Following the Baby Nats...

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Andrew Susac, C, Giants (Scottsdale Scorpions): 2-3, R, HR, 2 BB. Susac has decent power and a patient approach at the plate, so games like he had on Wednesday are certainly a possibility. He’s not a great overall hitter and needs to work on his receiving behind the plate, but with decent pop and on-base skills, he’ll get a chance to move up as a catcher.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Ryan (Cincy): Any of these prospects jump off the board for you? Rosell Herrera, Nick Williams, Ryan McMahon, Arismendy Alcantara, and Jesse Winker. What are your thoughts? Thanks Ben!

Ben Lindbergh: Last pinch hitting appearance from Mark Anderson: "The two that jump out the most to me are Williams and Alcantara. Williams is a gifted natural hitter and he could be an impact bat at the highest level. Alcantara can contribute in all phases of the game and he has some thump in his bat as well. I really like what Alcantara brings to the table. I've always been partial to Herrera and think he may have finally turned a corner in 2013, but I'm still a little skeptical of him."
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rangers BP Rankings

9. Lewis Brinson
2013 Stats: .237/.322/.427 at Low-A Hickory (122 games)
The Tools: 6+ run; 6 power potential; 6 arm; 6 potential glove

What Happened in 2013: My biggest regret in 2013 was not dressing up like Lewis Brinson’s 38 percent K rate and scaring members of the Rangers’ front office on Halloween.

Strengths: Loud impact tools; plus athlete; plus raw power; plus arm; plus-plus potential glove; no doubt centerfielder at the highest level; plus run; feel for the game; hard worker/good makeup.

Weaknesses: Elite level swing-and-miss; noisy feet in the box; inconsistent setups; recognition/reaction skills are lacking; hit tool is poor; could limit any/all of the power utility.

Overall Future Potential: 7; all-star player

Realistic Role: High 4; fourth/fifth outfielder

Risk Factor/Injury History: Extreme risk; more than a two-grade jump from realistic role to OFP.

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy Take: It’s much tougher to see a road to Brinson being a fantasy stud, but it’s still there if you squint. In shallower leagues, he’s a player to target later on in drafts because his potential is something that is very tough to find on the waiver wire. But in points leagues, his strikeouts are a huge drawback.

The Year Ahead: I really love to watch Lewis Brinson, as he has everything you want to see in a young superstar talent: four tools with plus (or better) projections and very good makeup. But the swing-and-miss he showed in 2013 was historically bad, and the list of players with 38 percent K rates in Low-A that turned into quality major leaguers won’t cramp your hand to produce. Because of the skill set in center field, as well as the raw power and the plus run, Brinson is still a safe bet to reach the highest level, but without substantial improvement to the hit tool, Brinson won’t sniff the ceiling his raw physical gifts suggest is possible. I think he needs to repeat Low-A and find some consistency and comfort in his swing. Yet another player you can afford to be extra patient with in the developmental process. The end result is more than worth it.

Major League ETA: 2017
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Cubs BA Top 10

7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2b/ss

Background: As a 2008 signee, Alcantara has the longest tenure in the organization of any of the system’s Top 10 prospects, most of whom were acquired by the previous administration. Holdovers and newcomers alike admire Alcantara’s combination of aptitude and athleticism which began to come together in 2012 and resulted in a 2013 Futures Game spot.

Scouting Report: Alcantara played shortstop in the first half for Double-A Tennessee, then moved to second base in deference to Javier Baez. He has a plus arm that plays at short but is a true weapon at second base, especially when it comes to turning the double play. His hands are a bit hard and fit better at second, where he has above-average potential. A plus runner with first-step quickness, Alcantara is an adept basestealer, and an improved approach at the plate helped him triple his walk rate, meaning more chances to steal. More deep counts meant more strikeouts but also more plus counts, unleashing the solid-average power in Alcantara’s short, compact swing. He ranked second in the Southern League in doubles and extra-base hits (55).

The Future: With all the Cubs’ infield options, Alcantara may be the most versatile piece. He’d fit as a super-utility player and has the tools to play center field well. He was playing second base for Licey in the Dominican League and heads to Triple-A for 2014.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pitcher of the Day: Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Blue Jays (Salt River Rafters): 5 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K. This is a picture of what a dominant box score looks like, and Sanchez has the ability to dominate at times. When he throws strikes and has his command, Sanchez can make pitching look easy. Sanchez’s velocity was actually down a smidge on Friday, with his fastball sitting just below 95 mph, but reigning things in clearly worked for him.

Seeing it Well
Addison Russell, SS, A’s (Mesa Solar Sox): 3-5, 3 R, 3B, K. Despite being one of the youngest players in the AFL, Russell is holding his own in all aspects of his game. He’s a stud, and if you believe he can remain at SS, he’s one of the best prospects in the game.

Maikel Franco, 3B, Phillies (Gigantes del Cibao, DWL): 3-4, 2 R, 2B. Franco continues to hit this winter despite showing off little power (his best tool) and is now hitting .345 for the Dominican Winter League season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Hitter of the Day: Addison Russell, SS, A’s (Mesa Solar Sox): 3-5, R, 2B, K. There were a few questions about Russell when he was drafted in 2012, but there are very few surrounding him now. Still shy of his 20th birthday, Russell has handled every assignment put in front of him to this point and is now hitting .307 in the AFL. The strikeouts are a little bit of a concern, but as long as he keeps producing, no one will notice.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

A's BP Rankings

1. Addison Russell
The Tools: 6 potential hit/power; 6 arm; 6 potential glove

What Happened in 2013: As a 19-year-old, Russell jumped straight to the High-A level, and more than held his own against older competition, slugging 56 extra-base hits and stealing 21 bags.

Strengths: Legit offensive upside; hands are very good; gets extension and can drive the ball; plus raw power; shows bat speed; feeds on velocity; good baseball instincts; excellent actions in the field; can make the plays; arm is plus.

Weaknesses: Can get too fast on defense; will rush setup/footwork; good instincts but range could be issue in the future; bat can get loose; swing-and-miss; will expand and chase for spin.

Overall Future Potential: 7; all-star player

Realistic Role: 6; first-division player

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; advanced player; ready for Double-A

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy Take: A top-10 overall fantasy prospect, Russell has a shot at becoming one of the most sought-after commodities in fantasy baseball: a middle infielder who can contribute in all five categories. Playing in Oakland might put a slight damper on his raw stats, but this is still a player who could hit .280-plus with 20-20 potential. He’s a keeper.

The Year Ahead: Russell is on the fast track to the majors, and with a strong start in Double-A could find himself in Oakland before the end of the season. His overall profile is special, but you can raise some red flags if you use a sharp enough lens; the actions are sweet at short but the range isn’t ideal and he can play a bit hard, and at the plate his swing can be too power driven with early extension on an exaggerated plane. Even if he moves to third down the line, which I don’t think is a given, the bat will not only play but allow him to reach a first-division status. If he sticks at short—which I believe he can—he’s a perennial all-star caliber player. Either way, the future is bright.

Major league ETA: Late 2014[/i]
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Domingo Santana, RF, Astros (Tigres del Licey, DWL): 2-4, K. Santana’s .250/.341/.500 line in 14 games this winter in on par with his regular season performance and skill set. He’s not a great hitter and is aggressive at the plate, but neither is a big enough problem to offset his plus power.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Proper Name: Aaron Sanchez

Overview: “It was my first time seeing Sanchez and I was impressed. He has a great pitcher’s body—think Orel Hershiser—long arms and legs. He has a live, loose arm, easy arm action and a smooth, effortless delivery from a high three-quarters slot. He looks like he will be durable and able to pitch a lot of innings (though he has not in the minors to date). His minor league numbers thus far are pretty impressive. It shouldn’t take long for this guy to be in Toronto on the 25-man roster.”

Fastball
Future Grade: 70
His fastball was up to 97 mph when I saw him and he sat at 94-95 and maintained that velocity for five innings. He had above-average life on the fastball. He recorded some strikeouts up in the zone and had arm-side run. I just liked the life that the fastball had. Some guys throw that hard and get hit all over the place because their fastball is so true. Hitters had trouble not only catching up to his fastball but also squaring it up, which is a good sign. His fastball command was fringy. I’m going to give him average command, possibly a little better in the future.

Breaking Ball

Future Grade: 60
His breaking ball was a curveball with 11-to-5 break and pretty hard (79-81 mph). He threw a harder version of it at times, more slurvy with a little more velocity (83-84). His breaking ball had some depth and was pretty tight. He threw it behind in the count a few times, which shows he has confidence in it. It’s a solid-average pitch at this point and will be a plus pitch as he continues to develop it. His command of the pitch was solid-average as well.

Changeup
What’s surprising is that an 88-mph changeup can be so effective. You see the velocity on the pitch and you get the feel of a batting-practice fastball, but when he’s running it up there at 96-97 on the fastball, there really is a significant speed difference. He had plus movement (both sink and run) and struck out multiple hitters with this pitch. The movement combined with the arm speed and deception made this pitch really tough on hitters. It’s going to be a plus pitch for him.

Makeup/Intangibles
Off-the-chart work ethic, humility, competitive fire and a desire to be great are some of the intangibles that this guy possesses, according to the baseball people who know him well. One scout described him as “a first-class person from a great family.” Makeup is always a separator and all indications are that he has the mental makeup to succeed at the highest level.

Overall:
He’s got the stuff to be a No. 2 starter in the majors. His hits-allowed-to-innings-pitched ratio in the minors is outstanding. He’s got more than one strikeout pitch and is going to get some swings-and-misses. If he can get his command and improve his breaking ball just one notch, he will definitely be a front-line starter. If not, he still has the stuff to be a starter or even a closer at the major league level. I think he has enough of a repertoire to be starter. He should be in Double-A next summer at 21 and possibly compete to make the club out of spring training. Realistically, he starts the 2014 season in the minors with the possibility of being called up due to an injury or need at the major league level.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Stefen Romero, LF, Mariners (Peoria Javelinas): 2-4, R, HR. Now that he’s done pretending to be a second baseman, Romero can focus on being a quality hitter, which he is. Whether or not he has enough power to play every day in a corner outfield spot remains to be seen, however. He’s going to need that power because he doesn’t get on base a ton.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Aaron Sanchez, RHP, Blue Jays (Salt River Rafters): 5 IP, 6 H, R, 2 BB, 3 K. This wasn’t the dominant version of Sanchez that we’ve seen before, but you can get out of a lot of jams with a 95-mph fastball.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Bobby (Long Island)
Your thoughts on Addison Russell sir.

Klaw (1:11 PM)
Future superstar. Healthy Tulowitzki type but with better hands.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

James (San Diego)
AFL aside, what does the future hold for Aaron Sanchez?

Klaw (1:36 PM)
Ace potential, but I've outlined my concerns with his delivery and still think that is a serious obstacle for him and the Jays.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Ben (New York): Your biggest under-the-radar prospect that could sneak into Top 50 status by year-end 2014 is _______?

Mark Anderson: Arismendy Alcantara isn't really under the radar any more, but he's going to make some jumps (even more than he already has) over the next 12 months.

Greg (Oakland): Tell me all your thoughts on Addison Russell?

Mark Anderson: Russell is one of the best shortstop prospects in the game. He's got the actions, athleticism and arm to stick at the position long term. The hit and power tools are both going to play at the highest level. I think he's a potential star in the making.

petelunchbox (Handsome City): Has the consensus on Maikel Franco shifted since mid-season? It seems like at that point most seemed to think that while his power was legit his hitting mechanics had flaws that would be exposed at higher levels. Now most things on him seem to have a rosier glow. Did his consistency through the end of the year shift perception?

Mark Anderson: I think astute evaluators still note the issues with the swing and the approach and question whether it will consistently work at the highest level. He's going to be a streaky hitter no matter how you look at him, but I think the sustained performance after promotion helped his stock some.

Scott (Tampa): Do you expect David Dahl to repeat Low A after missing basically the entire season? What about his possible ETA?

Mark Anderson: I think Dahl has to repeat Low-A. I wouldn't put it past him to rake and move to High-A around mid-season, but he has to show something before going there. I think he's likely three years away at a minimum; putting him in 2016 sometime.

Chris (Phoenix): I love a good raw prospect but does Lewis Brinson's K rate scare the tar out of you and his ability to play in the upper minors? What is his ceiling as well?

Mark Anderson: His ceiling is crazy high, but when you start getting into a realistic role, that evaluation has to change dramatically. If the strikeout rate and overall issues with consistent contact don't scare you with Brinson -- or Gallo for that matter -- then I'm not sure you have a pulse. I love Brinson and can't wait to see him progress through the system to see how this plays out, but I'm certainly cautious.

Rob (Alaska): I'll go ahead and apologize for the blatant fantasy question, but in a medium-deep keeper league looking for lottery tickets, which one of Gabriel Guerrero, Manuel Margot, Franklin Barreto, Amed Rosario, and Ronald Guzman would you want?

Mark Anderson: You can't really go wrong with any of them if you're looking for lottery tickets. I've been particularly impressed with the reports on Rosario, but my eyes tell me Margot might be the guy I'd put my money on.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

IBC Nats blew up the AFL rankings...

2. Addison Russell, ss, Mesa/Athletics

Another of the four AFL teenagers, Russell, the Athletics’ 2012 first round pick, anchored the middle infield for a very talented Mesa team. Scouts like the intensity that Russell shows on the field, and believe that he stepped up his game in the fall after a strong season spent mostly at the high Class A level with a brief cameo in Triple-A at the end of the year. He’s a quick-twitch athlete with a complete set of tools who is projected to get stronger as he gets older. While some observers question whether he’ll stay at shortstop long term, he currently shows the arm and range to handle the position although he needs to improve his footwork. Regardless of his ultimate position, Russell will have the bat to be a significant contributor at the big league level. “It’s not ‘if’ he’ll make it,” said Mesa Solar Sox manager Bill Richardson, “but ‘how soon’.”

5. Austin Hedges, c, Peoria/Padres

AFL fans were fortunate to be able to regularly watch two of the best young catching prospects in baseball this fall, with scouts mixed as to which is the better prospect between Jorge Alfaro, 20, and San Diego backstop Austin Hedges. Scouts and AFL managers all praised Hedges, 21, for his catch & throw skills, with a quick release and a strong arm. Like Alfaro, he took advantage of his time in the spotlight during the annual Fall Stars game televised on MLB Network by gunning down both runners that tried to steal against him. He threw out a very impressive 12 of 22 runners during the regular fall season. Hedges’ bat lags behind his glove right now, but he projects to have enough stick to hold down a starting job in the big leagues. Right now he has more gap power but should develop more over the fence pop as he gets stronger, and is expected to hit for average. Scouts were so mixed on the long-term upside of Alfaro and Hedges that they really could have been ranked 5a and 5b.

7. Aaron Sanchez, rhp, Salt River/Blue Jays

Sanchez, 21, was solid all fall, posting a 1.16 ERA and .151 OBA in six outings. Toronto’s supplemental first round pick (34th overall) in the 2010 draft was coming off a strong season in the Florida State League where he ranked as the 10th overall prospect. The righthander has easy velocity up to 97 mph with good life, as well as a future plus curveball and a changeup with good sink and run. He struggles with his control at times, walking 11 batters in 23 1/3 innings, similar to his walks per nine innings during the regular season. Sanchez projects as a No. 2 starter at the big league level if his control improves significantly, or he could be a dominant closer.

12. Drew Hutchison, rhp, Salt River/Blue Jays

Hutchison, 23, had Tommy John surgery after starting 11 games in the big leagues in 2012, returning to start 10 games at the end of the 2013 season. He pitched effectively in his six AFL outings, with an impressive 20-6 strikeout to walk rate in 21 2/3 innings. Nothing in his repertoire wows observers, but he’s got four average or better pitches and is an effective strike thrower. The fastball ranges from 91-94 mph and for a different look he’ll flash a cutter that he throws at 88-90 mph. Rounding out the arsenal are a decent slider and changeup. Hutchison has a good shot at the Toronto rotation next spring if he continues to demonstrate he’s fully recovered from his surgery.

14. Matt Purke, lhp, Mesa/Nationals

Purke, 23, has battled injuries since his days at Texas Christian but looked solid in the AFL after pitching in 18 regular season games. He was lights out in his first three starts, going 12 innings without an earned run before tiring. Scouts noticed that his arm action was more fluid than in past years, giving him a more effortless delivery. Purke’s fastball was in the 92-93 range and he commands it to both sides of the plate. He’s got a plus changeup and his breaking ball is a slurvy pitch that he throws for strikes. Purke projects as a middle of the rotation starter with the chance to move quickly with a strong performance in spring training, if he can stay healthy.

Andrew Susac, c, Scottsdale/Giants

Susac, 23, took what was probably the biggest step forward of AFL player with his performance in the league. Scouts now see the Oregon State product, a second-round pick in 2011, as a future big league regular. He hit consistently well all year, batting .360/.507/.480 and leading the league in on-base average, in part because of his 16 walks, while also showing impressive power to all fields and driving balls into the gaps. Susac has a slightly above-average arm, throwing out 25 percent of the runners attempting to steal against him, and needs to continue to improve his defense behind the plate.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

padremurph (San Diego): Does any system have more pitching depth than the Padres? Which Padres arm has the highest ceiling?

Jason Parks: They have a lot of depth, but there are other teams that can stand with them when it comes to pitching (the Jays, for example). The highest ceiling arm in that system is probably Fried; although you can't ignore the potential of Ross or Wisler, the latter possessing the highest floor of that trio.

Paul (DC): Is it closer to a 10% or a 50% chance that Addison Russell gets a cup of coffee in Oakland next year?

Jason Parks: I think he plays in Oakland in 2014, quite possibly before September

TPX2 (Taiwan): Austin Hedges or Jorge Alfaro?

Jason Parks: Alfaro has the highest ceiling. But if I'm starting a team, I'm taking Hedges.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

I know you guys missed me on these...

Padres BA Top 10

1. Austin Hedges, c

Background: Hedges knows how to stand out from a crowd. Southern California area scouts regarded him as one of the finest defensive catchers they had seen at the high school level, the product of six years under the wing of JSerra High coach Brett Kay, a former catcher at Cal State Fullerton and in the Mets system. The Padres nabbed Hedges with the 82nd pick in the 2011 draft and lured the strong student away from a UCLA commitment with a $3 million bonus. Evaluators have singled him out as best defensive catcher and one of the top handful of position prospects in the low Class A Midwest (2012) and high Class A California (2013) leagues in successive years. Hedges finished 2013 at Double-A San Antonio as the Missions barreled toward the Texas League title. He started eight of 10 playoff games, including two shutouts against Arkansas in the finals. He might have reached Double-A even sooner had he not missed most of May with a deep bone bruise on his left hand, the result of being hit by a pitch.

Scouting Report: Hedges impressed the Padres by launching home runs during batting practice at Petco Park the summer after he signed. While he has strength and explosiveness to his swing, his ticket to the All-Star Game will be equal parts power and defensive prowess. Strong technique and abundant confidence are apparent in the way he sets targets for his pitchers, receives the ball and shifts his feet while blocking balls in the dirt or firing missiles to second base. He records consistent 1.8-second pop times and has thrown out more than one-third of basestealers in each of the past two seasons. His plus arm plays up due to accuracy and a quick release. Being ahead of the curve defensively has allowed Hedges to study the art of game-calling and refine his hitting technique at a stage where most catchers are grinding through fundamentals. Scouts almost uniformly view Hedges as a good bet to hit and an even better one to deliver extra-base power. He strikes the ball with a quick, balanced swing, hitting enough line drives to keep his average in the black while not striking out excessively. Hedges can pull the ball for power, but he’s most effective against all pitch types when using the whole field. An energetic presence on the field, Hedges has a durable frame, though he won’t beat out many infield hits with below-average speed.

The Future: The Padres have Hedges on the express train to San Diego, and when he reaches his destination they envision him as a first-division catcher who can affect the game on both sides of the ball. He made quick work of Class A, then spent his offseason in the Arizona Fall League, where he threw out 12 of 22 basestealers, and he will begin his age-21 season back at Double-A. Despite the defensive demands of his position, he may not require much more than another season of development before he’s ready for the big leagues, putting him on target for a 2015 arrival.

2. Matt Wisler, rhp

Background: The Padres drafted five righthanders before calling Wisler’s name in 2011, but the seventh-rounder has rocketed to the head of the class after forgoing an Ohio State commitment to sign for $500,000. Following a six-start tuneup at high Class A in 2013, he advanced to the Double-A San Antonio rotation and thrived as a 20-year-old, especially in the Texas League playoffs when he allowed one run in 16 innings, striking out 13.

Scouting Report: Wisler pounds both sides of the plate with a 92-93 mph heater that features plus life and solid sinking action. He can dial his fastball up to 95 mph when he needs it, though he just as effectively deploys an assortment of quality secondary pitches, including a low-80s slider that grades as plus. Just when opposing hitters begin looking for the hard stuff, Wisler will drop in an average changeup or, later in the game, a fringy mid-70s curveball. With a career walk rate of 2.3 per nine innings, he shows exceptional control for a young power pitcher, and for the second straight season he decimated righthanded batters, striking out one-third of the 279 he faced and holding them to a .184 average. He’ll need to tighten his secondary pitches to combat lefties, who made considerably more contact while hitting .254 and slugging .421.

The Future: Wisler’s mental toughness, competitive streak and poise put him on the fast track, and the Padres won’t back off now that he’s ready for Triple-A. Wisler has No. 2 starter upside and might be a callup candidate to San Diego in the second half.

3. Max Fried, lhp

Background: The seventh overall pick in 2012, Fried paired with fellow Harvard-Westlake School product Lucas Giolito, now the Nationals’ No. 1 prospect, to become the seventh pair of high school teammates selected in the first round of the same draft. Signed for $3 million, Fried advanced to low Class A Fort Wayne in 2013 and made all 23 of his starts in a six-man rotation. His strikeout (7.6 per nine innings) and walk (4.2) rates ranked among the highest in the Midwest League for ERA qualifiers.

Scouting Report: Fried can spin a plus curveball and has two other pitches that scouts grade favorably, but what enhances his ceiling is the projection remaining in his lean 6-foot-4 frame. He fires 90-91 mph fastballs and tops out at 95 in each start—doing so from a textbook delivery and clean arm action—and scouts project a future plus fastball once he’s done filling out. Fried’s power curve turns the most heads for its tight rotation and top-to-bottom spin, and it was responsible for claiming the most strikeout victims. His changeup came a long way in 2013 as he began incorporating into his everyday repertoire. The Padres believe Fried’s walk rate will drop once he challenges hitters more frequently in the zone.

The Future: A three-pitch lefty who misses bats and has a good pickoff move, Fried will zoom through the minors if he throws more strikes. He has No. 2 starter upside, with a chance to jump quickly to Double-A if he excels early at high Class A Lake Elsinore in 2014.
Last edited by Yankees on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Boo yah...

Kelly (Saint Cloud, MN): How many of these guys are likely to make the top 100?

Matt Eddy: I draw the line between Casey Kelly and Rymer Liriano. Hedges, Wisler and Fried are likely top 50 prospects, while Renfroe and Kelly would be contenders for the final quarter of the list.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Do people still say "Boo ya?" Hmmm..interesting.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

FanGraphs Giants Top 10

#2 Edwin Escobar | 60/AA (P)

The Year in Review: It seemed like such an innocuous trade at the time. On April 1, 2010, the Texas Rangers were looking to secure the rights to Rule 5 draftee Ben Snyder, whom they had no spot for on the 25-man roster. In return for that honour, the Rangers agreed to part with Escobar who signed out of Venezuela for a six-figure bonus in 2008 but had just 13 games of professional experience at the time. Fast-forward four seasons and Escobar is the second-highest rated prospect in the Giants system after a year that saw him split his time between High-A and Double-A. In total, he struck out 146 batters in 128.2 innings and was taken deep just five times.

The Scouting Report: Escobar isn’t flashy but he gets results. The lefty has a three-pitch repertoire that could boast a trifecta of average or better pitches as he matures. His fastball velocity is average, or a tick above, at 88-92 mph. His second best offering is his curveball but the changeup also has its moments. Escobar shows above-average control but he needs to command his pitches on a more consistent basis. He’s averaged just under 130 innings pitched over the past two seasons.

The Year Ahead: If Escobar comes out with a strong spring training, he could receive an opening day assignment to Triple-A. More than likely, though, he’ll return to Double-A for a little more seasoning before moving up to either Triple-A or the Majors.

The Career Outlook: The southpaw starter has the makings of a durable, innings-eating No. 2 or 3 starter. Escobar continues to look like a steal for Snyder, who never did reach the Majors and last pitched in the minors in 2012. The talent evaluator who recommended the acquisition deserves a raise from the Giants.

#6 Mac Williamson | 55/A+ (OF)

The Year in Review: Williamson, 23, enjoyed his time in the California League. He wasn’t exactly young for the league but he impressed the organization when he slugged 25 home runs. He also produced a .375 on-base percentage thanks to an unexpectedly-high batting average. On the downside, he struck out 132 times in 136 games.

The Scouting Report: Williamson’s carrying tool is his plus power. His hit tool projects as average-at-best because of his swing-and-miss tendencies. He could end up offering 20+ home run pop with a .240 to 250 batting average but his decent walk rate helps him compensate a bit for his shortcomings. In the field, he has the potential to be an average right-fielder with an above-average arm.

The Year Ahead: Williamson will face a stiffer test when he opens 2014 in Double-A, a more age-appropriate league for him. There is no disputing his pop but the powerful outfielder needs to work on improving his pitch recognition. Look for the North Carolina native to make his MLB debut at some point in 2015.

The Career Outlook: The Wake Forest alum probably won’t ever be a star but he could be a value big leaguer because of his powerful arm and potent right-handed pop.

Andrew Susac, C: Susac’s bat hasn’t been quite as good as advertised since signing as a second round pick in 2011 but he’s made significant strides behind the plate. The California native should provide at least average big league defense in his prime. His bat is another story but he’s been pushed aggressively through the system and began his first pro season in High-A ball. He played in Double-A in 2013. The right-handed hitter had a nice showing in the Arizona Fall League, which provides some hope that his offence is about to kick into high gear.
Last edited by Yankees on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Dylan (Kansas): What can you tell me about Sergio Alcantara? He sounds really exciting.
Bill Mitchell: I talked briefly about Alcantara in a previous answer, but I’ll go into more detail now. The native Dominican skipped over the DSL and started his pro career in rookie ball a few weeks before turning 17. I mentioned that he’s already a solid defender at shortstop, with good hands and footwork and a plus-plus arm. Despite his youth and inexperience, he led the AZL in walks by a wide margin. His upper half is still very undeveloped, but I noticed that he was starting to turn on more balls at the plate late in the summer and that continued in instructional league. He’s not a burner but should have enough speed to stay at shortstop.

John (Mobile): Who would you say are the biggest sleepers in the system? Who could jump into the top 10 next year?
Bill Mitchell: John, there are several interesting sleepers in the organization. I’ve talked at length about Sergio Alcantara, who I could see becoming a top 10 guy if the bat continues to develop. A deep sleeper (still well outside the top 30) is short right-handed reliever Seth Simmons, who is well-loved by the organization. He was not a high draft pick coming out of East Carolina in 2011, but check out the strikeout rates he’s posted in his three years of minor league ball (1.44 per inning in High-A last year)!
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BP Toronto Blue Jays

2. Aaron Sanchez
Position: RHP
DOB: 07/01/1992
Height/Weight: 6’4” 190 lbs
Bats/Throws: R/R
Drafted/Acquired: 1st round, 2010 draft, Barstow HS (Barstow, CA)
Previous Ranking: #3 (Org), #32 (Top 101)
2013 Stats: 3.34 ERA (86.1 IP, 63 H, 75 K, 40 BB) at High-A Dunedin
The Tools: 7 FB; 6+ potential CB; 6 potential CH

What Happened in 2013: Top-shelf stuff, but a frustrating year that included some minor injury setbacks and on-the-field performances that failed to match the hype.

Strengths: Elite arm action; ball explodes out of his; fastball routinely works in the mid-90s; heavy life; hard curveball in the low 80s shows plus potential; changeup flashes plus; late arm-side action; frontline stuff.

Weaknesses: Below-average command; can get stiff and upright in the delivery; can struggle to stay over the ball; loses movement and flattens out; curveball can lack snap/get slurvy; changeup too firm; some sources question the passivity in his approach; pitchability needs work.

Overall Future Potential: 7; no. 2 starter

Realistic Role: 6; no. 3 starter

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; yet to pitch at Double-A level; some minor injury concerns.

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy Take: Sanchez has the higher fantasy upside as a starting pitcher, but he’s unlikely to take enough of a step forward with his control to be a strong contributor in WHIP—making him likely a three-category guy at peak. His ability to keep the ball on the ground (58 percent groundball rate during the past two seasons) may help neutralize some of the Rogers Centre’s home run-inducing tendencies.

The Year Ahead: Sanchez has some of the best arm action you will see, a lightning fast arm that allows the ball to just explode out of his hand. His mechanics can get out of whack, and he struggles to stay over the ball and finish his pitches. This causes his fastball to elevate and lose life, and his power curveball to get too slurvy and lose its bite. If you are optimistic about his command and refinement of the secondary stuff, Sanchez is a legit frontline no. 2 starter, but there is still a sizeable gap between the present and future.

Major league ETA: 2015

3. Alberto Tirado
2013 Stats: 1.68 ERA (48.1 IP, 41 H, 44 K, 20 BB) at rookie level Bluefield
The Tools: 7 potential FB; 6+ potential CH; 6 potential SL

What Happened in 2013: Another start in extended spring training and another pass through the Appalachian League, Tirado proved to be ready for a bigger challenge in his 48 innings of short-season work.

Strengths: Loose, easy arm; good release; fastball is plus offering; works 91-95; good arm-side life; changeup is advanced for age; good fastball disguise and late action; slider also looks like future plus offering; 82-84 with sharp tilt; more to project in the body.

Weaknesses: Inconsistent mechanics; arm is whippy and release points vary; command is below average (present); slider is behind changeup; can saucer the pitch; body is underdeveloped/immature; needs to add strength.

Overall Future Potential: High 6; no. 2 starter

Realistic Role: 5; no. 3/4 starter

Risk Factor/Injury History: High risk; short-season resume

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy Take: There may not be a more interesting pitching prospect for fantasy purposes who hasn’t yet reached full-season ball than Tirado. He could be a lot of things at this point, but if you judge it off his raw stuff, the fantasy potential is there across the board. If you can get in on the ground floor now, he’s a candidate to see a huge spike in dynasty league value during the 2014 season.

The Year Ahead: Tirado is a beast in the making, with three pitches that could end as plus offerings. The delivery is inconsistent at present, and the body needs to add strength to hold stuff and log innings. Despite the iffy command at present, Tirado shows pitchability and aptitude, and with a slow and steady approach, has a good chance to develop into a top tier prospect in the coming years. His stock is going to soar when he shoves in full-season ball, and when the command starts to refine, look out. This is an impact prospect that could develop into an impact major-league starter.

2. 3B Mitch Nay: A supplemental first-round pick in 2012, Nay has legit above-average projections on the hit/power tools, but several questions about his athleticism and ultimate defensive profile pushed him off the top 10. If you really like the bat, the defensive limitations won’t bother you much, but if he has to eventually move to first base, the bat needs to be a heavy player for him to have value.

3. RHP Miguel Castro: Stop me when this gets old: yet another highly projectable arm at the short-season level, Castro looks the part in the uniform and shows off the live arm on the mound, already working in the low 90s and touching 95/96. No doubt scheduled for another short-season assignment in 2014, Castro is going to be a national prospect after more people get to see this kid on the hill. It wouldn’t shock me if he’s securely in the top 10 at this time next season.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

FanGraphs Blue Jays Top 10

#1 Aaron Sanchez | 65/A+ (P)

The Year in Review: Sanchez, who didn’t turn 21 until July 1, made 22 appearances (20 starts) in High-A ball. He pitched just 86.1 innings after missing about a month with a shoulder injury. When he was on the mound and able to find the strike zone, he overpowered hitters with 75 strikeouts and a well-above-average ground-ball rate. Sanchez was assigned to the Arizona Fall League after the season to catch up on the innings he missed while on the sidelines. He allowed just 11 hits and struck out 21 in 23.1 innings but also walked 11.

The Scouting Report: Sanchez, a California native, has the best stuff in the Jays’ system. His fastball sits in the mid-90s and he backs it up with a plus curveball. He doesn’t use his changeup a ton but the right-hander throws it with deceptive arm speed and it flashes good fade. Tall and lean, Sanchez’s delivery was tweaked in 2013 and — as ESPN prospect evaluator Keith Law pointed out — the prospect now lands on a stiff front leg with little follow through. The delivery makes it more difficult for the young hurler to get the ball down in the lower half of the zone on a consistent basis.

The Year Ahead: The strong fall showing should allow Sanchez to open 2014 in Double-A. If he can add the necessary polish, Sanchez could reach the Majors by the end of the season. However, he probably isn’t ready to realize his ceiling and will likely struggle with his inconsistencies at the big league level. Toronto is in the market for established starting pitching and Sanchez is the organization’s best trading chip.

The Career Outlook: Sanchez has the makings of a No. 1 or 2 starter, if his command and control both improve. However, I have concerns over his ability to stay healthy in the long term, and he’s already had shoulder issues pop up.

#3 Mitch Nay | 60/SS (3B)

The Year in Review: After failing to appear in a game in 2012 after turning pro, thanks to an injury suffered shortly after signing his contract, Nay was held back in extended spring training in 2013 before being assigned to the Advanced-Rookie Appalachian League. The young third baseman hit .300 while flashing some pop and striking out just 35 times in 64 games.

The Scouting Report: Nay, 20, has been more advanced at the plate than expected. He showed a strong understanding of the strike zone in 2013 while making improvements with his pitch recognition. He does a nice job of getting the barrel of the bat on the ball. He hit more than .300 and showed flashes of his above-average power potential. In the field, Nay shows above-average arm strength but his range may never be better than average and he needs to polish his actions.

The Year Ahead: Toronto has developed into a rather conservative club when it comes to player development and likes to have many of its prep draftees spend at least two seasons in short-season ball. Nay will likely move up to the Low-A Midwest League in 2014. He’ll most likely spend the full season at that level while looking to continue his development path at the plate and in the field.

The Career Outlook: Nay could eventually challenge Stroman for the title of best draftee from the Jays’ 2012 class despite being the fourth player selected by the organization. He’s not going to offer a ton of defensive value but his bat could turn out to be pretty special. The Arizona native could eventually settle into the middle of the Jays’ lineup, assuming he’s not used as trade bait while the front office takes a second stab at building a playoff-caliber club.

#6 Alberto Tirado | 55/R (P)

The Year in Review: Tirado, a Dominican native, is just 18 years old but he made older hitters in the Appalachian League look foolish at times while posting a 1.68 ERA in 12 appearances. He struck out 44 batters and walked 20 in 48.1 innings of work.

The Scouting Report: Tirado’s name is becoming known quite well in and around the Jays organization but it hasn’t leaked out into the mainstream… just yet. The right-hander does a decent job of commanding his low-to-mid-90s fastball and he induces a lot of ground-ball outs. His second best offering is a changeup and his breaking ball is showing signs of improving. Tirado struggled against southpaw hitters in 2013 (LHHs batted .290, RHHs hit .200) and he needs to do a better job of commanding the inner half of the strike zone against them.

The Year Ahead: Tirado will be just 19 years old in 2014 but he could open the season in full-season ball in the Midwest League. As mentioned earlier, Toronto is fairly conservative with its prospects so there’s a chance the young hurler will be held back in extended spring training, at least until the weather warms up.

The Career Outlook: Assuming his smallish frame holds up, Tirado has the makings of a No. 2 or 3 starter at the big league level. There’s also a chance that he could end up as a high-leverage reliever if his repertoire fails to fully develop.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Giants BA Top 10

2. Edwin Escobar, lhp

Background: Escobar has multiple cousins and relatives in professional baseball, from Kelvim and Alcides Escobar to Yankees farmhand Jose Campos. The Giants tried to sign Escobar as a teenager out of Venezuela, but his family had connections to the Rangers and he signed with them. The Giants finally got Escobar when the Rangers picked Giants lefty Ben Snyder in the Rule 5 draft, then traded Escobar to the Giants to keep Snyder in the spring of 2010.

Scouting Report: Escobar always had size and strength, but he got himself in better condition and made an adjustment to raise his elbow in his delivery, allowing him to locate his 92-93 mph fastball, and for the first time, throw a dependable breaking ball. He gained confidence in his slider and it’s a plus offering at times that he can throw early in the count or as a put-away pitch. His changeup also ranges from average to plus, and he held righthanded hitters to a .222 average.

The Future: Escobar has a durable arm and likes to throw a lot between starts, so a bullpen role isn’t out of the question. He was pitching in that role in the Venezuelan League, but his three-pitch mix offers too much potential as a starter. He figures to start 2014 at Triple-A Fresno.

5. Mac Williamson, of

Background: Williamson easily had the most impressive season of any Giants hitting prospect at a full-season affiliate, leading the organization in home runs (25) and RBIs (89). He started his banner year by blasting three homers in a spring training scrimmage and kept making hard contact while tying for third in the Cal League in bombs. A prep catcher and pitcher who had labrum surgery as a college freshman, Williamson is making up for lost time with a max-effort approach, desire and a good work ethic.

Scouting Report: Williamson’s righthanded power is his best tool, but he’s shown an improved approach, leading high Class A San Jose in walks. Breaking balls can still vex him, but he has the strength to hit his pitch out of the park to all fields. Williamson combines imposing size with solid athleticism. He’s an above-average athlete who runs average underway, and he was caught stealing only once in 11 attempts. His range is average and his arm is strong enough for right field, if not always accurate.

The Future: The Giants haven’t developed an everyday outfielder since Fred Lewis and Nate Schierholtz. Williamson is their best hope to break that streak, and in the best case, turns into another middle-of-the-order hitter. His pitch recognition skills will be tested as he moves up to face more advanced competition in the pitching-rich Double-A Eastern League.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BA Yankees Top 10

2. Slade Heathcott, of

Background: Littered with run-ins with alcohol, guns and family drama, Heathcott’s past is both checkered and well documented. He’s not shy about the mistakes he’s made, though, and has worked diligently to become a better man as he’s grown up. Less concerning overall but more directly relevant is his extensive injury history. He’s had surgeries on both shoulders, missed time in spring 2013 with patellar tendinitis, and sat out the last 40 games of the season, including Double-A Trenton’s postseason run, with the same issue. After the season, he had surgery on his right knee to repair the damage.
Scouting Report: With a max-effort playing style that evokes Bryce Harper, Heathcott at his best is a speedy slash-hitter who uses the whole field. He does have significant issues with plate discipline, especially when it comes to the recognition of breaking balls. He’d heated up (hitting .306 in July) before the knee problems cropped up in August. He’s a plus defender in center field whose arm remains above-average, even after the operations. He’s a better-than-average runner but needs to learn to better pick his spots when going for steals.
The Future: The Yankees’ signing of Jacoby Ellsbury means that Heathcott may have to move to right field to be a regular in New York. He’ll have to stay healthy first. He’s slated to make his Triple-A debut in 2014.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”