2017 White Sox Prospect Notes

Jim Berger's blog - a White Sox fan living in Red Sox nation

Moderator: Padres

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

2017 White Sox Prospect Notes

Post by Padres »

Haven't posted any updates on my prospects in quite a while but I have some good ones so I believe I may tout a few now and then ...

Chance Adams, RHP, Yankees (22)
Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre (International)

With Masahiro Tanaka giving up homers at a prolific rate, Adams is knocking on the door to the Bronx. The righthander has been excellent since moving to Triple-A, and on Thursday delivered six scoreless innings with one hit allowed. The former Dallas Baptist reliever already has two plus pitches in his arsenal with his fastball and slider and is working toward the average changeup he will need as a rotation piece.

C.J. Hinojosa, SS, Giants (22)
Double-A Richmond (Eastern)

Hinojosa has moved around the diamond this year in an effort to increase his versatility and prepare him for a possible utility role with San Francisco, where Brandon Crawford and Joe Panik have the middle infield spots locked down. A down May has suppressed Hinojosa’s overall numbers, but his .297/.333/.375 slash line in June has given him a push in the right direction.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/p ... iQPVgLe.97
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

D.J. Peters, OF, Dodgers (21)
High Class A Rancho Cucamonga (California)

Statistics bear out that Peters, a fourth-round pick in 2016 from Western Nevada JC, had the most impressive week of any minor leaguer. But he also gets bonus points for cracking two homers against rehabbing Giants ace Madison Bumgarner, which accounted for two of his five longballs for the week.

The 6-foot-6 Peters has plus power but a long swing that makes him prone to strikeouts. After a manageable 21.8 percent whiff rate a year ago, he’s striking out 32 percent of the time in 2017, albeit with a .276 isolated slugging percentage.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/p ... UDbkp80.97

... That's where D.J. Peters comes in. A fourth-round pick of the Dodgers in the 2016 draft out of Western Nevada College, Peters is a 21-year-old outfielder trying to make a name for himself amid a crowded and excellent farm system. He definitely gave his resume a boost against Bumgarner, taking him deep not once, but twice–in the same inning, something that's never been done against him before.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/07/06/dj-pe ... ers-giants
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Paul DeJong wasn't supposed to be in St. Louis this year, but then again, we've heard that one before.

The 23-year-old is in St. Louis, though, and he appears there to stay, given his success. On Saturday, DeJong had his best game as a major leaguer to date, going 4-for-4 with three doubles and a home run in the Cardinals' win over the Mets.

“It’s a zone,” DeJong told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “This is you what strive for, to be able to see it like you did today. You talk about sports psychology in that there’s this concept that you’re near the zone all the time and sometimes you drift into it. But staying as close you can to the zone all the time is the goal.”

It's a zone that DeJong has been in for much of his 35 games in the majors. Since being promoted, the infielder is hitting .306/.326/.581 with eight homers, 17 RBI and 16 runs scored.

His story is not unlike the player he replaced, Aledmys Diaz, who came out of nowhere in 2016 to take over as the team's shortstop of the future. Now, it's DeJong who has the look of an everyday player while Diaz's struggles have forced him not only out of the lineup, but to Triple-A Memphis.

“That’s baseball,” said DeJong. “It’s ‘What are you doing for me, lately?’ a lot of times. He’s a great player. But I think I’m a great player, too.”

There's still plenty with which to take issue regarding DeJong's success -- including the fact that he's struck out 38 times in 35 games, and that whatever success he's had has come in just a 35-game sample size -- and defensive limitations may preclude him from being considered the Cardinals' answer at shortstop, even now. But his major league production follows a 2016 season at Double-A Springfield in which DeJong hit 22 homers, and comes on the heels of him hitting 13 home runs in 48 games with Triple-A Memphis before being promoted.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/7 ... ful-dejong
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Ryan Mountcastle, SS, Baltimore Orioles (High-A Frederick)

It’s a real joy to watch Mountcastle hit, and it had to be for him to make this list, because his stated position of shortstop doesn’t seem to be a realistic long-term option. Mountcastle displays above-average bat speed and plus raw power, with quick hands and a leveraged swing that allow him to drive the ball to the gap with ease. It’s easy to see him adding more muscle to his upper body as time goes on, which should allow the power to become fully realized. There have been few players I’ve seen this year that can generate that wonderful “Crrrr-ack” sound at the plate everyone craves, and Mountcastle can; he makes solid contact often, though he can become a hacker at times and his plate discipline could use a little bit of work. All that being said, we’re talking about a guy in his age-20 season who has fit in well at both levels of A-ball thus far and displays a bat that looks like it would play well in AA right now. That’s worth noting, and it's exactly why he made our list.

Mountcastle is hurt by one pretty major hiccup, though: he’s unlikely to stick at shortstop. He doesn’t get great reads on the ball, doesn’t have the range or footwork to make even moderately difficult plays, and his arm doesn’t seem up to par for the position. The best-case scenario is that Mountcastle puts on that extra muscle, harnesses the plus raw power, and becomes a viable 20-homer guy capable of handling left field while becoming an above-average major-league regular at the position. –Victor Filoromo

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32249

Ryan Mountcastle

Born: 02/18/1997 (Age: 20)
Bats: Right Throws: Right
Height: 6' 3" Weight: 195
Primary Position: SS
Secondary Position:

Physical/Health: On the skinnier side, projectable body that can add strength

Evaluator Greg Goldstein
Report Date 06/22/2017
Dates Seen 5 games, April-June 2017
Affiliate Frederick Keys (High A, Orioles)

MLB ETA Risk Factor OFP Realistic Role Video
2019 Moderate 55 50: Major League regular No

Makeup

Will show some immaturity at times, generally already a steady player for the most part, keeps his focus

Tool Future Grade Report

Hit 55 Moderate hitch during load; moderate leverage, above-average bat speed, easy swing; natural hitter, quality hand speed, shows above-average bat control; approach still developing, struggles to stay back on off-speed, expect approach to improve with experience, will throw hands at the ball, finish can get imbalanced; athleticism and feel for the barrel to project improvement to above-average utility

Power 55 Projects to plus raw at maturity, leveraged swing, power plays to all fields, approach limits utility at present, potential for above-average utility at maturity

Baserunning/Speed 50 4.21 clock, average runner, station-to-station type, not a risk-taker on the bases

Glove 45 Poor lateral agility, lacks natural feel and instincts for shortstop, timid and stiff in movements, lacks arm strength for left side; enough athleticism to develop fringe-average utility at second

Arm 40 Below-average arm strength, low arm slot, lacks velocity and carry on throws from short, needs to load up considerably to get throws across the diamond, below-average accuracy

Overall: Mountcastle is an above-average hitter who brings both power potential and an above-average all-around hit tool to the table. He produces power without selling out, making hard contact to all fields. He’ll have to move off of shortstop because of obvious deficiencies with his arm and glove. While his defensive questions make him a risk to reach his overall potential, it's a bat to believe in, and he projects as a bat-first regular with above-average potential at his peak.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32275

LF or 2B for the IBC White Sox in the future ... we'll see.
Padres
Site Admin

Austin Allen Earns Cal League Player of the Month Honors

Post by Padres »

Austin Allen Earns Cal League Player of the Month Honors

Storm catcher Austin Allen was named California League Player of the Month for July

By Matthew Rodriguez / Lake Elsinore Storm | August 8, 2017 12:07 PM ET

It has been announced that Lake Elsinore Storm catcher Austin Allen earned California League Player of the Month honors for the month of July.

Allen led the league in hits (46), home runs (10), RBIs (32), total bases (85) and slugging percentage (.691), while finishing second in runs (27), extra-base hits (18) and OPS (1.089). Allen recorded 13 multi-hit games, a trio of four-hit games and his 32 RBIs were the second-most in professional baseball in July.

"It feels great to be recognized for the success on the field and I'm very blessed and fortunate to do what I do," said Allen, the San Diego Padres' fourth round selection of the 2015 First Year Player Draft out of the Florida Institute of Technology.

Allen, the Padres 20th-ranked prospect according to MLB Pipeline, was a huge factor in the team's success at the plate in July. The left-handed hitting catcher tallied a .374 average with a .398 on-base percentage while the team collectively hit .289 as opposed to .251 the month before. He raised his batting average 43 points in July.

"The biggest thing for me was talking to [manager] Edwin [Rodriguez] about being early and slow and staying connected on my backside and that's what I've been focusing on since the All-Star break," the 6-foot-4 Allen said. "That slowed everything down and let me make the adjustments that needed to be made. During the All-Star break I went back to Florida Tech and hit with my coaches there, so that helped me a lot too, but Edwin is a big factor in the success that I've been having."

Allen began last year, his first full season as a professional, on a tear before slowing down as the season progressed. The 2017 campaign has been very different as Allen came into the year more prepared for the grind of a 140-game schedule.

"Last year was a big eye-opener. Seeing the toll 140 games takes on your body, training this past offseason I went harder than the year before and this offseason I'll push even harder. One of my biggest goals this offseason is to get in better shape and mentally and physically train for 162 games so that by this time next year I'm feeling even better."

Allen leads the team in hits (110), doubles (26), home runs (18), RBIs (70) and total bases (192).

https://www.milb.com/storm/news/austin- ... -196093330
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Cedric Mullins

Born: 10/01/1994 (Age: 22)
Bats: Switch Throws: Left
Height: 5' 8" Weight: 175
Primary Position: CF
Secondary Position:

Physical/Health: Well-conditioned, smaller frame, notable quick-twitch athleticism plays on the bases and in the field

Evaluator Greg Goldstein
Report Date 06/21/2017
Dates Seen 6/4, 6/13-6/15/17
Affiliate Bowie Baysox (AA, Orioles)

MLB ETA:2018
Risk Factor: Moderate
OFP:50 45
Realistic Role: Second division role

Makeup: Hustle player, leaves everything on the field; not overly emotional, but plays with energy both in the field and on the bases

Tool Future Grade Report:

Hit 45 Slight bend in stance; steady at the plate, slight leg kick, moderate load, compact to the ball, mild leverage, little noise; clean follow-through, above-average bat speed as LHH, slightly below-average as RHH; compact stroke can barrel velo, hands could become a little less stiff given athleticism, lays down a good bunt; flashes ability to go to all fields, more comfortable hitting pull-side and up the middle. struggles keeping weight back on off-speed, aggressive approach limits to a fringe average projection

Power 45 Average raw, LH swing offers more raw power, still brings fringe pop as RHH; uses strength and body well to almost max raw pop in game, can drive balls with loft, more gap power, potential above-average doubles totals

Baserunning/Speed 65 Clocked 4.00 (LHH), 4.15 (RHH); Plus-plus present runner, produces plenty of infield hits and steals, maintains speed throughout first-to-third run, makes fielders rush throws due to aggressiveness

Glove 60 Speed yields plus range, frequently makes plays on sinking liners, consistent burst mid-route; glove skills are solid, will play up because of his ability to cover ground and control the outfield

Arm 50 Average arm strength; won’t gun down runners on close plays, enough carry to make it to cut off man in the air from deep center, throws lack velo out of hand

Overall

Mullins is a lighting-fast center fielder who brings more to the table offensively than his sheer size suggests. He creates hard contact and produce power thanks to a swing that is mechanically sound on both sides. He makes the most of his pure raw strength by shifting his weight efficiently and producing above-average bat speed from the left side. I’m not convinced that being a switch-hitter brings enough value to the table to justify Mullins continuing to do it, but his left-handed swing should be enough to allow his speed and fielding chops to carry him to a potential starting role.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32542
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Next up is 24-year-old right-handed pitcher Dovydas Neverauskas. At Triple-A Neverauskas is having a fantastic season owning a 2.89 ERA, 2.99 FIP, and averaging 8.29 K/9. Also, in 46 2/3 innings pitched, he has allowed just 43 hits and a single home run.

Neverauskas has made his first two trips to the Major Leagues this season. In 9 innings pitched for the Pirates he allowed just a single walk and home run, he has struck out 7, and he owns a 3.00 ERA and 3.62 FIP.

As this Bill Brink article discusses, Neverauskas has made some key adjustments this season. He has started to use his two-seamed fastball more while going inside on left-handed hitters with his cutter. These adjustments have caused Neverauskas to go from a one pitch pitcher to a legitimate bullpen prospect. He will be a key part of the Pirate bullpen in 2018, but the more experience he gets in 2017 the better.

https://rumbunter.com/2017/08/14/intern ... s-bullpen/

Going inside makes the difference for Dovydas Neverauskas

August 3, 2017 8:00 PM

By Bill Brink / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Senior pitching coordinator Scott Mitchell swung through Class AAA Indianapolis earlier this season, and he and Dovydas Neverauskas had a chat.

In 2016, Neverauskas stifled right-handed batters, but the left-handed batters hit him around a little bit. That’s not uncommon for a right-handed pitcher. This year, the reverse was happening.

“Why am I bad against righties?” Neverauskas asked Mitchell. “I had to figure out why I’m not doing well against righties.”

The answer and subsequent adjustment helped Neverauskas hold opponents to a 2.00 ERA and .200 batting average in 15 games after he returned to Indianapolis from the Pirates in mid-June. The 24-year-old is back with the Pirates while Wade LeBlanc is on the bereavement list.

Neverauskas throws a cut fastball that moves away from right-handers and in on the hands of left-handers. The pitch doesn’t work inside on the right-handed batters, who can lean over the plate and cover the outer half.

“It’s just adjusting what hitters start seeing against me,” Neverauskas said. “I faced them last year, so some hitters saw me, so I had to adjust to them when they started hitting me. Pretty much pitch selection, and location was the main key.”

Neverauskas began throwing his two-seam fastball, which moves in the opposite direction, farther inside to right-handers. In 18 innings since returning to Indianapolis, opponents had a .296 on-base percentage against him and a .217 slugging percentage.

“Get them off their feet, back them off, don’t let them dive on my outside pitch,” he said. “Don’t give up the outside part of the plate.”

Neverauskas became the first player born and raised in Lithuania to pitch in the majors. He has allowed three runs in five innings during three games with the Pirates in his first two stints in the majors.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1708030177
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Nicky Delmonico turned 25 just a couple weeks before the real life White Sox called him up...

- He has contributed 0.8 fWAR in that time.
- wRC+ of 186 over 68 plate appearances
- He is 3 for 3 in bunt-for-single-against-the-shift
- 5 homeruns
- .356/.433/.644

I know .390 babip, sample size, caveats, etc. etc.

But it’s just hard not to love this guy. He’s having a magical time in the big show and it makes me happy!
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Next year's DH for the IBC White Sox ... probably:

Ryan Mountcastle, SS??, Baltimore Orioles (Double-A, Bowie): 2-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI

Mountcastle, who will head to the Arizona Fall League, leaves little doubt about his offensive ability. He looks like a plus hitter who can run, and produce a lot of power. But his defensive home has always been in question. He has been playing 3B and SS since reaching Double-A, with both positions grading out poorly.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32636
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Tom Eshelman, RHP, Phillies

The former Cal State Fullerton ace keeps doing Eshelman things, which mainly means living on the black of the plate and never walking anyone. By my count, just three pitchers who have significant Double-A or Triple-A time have better walks rates than Eshelman’s 1.1 per nine innings, and at 12-3, 2.52 overall in 143 innings, he has shown his approach can work in the upper minors. Not many starters, especially righthanders, survive with an 88-92 mph fastball these days. I want to see if Eshelman and his extreme command can.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/a ... QAQO06u.97
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

3 IBC White Sox close out their minor league seasons strongly:

Jordan Yamamoto, lhp, Brewers. Yamamoto finished his season in grand style, throwing seven shutout innings as high Class A Carolina blanked Myrtle Beach (Cubs) 1-0. Yamamoto struck out seven and ends the season as the Carolina League’s ERA leader at 2.51 with 113 strikeouts.

D.J. Peters, cf, Dodgers. Peters homered for the third straight game, giving him 27, as high Class A Rancho Cucamonga fell to Lake Elsinore (Padres) 11-4. Peters is third in the California League in homers, trailing teammate Ibandel Isabel (28) and Seth Brown of Stockton (Athletics), who has 29.

Dane Dunning, rhp, White Sox. While Lucas Giolito–involved in the same trade from the Nats to the White Sox–was starring in the majors, Dunning was finishing his minor league campaign in fine fashion. Dunning allowed just one hit in a seven-inning shutout Sunday as high Class A Winston-Salem blanked Salem (Red Sox) 1-0. In 144 innings at low Class A and high Class A, Dunning struck out 168, which ranks as the 11th most in all the minors.

BA Prospect Report (9/4/2017)
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Chance Sisco

Scouting Report: Sisco is an old-school, hit tool-first catching prospect, but don’t let that belie that he’s still a catcher, at least for now. Coming into the 2017 season Sisco had survived the tools of ignorance to hit .300 or better at every level where he had significant playing time, but 2017 brought his first extended offensive struggles. Still, the average and plate discipline were enough to marshal together a .267/.340/.395 line at Triple-A Norfolk, not altogether terrible for a catcher in the International League. Long considered just an okay defensive catcher with a mediocre arm and decent hands, Sisco did improve his FRAA to an above-average score for the first time since entering full-season ball, carried mostly by strong framing numbers. He’s got a decent chance to remain behind the plate, and if he does, he should get on base enough to carry the defensive profile even if it ends up below-average. For this September, he appears to be firmly planted on the bench as the third catcher, getting more of a glimpse of the MLB lifestyle than any real playing time. –Jarrett Seidler

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32718

Tigers promoted OF Mike Gerber to Triple-A. In 101 games across three different levels (High-A to Triple-A), the 25-year-old slashed .304/.373/.496 with 14 HR, 42 BB, 98 SO, 10 SB.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32714

24. Matt Davidson, Chicago White Sox – Look, if the White Sox hadn’t traded their starting third baseman at the deadline, Matt Davidson wouldn’t even be playing third base in the majors. Starting from there, it’s almost impressive that he’s merely bad, and not godawful. He’s a big guy (6-foot-3, 230 pounds, and that’s just what they list), but uses his size well: he plays shallow. By doing that, he gives balls hit toward his slice of the infield pie less time to make their way far to either side of him, without going foul or being the shortstop’s problem. He’s hardly the most notable or successful case study in this (though he might be the most extreme one), and we’ll get deeper into the concept later, but for now, know that Davidson survives at third only by changing angles and being ready to handle rockets.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32702
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Hitter of the Day:

Alex Call, CF, Chicago White Sox (Low-A Kannapolis): 3-5, 2 R, 2B, 3B, RBI.

Last year’s third-rounder for the Pale Hose has scuffled at times during his first full pro season, raising questions about whether his less-than-fluid stroke will play against more advanced pitching. He’s got a nice batch of tools out of the box and on the grass, though, with plenty of arm to handle all three outfield spots. If the stick takes a step forward next year it’d go a long way towards solidifying a fourth-outfielder trajectory.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=32764
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Two BA PCL Post Season Top 20 Prospects:

5. Paul DeJong, SS, Memphis (Cardinals)

B-T: R-R
Ht.: 6-1 Wt.: 195
Drafted: Illinois State, 2015 (4)

DeJong hit 13 home runs in 48 games in Memphis before the Cardinals called him up, and he quickly morphed into one of big club's most potent offensive players with plus power while starting games at shortstop and second base.

DeJong worked extensively with Memphis manager Stubby Clapp on his form at shortstop early this season. "His aptitude is outstanding," Clapp said. "He just needed to learn how to use his feet to get his momentum through the ball, to help his arm get it across the infield. He's average in terms of range, but if he gets to the ball, he's going to catch it."

Because DeJong doesn't command the strike zone–he had six times as many strikeouts as walks this season–he probably won't hit for a high average. "He's able to hit off the fastball and make adjustments," Clapp said. "He makes hitting as basic and easy as you can."

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
177 27 53 9 0 13 34 9 46 0 2 .299 .339 .571

13. Brandon Woodruff, RHP, Colorado Springs (Brewers)

B-T: L-R
Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 215
Drafted: Mississippi State, 2014 (11)

Following a breakthrough 2016 season in which he rose to Double-A, Woodruff looked sharp at Colorado Springs but had his big league debut delayed two months to Aug. 4 by a hamstring injury.

Woodruff's sturdy frame, 94 mph fastball that reaches 96 and a power slider make him a probable workhorse starter. He struck out 8.4 batters per nine innings in the PCL, one year after leading the minors with 173 whiffs. He still has issues with control, but that can be expected with his velocity and movement.

"He's a power pitcher," Colorado Springs manager Rick Sweet said. "He can manipulate his slider. The key for him is his aggressive style. He goes after hitters. It's just a matter of keeping that quality command all the time."

W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
6 5 4.30 16 16 0 75 78 44 36 8 25 70 .266

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... 8wD17Oj.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Two BA Post Season International League Top 20 Prospects:

9. Chance Adams, RHP, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (Yankees) |

B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-1 Wt.: 210
Drafted: Dallas Baptist, 2015 (5)

Adams continued to show advanced feel for a four-pitch mix during his first stint at Triple-A, where his transition from college reliever to pro starter successfully continued. He threw a career high 150.1 innings this season, only adding to his case as a high-probability mid-rotation starter.

Adams uses a fastball that ranges from 91-95 mph and has good movement, a short, downward-breaking curveball and a firm slider that he frequently buries and can use as an out pitch. Additionally, he's shown feel for a changeup with some armside fade.

One evaluator said that between Adams' four offerings, he has a chance for three above-average pitches with above-average control. Another was impressed with how well he held his stuff and delivery during the season. He drew comparisons with Bud Norris and Jordan Zimmermann.

11 5 2.89 21 21 0 115 81 39 37 9 43 103 .197

20. Chance Sisco, C, Norfolk (Orioles) |

B-T: L-R Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 195
Drafted: HS–Corona, Calif., 2013 (2)

Sisco hit a career-high seven home runs but a career-low .267 in the IL while continuing to progress as a catcher, where he caught 94 games, good for another career high. The Orioles called up their top-rated prospect in September.

Some evaluators say Sisco's blocking and receiving have improved behind the plate, but his throwing is still below-average. He threw out just 23 percent of basestealers this season, the worst rate among qualified IL catchers, and will need to improve his footwork and release on throws. Orioles officials noted improved throwing in the second half prior to his big league promotion.

Sisco has a chance to be a solid offensive catcher–he's a career .311 hitter in the minors–in a league where most catchers don't hit. When he's locked in, he can hit good velocity where it's pitched, but he'll need to avoid slipping into a grip-it-and-rip-it pull approach that surfaced at times this season. Sisco shows good power to all fields and scouts are convinced home runs will come later.

344 47 92 23 0 7 47 32 99 2 2 .267 .340 .395

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... w37fbWG.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

A BA Eastern League Post season All Star:

18. Cedric Mullins, OF, Bowie (Orioles)

B-T: B-L
Ht.: 5-8 Wt.: 175
Drafted: Campbell, 2015 (13)

Along with Austin Hays and D.J. Stewart, Mullins helped make the Bowie outfield the best in the EL in the second half of the season. Mullins skipped high Class A Frederick and rewarded the Orioles for their confidence around stints on the disabled list with left hamstring pulls.

Managers around the league raved about Mullins' play in center field, which included plenty of highlight-reel catches to rob hitters of extra bases. He played right field at times this year to help get Hays reps in center field and handled the experience well.

EL managers also noted big-time bat speed with more power than expected considering Mullins' compact frame. The switch-hitter made plenty of contact this year and has above-average speed to leg out infield hits. Though he swiped just nine bases in 16 chances this year, managers around the league expect double-digit totals as he matures.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... oBqA1qG.99

And a couple mentioned in the EL chat:

Tiffythetitan (Oakland, CA): *sigh* Anyone other Richmond prospects for the Giants to get excited about? Any undercover prospects that caught someone's eye?

Josh Norris: Aramis Garcia got some love from managers for his work with the pitchers and his quick work behind the plate catching runners. CJ Hinojosa also got some love for his Steady Eddie type of skill set and versatility in the middle of the diamond.

Richard (Holly Springs, NC): Any love for Akron's Bobby Bradley?

Josh Norris: There was a little bit of love for him, but nothing overwhelming. The power is there, but managers saw him as more of a mistake-type hitter than someone who belonged in the Top 20 in the league. There are holes in his swing, and he has work to do defensively as well.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/e ... 1LGfZyj.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Couple of BA Carolina League Post season All Stars:

10. Dane Dunning, RHP, Winston-Salem (White Sox)

Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 200
Drafted: Florida, 2016 (1/Nationals)

To acquire Adam Eaton from the White Sox last winter, the Nationals traded away righthanders Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Dunning. The White Sox sent Dunning to low Class A Kannapolis, but he earned a quick promotion to Winston-Salem.

At his best, Dunning dominates by commanding his low- to mid-90s sinker and slider and letting his defense work for him. The White Sox were encouraged by his willingness to throw his sinker to both sides of the plate, but they would like him to work on staying tall through his delivery and staying over his front side.

Dunning's 12-to-6 curveball is a weapon in his arsenal, and he is working on continuing to develop his changeup. He struck out 135 in the Carolina League to rank fourth, despite not joining the Dash until May 2, and he ranked 11th in the minors overall.

6 8 3.51 22 22 0 118 114 62 46 15 36 135 .250

17. Ryan Mountcastle, SS, Frederick (Orioles)

Ht.: 6-3 Wt.: 195
Drafted: HS–Oviedo, Fla., 2015 (1)

Evaluators in the Carolina League stressed two things about Mountcastle. First, he can really, really hit. Second, he's not going to play shortstop. He was the seventh-youngest player in the league entering this season, and he was the only player to finish with a batting average better than .300 and led the league with an .885 OPS.

Some opposing managers saw in Mountcastle a tendency to chase pitches out of the zone, but he'd also hit those pitches a good amount as well. As he continues to refine his knowledge of the zone, scouts see the potential for a player who hits .300 with 20 or more home runs.

On defense, Mountcastle's future likely lies in the outfield. His arm action will prevent him from playing either shortstop or third base (which he played after a promotion to Double-A Bowie), and his below-average speed won't help either. Fortunately, his offensive pedigree will work out just fine in left field if and when he makes the transition.

360 63 113 35 1 15 47 14 61 8 2 .314 .343 .542

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... JDekxG6.97
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

One big bat in BA California League Post season All Star team:

10. D.J. Peters, OF, Rancho Cucamonga (Dodgers)

Ht.: 6-6 Wt.: 225
Drafted: Western Nevada JC, 2016 (4)

In an age where the three true outcomes are becoming more prevalent, Peters fits the mold. He finished third in the league in home runs (27), second in walks (64) and second in strikeouts (189) and earned the Cal League MVP award.

The best power prospect in the league, Peters doesn't often chase out of the zone and punishes mistakes out over the plate with plus power that plays in any park. He is vulnerable to above-average velocity on the inner half and in the upper quadrants of the strike zone, making him a probable low-average hitter.

"At any given moment he could hit the ball a long ways out of the park," Modesto manager Mitch Canham said. "He swings real hard and there is stuff he's missing, but every time he connects the ball comes off the bat extremely fast."

Peters is an excellent athlete for his size and an able defender in center field, though most project him to right because he is an average runner. He has a plus arm that yielded 11 assists on the season.

504 91 139 29 5 27 82 64 189 3 3 .276 .372 .514

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... 6KlIfls.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Couple of post season top 20s from the Sally League:

9. Colton Welker, 3B, Asheville (Rockies)

B-T: R-R.
Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 195.
Drafted: HS–Parkland, Fla., 2016 (4).

Welker's slash line was helped a good bit by the Tourists' hitter-friendly home park where he hit .400/.449/.584. But scouts were impressed by Welker's approach, his bat control, timing and his knowledge of the strike zone. And he did hit .302/.355/.419 on the road, so he wasn't just a McCormick Field creation.

Welker's power should develop as he matures, as he does have gap power now. But he's a hit-first line-drive third baseman. Defensively Welker needs to improve his footwork but his hands work well and he has an above-average accurate arm.

254 32 89 18 1 6 33 18 42 5 7 .350 .401 .500

17. Mickey Moniak, OF, Lakewood (Phillies) |

B-T: L-R.
Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 185.
Drafted: HS–Carlsbad, Calif., 2016 (1).

Scouts had a hard time figuring out what to think of Moniak, which is understandable after the top pick in the 2016 draft hit .236/.284/.341, ranking him among the least-productive hitters in the league.

That's a concern because Moniak's hit tool is vital to his potential, because he is less physical with less power projection than most top picks. Scouts generally graded his future power potential as either a 30 or 40 on the 20-80 scouting scale with his narrow shoulders likely limiting his ability to get significantly bigger and stronger. Moniak is a plus runner who should be able to stay in center field with a lot of work, but the consistency of his reads needs to improve. Despite his lofty defensive reputation as an amateur, some pro evaluators graded him as a below-average defender.

But Moniak's biggest improvement will have to come at the plate. Scouts like his swing and his quick hands, but he rarely drove the ball this year and hit a large number of easy-out ground balls. Scouts still see Moniak as a future big leaguer, but there's much less confidence in him being an impact player.

466 53 110 22 6 5 44 28 109 11 7 .236 .284 .341

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... sl6A3xu.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

3 BA Major League All-Rookie Selections:

SS Paul DeJong, Cardinals

DeJong never played shortstop–not even in college–until 11 games at the very end of last season at Double-A. DeJong took to it quickly, shored up some fine points at Triple-A, and took over the Cardinals everyday shortstop job by the end of June. DeJong's .857 OPS was third highest among big league shortstops, behind only Carlos Correa and Zack Cozart, and he led the Cardinals in homers despite playing only 108 games. Advanced metrics were fond of his defense as well, with Baseball-Reference.com crediting DeJong with the fifth-highest Range Factor per Game mark among NL shortstops.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
417 55 119 26 1 25 65 21 124 1 0 .285 .325 .532 .857

SP Kyle Freeland, Rockies

Freeland entered spring training as one of many trying to win a Rockies’ rotation spot, emerged victorious, and settled into a solid, durable rookie season to help get the Rockies to the playoffs. The 2014 first-rounder and Colorado native actually pitched better at Coors Field (3.72 ERA) than away from it (4.57), and was solid all-around as he held up over 156 innings. Freeland finished in the top five among rookie starters in wins, ERA and innings pitched, and memorably posted one of the year's best starts when he came within two outs of a no-hitter on July 9 against the White Sox.

W L ERA G GS IP H R ER HR SO BB AVG WHIP
11 11 4.10 33 28 156 169 78 71 17 107 63 .284 1.49

SP Jordan Montgomery, Yankees

The 2014 fourth-rounder, an ace at South Carolina, dominated down the stretch in 2016 at Triple-A, and he showed his stuff absolutely played in the majors with an excellent rookie campaign. Montgomery finished second among rookie starters with 144 strikeouts and finished in the top five in wins, ERA and innings. He was particularly strong down the stretch, going 2-0, 2.49 in his final five starts to help the Yankees secure a postseason berth. It was an especially encouraging finish after he was hit in the head by a foul ball during batting practice on Aug. 12.

W L ERA G GS IP H R ER HR SO BB AVG WHIP
9 7 3.88 29 29 155.1 140 72 67 21 144 51 .236 1.23

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/2 ... I1H2CDX.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

One GCL rep on the IBC White Sox:

15. Yunior Severino, 2B, Braves

B-T: B-R.
Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 185.
Signed: Dominican Republic, 2016.

When the Braves smashed through their international bonus pool in 2016, one of their prized signings was Severino, who got $1.9 million. After getting his feet wet in the Dominican Summer League, Severino jumped to the GCL and showed a high-risk, high-reward offensive profile.

Severino is wiry strong, generating power with strong hands and quick wrists that produce fast, whippy bat speed. A switch-hitter who looks more comfortable from the left side, he makes hard contact when the moving parts in his swing are synced up and on time, with a chance for plus or better power. That timing isn't always there, though, and Severino tends to overswing, which led to a 30 percent strikeout rate. If he can learn to trust his hands and put more balls in play, he could be a power-hitting second baseman.

Severino signed as a shortstop but the Braves quickly moved him to second base. He's a below-average runner who will need to clean up his footwork.

189 27 54 17 2 3 27 16 61 0 1 .286 .345 .444

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... EhvSODo.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

I know he will never be a stud but I do believe he can become a solid middle of the order SP ... and this is why I traded for him ...

Tom Eshelman wore a jacket and tie during a trip to Citizens Bank Park in September to pick up the Paul Owens award as top pitcher in the Phillies system The next time he comes to Philadelphia, he will likely be wearing red pinstripes.

The 23-year-old Eshelman epitomizes general manager Matt Klentak’s ideal of controlling the strike zone. Eshelman’s strike-throwing ability at Cal State Fullerton made him a second-round pick of the Astros in 2015 and could take him to the majors with the Phillies in 2018.

The Phillies acquired Eshelman from Houston in December 2015 as part of the package for Ken Giles in Klentak’s first and most high-profile trade. While other pitchers in that deal–Vince Velasquez and Mark Appel–have struggled with injury and ineffectiveness, Eshelman has advanced.

He went 13-3, 2.40 in 23 starts between Double-A Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley in 2017. He pitched 150 innings and gave up 128 hits while striking out 102 and walking just 18.

The knock on Eshelman is that he doesn’t throw hard by today’s standards. Dusty Wathan, who managed the 6-foot-3 righthander at Lehigh Valley, scoffs at that.

“He might not light up the radar gun, but there’s a lot to be said for a guy who can throw the baseball where he wants to throw it,” Wathan said. “Those guys tend to have success."

"And it is not like he’s throwing 85 (mph). He’s in the low 90s. He has enough velocity to get by with the command he has. He’s a smart kid and he’s a smart pitcher. He can adjust his game plan on the fly–whatever helps him to get deep into games. And the biggest thing is he pitches inside. He broke more bats than anyone I saw all year."

“I wouldn’t put anything past him. He’ll prove people wrong. He’s a huge character guy. Great makeup.”

Eshelman was honored to win the Phillies’ pitching award and will use it as motivation to continue his rise in 2018.

“It’s really humbling to get, but it's, 'What can I do to get better,' ” he said. “That's the attitude I need to have this offseason in my workouts and with my pitching plan.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/t ... PqTS2PK.99
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Notes from BP on DJ Peters who will likely start in AA in 2018 which should be a pivotal year in his development:

D.J. Peters, OF, Los Angeles Dodgers (High-A Rancho Cucamonga)

Defense has shown notable improvement in center over second half; reads have gotten quicker and more decisive on balls hit at him, has become more comfortable moving in and back; several excellent breaks on balls in front of him lately, exhibits better body control on dives; arm strength is easy plus, LCF wall to third on the fly with carry; still exploitable with elevated velo, swing-and-miss will always be a significant issue; tracks pitches pretty well, stays on R-R spin, shows ability to spit on solid LH changeups.

www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/ar ... er-6-2017/

[Power]: Peters has a bunch of length in his swing, the product of having a bunch of length in his frame. He can struggle at times to catch up to elevated and inner-third velocity, and he’ll fish for cambios on the semi- regular, too. So there’s a fair amount of swing-and-miss in his game, and the hit tool will very likely limit the amount of game power he gets to. But when he gets extended he can really damage the baseball. The swing’s got loft and his hit balls carry with consistently strong launch angles to the pull side and center. He was the best prospect in the league as far as game power potential this season.

[Outfield Arm]: Peters demonstrates a similar mechanical issue, where his arm action in uncoiling one he’s behind can get pretty long, but he’s accurate and still able to get decent mustard on balls he returns while on the move. And despite the longer delivery, the raw arm strength is no-doubt plus.

www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/ar ... n-players/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Hoping he gets a decent projection at 3B this coming season ... if so, I could see him playing some 3B and DH for the 2018 IBC White Sox:

[Ryan] Mountcastle is adjusting to third base in the AFL, but he’s continuing to hit no matter what position he plays. Mountcastle went 3-for-4 with double and a home run yesterday.

www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball ... RKT6dxr.99

But reports are "mixed" so far ...

Ryan Mountcastle, INF, Salt River Rafters (Baltimore Orioles): 3-4, R, HR, 2 RBI, K

Initial reports of the third base defense have been mixed. While his range and athleticism are fine, his well-below-average arm limit the kind of plays he can make.

www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/ar ... ber-22-23/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

I am really thinking about going with a Bradley/OHearn platoon at 1B in 2018 (and cutting Moreland loose):

For the first time in his four years in the Indians system, first baseman Bobby Bradley did not lead his league in home runs and RBIs.

But he didn't miss by much.

At Double-A Akron, Bradley finished second in the Eastern League with 89 RBIs and sixth in home runs with 23. He also improved his strikeout rate from 29.7 percent in 2016 to 22.9 percent in 2017.

On the negative side, Bradley's OPS has decreased each season, counting his career-low .796 this year. But the 21-year-old lefthanded hitter has made a steady climb through the organization.

“He got into a rut early in the season, but he worked hard, and by the end of the year he had become very consistent, and the numbers were there," general manager Mike Chernoff said.

A 2014 third-rounder out of high school in Mississippi, Bradley quickly adapted to pro ball. In 2014 he led the Rookie-level Arizona League with eight homers and 50 RBIs. At low Class A Lake County in 2015 he led the Midwest League with 27 homers and 92 RBIs. At high Class A Lynchburg in 2016 he led the Carolina League with 29 homers and 102 RBIs.

In his first exposure to Double-A this year, Bradley struggled, hitting .176 in April while striking out 28 times in 68 at-bats.

“His mental toughness, work ethic and preparation never wavered," Chernoff said.

In May and June, Bradley hit a combined .291 with nine homers and 36 RBIs. By the end of the year, his numbers argued for a promotion to Triple-A Columbus next year.

But first Bradley is spending time in the Arizona Fall League, where he struggled initially. His numbers aren't as important to the Indians as showing progress in all areas.

“We just want to see continued development from him as a hitter and (also) defensively," Chernoff said. “He's so young, that to already be in Double-A this year is a good indicator of his evolution as a player."

www.baseballamerica.com/minors/bobby-br ... 80e1WVF.99

First baseman -- Bobby Bradley, Akron (131 games): Bradley came on strong as a professional ballplayer after being drafted in 2014 and has displayed consistent numbers at the plate while showing off impressive power potential. The team's third-ranked prospect batted .251 -- a 16-point uptick from last season -- in his first taste of the Double-A level. The 21-year old fit well in the middle of an Akron lineup that featured three of the league's top six home run hitters, clubbing 23 long balls and driving in 89 runs, which tied for tops among the club's Minor Leaguers.

"We knew what he can do offensively," [Indians director of player development James] Harris said. "We were hoping he could show it to us defensively and he did that this year. How did he do that? He took care of his body; he brought some focus into his work."

www.milb.com/milb/news/francisco-mejia- ... -259346514

Return to “Musings from Maine”