Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Michel Baez, David 0-Bednar to Rays for Jose Suarez

This was a pretty risky trade for me. Baez has proved when healthy he's a weapon, no doubt. Bednar has been someone I've liked for a while and has absolutely exploded this year. He's a legit weapon out of the pen, period. There's no doubt the Rays have improved their pen short- and long-term.

Jose Suarez got absolutely blasted in his first two MLB runs. There's always a risk that his improvements this year will fall back next year and a career 5.77 era is where he's at. That wouldn't be helpful at all. But he's been really effective this year, both as a reliever and as a starter...and he's still only 23. Fangraphs saw him as the 79th best prospect with a 50 ofp as a starter...and he's pitching like that this year. He has the ability to be a mid-rotation starter long-term...and that would be super helpful for anyone.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Braves traded Eric Lauer to Padres for Nolan Jones

Nolan Jones had his prospect status dinged a little bit...but everyone still likes him enough to be a top 50-75 prospect. He's added some versatility as an RF. As long as the adjustments are made, he's going to be a really, really good player.

Speaking of adjustments, Lauer has made a lot of those. He was already a back-end starter, but he re-tooled his mechanics and re-tooled his pitch mix. He's not just benefitting from a good defense around him, he's also generating more swings and misses and thus more k's. He got laced to the tune of a 34% line drive rate last year, but this year he's returned to his normal peripherals. If he's in his normal range plus the 1 k/9 jump? This might just be sustainable...and, at only 26, it's worth the risk.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Travis 18-Swaggerty, Jonathan 18-Bowlan, Joseph 18-Ryan, Anthony 19-Volpe to Padres for Andrew Benintendi, Brendan Rodgers, Ryan Mountcastle, Cristian 15-Javier

So I gave up 4 legit starters. Javier was outstanding in the rotation and struggled in the pen until he re-grouped in the playoffs. Tough to see his long-term role in Houston, though. Benintendi has struggled since reaching huge prospect status and first year in Boston, but was terrific down the stretch for KC and there’s hope to carry over. Mountcastle just slugs. Another 30+ bombs this year…and he’s a much better AL player. I love Rodgers. He needs to walk more and he may be exposed if he plays SS long term, but he’s a terrific hitter with power that showed up this year. I’ve just got Urias for SS and Kemp will probably sim better at 2b. He was expendable.

Volpe was the get. He was unbelievable this year. He solidified his hit too, power tool, and glove for prospect evaluators across A/HA. He’s a legit top 15-20 prospect in most lists. I’ve also tried to trade for Ryan at least 400 times. He may not grade out huge, but his incredible runner suppression and k rate carried from the minors to the majors in his brief call-up. Not sure about you, but I like pitchers who don’t put runners on and strike out a lot of people, too. Bowlan and Swaggerty were two prospects establishing themselves in 2021 before injuries derailed both. Bowlan’s upside is a mid-rotation starter, while Swaggerty has gold glove and obp potential, but probably not a ton else. Taking on a lot of risk here, but I like my return.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Gunnar 19-Henderson, Pete 20-Crow-Armstrong, Josh 18-Winder to Padres for Ranger Suarez, Phillip Diehl, JT Chargois

Diehl is an MiLB reliever who the SIM really likes and had another good MiLB season. JT Chargois was outstanding this season between Seattle and Tampa Bay as a reliever. Those guys will help Ian's pen, but the real get was Suarez. Suarez split time between starting and relieving and was devastating between both stops. After struggling through his first few MLB stops, Suarez made some changes to his mechanics and pitch sequencing and was excellent. Maybe he's the new Bob Gibson. I'm hoping he's not...but a lot of those changes were very real. He'll have a solid SIM and be one to watch this year.

Winder was an incredible helium prospect last year until he got hurt. There's a real chance he may never have the health to be a starter, but, if he is, there's genuine #2/#3 starter potential. He's probably a reliever...but he's worth the risk. PCA helps that he's a '20 draftee...first. Second, his floor is a Gold Glove caliber fielder. He was hurt this year before we could see what he does with the bat, but there was enough positivity from the alternate site that he was the centerpiece in the deal for Javier Baez. There are mixed reports on the bat, but if he hits at all, he's an MLB starter. Henderson was the get for me. He was a 19 year old this year who battered A pitching and absolutely held his own at HA. He'll be a 20 year old for most of this year in the upper minors and scouting reports AND ZIPS love his upside. Most think he can stay at short, but his athleticism gives him options at CF & 3b, too. He's an easy top 75 prospect with a ton of opportunity to climb higher.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Brewers traded Josh 19-Jung, Ryan 19-Pepiot to Padres for Bryan Reynolds

Bryan Reynolds is really, really good. He's better defensively in LF, but can stay in CF, he's only 26 and, besides a pandemic blip, has been an outstanding professional hitter. The SIM still hasn't gone all-in on him, but it's way more excited about him after last season. When he's right, he's an all-star.

But I'm really excited about my return. Jung is a top-15 fantasy prospect and top 50 overall prospect who got good reports about the power starting to play at the alternate site before absolutely bludgeoning AA & AAA pitching in 2021. He'll be able to stay at 3b long-term, and should be a consistent presence in the middle of the Rangers lineup around some really fun recent signings. Pepiot was also a big get for me. He was terrific after signing as a 3rd round pick from Butler in 2019, but the reports from the alternate site were eye-popping...and his prospect status jumped accordingly. He struggled a bit at the end of the year at AAA, but was absolutely dominant at AA and fully pushed his way on to, or at least near, top 100 lists. He's a spin rate darling who bumps 96 with movement, and features a devastating changeup and improving slider. Clearly the struggles at AAA will need to be worked out, but he's a potential mid-rotation starter with opportunity for some more.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Chris Flexen, Kyle Schwarber, Luis Cessa, Austin Riley to Twins for Brandon Marsh, Matthew 18-Liberatore, Quinn 19-Priester, Slade 20-Cecconi

Getting Jung and spending the last two days around my brothers baby and 2-year old have proven it's time to go all in on the rebuild. Riley and Schwarber are absolute beasts. Riley has turned himself into a solid 3b with a real middle of the order bat...and he's just getting going at 24. Schwarber is just a monster hitter who the SIM doesn't hate defensively as much as real life does. Flexen came back from overseas and looked every bit the part of a #4 starter and Cessa is coming off a MONSTER season, got a decent SIM, and that was bumped up by including a starting rating.

Marsh was a helium prospect last year before getting some extended run in the MLB and doing fine-not-great. He was rising up top 100 lists, and I don't think he did anything in this last year (crush AAA, hold own in MLB) that would make anyone take him off a first-division starter OFP. Cecconi has a monster fastball, true out slider, and has a developing curve and changeup. He's built like a starter and held his own in HA this past year. Liberatore and Priester are both borderline top 40 prospects. Priester was excellent in HA and raced up prospect charts. He's another spin rate darling with a huge ceiling and a high floor. Liberatore held his own as a 21 year old in AAA. He's got a strong pitch mix and there's almost no doubt he's a mid-rotation. He's not super sexy, but he's really, really good.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Luke Jackson, Michael Fulmer, Alex 18-Vesia to Nationals for Cal 17-Mitchell, MacKenzie 17-Gore

Fulmer was a decent-but-inconsistent starter who transferred to the pen fully this year and was really, really good. Oddly, the SIM saw him more as a starter, but I'd expect a huge jump for him after another good season this year. Luke Jackson was downright filthy this year and I'd imagine the SIM will reward him. Vesia was the guy that hurt, though. Only 25 and lefty, his MiLB career era was WELL south of 2.00 and he translated that terrifically in his pro debut. If he can cut even a hair off his bb/9, he could be one of the best relievers in the game.

I've been a fan of Cal Mitchell for a while now. He's got a terrific swing and has added power between 2019 and present. The home run output will have to show to 20+ per season for him to be a big contributor, but a good AA season bought him a promotion to AAA...and a long MLB career, even as a 4th of, is probable. Obviously Gore was the get for me, though. A brilliant 2019 season saw him soar to the top of prospect rankings...but there was some scuttle from the alternate site that there were mechanical issues in 2020. Well those certainly showed up in 2021. He had an awful start and was sent to the complex to work on his mechanics. Long story short, all the stuff is still there, but he's going to have to consistently find the strike zone to reach his TORP potential. Good news is he's still only 22 and time is on his side.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Cal 18-Raleigh, Yiddi 20-Cappe, Pirates Draft Pick 2 to Padres for Jonathan Villar, Sean Murphy

Murphy is pretty solid C. He was up and down last year, but has the skills to stay behind the plate with good offense. Villar is super versatile across the dirt with plus offense. Fashioned a nice career for himself.

Raleigh has some similarities to Murphy, and should hopefully get a more extended run at the MLB level in 2022 after crushing AAA, but scuttling in his first MLB opportunity. Cappe is a '20, which is valuable to me, and he's a wiry Cuban with a lot of juice in his bat. Will be interesting to see how he develops. I'll get a decent pick in the draft, too. Always helpful.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Roismar 19-Quintana, Ryan 19-Kreidler to Padres for Zach Eflin

Eflin is a good pitcher who the SIM has come to like. He has some issues pitching deep into games and striking hitters out, but he's got better in each before getting hurt this past season. He'll miss the start of the season, but it's not arm troubles...which is good.

I'm a huge fan of the return. Quintana saw a few reps at the rookie level at 18 and battered the ball while also showing good patience. Those that see him, rave about him. He has plus raw power with the good patience. He's going to have to play a corner, but he's not a bad athlete. The Nats front office are incredibly excited to see him against full season competition. But the get is Kreidler for sure. Kreidler can play anywhere on the dirt and makes an impact when he connects. His combined AA/AAA line (.270/.349/.454 with 15 sb's & 22 hr's) seems to be what could be a reasonable expectation for him. He should see some time in Detroit next year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rangers traded Jhonkensy 17-Noel, Hedbert 19-Perez, Adael 19-Amador to Padres for Austin Hays, J.P. Feyereisen, Jose 0-Urquidy

Think the Rangers are the easy choice for which team will be improved the most in the IBC in 2022...and this trade helps them with SP, bullpen, and depth. Hays gives them an RF to play over Adell until he gets all the way there. Feyereisen is a terrific 6th/7th inning arm, and Urquidy is just a really solid pitcher who the SIM is quite dispassionate about...but has been good in the MLB for 3 seasons and does have a solid SIM whip.

The return I got comes with a lot of risk, but also a TON of upside. Amador was a top prospect out of the Dominican Republic and despite some setbacks (COVID, injuries) got good reports from camp and then was fantastic in rookie ball, playing 2 years younger than the league average. He makes good consistent contact and has impacted the ball. If his body and power develop, he could be a fast mover on prospect lists. Speaking of fast movers, Noel is probably not anything but a right/right 1b, but he opened a TON of eyes in 2021 by hitting for average and power across multiple levels. If he can stay healthy, he's another potential impact bat. Perez is probably the most well known of the prospects I get back, as he jumped on prospect lists last year and this year by opening eyes at the alternate site and then destroying rookie ball. He struggled at LA, but he was also super young for the level. As BP said, he's one that could easily be a top 20 prospect or well off the radar by this time next year, depending on how he adapts to full season ball. Big fan of the risk/reward at his age.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Royals traded Sammy 19-Siani, Royals Draft Pick 1, Justin 0-Yurchak to Padres for Luis Urias

Urias is really good. He's 24, he showed power and patience with there still being some real upside in his hit tool. He's got really good positional versatility on the dirt...and really good prospect pedigree.

Siani was a former first round pick who's lost some shine on his prospect status. But he's a cold school prep bat with loud tools. If it comes, it'll come in a pretty big way. It just probably won't. I like a lot of players in this draft, so the first will do me pretty well. Yurchak just fucking hits. He's a .321 hitter for his MiLB career, including .365 in A+/AA this year. He just doesn't hit for power...which isn't ideal for a 1b only. The Dodgers are working on some LF options, but he'll force the issue if he hits for that type of average...again...in AAA.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Kyle Freeland, Eric Lauer to Twins for Tucupita 16-Marcano, Masyn 20-Winn, Marco 20-Raya, Athletics Draft Pick 2

Freeland had a real rough 2019, but has been pretty underrated over the last two seasons, and the SIM likes him. It'll be interesting to see how Lauer SIM's. He made real adjustments this year and was outstanding...but will people adjust back to his so-so stuff. He's going to be a real interesting watch at only 26 years old.

Really like my return, though. Marcano raced to the MLB this year at only 21...and he's just a really fun player. He's explosive, good with the bat, and growing into power. He's already achieved success at AAA, and played 2b, 3b, lf, and rf in the MLB on top of ss in MiLB. The 2nd round pick is helpful. Masyn Winn was a 2nd round pick who most believe will be a plus SS with some table setting hitting skills. That's not what makes him so intriguing. What makes him so intriguing is that he also pairs that with a 100 mph fastball and is being developed by the Cardinals as a pitcher off to the side. He's going to be an incredibly fun follow. Marco Raya has become quite a fun story, given that he hasn't thrown a pro pitch...but the developmental stories are absolutely glowing, and he'll still only be 19 in 2022. There's massive upside here.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Tony Kemp to Marlins for Vaughn 19-Grissom, Astros Draft Pick 1

The secret that's getting out a bit is that Tony Kemp is really good at baseball. He's versatile, he gets on base, and he had his best year as a pro last year...and the SIM responded in kind. He's a winning player for sure...and certainly has years of service left.

I've been after Grissom for a long time. I'm crossing my fingers that he's not a third baseman, but, if he can stay up the middle, he's got a really fun hit tool, a strong sense of the strike zone, and doesn't K a lot. There's a 1st division starter at 2b or ss, but the power would REALLY have to play if he moves to a corner. All in, though, he's a super fun track. The first round pick is a solid one with some players at that level that will make me comfortable with the return versus Kemp.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Pete 20-Crow-Armstrong to Rockies for Ed 20-Howard, Felix 19-Valerio

Padres traded MacKenzie Gore, Yusei Kikuchi, Ed 20-Howard, Felix 19-Valerio to Mets for Logan 20-Allen, Garrett 20-Mitchell

Clearly these two deals were linked for me. This is actually a three-teamer, and you'll see that play out tonight/tomorrow. In total, I give up Kikuchi, Gore, and PCA and pick up Mitchell and Allen.

Going out, Kikuchi is a nice SIM piece this year. Gore has the most upside in the deal, but he's going on two years of inconsistency. He's absolutely a worthwhile risk for John. Tremendous upside. PCA fits somewhere to me between Swaggerty and Mitchell. So a nice player, but movable.

Logan Allen doesn't have huge upside, but his runner suppression/k rate were outstanding in HA/AA this past season. As you can see with my staff, I'm a big fan of that combination. The Guardians develop these types of pitchers REALLY well...so I'm excited to see his development. But Garett Mitchell was the get. He slaughtered HA pitching and was cruising up prospect lists before he hit a big bump in AA. His prospect status took a hit, but he was 3 years young for the level. He's a potential 5-tool prospect with outstanding athleticism. He needs to have a good year...but I'm betting on the athlete. Been a big fan for a while...excited to see what he'll do in 2022.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Gunnar Henderson, Yiddi 20-Cappe, Vaughn Grissom, Pirates Draft Pick 2 to Orioles for Everson 17-Pereira, Matthew 19-Thompson, Elijah 20-Dunham, Orioles Draft Pick 4

I wanted Everson Pereira and I sure as shit paid for him. Cappe and Grissom are both really fun, young MIF's who have intriguing results and potential upside. Both were targets for me as I thought about my rebuild. And Henderson definitely was. I saw Gunnar as my future 2b...but I like some of the other people I have there. I don't like my outfielders.

Which brings me to Pereira. Pereira slugged 20 homers in 50 games across Rookie, A, and HA...most coming in HA at 20 years old. While he showed a big swing and miss to his game, he did show patience alongside those homers, too. He's a super athlete and incredibly toolsy. While most think he could stay in CF, he's probably destined for RF. Even if he was worse, had he played 100 games he's probably an easy top 100 prospect. Thompson is an insane athlete for a pitcher who the White Sox are high on...but had a tough 2021. Dunham is another Yankee OF who's just interesting. It's very Gardner-esque in that it's not sexy or perfect...but it definitely gets the job done.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

RedSox traded Edward 15-Cabrera to Padres for Astros Draft Pick 1, Royals Draft Pick 1

I gave up two picks in the early 20's. There are a lot of good arms and interesting ss' in that range. A couple I think I'm going to be a upset I passed on the opportunity to take.

That said, I've got Volpe and I didn't see any arms that combined the upside with the current level of Cabrera. If the fastball command comes around, there's real top of the rotation opportunity. If it doesn't, he's still a mid-rotation innings-eater.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

DBacks traded Jake 17-Burger, Endy 18-Rodriguez, DBacks Draft Pick 3 to Padres for Ji-Man Choi, Quinn Priester, Orioles Draft Pick 4

There's no doubt I gave up the best current prospect in this trade (Priester) and the best current player in the trade (Choi). And the best I got back was a mid-round pick flip. So, uh, good work Brett.

I'm a pretty big fan of this draft around the 50-100 mark, so this pick swap better aligns me with many of the players I really like. Burger has always been an elite bat, but, until 2021, he hadn't played in organized ball since 2017 for a myriad of reasons. For him to come back and have the season he had was absolutely incredible. There's zero change in the upside of his prospect status. He'll always, probably, be limited defensively, but he can really hit. He'll find a place in my lineup short-term...and hopefully long-term. Rodriguez is another super fun player to dream on. He's got a mature approach at the plate, with good hit and emerging pop, and he's a good enough athlete to play any corner...but he gets SUPER interesting in the upside many see with him behind the plate. If he has another season like 2021, and is able to stay behind the plate, he will massively shoot up prospect lists next year...with only a downside of the bat continuing to play elsewhere. I like the risk.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Connor 17-Brogdon, Phillies Draft Pick 4 to Padres for DBacks Draft Pick 3, Padres Draft Pick 5

This is a pretty deep draft, these are two picks.

Brogdon fits my age demographic, with the upside that he SIMs with starts, so if he has another strong year, he'll have a lot of value as a trade piece. I'll take that for the pick flip.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Orioles traded Brendan Donovan to Padres for Athletics Draft Pick 2

This is a pretty interesting draft for where this pick will fall...just didn't think I'd get Gelof.

I'll let BP do my dirty work here: Well here he is, right on schedule, your 24-year-old, seventh-round college bat that is going to outplay this ranking. I could make a joke about how he fits the meme of “We have Tommy Edman at home,” and that’s probably true. I don’t like false precision, but I know how this goes: Donovan will be a pesky, 103 DRC+ hitter who can stand at six different spots—although he won’t offer Edman’s true above-average defensive utility at most of them. He will hit exactly 13 home runs, at least one of them will be backbreaking for your favorite team. The arm’s a little short for the premium defensive spots on the left side of the dirt, but the Cardinals don’t really need him there anyway. The bat speed doesn’t really portend a .300 hitter, but he’s hitterish enough, and strong enough, and will foul off enough junk to hit .273, especially if he doesn’t see too many good lefties. Donovan will no doubt be merrily on his way to a 2.4 WARP season, while Michael McGreevy is sitting 91 or Masyn Winn is whiffing too much, or Ivan Herrera is still struggling to take that next step. I will learn nothing, and we will do this again next year with Mike Antico or whoever.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Misael Urbina, Leonardo Jimenez to Padres for Ian Seymour

Ian Seymour was a solid/decent prospect until the SIM decided it loved him. Then he's a good prospect. He has been wildly effective since he was drafted in 2020 and pitches in a strong organization. The scouting reports don't fully match the SIM, but he's well liked and that SIM is a GREAT starting point for the rest of his career.

I've got a lot of pitchers I like more than Seymour, and I really like the value I get back. Jimenez has a very loud hit and on-base tool that will have to carry him offensively, but he's off to a great start there and most think he can stay up the middle defensively. Urbina had an awful intro to full season ball, but it came with better contact numbers than results and he was so young, coming off the missed 2020 season. At peak, he can be a solid fielding CF with plus hit and plus power. The problem comes if he has to move off center...then the power will have to play. Also, if he sucks again this year. That wouldn't be good.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Dane Dunning to WhiteSox for Jairo Pomares, Kyren 19-Paris

Dunning is a really, really good pitcher. He was a top prospect made good with strong peripherals. He's young enough to have an impact for a long time. There will be some mid-rotation years, there'll be some #4 years...but he's so solid and the SIM likes him. Two excellent characteristics for this league.

And I get a little more 'interesting' back. Paris was a high riser in the 2019 draft with tantalizing tools. Problem is that he's been hurt, COVID, hurt and lost a lot of development time. He's still highly rated in the Angels system, and his upside isn't questioned, but at some point you've got to play some good baseball to be a good prospect. 2022 is a huge year. Pomares, on the other hand, became intriguing in 2019 and REALLY intriguing in 2021 coming off the lost year. He absolutely decimated his first taste of full-season ball before holding his own as a 20 year old in HA. The bat will have to carry, but it should play on the corners, especially if the hit and power keep developing. He's already cracked some top 100 lists, and will almost certainly be on all of them with another year like his first two.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Nick Plummer, Chase 21-Petty, Colton 21-Cowser to Padres for Joseph Ryan

Joe Ryan does two things really well; he strikes out a lot of people and doesn't let a lot of people on base. It's a tremendous combination, and he looks like the real deal. He'll be an outstanding starter for a really long time.

But I really like my return. Plummer was a first round pick who needed some development time, got it, and looks like he might be a very real player. The upside is pending, but he's probably a 4th of/2nd division starter at worst. Petty was traded pretty much straight up for Sonny Gray. Which was quite the thing. He's got massive stuff...just a slight build. If he can stay on the mound, he has beast potential. But Cower was the get for sure. He's anywhere from a top 100 to top 50 prospect who was the #5 pick in the draft. He's so much fun. I'm pumped he's on our team. Fills a big hole in our long-term OF.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Guardians traded Forrest Whitley, Alexander Ramirez, Bryce 20-Elder, Matt 21-McLain to Padres for Brandon Marsh, Donnie Walton, Matthew Liberatore, Hedbert Perez

After all my moves, a little analysis of my team showed that it just doesn't have enough upside to be an actually competitive team at some point. To make this reshuffle worthwhile, I've got to find some legit stars. To do that, I have to sacrifice some real people. Liberatore has a real upside, but it's more in the #2/#3 starter range. Marsh has real ability, but again, in more that reliable than unbelievable range. Perez has upside, just a a real challenge tapping into it, and Walton has a really terrific SIM.

I'm worse in 2022, but this trade increases my overall talent build off this. McLain gets real Bregman comps. He may not be able to stay at short, but he hits the ball tremendously hard. Ramirez has true middle of the order potential if his frame fills out and the potential power becomes real, and has smashed A level pitching so far this year. Elder showed, in his first taste of MLB, that he has true middle of the rotation potential which helps mitigate the Liberatore loss. Whitley is obviously the risk/reward here. In camp, he was up to low-mid 90's without going full tilt, so there's hope that when he can go, he can retain most of the prospect status he achieved as recently as pre-2021.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Yoendrys 0-Gomez, Ron Marinaccio to Padres for Connor Brogdon, Slade 20-Cecconi

Cecconi is the best prospect in this deal. The former 1st-rounder hasn't dominated at all in the pros to match his arm, but he's still a regarded prospect. Brogdon is probably the best player in this deal. He was solid in the minors before a strong MLB start last year...which he's built on this year.

And I like Yankees. Gomez is a little further off than Cecconi, but his arm is intriguing. Scouts and stats people love him...he just can't stay on the mound. If he can, he'll shoot up prospect lists very quickly. He's just certainly behind the 8-ball. Marinaccio isn't. He's already pitching well for the Yanks this year, after absolutely destroying AA & AAA last year. Like most potentially dominant relievers, if he can stay in the zone, he has back of the bullpen potential.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Brewers traded Simeon 0-Woods Richardson, Max 21-Muncy to Padres for Jake Burger, Jose Suarez, Brendan Donovan

Donovan, Suarez, and Burger are all really good, somewhat MLB-proven players. I really do see each having somewhat limited ceilings. That said, they are guys almost every team in the SIM would roster and use at some point. And you need those players to win...especially as injuries fall into play.

I just really like the upside of the players that I'm getting. Woods Richardson is a big, strike-thrower who is well thought of enough to be included in two major deals. He struggled last year with injury, finding the plate, and his fastball...all of which he's rectified this year and he's still only 21...except the injuries. He's back on the DL. Only thing standing in his way of being a good MLB starter is his health. Muncy should be able to stay at SS, has very good power, and a pretty keen eye. He's drawn Swansby/Bregman comps, but he'll have to work on the swing-and-miss to maximize his considerable upside.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”