An Early Look at 2008

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

An Early Look at 2008

Post by DBacks »

The calendar still says 2007...well, most calendars do. If you're like me and haven't bothered to change yours in several years it still says 2003. Anyway, here are some very early predictions about the 2008 IBC season.

THE AL EAST
The Evil Empire wins it by a game over Brendala's Red Sox. But it's of no matter, because Boston wins the WC by a landslide. By mid-September, the wild card race will be over and done with.

THE AL CENTRAL
It's often looked like it should be the most fun race to watch, but it hasn't really come through on that. I'm gonna go with Z's powerhouse Royals in a tight finish over the Tigers and the Twins, if for no other reason than he's due. He's been building and building and I would like to see it finally pay off. I could change my mind on this before the season starts though. I like the way Andrew runs his team and his methods paid off in 2007.

THE AL WEST
I'll give it to the Athletics once again, only because Dave's a little too young right now and I don't think Ropers is completely rebuilt. However, if Seattle did come back and win it in 08, I wouldn't be completely surprised.

THE NL EAST
I expect Dan's move to a weaker division to pay off. He'll be rewarded with a playoff spot, but I don't see it going very far. In October he'll run into one of my boys from the NLC and it'll be a first round exit for the Fish. Expect the Braves to compete all season long, but not quite have enough at the end.

THE NL CENTRAL
While The Hick does a mini-rebuild, I expect a new team to step up and win the NLC Crown. My first glance pick would have to be the Reds. Year in and year out I pick Nate to go all the way, and one of these seasons he's going to come through. Expect him to win a tight race against the Bucs in the division, and expect to see Pitt get into the post season via the Wildcard.

THE NL WEST
Shawn will return to the postseason once again, finishing ahead of Nils and a rallying Colorado team to take the division by 3 or 4 games. It'll be a battle all season long, but when the dust settles I expect to see the Dodgers in October for the second year in a row.

THE AL POSTSEASON
New York vs Kansas City
Boston vs Oakland

Yankees vs Royals
In a series that lasts all five games, the Royals win it with a stunning ninth inning rally against Mariano Rivera. After four straight years without a title, JB goes apeshit and dismantles the team. GMs all over the league rejoice.

Red Sox vs A's
Webb, Peavy, and Buerhle lead the Sox past the A's in three straight games. Leaving the Sox nice and well rested when they go head to head against Z's Royals.

Red Sox vs Royals
Seven games, five of them close, three decided by one run. The Red Sox win it a classic H2H matchup that is watched by seven or eight members of the league, and Bren returns to the WS for the fourth time in league history.

THE NL POSTSEASON
Cincinatti vs Florida
Pittsburgh vs Los Angeles

Reds vs Marlins
Two great teams, but Nate avenges his first round loss in 07 and moves past V's Fish in five games. The series will be offense heavy and defensively sloppy. Both GMs will be frustrated.

Pirates vs Dodgers
In another classic five game series, good friends Shawn and JP will battle it out H2H, with JP winning game five because of a Timmy L complete game shutout. The rest of us will never hear the end of it.

Reds vs Pirates
It will be a battle of tough NLC teams, and I expect it to go all seven games. Both have been to the NLCS before, and I know both are itching to win their first IBC title. In the end, I think Nate gets unlucky yet again and JP moves on the face Brendala in the IBC Championship.

THE IBC WORLD SERIES
I think it goes six games, and JP's superior H2H skills lead him past the former Commish and to his first IBC title. This will leave Bren 1-3 in World Series appearances, but also with more trips to the big one than any other GM in league history. JP's win gives a third straight title to the "young" guys of the league, and also means that the last 3 winners all reside in the NL Central.

It's early and these are just guesses. But you best believe that come September I'll be checking this post to see how close I was.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

No mention of the Padres in the NL West? Pretty nasty pitching (Sabathia, Young, Hamels, Matsuzaka). With maybe the best rotation in the league and enough offense (Manny, Renteria, Abreu) Martin Berryman's SD Fathers would be my pick out west.

Also (obviously) gotta disagree with Aaron's Reds over my Marlins in the postseason. His bullpen is light years better than mine, but I like my lineup and my rotation 1-4 better.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Nate's Reds.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

One thin you missed... Carpenter will be back by playoff time and I'd be surprised if he doesn't project better than buehrle, he'll be my #3 in the playoffs.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

It was just a quick assessment based on glancing at the IBC 2008 thread. Not a lot of thought went into so I apologize for the things i missed or screwed up.
Royals

Post by Royals »

No worries dude... it's more than anyone else has done.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Dodgers wrote:Nate's Reds.
Reds. Redbirds. Whatever.

Oops. I meant DJ Etan's Reds...
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

These are the best projections/predictions I've seen in a long time.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals

Post by Royals »

I agree, I think he nailed it... though I'm pretty sure he got the WS winner wrong.
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Pirates wrote:These are the best projections/predictions I've seen in a long time.
Except he forgot about the defending AL Beast Champion BlueJays. There's no way in hell Bren wraps up a wild card that early. We're going to score 1100 runs next year. I'm going to be right in the thick of things again.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

RedSox wrote:One thin you missed... Carpenter will be back by playoff time and I'd be surprised if he doesn't project better than buehrle, he'll be my #3 in the playoffs.
Beuhrle's the only one of your big guys to actually beat me this year, you sure you want to downgrade him?
Royals

Post by Royals »

Yup. I can always make sure to start him against you though Jake.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Bring them all on, ask JB how much better I do against real life aces than mediocre pitching :D
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Athletics wrote:Bring them all on, ask JB how much better I do against real life aces than mediocre pitching :D
And then look what happened...the one man wrecking crew of Matt Kemp.

Return to “The Cub Hub”