RIP Roy Halladay

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

RIP Roy Halladay

Post by Guardians »

Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Awful. Stupid private planes.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Mets wrote:Awful. Stupid private planes.
Still better than drunk driving or boating.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

This sucks.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Really sucks. One of my favorite non-Cardinals.

Game 5 of the NLDS in 2011 was one of the best playoff games I've seen with him and Chris Carpenter putting up a great pitchers duel.

I hate those ultra-light aircraft. A close friend of mine flew a similar style plane to tow gliders into the air, and despite being a very talented and experienced pilot, hers stalled out on her one day after releasing a glider and she died in the crash.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Orioles wrote:Game 5 of the NLDS in 2011 was one of the best playoff games I've seen with him and Chris Carpenter putting up a great pitchers duel.
He was unreal that night. A lead off triple and then squat. The Phils scored zero runs and he truly blamed himself. Honestly it was a game that shouldn't have happened (thanks Cliff). I wanted so badly to see Doc pitch in the World Series. We only had him for a few years but he felt like a lifer. He was/is worshiped here.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Phillies wrote: We only had him for a few years but he felt like a lifer. He was/is worshiped here.
Couldn't agree more.

This blurb from a Phillies.com email summed up the guy he was:

Roy Halladay won his second Cy Young Award in 2010, and that created a little bit of a problem. Halladay wanted to find a way to acknowledge the role his Phillies catcher, Carlos Ruiz, played in his success. And he wanted to do it as quietly as possible.

So he surreptitiously ordered a replica of the award, wrapped it in a plain brown box and left it at Ruiz's locker after a Grapefruit League game. The message he scrawled on top was typically understated. "To: Chooch. From: Roy."
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Phillies wrote:
Orioles wrote:Game 5 of the NLDS in 2011 was one of the best playoff games I've seen with him and Chris Carpenter putting up a great pitchers duel.
He was unreal that night. A lead off triple and then squat. The Phils scored zero runs and he truly blamed himself. Honestly it was a game that shouldn't have happened (thanks Cliff). I wanted so badly to see Doc pitch in the World Series. We only had him for a few years but he felt like a lifer. He was/is worshiped here.
That game was the closest baseball has ever come to replicating the intensity of playoff hockey. Every single pitch I was on the edge of my seat because I knew the Cards weren't scoring again. That's the best pitcher's duel I have ever witnessed. I remember going into the 2010 playoffs thinking "I wouldn't be shocked if he throws a no hitter" and that's exactly what he did
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Royals wrote:
Phillies wrote: We only had him for a few years but he felt like a lifer. He was/is worshiped here.
Couldn't agree more.

This blurb from a Phillies.com email summed up the guy he was:

Roy Halladay won his second Cy Young Award in 2010, and that created a little bit of a problem. Halladay wanted to find a way to acknowledge the role his Phillies catcher, Carlos Ruiz, played in his success. And he wanted to do it as quietly as possible.

So he surreptitiously ordered a replica of the award, wrapped it in a plain brown box and left it at Ruiz's locker after a Grapefruit League game. The message he scrawled on top was typically understated. "To: Chooch. From: Roy."
The relationship him and Chooch had was special man.

"Chooch was the little engine that could for a team loaded with big names, but no player was more valuable to the team as a whole than Carlos! He was so humble and grateful, you couldn't help but just want to do anything for him including win! He flawlessly handled one of the greatest pitching staffs ever assembled and was just as important offensively, as well. It was nothing short of miraculous that he could handle so many different personalities and approaches on a day-to-day basis the way that he did. He was the best catcher I've ever thrown to and, in my opinion, the best catcher in baseball in the years I was with him. It's going to be sad to see him without a Phillies uniform on and not seeing him sitting in his chair in the clubhouse with a smile. And just the way the fans treated Chase last week, Chooch is also deserving of that hero's welcome. They are my two favorite players of all-time as well as favorite teammates. I was fortunate to have both of them in the clubhouse. I want to wish good luck to Carlos. Maybe one day when we're old and gray we can come back to Philly!!"
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs0Q_VzpocI

And this is the best commercial of all time.

Return to “IBC Forum”