My Shiny New Blog

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

RedSox wrote:What hurt most about the strike was it showed how few people really gave a shit that hockey was gone.
Tell that to the Canadians. Hockey is the highest rated program throughout Canada.

Hockey gets a bad rep because it's a much harder game to reproduce in the schoolyard growing up. It can be argued that there is much more skill and coordination needed in Hockey than football or basketball, therefore is harder to appreciate without having played it.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Rockies wrote:
RedSox wrote:What hurt most about the strike was it showed how few people really gave a shit that hockey was gone.
Tell that to the Canadians. Hockey is the highest rated program throughout Canada.

Hockey gets a bad rep because it's a much harder game to reproduce in the schoolyard growing up. It can be argued that there is much more skill and coordination needed in Hockey than football or basketball, therefore is harder to appreciate without having played it.
This isn't Canada. There are more people in California or in NY/New England than there are in Canada. Why would any of us care about Canadian television ratings or sports any more than we care about European ratings? What about Mexico?
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

NEW YORK -- More people tuned in on New Year's Day to see the NHL play outdoors than any other regular-season game in more than a decade.

The Penguins-Sabres game in snowy Buffalo -- the first regular-season outdoor NHL game in the United States -- drew a 2.6 overnight rating and a 5 share on NBC. Those were the best numbers since a six-game regional telecast on Fox drew a 3.0 overnight rating and a 7 share on Feb. 3, 1996.

The Winter Classic ratings also surpassed Wayne Gretzky's final game, which was broadcast on Fox on April 18, 1999, and drew a 2.5/6.

The Buffalo and Pittsburgh markets led the ratings, at 38.2/58 and 17.7/30, respectively. But markets such as Sacramento, Calif., St. Louis and Denver also drew strong ratings, even though the game went up against a number of college football bowl games, including an intriguing Capital One Bowl between Florida and Michigan.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

I don't think appreciation of skill has much to do with americans disliking hockey. I appreciate the skill it takes to play. I certainly couldn't do it, but its still a dumb sport.

in the end, americans watch sports for entertainment, and that comes not only from great games, but from memorable moments and interesting stories. hockey does not have these.

there's no two out in the bottom of the ninth in hockey. there's no down by two with 8 seconds left and the ball at half court. there's no four minute drives to the end zone at the end of the fourth. scoring in hockey comes out of nowhere and you really don't know its happened until its already over. its hard to appreciate moments and tension in that kind of enviroment.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Have you ever stayed up till 3 in the morning watching overtime playoff hockey? Its hard to find a better moment and atmosphere in sports. The only thing I knew about hockey when I started watching was that the Mighty Ducks used a Flying V that couldn't be stopped. Now, I watch all the playoff hockey I can
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

playoff hockey? really? how about an extra inning nlcs game? or watching a 5 seed and a 12 seed battle into double overtime in march madness? or an OT conference championship game in the nfl? I would take any of those over OT hockey any day of the week.
Mets

Post by Mets »

It's fine if you don't like hockey..I hate basketball...everyone has preference.

I just better not catch anyone saying hockey is stupid that is a fan of soccer. That's the ultimate in irony.

Royals

Post by Royals »

Two thoughts.

1. Americans hate ties.

2. Hockey v. Soccer. Compare the ease of getting together a pickup game of soccer (2 people and a ball) v. a pickup game of hockey (2 people, a ball/puck, sticks, probably rollerblades if not ice skates, a smooth surface for the rollerblades or ice). As stupid as ties are, the potential for spontaneity in soccer far outstrips hockey. Soccer is probably the easiest sport to play as a pickup game.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

there are no ties in hockey 1st off, 2nd off a big reason people dont like hockey is i think like someone said before is that you cant just pickup skates and a stick and go play. You can pick up a basketball and shoot around anytime. You can chuck a football around any team. And you can throw a baseball around anytime. They made a good point on WFAN back when Sean Taylor was killed and said the reason people dont get into playing hockey is because its expensive and its hard to get ice team. I know when I used to play it cost me close to 1500 every winter and I had my parents taking me to games at 5am in the morning. Its a very expensive and hard sport to play, which makes most people not interested in it.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Rockies wrote:It's fine if you don't like hockey..I hate basketball...everyone has preference.

I just better not catch anyone saying hockey is stupid that is a fan of soccer. That's the ultimate in irony.

That's me in a nutshell...but to truly appreciate soccer you need to catch some EPL games or a good international fixture....while MLS has made huge strides in 10 years, it just doesn't compare.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Brewers wrote:there are no ties in hockey 1st off, 2nd off a big reason people dont like hockey is i think like someone said before is that you cant just pickup skates and a stick and go play. You can pick up a basketball and shoot around anytime. You can chuck a football around any team. And you can throw a baseball around anytime. They made a good point on WFAN back when Sean Taylor was killed and said the reason people dont get into playing hockey is because its expensive and its hard to get ice team. I know when I used to play it cost me close to 1500 every winter and I had my parents taking me to games at 5am in the morning. Its a very expensive and hard sport to play, which makes most people not interested in it.
I had forgotten they changed that rule. What is it now, penalty shots to decide a winner? Rivetting. That's like breaking a tie in basketball using free throws. Here's an idea.. KEEP PLAYING!
Mets

Post by Mets »

So I guess we all agree....Neither Hockey, not Soccer are American sports, so therefore they are stupid!

Royals

Post by Royals »

Nah, soccer is very democratic, it's open and available to everyone.
Hockey is expensive and elitist.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

If you're a football fan and can't find something to like about Hockey, there is something sorely wrong with you. Its fast paced, heavy hitting, and now with rule changes its a much higher scoring game. People complain about baseball, golf, etc. because they are "slow" or "dull" and boring. Hockey has every element that the other sports don't.

Maybe I was raised on hockey, going to Colorado Rockies games as a kid(though I don't remember any). Maybe I'm spoiled with having a franchise on the verge of greatness move from Quebec to CO. Maybe I'm spoiled watching some of the best hockey playesr assembled on 1 team play at the same time. Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Peter Forseberg, etc. Maybe I'm spoiled by great, vicious, brutal, and invested rivalries like the Red Wings vs. Avs. Maybe I'm spoiled by attending a stanley cup and seeing my fav. team win it a couple times. Maybe I'm spoiled by having grown up next door to some of my favorite Avs players like Claude Lemuix and Roy...

But I can assure you, I've never sat on the edge of my seat more watching a sporting event than I have hockey. The tension, the passion, the atmosphere is unrivaled compared to any sporting event I've ever attended(that includes all star games, playoff baseball, etc.).

If you can't appreciate hockey, there is something wrong with you IMO. If you don't watch it fine. Even if you don't like it fine. But if you can't appreciate what those guys do, how tough they are(getting up on your own will and skating off the ice as your artery is spewing blood all over the ice, getting teeth knocked out, having your face smashed into a glass wall, having stitches put in on the bench and getting abck out to play), the finese some guys have, being able to move like that on blades, handle a puck with grace, and score, and being able to do all of that at the speed they do.. Its just awesome. If you can't appreciate that, then you're a tool.

Hockey may be expensive, but it isn't elitist. The attitude that its a "canadian sport" and is worthless is elitest.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Royals

Post by Royals »

What, is being canadian an insult now? It IS canadian. It is also boring, unpopular (in the US) and yes, the expense makes it elitist.

Going to a hockey game is fun, there's no denying that.

Hockey on television flat out SUCKS. It couldn't be more boring.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Bren you would be suprised how many people think baseball is the most boring sport to watch on TV. Actually as a matter of fact the amount of people that think baseball is boring. People dont like to watch people just stand around. Ask around you'd be suprised.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Something being expensive makes you elitist? So are farmers elitist because tractors, combines, ect. cost a lot of money? Or is this another case of "Bren doesn't like it so there can't possibly be anything good about it"
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Brewers wrote:Bren you would be suprised how many people think baseball is the most boring sport to watch on TV. Actually as a matter of fact the amount of people that think baseball is boring. People dont like to watch people just stand around. Ask around you'd be suprised.
Agreed. There is baseball outside of beantown, and there's a lot of people who find it JUST as boring if not more so to watch on TV than Hockey.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

The lakes and ponds are frozen here - reportedly 9 to 13 inches deep. On one particular local pond a few times per week I see some youth - both boys and girls (and occasionally a dad or two) - skating and playing some form of ice hockey. They look like they are having fun and usually they even get enough people to play a game of 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 and sometimes even 6 on 6. I recognize some of them from basketball, some from wrestling, a couple from cheerleadering and some I don't think are or have been involved in organized sports. The age range appears to be about 7th grade through post high school. They don't all wear helmets but they all have skates and sticks and someone brings the puck. The goal stands appear to have been made in someone's garage or perhaps a shop class project.

Friggin' elitists ... with their expensive tastes.

They are pretty much the same kids who will be playing sandlot baseball and softball next spring and summer.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

except kids in half the country can't do that and then their parents have to pay for ice time, which is ridiculously expensive. oddly, I'm with bren on this one. of all the major sports. hockey is the most difficult and most expensive to just go out and play.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Cubs wrote: ... of all the major sports. hockey is the most difficult and most expensive to just go out and play.
I don't disagree that ice hockey is more expensive the soccer, baseball or sandlot football (organized football costs a fortune also) ... I just do not consider the sport itself elitist.

Golf and tennis - particularly when carried out in expensive country club settings with private instructors - is a sport I would consider to be more elitist then ice hockey.
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

agreed. I wouldn't consider hockey elitist, just expensive. golf and tennis I thinl are very much elitist sports. golf especially, considering the requirements some courses or clubs have just to play there.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

If you don't have ice, get some inline skates.. next best thing. Its what we do in CO during the summer.
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

All right! Hockey talk! I usually just read posts and rarely contribute, but gotta jump in here!

I grew up having no interest in hockey. Didn't hate it, didn't have next to no interest, just had absolutely no interest at all. Hockey could very well have not existed. I wouldn't have even noticed.

About seven years ago, a few friends and I created a free fantasy hockey league on yahoo just for the hell of it, just to add to our fantasy league addictions. As a stat geek I just followed the numbers like someone dabbling in the stock market for the first time to start. I eventually started watching games here and there if my players were on TV.

I became absolutely hooked. Can't even explain why. Can't even start to form a first sentence to try and convince someone why I believe they are missing out on what I enjoy in hockey.

I'm not gonna be so bold to say "If you don't like hockey, you haven't even tried!" like some might. I'm just saying that at one point I was exactly where many sports fans are who don't enjoy hockey. Great sport, after baseball it is easily my favorite. And this is coming from a die-hard Seahawks fan in Seattle.

GO CANUCKS!!!
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I like playing NHL08 but I have a difficult time even watching a hockey highlight on sportscenter.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”