2014/15 Draft

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

2014/15 Draft

Post by Yankees »

Round 1, Pick 13: Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway HS - What Holmes does not have left in physical projection, he features in downright dirty, power stuff. Holmes gets his moving fastball up to 97 mph with excellent control on it. His power downer curve is already seen as a plus pitch, with easy double plus potential with improved command. His changeup has plus potential, and he successfully experimented with a two-seam fastball this fall that should become part of his arsenal. The upside with hitting his physical peak is that he can focus on tightening his plus stuff through development, not wonder what's coming and working through that. He could start 2015 in full-season ball, and has true #2 potential.

Round 2, Pick 35: Derek Hill, OF, Elk Grove HS - My guess is that Hill dropped because of some struggles in his first run at pro ball, but after a good start, he had some injuries that set his first season back. The son of a professional hitting coach and blessed with double plus speed, Hill has the potential to be a top-of-the-order hitter with below average power, but excellent contact ability and approach. Where Hill excels, regardless of the bat development, is in the field. He's already an outstanding center fielder, who most considered the best in he 2014 draft, college or pro. He should start 2015 as a 19 year old in full season ball, and the bat will dictate his progress.

Round 2, Pick 42: Derek Fisher, OF, University of Virginia - The owner of one of the sweetest swings in the draft, Fisher is an incredibly toolsy college prospect. He is a plus contact hitter with emerging power, an above average athlete and runner, saw his arm play up in the NYPL, and is an indifferent defender with plus potential on a corner. Recently ranked as the #18 fantasy prospect in this draft by Bret Sayre, Fisher will be a slower burn than most first round college prospects, but his upside is that of someone who could hit anywhere from 1st to 5th in an order.

Round 2, Pick 48: Jakson Reetz, C, Norris HS - There's no question that Reetz will be a longer development path, but few, if any catchers in this draft offer the all-around game that Reetz does. He's a plus athlete for a catcher, receives well behind the plate, and has the potential for a plus-plus arm. At the plate, he takes a mature approach, has plus raw power, and the potential to be a plus hitter down the line. He's raw in every department, but every evaluation on him agrees, he's worth the wait.

Round 3, Pick 78: Joshua Morgan, 2b/ss, Orange Lutheran HS - For a high school pick, Morgan is a pretty safe one. He has a quick bat, tremendous bat-to-ball skills, a terrific approach at the plate (23/29 k/bb), and was a very positive surprise with his defense at SS. The bat may outpace the growth at short, so a move to second may come down the line...but the Rangers have absolutely no reason to move him at the moment.

Round 3, Pick 90: Jake Reed, rp, University of Oregon - Reed didn't so much pitch in MiLB this past season, as he did completely make it his bitch. After being drafted, Reed threw 31 ip's across two levels...the damage? A 0.29 era. A 0.45 whip. An 11.3 k/9 and 10.3 k/bb ratio. The man allowed 11 h's & 0 hr's in 31 ip's. He throws a vicious, moving fastball that gets into the upper 90's and an almost double plus breaker...and he does it from a distraction high sidearm slot. He should move fast and profiles as a setup man.
Last edited by Yankees on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I tried to trade down from 6 and Holmes was one of the guys I wanted. Nice pick
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

There it is, the draft is complete. I got the person I was targeting at 5 of 6 spots, and while I didn't get the person I wanted at 35...I wasn't expecting Derek Hill to be there either.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Quick Review: Last one! Odd that for a draft this old, so much of it is still up in the air (from a prospect standpoint). None of them are still on my team.

Grant Holmes: He just won't die as a prospect. Still only 21, he keeps putting up seasons just good enough to stay on the prospect radar, but just bad enough for people to wonder how legit he still is. Traded.
Derek Hill: Little like the cf version of Holmes. Does just enough to remain interesting...but not nearly enough considering his ceiling as a Gold Glove winning lead-off CF. Traded.
Derek Fisher: Big hit here. Fisher has already contributed to a World Series winner, and just won't stop hitting wherever he is. Whenever he can find consistent AB's, he'll be fun. Traded.
Jakson Reetz: Just can't quit him yet. Still only 22, still a very good defensive C, still gets on base, and still has power potential. Just none of it on the same night. I've got an eye here, too. Traded.
Josh Morgan: Had helium prospect status for a minute, alongside a pseudo-switch to C, but has settled into 'nice prospect' status. He'll make MLB, but not as a consistent contributor. Traded.
Jake Reed: He's dealt at almost every stop, but he's 25 and, as a reliever, it's time for him to contribute. Worth keeping an eye on, but missing those video game numbers. Traded.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”