Oscar Taveras - RIP

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Oscar Taveras - RIP

Post by Yankees »

Wow...just blown away. His death was confirmed by Passan just a few minutes ago.

Gone WAY too soon...
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Holy shit
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Shocked.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I remember so many minute details about the day Darryl Kile died. I can remember conversations I had with customers in the check out line, I even remember what one guy was wearing. That absolutely broke my heart. I can't wrap my head around this. I keep hoping they'll say reports were wrong and that he's in the hospital or something. I'm just numb
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Just devastated... It's very selfish of me to think about how we never got a chance to see him reach his full potential. So sad for his family and friends. I saw Kolten Wong tweeted his sympathies. I heard those two were about attached at the hip coming up thru the Cards system together. I hope he can stay strong. I remember how sad it was watching Matt Morris really struggle with the loss of Darryl Kile. So sad, RIP Oscar.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I keep playing the What If game. What if Matheny started him against right handers in the playoffs? That series turns out different possibly. Hell even if it goes a game longer and the Giants still win, he may not have been on the road today making that trip. Every time I'm at Busch next year, every game I watch on MLB.tv and look out to right field, I'll know it should be him there. Every MP I send in with Scott Van Slyke or whoever ends up in right, I'll know it should be Oscar. I agree Steve, I hope the guys that were close to him like Wong and Martinez can hold up, Morris was never the same after DK died
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Cardinals wrote:I keep playing the What If game. What if Matheny started him against right handers in the playoffs? That series turns out different possibly. Hell even if it goes a game longer and the Giants still win, he may not have been on the road today making that trip. Every time I'm at Busch next year, every game I watch on MLB.tv and look out to right field, I'll know it should be him there. Every MP I send in with Scott Van Slyke or whoever ends up in right, I'll know it should be Oscar. I agree Steve, I hope the guys that were close to him like Wong and Martinez can hold up, Morris was never the same after DK died

Can't think about it that way. It can happen any time, any where. I was on my way to the Cardinals-Cubs game in 2007 when I was told the game was cancelled due to Josh Hancock being killed in a car accident.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

I said this on fb.. So I'll just repost it here..

I am shocked. This young man had a very bright future in the game, and it was just getting started. I may not like the Cardinals, but the game is bigger than any one team. And its the game I love most of all. I'm truly saddened.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Truly awful. Feel really, really bad for his family and his girlfriend's family. Baseball comes second for sure here. But yeah, awful all around for him, his family, the Cardinals family and everybody in general. He was born in friggin 1992. Just not right.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

So people still feeling sad for him or just his girlfriend now?
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Both. It doesn't make it any less of a tragedy. Conflicted feelings a bit, sure. Major mistake? Yup. Paid the ultimate price? Yup.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Yeah, doesn't make it any less sad. Maybe even more so.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I did a lot of stupid crap when I was his age (and still do pretty stupid crap), so I still feel bad about the whole thing. I'm also not that surprised. In an interview in Spanish right after the incident, Carlos Martinez said he suspected alcohol was involved. Said he didn't really like the crowd Taveras was hanging out with and begged him to come spend some time with his family since he was worried that something bad was going to happen.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”