2016 Draft

Nick Perry's blog

Moderator: Phillies

Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

2016 Draft

Post by Phillies »

Pick 18 - Cal Quantrill

Born: Feb. 10, 1995. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 165. Drafted: Stanford, 2016 (1st round). Signed by: Sam Ray.

Background: The son of former Blue Jays all-star reliever Paul Quantrill was drafted by the Yankees in the 26th round out of high school. He instead went to Stanford, where he became the first freshman pitcher to start Opening Day since Mike Mussina in 1988. Quantrill pitched just three games as a sophomore before requiring Tommy John surgery, which kept him out all of his junior season as well. Undeterred, the Padres drafted him eighth overall and signed him for $3,963,045.

Scouting Report: Quantrill displayed no ill effects from surgery once he got into the Padres’ system, showing a 92-96 mph fastball and diving 81-84 mph changeup that was considered the best in the 2016 draft class. His slider showed vast improvement by sitting 83-84 mph with late bite to become an above-average offering. Quantrill’s command remains shaky post-surgery, but he was around the strike zone with all of his pitches during his pro debut. He possesses the poise and pitchability expected from the son of a former major leaguer, and his competitiveness earns raves.

Pick 95 - Austin Hays

Born: July 5, 1995. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 210. Drafted: Jacksonville, 2016 (3rd round). Signed by: Arthur McConnehead.

Background: Hays’ decorated amateur career included helping Spruce Creek High (just south of Daytona Beach, Fla.) to a state 8A championship as a junior and earning the No. 1 ranking on BA’s Florida Collegiate Summer League prospects list in 2014. He led the Atlantic Sun Conference with 16 homers in 2016, then led short-season Aberdeen with four more, all after missing a month with a sprained wrist.

Scouting Report: Hays has a better overall package of tools than Florida State outfielder D.J. Stewart, the club’s 2015 first-round pick. He has a chance to hit for average and power, showing the ability to hit to all fields. Hays shows above-average bat speed, creates leverage with his righthanded swing and is a high-energy player. Ranked as the No. 14 prospect in the short-season New York-Penn League, Hays hit .336 in his pro debut. His speed plays as above-average, and he played solid defense in right field, where he gets good reads and has a plus arm. Some club officials believe he may fit in center field.

Pick 99 - J.B. Woodman

Age: 21. B-T: L-R. Ht: 6-2. Wt: 195. Drafted: Mississippi, 2016 (2).

Woodman tied for the Southeastern Conference lead in home runs and showed an intriguing combination of power and speed this year that could allow him to be an offensive-minded center fielder. He played some right field toward the end of his tenure at Vancouver, and he has the power and arm strength to profile there if necessary.

Evaluators around the league noted that Woodman made a lot of hard contact and showed the ability to hit both fastballs and offspeed pitches equally well. He showed contact problems by ranking fifth in the league with 72 strikeouts. He’s a steady defender who gets good jumps and reads on balls and has speed enough to steal double-digit bases.

Pick 107 - Buddy Reed

One of the best all-around athletes in the 2016 Draft class, Reed has the chance to be a dynamic performer on both sides of the ball. Though he was viewed as a potential early-first-round pick heading into the spring, an inconsistent junior campaign for the Gators caused his stock fall late. But Padres were happy to find him still on the board in the second round, as they selected him with the 48th overall pick and then signed him for slightly over $1 million.

The switch-hitter has a tall, athletic build with the potential to do a lot of things well on the baseball field. A multisport standout in the Rhode Island high school ranks, Reed has plus speed that works on both sides of the ball. He should be a basestealing threat and can definitely stay in center field long-term. It's Reed's bat that needs the most work. He can make contact from both sides of the plate, but his setup and approach are inconsistent. Reed has strength, and he should grow into more, though his lack of extension from the left side could keep him from showing any power that way.

A tendency to be tentative at the plate has plagued Reed, and while he had some good stretches, he didn't drive the ball consistently this spring. Refining of Reed's approach should help him reach his offensive ceiling, though he may require additional time to develop.

CF Buddy Reed, the Padres’ second-rounder made his professional debut with the Dust Devils and showed gobs of potential. After a slow start, the athletic outfielder hit a solid .279/.354/.403 in the second half, with eight doubles and four triples. Reed also added 15 steals for the season and made several highlight reel catches while patrolling the outfield.

Pick 112 - Matt Krook

Krook developed serious control problems early this spring at Oregon and struggled to find the strike zone. Those problems carried over the to the NWL, where he walked more than 8.0 per nine innings. He also whiffed more than 10 per nine, and a dynamic arsenal remains apparent.

Krook’s fastball, which sits in the low 90s and can tick a little higher, features well above-average life that allows him to generate groundball outs at a high rate. He also owns a breaking ball and changeup that have earned plus grades from rival managers. He fails to repeat his release point, however, and struggles to maintain confidence in the face of persistent control problems. For example, in his final 15 innings in the NWL he gave up 23 hits and 22 walks while striking out 23.

Krook has had shoulder and elbow problems in the past, adding another red flag. He could be a dynamic reliever if he develops some semblance of control, and some scouts hold out hope he’ll throw enough strikes to remain a starter.

Here's to hoping Krook is this years Staumont.

Pick 132 - Joey Lucchesi

Age: 23. B-T: L-L. Ht: 6-5. Wt: 204. Drafted: Southeast Missouri State, 2016 (4).

A Northern California prep product, Lucchesi played two years at Chabot (Calif.) JC and two more at Southeast Missouri State, where in 2016 he led the country in strikeouts with 149 in 111 innings. The Padres handled him carefully at Tri-City, and he never threw more than four innings.

Lucchesi’s success stems from both deception in his delivery and command of three average to above-average pitches. His fastball sits in the low 90s and touched 96 mph. He can change the shape on his downer curveball, and his changeup also has earned above-average grades. All three pitches come out of the same slot, lending him command that helped him strike out 11.9 per nine innings in the NWL.

Because Lucchesi is 23, the Padres will probably push him in 2017.
Last edited by Phillies on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Can I just LOL in advance at these guys and your future writeups?
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

What's the fun in that?
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Apparently I liked the Padres draft. That can't be good...
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Pick 18 - Cal Quantrill - maybe not the ace some thought, but he looks like a no brainer as a #3 starter, possible a 2.
Pick 95 - Austin Hays - crushed this pick (suck it Pat). Good power/avg combo, but maybe light on the walks? Feels like Hunter Pence in his prime kinda guy. Either way, looks like he'll be a very good major leaguer. Traded him for JP Crawford, who I then traded a couple days later. Who knows what the fuck I'm doing anymore? I don't.
Pick 99 - J.B. Woodman - was a cut candidate, but I want to see what the Cardinals can do with him. Seems they turn any player into a good outfielder.
Pick 107 - Buddy Reed - Sucks. Cut.
Pick 112 - Matt Krook - Big tall lefty that either strikes you out or walks you. There's value in that. Still like him, but needs to cut the walks.
Pick 132 - Joey Lucchesi - really good numbers, sure thing big leaguer. BA sees #4 starter, but definitely a late inning reliever floor.

I finally started doing homework for these drafts and it actually paid off. Go figure. 3 of these guys are hits, 1 is still a prospect, other two not so much.
Phillies

Re:

Post by Phillies »

Phillies wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:43 pm Pick 18 - Cal Quantrill - maybe not the ace some thought, but he looks like a no brainer as a #3 starter, possible a 2.
Pick 95 - Austin Hays - crushed this pick (suck it Pat). Good power/avg combo, but maybe light on the walks? Feels like Hunter Pence in his prime kinda guy. Either way, looks like he'll be a very good major leaguer. Traded him for JP Crawford, who I then traded a couple days later. Who knows what the fuck I'm doing anymore? I don't.
Pick 99 - J.B. Woodman - was a cut candidate, but I want to see what the Cardinals can do with him. Seems they turn any player into a good outfielder.
Pick 107 - Buddy Reed - Sucks. Cut.
Pick 112 - Matt Krook - Big tall lefty that either strikes you out or walks you. There's value in that. Still like him, but needs to cut the walks.
Pick 132 - Joey Lucchesi - really good numbers, sure thing big leaguer. BA sees #4 starter, but definitely a late inning reliever floor.

I finally started doing homework for these drafts and it actually paid off. Go figure. 3 of these guys are hits, 1 is still a prospect, other two not so much.
4 good picks here. Shame I felt this way about one of them: "Sucks. Cut."

Sigh

Return to “Phillies”