March 2007 Transactions

All sign/releases are posted here by OOPSS.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Athletics release Angel Berroa

Post by Giants »

Athletics release Angel Berroa
Giants

Athletics sign Hunter Brown

Post by Giants »

Athletics sign Hunter Brown
Giants

Athletics release Hunter Brown

Post by Giants »

Athletics release Hunter Brown
Giants

Athletics sign Javier Brito

Post by Giants »

Athletics sign Javier Brito
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Brewers sign Justin 0-Hoyman

Post by Pirates »

Brewers sign Justin 0-Hoyman
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Brewers sign Jamie Vermilyea

Post by Pirates »

Brewers sign Jamie Vermilyea
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Mets release Edward Campusano

Post by Padres »

Mets release Edward Campusano
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Mets create Freddy 0-Galvis

Post by Padres »

Mets create Freddy 0-Galvis (SS)

Chris Kline "briefly mentioned that he fell in love with Freddy Galvez in camp, said he looks like he belongs."

He is definely in the States as the Reading Phillies had this reference to him for a March 20, 2007 ST game:

The offense came from SS Freddy Galvis who was 3-for-4 with two runs scored and two stolen bases.

He will be playing at the GCL this year.

Many thanks to Patrick (D-Rays) who provided me a link to ascertain Galvis' dob which has been provided to Shawn.
Last edited by Padres on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

[quote="Royals"]I'm getting very excited for Nils to not show up for another month and hope we forget about that signing and not release the guy.

Should be fun...[/quote]

Actually guys, can you please put him back on my team? I wasn't sure when I saw him, but I went through the rules (as you all know, I am more subject to all the rules of the IBC than the rest of you, as I am the one who needs to be made an example of...), and this is what I found:

2. A player will be returned to the draft pool for the next season under the following conditions. If the player was drafted by an MLB team and does not sign a new contract before the next MLB draft (the 2007 MLB draft in the example above). [u]If the player is a Cuban defector or is from another professional league such as Japan, Korea or Mexico and does not sign a contract with an MLB team by opening day (Opening Day of the 2007 season in the example above). [/u]

So, yes I know there's not too much of a chance of it, but he is a Cuban defector, and he's free for this draft if he signs before opening day of this season. So, please explain why this player was taken from my roster before opening day...
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Giants wrote:
Royals wrote:I'm getting very excited for Nils to not show up for another month and hope we forget about that signing and not release the guy.

Should be fun...
Actually guys, can you please put him back on my team? I wasn't sure when I saw him, but I went through the rules (as you all know, I am more subject to all the rules of the IBC than the rest of you, as I am the one who needs to be made an example of...), and this is what I found:

2. A player will be returned to the draft pool for the next season under the following conditions. If the player was drafted by an MLB team and does not sign a new contract before the next MLB draft (the 2007 MLB draft in the example above). If the player is a Cuban defector or is from another professional league such as Japan, Korea or Mexico and does not sign a contract with an MLB team by opening day (Opening Day of the 2007 season in the example above).

So, yes I know there's not too much of a chance of it, but he is a Cuban defector, and he's free for this draft if he signs before opening day of this season. So, please explain why this player was taken from my roster before opening day...
Because Bren said so. If he says otherwise you can resign the guy.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Giants wrote:
Royals wrote:I'm getting very excited for Nils to not show up for another month and hope we forget about that signing and not release the guy.

Should be fun...

2. A player will be returned to the draft pool for the next season under the following conditions. If the player was drafted by an MLB team and does not sign a new contract before the next MLB draft (the 2007 MLB draft in the example above). If the player is a Cuban defector or is from another professional league such as Japan, Korea or Mexico and does not sign a contract with an MLB team by opening day (Opening Day of the 2007 season in the example above).

Wasn't the player you are trying to sign, just signed by an MLB club?

Thus he wasn't part of an MLB organization before the start of 2007, thus he is eligible for the IBC 2007 draft, not the IBC 2006 draft. That's how Bren explained the rule during the last big hub bub....

We just had the IBC 2006 draft, and he wasn't eligible for that one because he hadn't signed with an MLB team prior to the start of 2007, thus the rule of him being a foreig player that needs to sign before opening day 2007 doesn't apply to him, because he was never eligible for the 2006 IBC draft.

That's the way Bren explained the rule for any foreign players from Cuba, Japan, Korea, professional leagues that sign with MLB clubs after our IBC draft has already started. They go into the next season's draft and that was the reason some of the GM's have started the thread detailing all foreign payer signings that have happened by MLB clubs after the first of the season....
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Ok, that makes sense, but why is this underlined rule in our rules then? I was looking at that when I figured he might be signable if he signed with a ML club before opening day.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

It does appear that the underlined part could cause some ambiguity.....however I think it is for players from Japan that have officially announced they are coming over to the U.S. during the offseason, thus making them eligible for our draft, but still haven't signed a contract. That would apply to players like Matsuzaki, Iwamura.....etc.

the odd thing here is that in looking back at that discussion here is the email Bren sent out....

Here is a draft of the Universal Draft summary for the Official Rules:

A. Annual Rookie Drafts

1. Prior to the start of each season a universal new player draft will be held. The order will be determined by the records of the teams from the previous season with the worst team picking first.

Player's subject to the draft will include any player who had not been part of an MLB organization before the start of the prior calendar year. (EXAMPLE: If a player had not been signed to a contract prior to 2006 then he is eligible for the IBC 2006 draft, which is held in January 2007).
a. Following the completion of the IBC draft, any players who were drafted by or signed to a contract by an MLB team during the prior calendar year (in 2006 for the example above) or earlier may be signed as free agents.

b. A player will be returned to the draft pool for the next season under the following conditions. If the player was drafted by an MLB team and does not sign a new contract before the next MLB draft (the 2007 MLB draft in the example above). If the player is a Cuban defector or is from a professional league in Japan and does not sign a contract with an MLB team by opening day (Opening Day of the 2007 season in the example above). If the player is not of the two prior types, he must have signed a contract with an MLB team prior to January first of that year (prior to January 1st of 2007 in the example above).

3. The draft will continue for as many rounds as members wish to participate. Once a member misses a pick, he will be skipped from there on out unless they clearly indicate an interest and dedication to continue to draft.

For some reason the highlighted part never made it into the Rules section.....don't know if that was just an oversight or if Bren just forgot to include it on the update.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

That may be my fault. When Bren asked for the rules that were on the old site, I gave them to him and they went straight into the rules post. I can't say for sure they were updated after the last time the rules were updated.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

[quote="Mariners"]It does appear that the underlined part could cause some ambiguity.....however I think it is for players from Japan that have officially announced they are coming over to the U.S. during the offseason, thus making them eligible for our draft, but still haven't signed a contract. That would apply to players like Matsuzaki, Iwamura.....etc.

the odd thing here is that in looking back at that discussion here is the email Bren sent out....

[i]Here is a draft of the Universal Draft summary for the Official Rules:

A. Annual Rookie Drafts

1. Prior to the start of each season a universal new player draft will be held. The order will be determined by the records of the teams from the previous season with the worst team picking first.

Player's subject to the draft will include any player who had not been part of an MLB organization before the start of the prior calendar year. (EXAMPLE: If a player had not been signed to a contract prior to 2006 then he is eligible for the IBC 2006 draft, which is held in January 2007).
a. Following the completion of the IBC draft, any players who were drafted by or signed to a contract by an MLB team during the prior calendar year (in 2006 for the example above) or earlier may be signed as free agents.

b. A player will be returned to the draft pool for the next season under the following conditions. If the player was drafted by an MLB team and does not sign a new contract before the next MLB draft (the 2007 MLB draft in the example above). If the player is a Cuban defector or is from a professional league in Japan and does not sign a contract with an MLB team by opening day (Opening Day of the 2007 season in the example above). [b]If the player is not of the two prior types, he must have signed a contract with an MLB team prior to January first of that year (prior to January 1st of 2007 in the example above). [/b]

3. The draft will continue for as many rounds as members wish to participate. Once a member misses a pick, he will be skipped from there on out unless they clearly indicate an interest and dedication to continue to draft.[/i]

For some reason the highlighted part never made it into the Rules section.....don't know if that was just an oversight or if Bren just forgot to include it on the update.[/quote]

That would help if we could get that part into the rules. But, I think we still need to clarify. It wouldn't help this situation, as the guy I signed does fall under one of the previous categories. This revision would make it seem that the international signed players that don't enter the draft (i.e. all these 16 year olds who are signed that we were having the problems with earlier) are the ones who would need to be signed by Jan 1, but Cuban defectors and Japanese players would only need to be signed by Opening day.

I know this is most likely a moot point, this guy prob won't sign by opening day, and I am fine not having him, but I am now being a BIG stickler for the rules. We need to get them right if we are going to have such penalties for them now. (Did I lose another draft pick for reading the rules wrong and trying to sign an ineligible guy? Or, did we just fix the problem this time like we could have last time...)
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

WhiteSox sign Donald Hearne

Post by Brewers »

WhiteSox sign Donald Hearne
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

WhiteSox release Mark Redman

Post by Brewers »

WhiteSox release Mark Redman
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey