Draft pick compensation discussion

Moderator: Executive Committee

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Draft pick compensation discussion

Post by Guardians »

Since my September injury thread went nowhere, let's try a new topic: Draft pick miss compensation. As I posted the Power Rankings I noticed this thread, which made me laugh out loud:

viewtopic.php?t=5869

If a team misses a pick, should they be allowed the last pick in the current round to make up that pick? I'm ok with that.

What about in the case of a "messed up" pick? It happens every year. I understand Z's point on his mess up vs. mine and Stephen's this year. However, we addressed ours as soon as it happened -- Z waited a while and many picks were made in between. Then, he did it again. Comedy.

Is there any difference between messing up picks and missing picks for this purpose? My biggest concern is that if someone makes a pick, potentially alters other picks and then that GM says he messed up. So, we then put that player back out there and cause others to say, "Well, I would have picked X instead of Y if he were out there, but he was picked with the "messed up" pick and now we have a chain reaction of events where we're delaying the draft to correct.

So, for that reason, I'm concerned about the messed up pick fix. I guess it could happen now, but if you mess up and fix immediately, maybe that solves it? Do we give a time or pick duration window to catch your blunder? Thoughts?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I think if you mess up, it has to be an instantaneous fix. Like, as soon as the pick is made he's posting that he screwed up.

As far as missed picks, I'm ok with them making it up whenever they can. The penalty is built into the deed here, since you're losing value with every pick that goes by.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I'm okay with instant fix on messed up picks and making up missed picks as soon as you're back.

I think the mess up has to be obvious though (picking a guy with the same name, next name in alpha order, etc.) not just "I wanted to pick someone different than that".

Return to “ExCo General”