Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

The Pujols deal was basically Andruw Jones and Jeremy Bonderman for Pujols if I recall.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Listen - You guys can blow smoke about Kennedy as much as you want, but please give me a stat that shows why his future success isn't necessarily assured.

That's all I'm asking - just one stat...
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

First of all, no matter how good the minor league numbers, you can never say a pitcher's MLB success is "assured." Have a look at Jason Vargas's minor league numbers, and then where his career went. For me, with Kennedy, it's more about his stuff limiting his ceiling than him being unsuccessful. I think he'll be a successful middle of the rotation starter, but you can count on one hand guys with stuff as limited as his who are true front-of-the-rotation pitchers.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Also, it's especially difficult to say that a guy with 9 starts above AA is "assured" of anything.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

That's a fair point, and a fair analysis.

I disagree.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Orioles trade<br>
Jonny Gomes, Brandon Lyon, , , , , , <br>to RedSox for<br>
Aaron 5-Cunningham, Ambiorix Burgos, , , , , ,
Mediocrity has a new name: This Trade! Bren picks up a useful hitter, and an eh bp guy, O's picks up a nice arm, and a good prospect. No one loses - except me, who decided to write about this trade.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Cubs trade<br>
Luis Castillo, Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Silva, Angel Guzman, Edgar Gonzalez, , , <br>to Indians for<br>
Collin 0-Balester, Jair Jurrjens, John Danks, J.J. Hardy, Jeff Kent, , ,
And the winner for vastly changing the character of every team involved in one deal is - I'd just like to say that you all look fantastic tonight, and, really, every GM nominated deserves to win this award - the Cubs and Indians!

Gabe: Three nice young arms, a solid young shortstop, and Jeff Kent...

Indians (sorry, no clue what your name is yet): The best player in the deal, a useful 2b, a fair end of rotation starter and two arms with modest upside...

Honestly - it's a pretty good trade for both sides - and I commend Gabe for retooling through youth. Apparently he found the antidote for "Stocking your Team with 35 year Old Players" Syndrome.

I'm proud of both of you guys - B+ for you both...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Tigers trade<br>
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Zack Greinke, , , , , , <br>to Giants for<br>
Matt Holliday, Brandon McCarthy, , , , , ,
And the award for my least favorite trade of the off-season - on multiple levels - I just want to say that none of the nominees look good tonight, and that I hate you both - Brett P. and Nils!

I'm not sure on what planet getting a good hitting prospect w/ some questions about positions and success, and a talented young pitcher who has a history of leaving the sport for long periods of time nets you one of the best 3-4 young hitters in the game AND a talented young arm who really turned his season around in the second half - but I would not like to live there.

Levels of why I hate this trade:
1) Brett P. wins this deal, talent-wise, solidly
2) Brett P. wins this deal, character-wise, I'm not going to throw away my career cuz I'm an idiot, in a land-slide
3) Brett P. is in my goddamn division and his 3-4-5 is now Cabrera-Fielder-Holliday, or in whatever hellish combination he wants to put them in
4) Brett P. just set Nils back at least one year - perhaps permanently if Salty is the hitter he was when he got to Texas, and Greinke flakes out again (which people say is quite likely).
5) If this deal works out perfectly for Nils, he still probably loses...
6) Brett P. is in my division - I'm allowed to use that one twice
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

I appreciate the support, though I would like to note one thing. A common misconception about my team is that it is old. Even before this deal, the average age of my lineup and rotation was 29 years old. Maybe not as young as some of the league's prospect hounds, but not at all old. And that average actually gets younger if you include the bench and bullpen.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

My rotation age is averged to 21.2
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

BlueJays wrote:
Pirates wrote:
BlueJays wrote:After he got raped for Pujols by JB, I don't understand why he'd ever deal with him again.
Merrill is the one that dealt Pujols to JB.
My age is getting to me. Merrill took him for Helton and something. Then he traded Helton to Bren for Brandon McCarthy. Talk about a negative return.
I had Brandon McCarthy?
Royals

Post by Royals »

RedSox Will 5-Inman p Traded to Brewers Feb 6, 1:40 pm
RedSox Chris Ray MR Traded to Brewers Feb 6, 1:40 pm
RedSox Elijah Dukes LF Traded to Brewers Feb 6, 1:40 pm
Brewers Garrett Olson SP Traded to RedSox Feb 6, 1:40 pm
Brewers Chad 6-Rodgers P Traded to RedSox Feb 6, 1:40 pm
Brewers Todd Helton 1B Traded to RedSox
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Angels wrote:My rotation age is averged to 21.2
Funny, isn't that how many games you'll be back at the all-star break too?

Had to do it...
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

I walked right into that.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Royals wrote:
Tigers trade<br>
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Zack Greinke, , , , , , <br>to Giants for<br>
Matt Holliday, Brandon McCarthy, , , , , ,
And the award for my least favorite trade of the off-season - on multiple levels - I just want to say that none of the nominees look good tonight, and that I hate you both - Brett P. and Nils!

I'm not sure on what planet getting a good hitting prospect w/ some questions about positions and success, and a talented young pitcher who has a history of leaving the sport for long periods of time nets you one of the best 3-4 young hitters in the game AND a talented young arm who really turned his season around in the second half - but I would not like to live there.

Levels of why I hate this trade:
1) Brett P. wins this deal, talent-wise, solidly
2) Brett P. wins this deal, character-wise, I'm not going to throw away my career cuz I'm an idiot, in a land-slide
3) Brett P. is in my goddamn division and his 3-4-5 is now Cabrera-Fielder-Holliday, or in whatever hellish combination he wants to put them in
4) Brett P. just set Nils back at least one year - perhaps permanently if Salty is the hitter he was when he got to Texas, and Greinke flakes out again (which people say is quite likely).
5) If this deal works out perfectly for Nils, he still probably loses...
6) Brett P. is in my division - I'm allowed to use that one twice

Don't know if I'm happy or sad about this trade. Yes, getting Holliday out of the NL West is a small victory for the other teams in the division, but Greinke should be good for 12-14 wins with a favorable projection, and Salty get the benefit of the doubt from DMB in next years projection.

The NL West will be highly competitive, but also very winable for all of teams there.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals trade<br>
Josh Fields, Kyle Lohse, , , , , , <br>to Cubs for<br>
Eric Chavez, Bronson Arroyo, Juan Uribe, , , , ,
Interesting deal - Gabe's taking a few gambles here - gambling that Chavez and Arroyo are on the decline (I'm not convinced on either), and that the holes in Fields' swing won't be figured out across the next few years. Uribe's clearly a toss-in, but this is a trade that looks even on paper - but could swing dramatically one way or the other within the next year.

On another note - I am of the opinion that people are no beginning to be scared to trade because of my posts. I take that as a compliment - if I'm wrong, PROVE me wrong. Make some trades!
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

RedSox trade<br>
2007 Draft, Pick 114, Kevin Millwood, Carlos Lee, , , , , <br>to Rangers for<br>
2007 Draft, Pick 13, Elijah Dukes, Andy LaRoche, , , , ,
I guess Bren REALLY wants prospects - because he picked up two real iffy ones (Dukes, #13) and one solid one w/ a tendency to strikeout (LaRoche) for a solid starter, a whatever pick, and an outstanding professional hitter in Lee. Bren's lineup definitely takes a big hit up front, and, unless Dukes turns it around, it's another questionable deal for the commish.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Now, there's a lot of opinion in there I could agree or disagree with, but saying Laroche has a tendency to strikeout is more than a bit unfair. He's had solid k/bb and k/ab rates throughout the minors, he certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt on 93 AB's before saying he's got ' a tendency to strikeout'.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Actually, this is my blog - I can say whatever the hell I want. If I choose to notice that Senor LaRoche struck out more then once in four plate appearances, then I'm pretty sure I can.
Royals

Post by Royals »

ha ha, you certainly can, but in making that observation, you're also ignoring that such a ratio is a small sample size (just over a month's worth) that's out of line with his career numbers.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

I thought that, big picture, this was a great trade for Bren. His lineup obviously takes a hit in the immediate, but that appears to be something that he's willing to take this year, a temporary step back in his lineup. Lee is an excellent hitter but he provides no defensive value, like my guy Cabrera he's basically a DH. Bren added two hitters that I like quite a bit, along with a pick that, if used properly, provides him with trade ammo when he's looking to upgrade his roster next spring/summer or whenever.

Miscellaneous stat:

Dukes BA: .190, Dukes OPS: 709
Vernon Wells BA: .245, Wells OPS: 706
Delmon Young BA: .288, Young OPS: 723

Dukes is going to be a really nice player...if people will let him keep playing baseball indefinitely.
Royals

Post by Royals »

I don't think the issue is people letting Dukes play, teams will always give players additional chances (see Josh Hamilton). The big issue is whether he stays out of jail or not.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

RedSox wrote:I don't think the issue is people letting Dukes play, teams will always give players additional chances (see Josh Hamilton). The big issue is whether he stays out of jail or not.
Well first of all, I consider staying out of jail as part of people allowing you to play (in this case, people=the law). But he is such a horrible guy that I can actually see him not get infinite chances just because he's good. He's way worse than Milton Bradley or Carl Everett or the like. Also, he is crazy enough to just quit, as he's almost done a few times.
Royals

Post by Royals »

I think if he was going to quit, he wouldn't be in the DSL right ow. This past season is about as bad a season as I can recall him having as far as off the field issues.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

RedSox wrote:I think if he was going to quit, he wouldn't be in the DSL right ow. This past season is about as bad a season as I can recall him having as far as off the field issues.
Just admit it. You're attracted to nut jobs. :)

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”