March 2007 Transactions

All sign/releases are posted here by OOPSS.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

March 2007 Transactions

Post by Dodgers »

March transactions automatically posted here by OOPSS.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Giants release LaTroy Hawkins

Post by Dodgers »

Giants release LaTroy Hawkins

Time: March 1, 9:26 AM.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Giants sign Joel Hanrahan

Post by Dodgers »

Giants sign Joel Hanrahan

Time: March 1, 9:28 AM.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Cubbies put in a claim on Latroy Hawkins. The franchise will release Jeromy Burtnitz if we win the claim.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

Release Pedro Lopez
Sign Russ Ortiz
DBacks

Cubs release Pedro Lopez

Post by DBacks »

Cubs release Pedro Lopez
DBacks

Cubs sign Russ Ortiz

Post by DBacks »

Cubs sign Russ Ortiz
Mariners
Name: Salty Lee

D'Backs claim:

Post by Mariners »

D'Backs claim: Pedro Lopez

Release: Juan Lara (if I win claim).

Jim, I claimed him here because the "claims/awards" string looks so good with just your final 'winning' posts.
DBacks

Cubs release Chris 0-Shaver

Post by DBacks »

Cubs release Chris 0-Shaver
DBacks

Cubs sign Oswaldo Navarro

Post by DBacks »

Cubs sign Oswaldo Navarro
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Mets release Garrett 0-Mock

Post by Padres »

Mets release Garrett 0-Mock
Padres
Site Admin

Mets sign Adam 0-Russell

Post by Padres »

Mets sign Adam 0-Russell (P)

The IBC Mets welcome back the 6'8", 250 lb. Adam Russell. The RHP is considered the Pale Hose 7th best prospect by BA which reported, "Russell's size presents an intimidating presence on the mound, and he has learned to use it to his advantage. He throws on a downhill plane from a high slot, and he reaches the mid-90s with his lively fastball on his best days. He'll alter his arm slot and drop down to give batters a different look with his fastball and slider. He has gained confidence in throwing four-seam fastballs at the top of the strike zone after establishing his heater in the lower half."

In 2006 Russell pitched in A and AA exclusively as a SP (27 games) going a combined 10 - 6 with a 3.43 ERA and a 108/58 K/BB ratio with a BAA of .248. He continued his success in the AFL working 13 games as a RP going 2 - 0 with a 3.65 ERA, 8/5 K/BB ratio and a BAA of .244.

Russell talked about his past year:

Tell us about your arsenal. What pitches do you throw and how confident are you in each of them?

Well, first of all, I have an overhand fastball, an overhand curveball, an overhand changeup, and then I drop down, and I have a drop-down fastball and a drop-down slider. I’m definitely most confident with my fastball. It’s my best pitch, and the drop-down fastball, I’m able to spot up with it; it’s a pretty natural throwing motion for me. My weakness would probably be my curveball. It’s something I’ve really got to work on.

So, would you consider your fastball your strikeout pitch?

Yeah, that or the drop-down slider; that’s what I’ve been working on a bit. That’s kind of what my problem was in previous years, and ever since I’ve been dropping down, my drop-down fastball keeps guys off my overhand fastball, and my overhand fastball keeps guys off my drop-down fastball.

What are some things you need to improve on to make it to the majors?

The main thing is throwing strikes down in the zone. You’ve got to pound the zone down, and get ahead of batters. I mean, the best pitch in baseball is strike one. If you don’t have that, you’re not going to have much success at any level. I think being able to throw a breaking ball pitch at any time I want, when, let’s say, the count’s 3-0, is huge. I think once you get to that point, that’s what makes big league pitchers – the ability to pitch whenever situations come up like that.

Taken from: http://www.futuresox.com/frontpage/modu ... le&sid=358

Looking forward to the 2007 season BA reports, "Entering 2006, the White Sox were excited about Russell's potential as a reliever, but now they believe he can be a starter. He still needs to flesh out his repertoire, and he probably will head back to Double-A to start 2007." White Sox pitching coach extraordinaire Don Cooper recently told the Chicago Sun Times,"Adam Russell ... here's a guy that has made a splash, as has Gio [Gonzalez].''
Padres
Site Admin

Mets release Luke Hudson

Post by Padres »

Mets release Luke Hudson
Padres
Site Admin

Mets sign Garrett 0-Mock

Post by Padres »

Mets sign Garrett 0-Mock

The IBC Mets accidentally released Mock instead of Hudson (yet again) and reclaimed him quickly rectifying the error as soon as it was caught ... after finishing editing the the Russell pick-up.

Sorry.
Padres
Site Admin

Mets release Anthony 0-Webster

Post by Padres »

Mets release Anthony 0-Webster
Padres
Site Admin

Mets create David 0-Quinowski

Post by Padres »

Mets create David 0-Quinowski (P)

The IBC Mets add another young diminitive pitcher from the SF Giants organization with the signing of 5' 10" 170 lb. LHP David Quinowski. Drafted as a draft and follow in 2004, he signed in 2005 after playing ball at Riverside Community College in California. Playing in the West Coast Collegiate Baseball League, David closed out his final season with a 1.88 ERA over ten starts.

Quinowski has emerged as one of the Giants’ better relief prospects. The 20-year-old southpaw, pitching for the Augusta Green Jackets, dominated the Sally this season, yielding just 36 hits in 75.1 innings of work while recording a 76/24 K/BB ratio in 44 games. His ERA was an impressive 1.43 and he had a miniscule .145 BAA. He also had four saves, serving as the team’s closer the last half of the year. David was honored as the Giants’ Minor League Player of the Month two times this past season, in May and July 2006. He also pitched in the SAL All Star game in 2006, throwing two-thirds of an inning without allowing a baserunner.

David then pitched in the Hawaii Winter League in 2006 as well, enjoying modest success. In 17 games, David went 2-3 with a 4.29 ERA and a .238 batting average against. In 21 innings pitched, he struck out 23 while only walking eight and surrendering 19 hits. Those numbers were despite the fact that Quinowski had his final numbers sabotaged by his last outing, when he gave up four runs on five hits in 1 2/3 innings.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

RedSox sign Billy Traber

Post by Royals »

RedSox sign Billy Traber
Reds

Marlins release Omar Quintanilla

Post by Reds »

Marlins release Omar Quintanilla
Reds

Marlins sign Luke Hudson

Post by Reds »

Marlins sign Luke Hudson
Mariners

D'Backs sign:

Post by Mariners »

Mets wrote:Pedro Lopez (2B) was released at 3:15 pm on 3/1/2007. Only one team, the D-Backs, put a claim on him and thus have the successful claim.

The D-Backs will release Juan Lara (P) and have been moved to the bottom of the waiver priority list.
To whoever cares:

Since no team put a claim in for Juan Lara, I'm going to go ahead and resign him. I'm releasing Matt Lindstrom.

I'm doing it at the same time I'm adding Lopez to my OOPSS roster, so it will look like I'm cutting Lindstrom for Lopez instead of Lara.
Mariners

DBacks release Matthew Lindstrom

Post by Mariners »

DBacks release Matthew Lindstrom
Mariners

DBacks sign Pedro Lopez

Post by Mariners »

DBacks sign Pedro Lopez
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Rangers release Francisco 0-Cervelli

Post by Rockies »

Rangers release Francisco 0-Cervelli
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Rangers sign Reggie Willits

Post by Rockies »

Rangers sign Reggie Willits
Padres
Site Admin

Re: Rangers sign Reggie Willits

Post by Padres »

Rangers wrote:Rangers sign Reggie Willits
This signing is the result of a waiver claim effective 2/3/07. Willits was put in the mini draft pool and subsequently drafted by the Devil Rays.

Return to “Transactions”