Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Owen Miller to Padres for Deyvison 0-De Los Santos

I think De Los Santos is a fantastically underrated prospect. Still just 19, he decimated LA/HA last year and ending the year in AA & the AFL. After a rocky start, he's righted the ship and continues to make hard contact. He may not be a 3b long-term and his pitch selection is still rough, but there is real thunder to his stick...and he has plenty of time to still work it out.

Owen Miller is not super sexy, but the dude just hits and has awesome positional flexibility. This year he's hitting over .300 (.305 milb hitter) and played multiple games at 1b, 2b, 3b, lf, & rf. He's also from Wisconsin, so the move to the Brewers was a nice homecoming for him...and he's paying it off. Decent price to pay, but love what Miller brings to SD.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Reds traded Harold Ramirez to Padres for JP Sears

JP Sears is a very solid pitcher. He strikes out a batter per inning, he limits base runners, and the SIM kind of likes him.

Harold Ramirez is a very solid hitter. He's not great defensively, but hits the ball, plays for the Rays, and the SIM liked the improvement in his bat last year. He'll fit into the lineup I'm conjuring up for next year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Esteury Ruiz, Owen 20-Caissie, Andrew Nardi to Braves for Nolan Jones, Xzavion Curry

Nardi is a fun reliever who dominated the minors and has been outstanding in the first full go at the MLB level. Caissie is now firmly on top 100 lists with tantalizing power, but massive swing and miss. Ruiz is a decent center fielder with prodigious SB ability, but has a limited ceiling if he's not a .300 hitter.

Nolan Jones had a terrific prospect pedigree before he struggled in his first AAA season at 23. He got slightly better in 24, and has been unlocked this year. He started the year smoking AAA and has continued to hit well in his first full run at the MLB level. I'm not sure he's a .900 ops guy at the highest level, but I'd certainly take .850 with his ability to play around the diamond. Also, Curry is a very fine reliever, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Hunter Harvey, J.P. France to Padres for Grant 18-Lavigne, Jud 22-Fabian

Lavigne is a talented hitter who has a chance to explode if he can learn to lift the ball with more consistency. Fabian hits the crap out of the ball and has a strong approach. If he can continue to make contact as he progresses up the ladder, he will be an incredibly impactful player. He's a tremendous talent.

Harvey was a consistent member of the prospect top 100 lists, but the man just could not stay healthy. He's reemerged as a reliever with pretty strong results so far. The bet here is JP France. France was a low level prospect who came back from the pandemic throwing harder with more snap. He was solid the last two years in tough pitching environments before exploding in aaa this year. He has thrown 10 strong starts for the Astros since his call-up. He will absolutely need to bump up his K rate to close to his MiLB levels to be an impact pitcher, but the SIM liked him enough last year that if he can sustain his MLB success at all down the line he should be a solid back-end starter for a while.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Everson 0-Pereira, Josiah Gray, Zack 21-Gelof, Nathan 22-Martorella to BlueJays for Reid Detmers

Pereira just continues to perform when he can stay healthy. He's an awesome talent. Gelof is a professional hitter who will assuredly make an impact at the highest level. Martorella is a tremendously talented young hitting 1b who has produced in his first season. Josiah Gray is really figuring it out without being perfect. He's been terrific this year by mostly limiting the homers he let up last year. If he can attack the zone a little better (more k's, less bb's) AND limit the hard contact, he has a real chance.

Detmers has lights out stuff and is really producing at only 23 at the MLB level. Love that he had success last year and has bumped his k rate this year while keeping the bb's similar. I think he has true #2 talent, and should combine with Abbott & a future addition to make a dynamic top of the rotation sooner than later.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Rockies traded Cody Bellinger, Bryce Elder, Kahlil 21-Watson to Padres for Spencer 22-Jones, Padres Draft Pick 1

This is a really big trade. Nate is not only getting a high level, high ceiling prospect in Jones who is absolutely holding his own, but he is also almost assuredly getting a top 5 pick in one of the most loaded drafts in recent MLB history. It is a tremendous haul.

From my end, I can use future drafts to stock up (and my '22 group is still pretty strong). Building a team for next year, for me, had two gaping holes. One was in cf and one was at the towards the top of the rotation. This trade gives me two, young, proven MLB players in those spots. Watson was a really nice add as a player who still demonstrates all the skills that got him drafted high, but is struggling from a stats perspective to make an impact. I'm giving up a ton from an upside standpoint, but am excited how this positions my team moving forward.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Robert Suarez, Phoenix Sanders, Padres Draft Pick 2, Padres Draft Pick 3 to Rangers for Jose Urquidy, Rangers Draft Pick 5

Suarez and Sanders both have solid SIM's. Suarez is almost back from injury and Sanders is well appreciated by the SIM. Both will help this season. The 2nd & 3rd rounders are both solid picks in this year's draft. This was a big price to pay.

The SIM was coming around on Urquidy until his injury early this year. He should be back soon and hopefully rewrite his start to the season. At his best, he's a mid-rotation starter who does not K enough to hit the TORP level, but he limits base runners very well...something I definitely appreciate. He's still just 28 and a solid track record of MLB success. He'll sit behind Elder, Detmers, & Abbott in the rotation, & compete with Schmidt and France for the 4th and 5th starter spots. He also has some experience as a swing reliever, which can also be helpful.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Cardinals traded Trevor Rogers, Cardinals Draft Pick 5 to Padres for Harold Ramirez, Isaac 22-Coffey

Coffey is a Red Sock, so he's all bad...but he's good value for a free pickup and he's just been terrific at HA & AA so far this year. He doesn't have world beating stuff, but he really challenges hitters with good success so far. And Ramirez is just a really good player. He's multi-positional, hits the ball consistently, and clearly is a helpful player on a winning team...and still well in his prime.

But a man can dream...can't he? Rogers would have been untouchable two years ago as he burst up prospect lists and onto the scene, taking souls along the way. But last year was really ugly. He couldn't stay consistent, got hurt, and really struggled. But if you look at the underlying secondaries and batted ball data, it wasn't nearly as bad...and he was off to a decent enough start this year until he got hurt. Good news it's not throwing arm, but bad news is he's still out for a while. Hopefully he'll get some starts in this year to keep progressing in the right direction...as he's still just 25. It's a big bet, but the upside was too much to pass up.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Joel Payamps, Matt Strahm to Padres for Drew 20-Romo, Vaun 21-Brown

Romo is a really nice, young catcher finally finding his footing in AA after some massive early season hitting issues...but he's a real catcher, with real thump, holding his own at 21 in aa. The bad news is he's in the Rockies developmental system. I hated trading Brown more, though. Dude destroyed minor league pitching last year and crushed ha again this year. He struggles to start in aa, but has really come on of late. I'm not sure there's enough power for a superstar here, but I don't think there's any doubt he's a 4th of/2nd division starter. The bat plays.

Payamps is someone the SIM was a little wary of this past off-season, but is having a terrific 2023 season and should receive a 'crap he's been really good for 3 years' SIM bump. The k rate increase this year is positively eye opening. I'm a sucker for multi-positional players and versatile pitchers...and Strahm is definitely in the 2nd category. He'll certainly get a starter rating next year, is a solid relief pitcher, and has a wonderful k rate. He'll be able to fill in the rotation as needed while getting me important innings out of the pen. He also keeps getting better, which I hope the SIM will appreciate. This will add two formidable arms to my bullpen.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

BlueJays traded Ryan Mountcastle, Brainer 0-Bonaci to Padres for Hunter Harvey, Trevor Rogers

Harvey was a tremendous former prospect who couldn’t stay healthy who’s reinventing himself as a very strong relief option. I did not expect to move Rogers when I traded for him, as he’s still a talent I believe in who has TORP potential with back-end being a high floor…if he can stay healthy.

Mountcastle is a player I really like. He’s got excellent power, just a little too much swing and miss. He fills a power hole in my lineup and is still very young. Bonaci is a wonderful contact prospect who is growing into his power. He’s in and around too 100 lists and I live his defensive versatility.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Clayton Beeter, Marlins Draft Pick 4 to Padres for Jorbit 0-Vivas

I'm a big Vivas guy and I'm sure I'll be back after him. He's small, understands the strike zone, and can punish bad pitches. Zips is a big fan, too.

After getting my thumper and another solid mif prospect, it was time to turn to Beeter. This was a deal that Nils and I were kicking for a while. Beeter has really broken out since getting to the Yankee system, all the way to a solid start in AAA. Zips also likes him a bit, and he should be good sp depth for me as soon as next year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Ryan O'Hearn, Nathan 21-Hickey to Padres for Joey 21-Loperfido, Josh 0-Stephan

Loperfido is great and hits the ball really hard. Stephan broke out this year and pushed himself to as.

O’Hearn is hitting mlb pitching solidly. Hickey will be a qualifier at c and hits the piss out of the ball.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Royals traded Kerry Carpenter, Sean Bouchard to Padres for Ryan Mountcastle

Didn't trade for Mountcastle thinking I'd trade him. He's a terrific young hitter with very good power. Tough to find a position and he might be a better sim player in 2023 then he will moving forward, but he's a tremendous risk for a contender. Great power and still young.

Carpenter is younger and having another very solid year. He can play both cof positions so helps my versatility over Mountcastle. Bouchard was a MiLBer before an incredibly strong 1st stint in the MLB. He was unfortunately hurt in this pre-season, but has started strongly again on his rehab assignments. Another player with a strong SIM background and excellent versatility.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Brainer 0-Bonaci, Michael Busch, Seth 19-Johnson, Dahian 19-Santos, Kahlil 21-Watson to Phillies for Emmanuel Rivera, Gregory Santos, Brayan Rocchio, Ryne Nelson, Jordan 22-Beck

This was a doozy. Bonaci and Watson are tremendous up the middle the middle prospects who have been in and around top 100 prospects. Johnson and Santos are straight up lottery tickets. Santos has tremendous stuff but just healthy this year, and Johnson is still rated highly with the prospect gurus but has to get on the field. Busch was the hardest to part with. I gave up a ton for him and expected him to be a part of my lineup for a long time coming.

In return, I'm good with what I get back. Rivera gives me good cover at 3b. Santos is a solid, young reliever. Nelson gives me starting pitching depth. Beck is a really fun '22 to follow. Rocchio is the best prospect in this trade, but he has some work to do to be an MLB performer. While Busch was difficult to part with, I give myself way more depth and flexibility moving forward.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Josh Sborz, Brett Baty to Padres for Gregory Santos, Brayan Rocchio, Marlins Draft Pick 4

Never super intended to keep Rocchio with Volpe, but he is certainly awesome. While he may be a 2b long-term now, he's a terrific athlete, dynamic bat, and solid fielder. Santos is a fantastic young reliever who may never strike out enough to be a true closer, but he'll be an outstanding reliever for a long, long time. And Nils gets one of his picks back!

Baty was a unanimous top 25-ish prospect who, like many future superstars, super struggled in his first run at MLB. I was a little cautious becuase of said struggles, but he is absolutely dominating aaa and the Mets continue to swear he's the 3b of the future. Baty puts Westburg in a more natural 2b position in my lineup, too...which is a bonus. Sborz has phenomenal underlying numbers this year, just a bit unlucky in the runs department. Hopefully off a decent sim last year he'll jump again with a good close to this year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Cody Bellinger, Jose Urquidy, Nick Vespi to Rangers for Jo Adell, AJ 21-Smith-Shawver, Bryce 21-Miller

Bellinger is having a massive comeback season in Chicago. He's a solid cf and the bat is clearly back. He'll help now and next year. Urquidy is a very solid starter who also has a really solid SIM. Vespi is very strong reliever who has a usable sim and is having another excellent year between MiLB & MLB.

I've been after Adell for a very, very long time. A year in aaa has allowed him to tap back into his power and was off to a decent start back in the mlb before he got hurt. He's such a massive talent and still just 24. Thrilled to finally have him. Miller has been electric since being drafted all the way to the mlb level where he's performed very well in his first run. He has an electric fastball and confounding secondaries. He was amazing to start, has hit a couple rough patches, but has started to right the ship. Smith-Shawver has been unlocked this year. Although only 20 he has raced through the minors and up top 100 lists culminating in a debut 5 decent appearances at the mlb level. My lineup remains solid and my rotation gets a huge boost...but Bellinger is really awesome.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Joel Payamps, Daylen 21-Lile, Yonathan Perlaza, Jordan 22-Beck to WhiteSox for James Outman, WhiteSox Draft Pick 4

This was a tough one. Perlaza has set aaa on fire in a big breakout season, putting him right on the cusp of mlb. He'll be a solid sim player for a while, and while there's a whiff aaaa with him...there's also real upside. Speaking of breakouts...Lile, wow. Coming off a year-long injury he's been everything the Nats could have hoped when they drafted him. He's got massive upside that he's starting to tap into. Payamps has been awesome as a reliever this year and looks to have real game-end ability. And Beck is a beast. He's been cracking top 100 lists and looks to be a real one and has battled his way to aa already. Fantastic player.

4th round pick helps, but Outman was clearly the focus here. Moving Bellinger left a little hole in cf, but I really liked the value I got from moving him. Outman fits my timeline, has been the primary cf for the Dodgers, and has been a plus offensive player at a primary position. I'm not expecting an EX in cf, and do recognize there's a strikeout issues, but he's adjusted since mid-season struggles and has been one of the best offensive players in mlb over the last little way. After a breakout year last year, he's more than showing he's a real one this year. I gave up a ton, but I'm a big fan of Outman.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded WhiteSox Draft Pick 4 to Cardinals for Zach 22-Dezenzo

Hit up JP once I saw my claim spot wouldn't get Dezenzo, so he gets a real asset just for existing. Good for him.

Dezenzo absolutely smoked ha but has found life a little more challenging at aa, which is fine at 23. He's got top of the charts power that he needs to be consistent to tap into. There's real risk, but the Astros tend to do really well with prospects like this...so that's the hope...and as a '22, I get a look at him through next year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded J.P. France, AJ 21-Smith-Shawver to BlueJays for Alexis Diaz, John Schreiber

France has been a solid prospect and has an excellent first season in Houston. It will be interesting to see his position as the Astros get some of their hurt pitching back and he's outpitched his secondaries, but he just keeps putting up solid starts and he's still young. Smith-Shawver is only 20, has raced up prospect charts this year, and held his own in his mlb debut. He's primarily a two-pitch pitcher and development of a third pitch will be critical, but he is so much fun and so young.

I'm sure I overpaid in this, but I got exactly what I was looking for. Schreiber was nice enough to let Volpe hit a homer off him last night, but, overall, has been excellent over the last few years and will help the back end of my bullpen. But Diaz was the get. He's young and one of the most dominant relievers in the game the last few years. He gives me a true closer that fits with the demographic of my team. My starting depth takes a hit, but I think I'm still decently covered there.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Phillies traded Angel Perdomo to Padres for Yoendrys 0-Gomez, Julian 21-Aguiar

Aguiar was a recent pickup who's had a really nice year. He tore up ha and has held his own at aa at 22. He may lack the top end stuff, but he's well on his way to an mlb career. Gomez possesses a lot of upside. Coming off an injury, he's been limited in aa, but has been excellent. He needs to stay healthy and throw more strikes, but the Yankees really want to give him every chance as a starter, even if his end game is the bullpen.

Perdomo got some run out in the mlb in his mid-20's and got whacked. This version is going WAY better. He's got his walks under control and his elite stuff has produced a 13.7 k/9. He adds a left-hand mlb arm to my right heavy pen. Now I'll just need one of my minors arms to pop to give balance to my pen.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Athletics traded Allan Winans to Padres for Sean Bouchard

Bouchard had a great start to his mlb career and got a solid sim, but was unfortunately then injured for most of this year...only now really coming back. He's doing well in milb, with some slight power concerns, but I'm sure he'll spend some solid time in the pros over the next few years as a 4th of or 2nd division starter.

Winans is pitcher Bouchard. He has some decent sim's and has been outstanding against milb hitters. He held his own in his mlb debut, but was far from inspiring. He gives me some sp cover after I thinned it out after recent trades. Not much to see here.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Royals traded Royals Draft Pick 5 to Padres for Buddy Kennedy

Kennedy keeps destroying aaa pitching and struggling against mlb pitching. He's not a aaaa player yet (only 24)...but he's at least walking up to that line. Good value for a 5th, though.

And I got the 5th.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Cardinals traded Patrick Wisdom, Christian Walker, Paul Sewald, Jeter 22-Martinez, Royals Draft Pick 2 to Padres for Jonathan Aranda, James Outman, Tyler 21-Hardman, Padres Draft Pick 5

This was a tough trade. I love Aranda, Outman, Hardman, and I had grown quite fond of that 5th round pick. Outman is a truly fun, young cf who's making a terrific impact with the Dodgers as is. Aranda destroyed aaa this year and is holding his own this time in mlb. Hardman is a fun prospect with tremendous power. And that 5th round pick...boy...it was magical.

Wisdom continues to hit bombs and do his infield-Joey Gallo imitation. Martinez is a Jeter, so I'm totally in. Also, he's a fun, young pitcher in a solid system. The 2nd & Jeter help with my 2024 draft situation. Sewald is a nice pickup as a mid-inning reliever. Obviously the get is Walker. He's a true middle of the order hitter who's grown into one of the best 1b's in the game. He'll balance out my lineup as the kids continue to grow into their ceilings...and, as he's just getting better, hopefully he gives me a sold 3-4 year run.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Paul Sewald, John Schreiber, Cardinals Draft Pick 5 to Yankees for Tyler Wells, Yankees Draft Pick 4

Not a long stay for Schreiber or Sewald, who are both excellent relievers...and exactly what JB asked for in his WS run.

Wells has had a solid breakout year, until recently. He was sent back down, but had a strong season in mlb, led by a tremendous whip and a solid k rate. He's been very good at the milb level, too...so looking for him to get a solid #4/#5 starter next year to complement what I already have.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Padres Draft Pick 4 to Pirates for George 0-Soriano

The Pirates get an early 4th for just simply being alive. What a world.

Despite getting completely dispatched last night, Soriano has had all the look of one of the better young relievers in the league. Hopefully with less days like yesterday.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”