Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Donny Sands, Clarke Schmidt, Colt 20-Keith, Pirates Draft Pick 2 to Padres for Brett Sullivan, Cionel Perez, Tyler Gentry, Twins Draft Pick 4

Gentry was a pretty solid pop-up prospect last year who got a solid SIM in the OF corners. He'll certainly get a shot with KC. Perez was outstanding for the Orioles last year, but his secondaries and zips don't quite agree with his success. Sullivan is a solid backup catcher who the SIM has an interest in.

Jumping significantly in this draft was definitely a positive, but I also really like the three players I'm getting back. Keith has a very difficult time staying on the field, but when he does he hits the ball insanely hard. He's still really young, so he's got time to find consistent health. If he does, he will leap up prospect charts. Schmidt is a Yankee swing pitcher. He had a really nice first full-ish season at the MLB level and will be a very nice swing arm for the Yankees bullpen. He has a top 100 prospect arm and he's finally found some consistent health. Sands had an excellent season last year as a pop-up catcher prospect, and was moved to the Tigers this off-season where he'll certainly have a chance after reaching the MLB level last year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded Owen 20-Caissie, Samuel 20-Zavala, Nationals Draft Pick 1 to Padres for Ryan Mountcastle, Adael 0-Amador, Padres Draft Pick 2

#32 is a good pick in a good draft. Ryan Mountcastle is a young player who slugs and got a good SIM. Adael Amador is a top 100 ss with a tremendous hit profile. I don't want to talk about what I'm giving up. It was too much and it'll make me sad.

Coming back are two outfielders I quite like. Caissie got into a couple top 100 lists last year before struggling a bit in 2022...though his profile is still really solid. Zavala is a lot of fun. He's young and he crushes the ball. The biggest asset coming back is the pick, though. It'll be #10 in the upcoming draft and puts me in the range to get a couple guys I've been eyeing.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded Juan Yepez, BlueJays Draft Pick 1 to Padres for Andy Pages, Jarlin 21-Susana, Edgar 20-Quero, Braves Draft Pick 2

This one hurt a lot. I love Quero and Pages. Quero can really hit, and if there are electronic umps his value will shoot through the roof...and he's already cracking top 100 lists. Pages just won't stop hitting. He's a beast who's got to his power with solid secondaries at every level. Susana is a future stud on the mound, too...plus I give up a really good 2nd. Yeesh.

But, first, I get Yepez. Yepez has hit at every level and the SIM likes his bat. His first crack at MLB was solid, too. He'll just be a really nice guy to have in the lineup or as a trade piece. The big get, of course, is the #3 pick. This is a really good draft and this puts me in a really solid position to add a top 30-50 prospect with superstar potential...and now, having #3 and #10, I have some flexibility on who I target. Let's get the draft started!
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Cardinals traded Luca 21-Tresh, Peter Strzelecki to Padres for Michael Massey

Massey is really good. I really like him. I also have 45,000 infielders...and most are close. I definitely can't play them all.

Strzelecki is a nice bullpen arm to add depth with 2022 just hopefully the starting point for him. Tresh is an offensive-minded catcher who had a really interesting year all the way to AA and was a '21 draft pick which gives me increased roster flexibility.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded 2022 Draft Pick 53, Joey 21-Loperfido to Padres for Richard Lovelady, 2022 Draft Pick 81

Lovelady has been interesting...just injured. He's clearly well appreciated by the SIM and will be a force in Jason's bullpen if he can stay on the mound.

For using my $20 worth of JP Bucks on him, I get an interesting '21 and almost a full round jump in the draft. I'm a big fan of the first 75 picks in this draft and this puts all my picks into the top 60. I'm going to like my draft walking out of it. And Loperfido is fine. He's a '21, played great in his college wood bat leagues, broke out in a big way his senior year, plays a ton of positions, and was terrific across two levels this year. Problem is he doesn't have a ton of pop and he's been consistently old for his level. If the bat can play up the ladder, he'll be a versatile, helpful player...but tons of college guys crush A ball before getting humbled up the ladder. But he'll be fun to watch and his '21 status gives me increased roster flexibility.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Astros traded Justin Foscue to Padres for Spencer 21-Schwellenbach, Samuel 20-Zavala

Zavala and Schwellenbach are both lottery tickets. Zavala is coming off a very good year, but he's young. He's got massive talent and upside, but he's got a long way until he's at the MLB level. That road can take some turns. Schwellenbach has been compared to DeGrom by a few publications both for stuff and route to the pros. He only has 31 college ip's under his belt and is coming off TJ...so the route to a starter is small...but by all accounts he has a MASSIVE arm and great secondaries. If they both hit, I will lose this trade by a mile.

The guy I get back has a pretty high floor. He's going to hit and Zips likes his bat (which is right) and it also gives his glove WAY too much credit for what it actually is. He'll be a great piece to move around the infield as injuries accumulate in a season...and to stick at DH. Clearly more certain and established than the other two...but not nearly the upside.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Misael 0-Urbina, Ryan Pepiot, Colt 20-Keith, Deyvison 0-De Los Santos to Phillies for Cionel Perez, Ranger Suarez, 2022 Draft Pick 70

Woof. This was a tough one to agree to. Nick and I have been going back and forth on this for a couple weeks now and finally landed here. Pepiot is a really nice arm who looks the part of a #3/#4 starter depending on how his plus plus changeup plays with mediocre stuff. BA loves him...BP is dubious. Colt Keith hits the ball REALLY hard...I profile I was looking for when I traded for him from Nick just scant days ago. His biggest challenge is staying on the field. De Los Santos is a player I coveted. He's young and hit at every stop, but there are some real swing and miss concerns. Urbina is a young prospect who's far away, but has intriguing abilities. It's pretty easy to see Pepiot being a solid starter, and one of the other popping big and me losing this deal.

But, as Pat will tell you, I love Suarez. He popped for me in 2021 and I got great value for him in a trade. He took the big leap to starting this past season and was very solid...and zips gave him the respect. This isn't a change in strategy for me. He's still young enough to make an impact for where my top prospects are at and he'll add stability to my rotation. I get Perez back, who's a younger reliever coming off an awesome season who zips is still dubious on, and a pick that fits in my favored Top 75 range.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Jovani Moran, Cade Marlowe, 2022 Draft Pick 3 to Pirates for Logan O'Hoppe, Jorbit 0-Vivas, Dahian 19-Santos, 2022 Draft Pick 27

Jake and I had talked side trades for Moran and I've been pining for O'Hoppe for a long time. I've also asked him about Vivas like a dozen times. Fun they came together this way.

Biggest piece of this was the #3, obviously. Literally, yesterday, despite some different organizational needs, I had really got myself around on Termarr. He's just an elite bat even if the position isn't perfect. There's very little doubt...he will be an impact bat of the highest level. Of course, if Jake takes him. Otherwise Moran is so much fun and so young. Really think he's in the group of young, elite relievers. And Marlowe had a really big pop-up 2022, and the sim seems at least casually interested in him.

It was important for me to stay in the first round, and while 27 isn't perfect, it puts me in the range of some guys I really, really like. Santos is a young breakout arm for the Blue Jays. People were raving about his raw stuff and the Blue Jays develop well. He was really important for me to get in this deal. Vivas is a guy that I've really liked (as does zips) who does have to rebound a little from a somewhat disappointing 2022. But the dude for me was O'Hoppe. I'm a huge fan. He's a no doubt catcher who is coming off a monster 2022, but has had a really nice minor league career. He didn't looked overmatched at the MLB level in a cup of coffee and hopefully enters 2023 as the Angels starting catcher. I'm so pumped he's on board.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Orioles traded Grant 18-Lavigne, Hayden 21-Juenger, 2022 Draft Pick 128 to Padres for 2022 Draft Pick 70, 2022 Draft Pick 53

I do love the top 75 picks of this draft...but I love good baseball players a little more. To his credit, Vacek picks up two picks in prime territory for what will most likely be a AAAA hitter and a multi-inning reliever...

...but that multi-inning reliever is REALLY good. Juenger had a very good year between AA/AAA and the sim took notice. He will be a multi-inning reliever who will be starter eligible with a really good sim for a long time. That has a lot of value. The difference in this deal will be Lavigne. When this linebacker-as-a-baseball-player has been patient and solid in his approach, he's been a top 10 MiLB first baseman. Unfortunately to be a real MLBer, he's going to need to combine that approach with more elevation. And every time he's tried for more elevation, it's been a disaster. If hit physical power connects to his approach, he has every ability to be a top tier 1b. Unfortunately those two things just haven't happened at once yet.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded George Valera, 2022 Draft Pick 32 to Padres for Oswald Peraza

Peraza is most likely the Yankees starting shortstop moving forward. And I just traded him. Shit.

But Valera is a potential beast. He is a solid OF who has a sweet swing that generates massive power. Both prospects grade out similarly, the pick helps with the positional differences.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Emmet 21-Sheehan to DBacks for JP Sears

Love Sheehan as a pop-up prospect from this last year. Great stuff and in the Dodgers system, so you know he'll develop. I've got some flexibility on my 21's so he was available, but he's one I think I'll regret.

Sears' biggest problem is decent stuff and age. But results aren't an issue. He's been dominant in the MiLB and was solid at his first full MLB pass. Zips awarded him with a solid sim. If he can keep outperforming his stuff, this will be a pretty good get. But it's not super sexy.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Juan Yepez to RedSox for Oswaldo Cabrera, Jonathan Aranda

I like Yepez. The SIM likes Yepez. The dude can rake and he's multi-positional on some cool positions AND is good enough to flat out DH. And he's still pretty young. He's really good.

While the SIM may not love Aranda as much, I really do. I think he's going to hit, tap into some more power, get on-base, play multi-positions. He struggled a bit in his first MLB run, but he'll get plenty more. Cabrera is a bit similar. Broke out in '21, carried it into '22, and played a pretty big part in the Yanks holding down the fort at the end of the year. Tremendous positional versatility and had a 109 ops+ in his first MLB run...and didn't look out of place. Yepez is a boss, but I like the return, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded Juan 18-Guerrero to Padres for 2022 Draft Pick 128

This one happened VERY quickly. Dave was looking for picks. He got one.

Guerrero is interesting. He's got good physical tools and has hit everywhere he's been so far. He's finally found a home in the outfield, too. The problem has been will he ever get into some power. He hasn't fully got there yet, and, if he does, there's probably not a long-term opportunity for him...but if his lots of contact gets elevated, he'll become real interesting real fast.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Astros traded 2022 Draft Pick 63, 2022 Draft Pick 19 to Padres for 2022 Draft Pick 27, 2022 Draft Pick 32

This is a very solid draft. Getting two very good picks for moving back 8 spots is good business.

I wanted to move up in the hopes of getting two players in that spot. Never in my wildest dreams did I think Williams would be there. I was nervous about this trade, but turned out to be worth it for sure.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Donny Sands, Eguy Rosario, Ranger Suarez, 2022 Draft Pick 63 to Cubs for Drew 20-Romo, Cooper 21-Kinney, 2022 Draft Pick 22

Suarez went from a super swingman to an excellent starting. He has the sim of a #2 starter and he's still very young. Rosario was a solid popup prospect last year and the SIM is clearly intrigued. Sands had a massive year at AAA and should find more MLB at-bats in Detroit this year.

My goal in acquiring Suarez was to get back a top 100 guy in a more premium position and give myself an opportunity to get a top prospect from this draft. Getting Romo gives me wonderful young catching depth with O'Hoppe and Tresh. I believe Kinney would be a top 100 prospect if he had played in 2022. The bat is special and he's still only 20 in a very good developmental system. But even with those guys, I'm so thrilled to add Young. He was the #1 guy I wanted at #19 when Jett fell, and I leapt at the chance when he dropped to #22. He's a real SS with an elite hit skill, growing power, and will continue to fill out. The biggest downside you'll read is the questions on the power and that he's a prep prospect...but I'll bite on the full skill set.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded 2022 Draft Pick 41, 2022 Draft Pick 101 to Padres for 2022 Draft Pick 60, 2022 Draft Pick 54

This is a pretty deep draft. Giving up two picks in the 50 to 60 range will be giving up someone I quite liked.

I just didn't think Fabian would make it there. He was a real 1.1 candidate two years ago until some swing-and-miss issues in college depressed his value. He's a plus fielder with some real thunder in his bat and a good approach at the plate. He murdered rookie ball and low A, but the swing and miss cropped up again in a short stint in HA. The SIM really likes him though, as his offense and defense combine to make him a 3 win zips player over a full season already. This is a boom or bust pick, but I'll bet on the Orioles player development with this big skill set.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded Zack 21-Gelof, Jack 21-Leiter, Prelander 0-Berroa, 2022 Draft Pick 104 to Padres for Oswaldo Cabrera, Louie 0-Varland, Spencer Steer

This is a lot of young, present value for a lot of potential, future value. Steer is the big get here for Dave. He's MLB ready, the SIM likes him, and he has positional versatility. He's got a really high floor and a really solid ceiling. Cabrera is fashioning out a career as a super useful utility player and Varland looks every bit of a #4 starter who may have a couple seasons as a #3.

Clearly the get for me is Leiter. He was the #2 pick in last year's draft and has terrific pedigree. He held his own at AA in his debut, but no one would say he took a step forward. Most prospect lists essentially paused his value, and he has come out this spring and is earning raves in Rangers camp. His upside is very high, but he needs a real step forward in 2023. Berroa has been one of the major eye openers in spring training so far, so much so that a scout said his trade to the M's for Walton in 2022 may have been the '...worst trade in 2022.' He's probably a reliever, but there's no reason for the Mariners to put him there yet with the results he's popping. Gelof is like JV Steer. He probably won't stick at one position, can hit for pop, get on base a bit, but has some swing and miss issues, especially against high velo righties. He should make his debut this year and hit as a #5 or #6 bat in an MLB lineup. Through this I pick up 2 '21's and a '22 draft pick which really help from a roster versatility standpoint, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Noah 19-Song to Padres for 2022 Draft Pick 101

It’s a draft pick.

I drafted Song a few years ago. Time to see this out.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Angels traded 2022 Draft Pick 126 to Padres for Kyren 0-Paris

Paris was incredible to end ‘22 after a really rough start. If the batting adjustments he made are near that impactful moving forward he’s a steal here.

I’m just deep in mif and loved Martorella. Wanted him at 101, and got him here. Knowing the amount of sim-eligible 21/22’s I’ve got, the flexibility helped, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Israel 17-Pineda to Giants for 2022 Draft Pick 99

Once I knew Jake was ok, I asked about the pick. Since I grabbed O’Hoppe and Romo, pop-up prospect Pineda was available. Great defender and improving bat, he had his first cup of coffee in MLB last year. Very interesting AAA season upcoming.

Been pretty open I think this is a very deep draft out to ~#75. Thomas was the only guy I had left on my board. Well liked by BP, BA, and MLB, he was having an incredible NCAA season before injury wiped him out. He’s a double plus athlete with big game power who was really starting to put it together. Hope he picks up where he left off. If he does, he’ll move fast.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Michael Busch, Deyvison 0-De Los Santos, Vaun 21-Brown to Padres for Colton 21-Cowser, Cole 22-Young, Ryan 22-Cernak

I realize there are real teams in this league who trade real players who win real games in real life. And then there are those of us who are dealing in prospects. For that second group, this is a big deal. Cowser is the best out and out prospect in the deal. He's a dynamic talent who, if he ever made consistent contact, would be a top 10 prospect in baseball. But his start to AAA is endemic to the biggest challenge to being an all-star...he's struck out in 42% of his ab's. Young is the opposite problem. He'll almost definitely be a plus contact hitter and he'll stay on the dirt up the middle, but he'll need the power to grow to be a top tier player. Cermak is an absolute toolshed. It will be interesting to see his progress this year.

For me, I'm very excited about the group I get back. Busch isn't a great fielder, but he can flat out hit. I'm so excited about adding his stick to my lineup and he can play in a few different positions. Brown was the definition of a breakout player last year as he slashed .346/.437/.623 across three levels. He will be challenged in the upper levels of the minors, he's been old for his levels, but if he's anywhere near the hitter he showed last year he's going to be fun. But I really wanted De Los Santos back. I had some questions on him at the end of last year, but his upside is unquestioned and he had a massive spring. He'll start the year at AA and will only be 20 in June. He's a beast if he keeps developing. So happy to have him back. Used some outfield depth to fill out my gaps a little better.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded George Valera, Coby 20-Mayo, Jett 22-Williams to Rockies for Nick Ahmed, Jordan Westburg

To me, given time, Valera, Mayo, and Williams will all be impactful MLB players. Each has gaps and holes, but each are young and have achieved real success at higher levels with still real upside to go. If Mayo elevates the ball, he'll be a beast. If Jett makes consistent contact, he's a dead-on MLB starter. If Valera cuts the swing and miss, he's a middle of the order bat. All are real top 100 guys. It's a huge haul for Nate.

I have fond memories of Nick Ahmed as my SS...but that's not why he's here. This deal was for Westburg. He jumped on to the prospect radar with a huge 2022 and has only taken it to another level in 2023. While I like Mayo, there are some questions, and I feel like Westburg can be a long-term, dead-on 3b option for me, while also having some positional versatility. Big goal this year is finding real answers for my team to start competing a bit in 2024, and I think Westburg is one of them.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Guardians traded Josiah Gray, Andrew 21-Abbott, Robert Suarez, Anthony Maldonado to Padres for Miguel Castro, Taj 0-Bradley, Justin Foscue, Ken Waldichuk

No doubt Pat gets the highest upside guy in the deal. Taj has TORP stuff. He has been mercurial this year between AAA & MLB, but the stuff is legit. After that, Waldichuk, Castro, & Foscue all have usable SIM's and interesting upside. Castro has been a very solid MLB reliever. Foscue hits the ball hard and has solid positional versatility, but, in his case, he's equally bad all positions. Waldichuk raced up prospect charts last year on results & quirkiness, but his stuff is getting hit this year and he's now out of the pen. I do think he'll be a mid-rotation starter long-term.

For me, it was about gaining real pitching depth after doing so in my infield. Gray was a top tier prospect before he exhausted his prospect status. He's been up and down as an MLBer, but has settled into a mid-rotation arm and is still just 25. The more I read about Abbott the more I've liked. The decrease in his BB rate has played up his K% and he's taken two decent turns in the MLB rotation. I don't think his long-term is near as good as Bradley, but I think he's a legit #2-3 starter with his improved command and control. Suarez will be back soon and was interesting enough last year. Maldonado has put up video game numbers in the minors and is still just 25.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Luken Baker to Rays for Dominic Canzone

Baker has had a big breakout year all the way to MLB...where he's oddly just been unused and stashed on the Cards bench. Ummm...why not just put him back at AAA if you have no reason to play him? Sorry...tangent. Solid player.

Canzone is like Baker if he were an outfielder. Lightly regarded but continues to hit past his prospect status. For me, I have Aranda at 1b, Canzone gives me more, closer OF depth.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Jack 21-Leiter, Prelander 0-Berroa, Gavin 20-Stone to Giants for Ezequiel Duran

All of Leiter, Stone, and Berroa are solid, high-upside pitching prospects...an area that Jake could use, and I had quite a few of.

He also had a lot of hitters, and Duran was expendable. Duran plays everywhere on the field and hits the ball really hard. He will be someone I will be counting on in a major way moving forward. I'm sure I overpaid on this one, but I love players like Duran.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”