthy for
a year, going a combined 11-4 with a 2.92 ERA between Palm Beach and
Springfield in 2006. He made 27 starts, allowing only 147 hits,
striking out 121 and walking 50 in 163.1 innings, good enough to be
added to the Cardinals 40-man roster and invited to spring training
with the big club.

This spring Hawksworth pitched a total of six innings with the
Cardinals in Grapefruit League action, posting a record of 0-0 with a
3.00 ERA. He allowed two earned runs, walked two and struck out two,
before being optioned to Triple-A Memphis.

The Scouts have noticed that Hawksworth's fastball at 88-92 isn't as
fast as it used to be, but I'm expecting him to get a little stronger
this season and it is likely he'll be able to keep his fastball in the
low 90s range throughout the year.

Hawksworth changeup is recognized as the best in the organization and
then you throw in a decent curve ball and that makes him a legit top
Major League prospect.

The Cardinals trying to cope with the injuries to outfielders Jim
Edmonds, Juan Encarnacion and the slow starts of outfielders So
Taguchi, Preston Wilson and Miguel Negron, may be forced to make a
deal for an everyday outfielder soon, if it comes to that, you can be
sure the other clubs based on their scouting reports, are going to be
interested in getting Blake Hawksworth in return, as part of any deal.

And Id also like to thank the people who thought the Schilling deal was a bad one...
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Once he refines his command, Elbert will be a force to be reckoned with. Last year, hitters managed a .190 average against the southpaw and in his career he’s racked up 346 K’s in 310 2/3 IP. Once the walks (172) come down, he’ll be ready. Worst-case scenario, we’ve got the next Billy Wagner on our hands.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Giants

Post by Giants »

That's my man Perfect Game Soria right there:

Rule-5 pick Joakim Soria retired all six batters he faced, striking out three of them, for a save Tuesday against the Blue Jays.
The plan appeared to be for David Riske to get the next save chance even after blowing one against the Tigers over the weekend, but there was no reason to go to him after Soria blew right through Vernon Wells, Frank Thomas and Troy Glaus in the eighth inning tonight. Soria might get the remaining save chances until Octavio Dotel returns. He's yet to allow a run in five innings.

By the way, the guy's exactly 7 months older than me.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Lincecum (2-0), who yielded four hits and two walks, has been virtually unhittable since the Giants made him their No. 1 pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft. In two starts for the Grizzlies, the right-hander has given up six hits and struck out 17 in 12 scoreless innings.

Lincecum didn't allow a runner to get past second base in this one. Jeff Clement doubled in the second inning and Rob Johnson doubled in the sixth. Lincecum stranded Johnson by striking out Bryan LaHair and Wladimir Balentien to end the inning.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

ok, so i signed two of these guys today but who cares

Dewon Day, rhp, Double-A Birmingham (White Sox)
Bow to the altar of numbers: 16 K, 5 2/3 innings; now has fastball command to go along with a plus-plus slider.

Tim Lincecum, rhp, Triple-A Fresno (Giants)
No earned runs in his first go-round in the PCL to go with 2-0 record, but "just" 17-5 K-BB in 12 innings.

Carlos Gomez, of, Triple-A New Orleans (Mets)
No sense in waiting until the second half this year. The precocious Gomez is hitting .375/.405/.575 and leads the PCL with six doubles and six triples.

Scott Elbert, lhp, Double-A Jacksonville (Dodgers)
Elbert struck out nine in five no-hit innings his last time out, and he has only walked three batters through 11 innings.

Brian Bocock, ss, low Class A Augusta (Giants)
On top of reaching base 46 percent of the time, Bockock has already stolen 12 bases in 13 attempts.

Elvis Hernandez, rhp, low Class A Quad Cities (Cardinals)
Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2005, Hernandez has been exceptional in the start to his first full season. Nicknamed 'The Mosquito," the 21-year-old is 2-0, 0.00 with an 11-2 strikeout-walk ratio in eight innings.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Pacific Coast League
Tim Lincecum, Fresno
2-0, 0.00 ERA, 2 G, 2 GS, 12.0 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 17 SO

After a dominating performance in the Giants' big-league camp this spring, it became clear that Linceum was on the fast track to the Majors. His start to the 2007 season has only solidified this view. The 2006 first-round draft pick has picked up a win in each of his first two starts, striking out 17 over 12 shutout innings. Opponents are hitting a measly .146 against him.

PCL Pitcher of the Week. :-)

No one would have blinked if Carlos Gomez struggled in his first month in Triple-A. After all, he’s a 21-year-old in a league filled with former major leaguers. But don’t worry about Gomez; he’s not having any trouble. Gomez went 3-for-3 with a triple on Monday. He has a hit in every game this season and is now hitting .419/.468/.651 with six stolen bases.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Tim Lincecum had pretty modest goals before starting the season with the Fresno Grizzlies.

The right-hander didn't set any numbers on how many wins or strikeouts he wanted or a target for when he wanted to be promoted to the San Francisco Giants, the team that selected him in the first round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft.

"I wanted to feel like I belong," Lincecum said.

After only three Pacific Coast League starts, Lincecum has pretty much proven that he doesn't belong -- not at Triple-A, anyway.

On Tuesday night, Lincecum was just as dominant as he had been in his first two starts for the Grizzlies. The 22-year-old right-hander recorded 11 strikeouts and allowed three hits over 6 2/3 shutout innings before the Tacoma Rainiers rallied for a 2-1 victory at Cheney Stadium.

"It's early in the season. There's ups and downs," Lincecum said. "There's a lot more to it than just going out there and throwing every day. Things have gone well so far."

That qualifies as a significant understatement. Lincecum is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three starts, having allowed nine hits in 18 2/3 innings. He has 28 strikeouts and five walks. Numbers like that tend to result in a Major League promotion.

"They'd have to make room for me, and that's not my call," said Lincecum, who won the Golden Spikes Award as college baseball's player of the year at the University of Washington. "There are a lot of good pitchers up there ahead of me. They have the experience and know-how to pitch. I still feel like I have things to prove."

It's difficult to tell what those things are right now. Lincecum is about halfway to the streak of 37 consecutive scoreless innings he posted during his junior year at Washington. He has not allowed more than four hits in any of his three starts and has fanned at least eight in each outing.

"I don't go out there and doubt myself. I'm going out there thinking, 'I belong here, and it's me and him and let the best man win,'" Lincecum said. "I have a little bit of arrogance against me. Even if [Albert] Pujols steps in against me, in the back of my mind I'm thinking, 'I can get this guy.'"

That matchup could happen sooner than he thinks. The Giants travel to St. Louis for a three-game series from July 6-8.

Critics point to Lincecum's slight stature -- he stands 5-foot-11 and weighs 160 pounds -- and wonder if he can withstand the rigors of a Major League season. To this point, at least, he has completely outclassed Minor League hitters. In a brief stint with Class A Advanced San Jose last season, Lincecum was 2-0 with a 1.95 ERA in six starts. He had 48 strikeouts and gave up 13 hits in 27 2/3 innings.

"If you look at guys like [Roy] Oswalt, Francisco Rodriguez, they're starting to see something about size. If you get outs, you get outs. That's what I was trying to do," Lincecum said. "I'm trying to get quick outs and trying to work ahead of batters and let the defense help me. I learned that more and more as I went thru the system and college. That's what I'm pushing to do."

Against the Rainiers, Lincecum had at least one strikeout in every inning and whiffed both batters he faced before being removed in the seventh. He didn't give up a hit until Adam Jones and Jeremy Reed had back-to-back singles to open off the fourth. Lincecum got Mike Morse to ground into a double play and struck out Bryan LaHair to escape his only jam.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

1. Tim Lincecum, rhp, Triple-A Fresno (Giants).

Though he had no decisions last week, Lincecum struck out 11 batters in his only start and extended his season-long scoreless innings streak to 18 2/3. For the season, he's got 28 strikeouts and has allowed nine hits, five walks, zero home runs allowed and a 1.64 groundouts for every fly out. Not bad for a guy pitching in the PCL in his first pro season. Lincecum is certainly stating his case to be the first impact rookie pitcher to be called to the big leagues.

Carlos Fisher, rhp, high Class A Sarasota (Reds).

A couple of more starts like these and Fisher will put the sleeper tag behind him. A 2005 11th-round pick out of Lewis-Clark State, Fisher has succeeded by pounding the bottom of the zone with a heavy sinker. He has quality stuff (91-94 mph fastball), has a durable frame and has been getting great results: 3-0, 0.36 with four walks and 21 strikeouts in 25 innings.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

HILL'S CURVEBALL KEY TO HIS SUCCESS
By Orel Hershiser, ESPN

The Chicago Cubs are looking not only for starting pitching, but also healthy starting pitching after going through years of hoping for Mark Prior and Kerry Wood to stay healthy. Maybe they have the beginnings of one half of a tag team with Rich Hill. Hill and Carlos Zambrano would be a great tandem, assuming the Cubs want to keep Zambrano beyond this season. Either way, the Cubs are looking for a new tandem in the starting rotation and Hill looks like he could be one part of it.

I have confidence Hill can stay healthy for several reasons: He has a smooth, clean delivery where he uses a lot of body to help carry his arm. Also, the fact that he was born in Boston and went to school in Michigan I think bodes well for him. Northern pitchers have a tendency not to be overworked and have less cumulative wear and tear. Usually pitchers from the north do not play year-round, so the innings don't accumulate on their arm.

When you watch Hill walk around the mound, he seems to have a lot of poise. He also has a clean delivery -- the arching of his back and tilting of his shoulders are things you would see prior to 1968, so in the modern game he has a unique delivery. Prior to '68, the mound was higher, so pitchers could tilt their bodies more and use the hill to unfold their deliveries. You could create more severe angles with your hips and shoulders; Hill has big angles, but is very patient and calm as he delivers the ball and waits long enough for everything to uncoil.

His curveball starts on a trajectory that would tell you it's going to end up high because of those angles. But he throws it so slow (72 mph) and with such great rotation that it makes it all the way back to the strike zone, and that's very deceptive to the hitter, a la Barry Zito. Hill's curveball allows him to get away with high fastball mistakes and when he throws a good fastball at the knees, it has a tendency to lock hitters up because they have a tough time picking it up.

Hill's curveball is also deceptive to right-handed hitters because it looks like it's going to be high and away, so the hitters usually take the pitch and then it drops into the strike zone. To left-handed hitters, Hill's curve comes at their front shoulder and head and that makes them flinch. A slight uppercut is the way to hit his curveball, almost like in slow-pitch softball. A hitter swinging with shallower arc in his swing isn't going to intersect the path of Hill's curveball very often.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Outfielder (that's right, outfielder) Rick Ankiel has a strange batting line of .235/.280/.588, which tells you everything you need to know about him as a hitter – very raw, massive power.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

From Jim Callis' last ESPN chat:
Scott (San Diego, CA): Speaking of draft and follow, how good is the kid from Broward CC that the Padres are trying to now sign for $1M+?

SportsNation Jim Callis: Matt Latos is throwing very well, very high 90s. Always had a great arm, had a rep as being very flaky, and he has matured this spring.
A couple more:
The Padres expect to set a franchise record for spending on amateurs this year. In addition to having seven extra draft picks, the club is prepared to offer a seven-figure sum to pitcher Matt Latos, the Padres' 11th-round draft pick last June who is pitching for a community college in Florida.

“He's pretty special,” Towers said of the right-hander, whose fastball has been clocked in the high 90s. “We may spend close to $10 million in the amateur draft.”
Towers reported via e-mail that the 6-foot-6, 216-pound freshman hit 98 mph on the radar gun with his fastball and that he also had a quality change-up and curveball.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Great Find

A 26th-round pick of the Blue Jays in 2002, Dewon Day came over to the White Sox in the minor league phase of the 2005 Rule 5 draft.

Pro scout Jaymie Bane (son of Angels scouting director Eddie) originally signed Day with Toronto, then the White Sox plucked the righthander via the Rule 5 when Bane went to work for Chicago three years later.

Day was a two-way player at Jackson State for three years (including one redshirt) before transferring to Southern for his final seasons, focused primarily on pitching as a senior. He signed as a fifth-year senior draft-and-follow in 2003 but has moved slowly. He pitched all last season as a 25-year-old at high Class A Winston-Salem, then really struck a chord with scouts in the Arizona Fall League.

"This is the lump of clay every scout wants to sign," White Sox farm director Alan Regier said. "He's the guy every player-development person cherishes having and having the opportunity to mold.

"It's been a slow process. He really took baby steps last year until he opened a lot of eyes in the fall. Jaymie Bane deserves a lot of credit for recognizing his talent."

Day had two wins and three saves at Double-A Birmingham in eight appearances, but more impressively, he'd recorded 21 of his 26 outs by strikeout.

Day's slider was always a go-to pitch for him, but when his fastball command came around last season it had scouts in the stands at Peoria buzzing for a potential sleeper find.

"His slider is a 60 (on the 20-80 scouting scale) every night," Regier said. "And some nights it's a 70. It's been more about him trusting the fastball and not wanting to throw nine sliders in a row to get out of an inning more than anything else. We've really tried to get him to balance out the use of the fastball-slider mix."

As a 26-year-old, Day is a late-bloomer with only limited experience–coming into this season, he'd only thrown 119 innings over four seasons. And as Cubs scouting director Tim Wilken says, "They don't check IDs on the mound."

"If he was a position player in Double-A at 26, you'd say to yourself, 'Well, I don't know,' " Regier said. "But this is a 26-year-old with a fresh arm and a really good body. He has to feel like Tattoo on Fantasy Island right now after being in big league camp all spring. He's not too far away."
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

There aren’t many outings that could make Justin Upton’s fifth straight game with a home run only the second biggest story of the day, but Tim Lincecum’s starts are starting to defy explanation. Lincecum continued to treat Triple-A like it’s rookie ball.
Triple-A

The way Tim Lincecum is pitching, it’s going to be hard for the Giants to keep him in Triple-A much longer. Lincecum struck out 14, walked no one and allowed only three hits in six innings to lower his ERA to a barely visible 0.29. The San Francisco Chronicle notes that a former Giants’ top prospect will be joining Lincecum in Fresno as Jesse Foppert has become a reclamation project for three Giants minor league pitching coaches. Lincecum has now struck out 104 batters and allowed only 26 hits in 63 innings as a pro.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

The biggest offensive callup, of course, was Hunter Pence heading to the Astros. And this isn't just a fill-in kind of thing. The Astros were struggling, so they shook things up and brought up Pence, who was hitting .341 and slugging .588 in Triple-A. He's going to play center field every day, as they are convinced he can handle it defensively. Getting off to a good start (3-for-7) is a good thing in terms of job security. Assuming he hangs onto the job, he's going to hit -- and with power -- and should steal a few bags along the way. It's not often an offensive talent arrives on the scene a month into the season like this, but all players in all leagues should be interested.

Try as I might, I can't not mention Tim Lincecum. He turned in another ridiculous start on Sunday, striking out 14 without a walk over six innings. He's now 4-0 with a 0.29 ERA and leads the Minors with 46 strikeouts in 31 innings. Even though he had a six-walk outing recently, his WHIP is only 0.741, and the league his hitting .119 against him. Think he's ready? Meanwhile, Russ Ortiz has a 2-1 record and a pedestrian 4.50 ERA. He's the one who'd be bounced from the rotation in all likelihood to make room for Lincecum, so you -- and Ortiz -- should be looking over his shoulder every start.

Nats outfielder Kory Casto certainly isn't sulking after being demoted. He's hitting .324 in Triple-A with four homers and a .730 slugging percentage in 10 games. With all due respect to Chris Snelling and Michael Restovich, both of whom are hitting under .200 for the year, if Casto can keep putting up numbers like that, the Nats should just let him play in the bigs every day.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

aaron rowand is a pimp. so is tim hudson. and cordero too.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

just saw this.

Starting pitcher of the month: Tim Hudson. If he'd just exited after eight innings Wednesday in Florida, he would have become the second pitcher in the last 35 years to start a season with five straight starts of seven innings or more, while allowing one run or none in each. (Fernando Valenzuela was the other, in 1981.) But even though Bob Wickman helped him screw up that note by combining on a three-run ninth, Hudson still finished April 3-0, with a Maddux-esque 1.40 ERA. "Best pitcher I've seen all year," says one scout.

Relief pitcher of the month: Francisco Cordero. Talk about domination. Faced 41 hitters in April. Gave up a hit to two -- but struck out almost half of them (19). So how does that Carlos Lee deal last July look now?
Giants

Post by Giants »

Lucas May

INL CAL .330/.392/.651/1.043 with 8 home runs and 31 RBI, leading all minors catchers. Did I mention he's 22, in his first go round at Hi A AND its his first season as a catcher?

Return to “IBC Forum”