Trades

Brett Zalaski's blog

Moderator: Yankees

Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: Trades

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Travis 18-Swaggerty, Noah 19-Song to Padres for Amed Rosario

Rosario is still a super talented players. It's clear that the Indians prefer Gimenez at short. Rosario being versatile would be great, if I didn't already have 475 versatile players on my team. I'd love some long-term solutions that will be position specific...which it just doesn't seem Rosario will be...as talented as he remains.

Swaggerty is quite the opposite. He's a CF. And going to be a very defensively solid one at that. He created a ton of concerns with a mediocre post-draft start and then a just flat out bad start in 2019, before he was outstanding the last two months of the year at HA to put some shine back on...before he was outstanding at the alternate site, making many within the organization put him on the doorstep of MLB. If his end of 2019 matches his 2020 in 2021? His status will jump quick. Otherwise, that's just a lot of numbers. Also, Noah Song is probably a Top 100 prospect the minute he steps on the mound...if his time away doesn't relegate him to relieving. I love him as a prospect...only hope he plays soon.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Robert 19-Puason, Yoelqui 20-Cespedes to Padres for Bryan Reynolds, Yermin 0-Mercedes

Mercedes & Reynolds are both very good, but very flawed professionals. Reynolds will hit and get on-base, and is still only 26, but does not play an elite OF so the lack of any real power stands out a little more. I believe in the Mercedes bat, but he's pretty useless in the NL as currently constructed. He just can't stand on the field. With their flaws, both will still positive impact Jason's lineup for years.

Cespedes and Puason aren't just super fun prospects, they are incredibly helpful with my roster flexibility. Cespedes is an outstanding athlete who has put on 20 pounds of muscle since defecting two years ago. He's used that time to invest in his skills. He was always young and super talented, but had mediocre results...so that hope is that the time maturing his body positively will play on the field. Reports from the alternate site have been mixed to positive, but his risk, more than anything is age and time. He's 24 and needs to find MLB as soon as possible. Puason is still only 18, already has state-side experience, was a $5 million international signing, and has all the tools to stick as a switching-hitting shortstop. If it clicks for either of these guys, it's a great deal for me. If no? I get crushed. But I didn't love my draft, so, at worst, I get good roster flexibility.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates traded Sam Hentges, Julio 0-Rodriguez to Padres for Patrick Valaika

Valaika has some interesting versatility, some thunder in his stick, and, most importantly to JP, a heck of a SIM.

What I'm getting back is interesting. Hentges was a middle-of-the-road starting prospect, but has seen everything play up in the bullpen. He impressed in instructs, impressed in ST, and has the stuff and makeup of a strong lefty reliever...though the Indians may try him as starter again in the future. Rodriguez is fun, too. He's an elite defensive catcher who's thrown out 69% of base runners in his career (not a typo...69%). He also hits occasionally and then he has fits where he looks hapless, too. He'll probably make the pros for the glove...but he's got upside if he can ever find anything out of the bat.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Carter Kieboom, Davis 19-Wendzel, Yoelkis 20-Céspedes to WhiteSox for Austin Riley

Big bet here...with a lot of ways this could go wrong for me. Kieboom could live up to his prospect status. Cespedes could be the beast he looks like and his bloodlines predict. And Wendzel is no slouch. He can really rake. These are a collection of really good prospects.

Riley jumped his prospect status in 2019 as he ran up to MLB. 2020 was more of a struggle. We'll see where he ends up. If he makes consistent contact and his power plays, he's a middle of the order, true 3b. It's exactly the type of bat I needed to take a jump for...let's see if he pans out.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Dodgers traded Sean Murphy to Padres for A.J. Puk, Ryan 18-Jeffers, Robert 19-Puason

I gave up good players. Jeffers was a pop-up catching prospect over the last two years. I think he's certainly a starter long-term...but the Twins have catchers so it may take some time for him to really establish himself. Puason is a ways away, but has all the upside in the world. Puk has an incredible arm...just a hard time staying consistently on the field.

I've been trying to get Murphy on and off for a couple years. Despite some injury issues, Murphy is an impact bat at the catcher position. He moved into tippy top prospect status heading into 2020, where he finished 4th in the AL ROY voting. He'll get on base, hit some homers, and, if healthy, bring some real stability to the catcher position for me for a long time.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Steve Cishek to Pirates for Allan 18-Cerda

Cishek is a formerly outstanding reliever, who still has a good SIM, who's not aging super gracefully.

Cerda is a fun, young player. He's got a ton of upside and is off to a good start. He will probably flame out, but he's a pure CF with a power bat...that's fun to dream on.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Matt Manning, Travis 18-Swaggerty, Anthony 19-Volpe to Twins for Joey Gallo, Yermin 0-Mercedes

If Manning can solve some issues with homers, he's a legitimate #2 starter. He's at least a top 50 prospect...if not top 25. He's a real dude. Swaggerty will be a starting CF because of his glove. Volpe is a ways away, but he's a lot of fun.

Mercedes looks to be eligible at 1b which will plug a hole in my lineup. If you told me Gallo would be hitting .211, I'd tell you he'd have 15 homers by now. He doesn't...so hopefully he can keep the AVG and OBP in place, and the homers will follow. He's grown into a Gold Glover in right, and will combine with Mercedes, Murphy, Solak, Rodgers, and Riley for the starting point for a very nice lineup.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Seth 18-Beer to WhiteSox for Kyle Freeland, Yusei Kikuchi

Seth Beer is just going to hit. He is. He'll sit in the middle of a lineup and hit for years. He's done it at every level. Unfortunately for me, with Yermin Mercedes, I don't have two spots for positionless players.

Both Freeland and Kikuchi have flaws. Freeland is freshly 28 and was a darling after his 2018 season. He fell off a cliff in 2019 and battled back for a decent bounce back year in 2020. Injuries have sapped him a little of his stuff, but he was wonderful in his rehab starts this year and in his first MLB appearance. I'm betting he's a mid-back rotation guy. Kikuchi will be 30 shortly and will never be a dominant arm, but the SIM likes him a bit and he's looked pretty darn good so far this year. If I can stick these two behind some trio of Javier/Garcia/Dunning/Kowar/Schmidt, I'll be in pretty decent shape on the mound.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Andrew Benintendi, Gunnar 19-Henderson, Nick 19-Mikolajchak to Padres for Brandon Marsh, Clarke 17-Schmidt

Depending on how you view Schmidt's injuries, I'm giving up two top 100 guys here. Marsh has a pretty high floor, despite his AAA struggles this year...with upside for much more. Schmidt can be a #2-3 starter if he's able to stay on the field. He could become a power reliever, but the Yankees will gave him every chance to be a rotation piece.

Benindtendi is only 26 and reached higher prospect heights than Marsh. His 2020 was a train wreck, but he's been a good starter for most of his career. I'll buy his current for Marsh's potential. Mikolajchak is more than a throw-in. He got on the Indians radar in a big way during the alternate site, and he's been just wonderful so far at AA. His career MiLB era is 0.25, whip is 0.71, and is averaging 14.8 k/9. The Indians have a terrific track record of developing premium relievers with big stuff...and he's still draft eligible for me. Henderson was a well regarded prospect coming out of the 2019 draft and is just gulping helium right now. He drew raves at the alternate site and has been on fire at LA so far. The Orioles believe he's a SS and that the bat is legit. He's breaking into top 100 lists already and will keep flying up if he keeps performing even near this level.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Jose 0-Urquidy to Padres for Drey 19-Jameson, Josh 18-Winder

Winder is the get here. He's flying up prospect charts and absolutely shoving at AA this year. I got him as almost a throw in and this feels like a good return for flipping him. Jameson is a first round arm who's off to a pretty good start this year at HA...but he's probably a reliever long term.

Urquidy has been terrific at every stop, including a 3.26 era and 1.03 whip over a full 121 MLB ip's...and he's just entering his prime. He's not a super dynamic arm, but he's absolutely a mid-rotation starter at the MLB level.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Jameson 18-Hannah, Noah 19-Song, Nick 17-Maton to WhiteSox for Joey Wendle

Hannah has been on prospect lists and is someone the industry likes but doesn't love...though he's trying to change that having a big year in AA. Maton has a high floor as a utility man/2nd division starter. Song is the super interesting one...and I'm sure I'll ask Jim about him again at some point. If he was on the field either of the last two years he's an immediate Top 100 prospect. He finishes flight school this year...and is eligible to return next. Interesting to see how he comes back and how the Red Sox deploy him.

Wendle plays across the dirt, gets on base, and will hit for some power. Outside of a blip in 2019, he's been an excellent pro and is having another terrific year in 2021. He gives me time to be patient on my younger infielders, like Solak, Rodgers, Henderson, etc. Jim got very good value, but I got a very solid player.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Max 16-Kranick, Griffin 18-Conine to WhiteSox for Anthony Santander, Phillip Diehl

Conine has just raked at every level. He can play some solid OF, has power, and has patience. The scary part is that he strikes out. A ton. He's k'd in HA in 38% of his PA's and 46% of his AB's. He's going to have to hold those levels against better pitching to be an impact bat...but there's definitely hope with his eye. Kranick has just blown the Pirates away every step of the way. Few took advantage of the off year in 2020 better than Kranick, who earned his trip to the bigs after only 7 games above HA. He's a fun one to watch continue to push his way towards a mid-rotation arm.

Diehl was ripping through the minors before getting torched in 2019 and 2020 at the upper minors and MLB. He got his ass out of Colorado, and is, once again, tearing it up at AAA. He's only 26 and has the stuff to sit comfortably in an MLB bullpen...but he could also be cut, too. Santander was the get here. He was impressive in the minors, earning an MLB call-up at 22. He was good in 2019 and very good in 2020 at the MLB level. And he's been dogshit this year. He's only 26, and I believe he'll level out somewhere between this horseshit and 2019 over time. That's plenty good to find AB's all over the OF for me.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Taijuan Walker, Kyle Schwarber, Jonathan 18-India to Padres for Joey Gallo, Nick Solak, Deivi 0-Garcia

Gallo is a stud. Solak and Garcia have had tough years, but have a lot of talent and terrific SIM's. And Nils is playing for this year...and that makes all of it beneficial for him.

Walker is someone the SIM liked and is having another great year. Schwarber is 90% Gallo. India is decent defensively and has a top bat and OBP. I've turned one starter next year into three. That's a trade I have to take.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Greg 17-Deichmann, Erik 19-Miller to Twins for Jonathan Schoop, Josh Sborz

Erik Miller is highly regarded, just needs to stay on the mound. Greg Deichmann is just flat out fun. He's got a .450 obp at AAA with a .317 BA...but has absolutely not tapped into his raw power yet. He's got real plus raw that, if he taps into, he could be a real dangerous player. Even if not, he's got a solid floor.

Schoop has been low key good over the last three seasons and somehow is still only 29. He should battle with India for some 2b ab's and Mercedes for some 1b ab's...and be a great bat off the bench, too. Sborz is a really fun arm. He's k'ing 12.2 per 9 and has the stuff to be a dominant setup arm if he could shave his bb rate a little. Fun upside for Jason, adds strongly to my depth for next year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Pirates traded Noah Syndergaard, Ji-Man Choi, Matt Barnes to Padres for Nick Nelson, Jackson 18-Kowar, Gunnar 19-Henderson, Padres Draft Pick 1

JP is getting a lot here. My pick will be somewhere from 3-10 in what will be a solid draft. Good chance he lands a top 100 guy. Henderson and Kowar have both pushed themselves on to top 100 lists. Kowar probably rests as a mid- to back-end rotation stalwart, Henderson with a ton of upside but a long development path still to go. Nelson is a fine relief prospect who's done great in AAA but struggled in his MLB outings. That's 3 top 100 prospects and a relief prospect.

Barnes is having a career year and been utterly dominant. He'll slot in to the back of my pen and while he's not young, he's not super old. Choi is similar in age, and I like the offensive profile to consistently get on base. He'll man 1b while I wait to see what Bradley is. The get is obviously Syndergaard. He should be back for September if no more setbacks. He's not a Cy Young winner any more, but the SIM still likes him, he's been terrific every time he pitches, and he's still only 28. My rotation won't have an ace, but a Syndergaard/Walker/Urquidy/Kikuchi/Dunning rotation with Javier, Freeland, Barria, and Widener as some pretty good depth. As I said, I gave up a lot, but filled three pretty big holes.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Eric 17-Pardinho, Jovani 0-Moran to Brewers for Luis Cessa

I'm almost 100% going to lose this deal. Moran might make the pros this year and he might be better than Cessa. Pardinho was cracking Top 100 lists before he had some healthy issues. It's a great return.

This SIM likes Cessa and he's having another solid season. Hopefully he keeps his durability rating and gets some starts...he'd be super valuable to me then. He adds to a growing bullpen I'm starting to get excited about.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Nationals traded Richard Bleier, Ramon Laureano, Tim Hill to Padres for Jonathan Schoop, Jose Siri, Alek 18-Thomas, Padres Draft Pick 2

I certainly spent for Laureano. The 2nd rounder will be low 30's in a good draft. Schoop is playing terrific, consistent baseball and Jose Siri is absolutely raking at Sugarland to make good on a prospect with real promise. Thomas is the big get, though. BP had him up to 27th in their mid-season review, and he's flown up prospect charts again this year. He's a real CF with potential plus hit and power. He's performing terrific at only 21 at AA. Very high floor and ceiling.

Bleier and Hill are both good, old, aging relievers. I was pretty righty heavy in developing my pen, and going to have to hope for a big SIM for Baragar, so these guys ease that pressure a lot. Obviously Laureano is the get, though. He's a real CF who'll add some pop and speed to the back-middle of my lineup. He struggled in the COVID season, but was incredible in '18 & '19 and is still in his prime in a solid season in '21. SIM has him solidly pegged this year, so he should be a real value to me next year, too.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Tigers traded Tony Kemp to Padres for Bryce 20-Elder, Padres Draft Pick 3

Bryce Elder was an FA acquisition who the Braves are developing nicely. He's got an outside chance to be a mid-rotation arm, but will probably be a back-end/2nd division/AAAA type. The 3rd rounder should end up in the 60's in a solid draft.

Tony Kemp is just a good baseball player. He's multi-positional and gets on-base. Those become really important in a season. He's having a heck of a season in Oakland. He'll join a very deep bench, but I'm sure he'll find some at-bats next year.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Michael Fulmer, Jordan Romano, Alex 18-Vesia to Padres for Matt Barnes, Tim Hill

Just your normal 5 reliever trade. Barnes has been one of the best relievers in baseball this year for sure. Challenge is that he's getting on and the SIM has liked-not-loved him. Hill is a fine lefty reliever, just also not a spring chicken. Both will help Nils now and for the next few years.

I just bought myself a few years and some starts in the deal. Romano has been fantastic in his last two MLB campaigns and the secondaries back up the success. Fulmer has had a successful turn in relief, and, with a handful of starts again this year, he'll be a versatile addition to both my pen and rotation when needed. Vesia has been virtually unhittable out of the pen...just walks a few too many people. He's young for a reliever and the SIM has an appreciation for him.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Tyrone Taylor, Brent Rooker, Padres Draft Pick 4 to Rays for Jonathan Villar, Austin Hays, Rays Draft Pick 5

We're shuffling some deck chairs here, but one's that do have value across the board. Taylor has had a nice little breakout season that keeps in line with some nice MiLB #'s and a few good runs in the pros. He's probably a 4th of...but he's making some noise for more. Rooker destroyed AAA again, and has done ok since be recalled after the deadline. He needs consistent AB's somewhere...and he's just not really an OF. The AL is a much better spot for him.

Villar is a multi-positional player who is almost exactly league average as a hitter. He can play at short, second, and CF...and has seen some extended run for the Mets at 3b. He's a good player for a long season. The SIM is curious about Hays, and he re-pays their faith almost spot on. He's also solid across the OF spots. There's still some shine from some well-earned prospect status...and there's some hope that they power could play even more if he became more selective.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Noah Syndergaard, Anthony Santander, Richard Bleier to Indians for Zach Eflin, Ryan Mountcastle, Ranger Suarez

Tough to know exactly what Thor is these days...but the SIM still likes him, he's only 28, and all indications are he'll be back on the mound this year, which will almost certainly ensure him a good SIM next year. Bleier is still a very solid lefty reliever, and Santander is another solid player having another solid year...with a REALLY good SIM. Jim gets a lot of help in the SIM, and all people who will continue to help him out moving forward.

Eflin is a guy who has underperformed his peripherals the last few years, but has really had a solid last four seasons and can be viewed as a mid-rotationish starter now. Suarez is a lot of fun. He was lights out as a reliever and, after a couple trades, has now been stretched out into the Phillies rotation with excellent results...and he's really young. Mountcastle was the get, though. I love him. I think he's a no doubt middle of the lineup hitter as he matures. He's no defensive superstar, but I'm just loving a future infield of Mountcastle/India/Rodgers/Riley.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Padres traded Taijuan Walker to Mets for Harrison Bader

Walker is a pitcher who's found his health and has been effective. I also have 87 sp's just like him.

Bader is a CF who's found real effectiveness on a full time basis. John also has Cedric Mullins.

Solid trade for both.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Twins traded Bryan Reynolds to Padres for Harrison Bader, Jonathan 18-India

Bader is a really solid CF who's in the middle of a solid breakout year. He's at least a solid starter with even more upside for sure. India is a real player. He's got hit, on-base, and power skills. Biggest challenge is that he's only a 2b...and not a great defender at that. If he can continue to prove to stay on the dirt, he could be a pretty consistent all-star.

I've been asking about Reynolds pretty much since I traded him. He's become a legit middle of the order bat who can play in the field. As much as I love India, I can replace his OBP with Kemp...adding Reynolds impact with the bat makes my team even better.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Royals traded Sam 16-Huff to Padres for Jordan Romano

Romano is a really good reliever. Great primaries, great secondaries, great k rate...he's very good. He'll help Larry form a very good bullpen for next year.

Huff shot up prospect charts as a solid defense, big power catcher. He had a great pro debut in 2020, but has struggled with injuries this season...though has continued to show massive power. The SIM likes him, so hoping he gets ready for next year, keeps up with a usable SIM, and has a bounceback 2022.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Marlins traded Luis Urias, Nolan Jones to Padres for Ramon Laureano, Stephen 0-Ridings

Laureano was someone I paid for and really wanted. He's a top tier full on CF...but a bit less than as an RF, which he was for me with my trade for Reynolds. Ridings is a super fun relief prospect who's been great at a number of levels this year.

Urias will slot in for me at SS, pushing Rodgers to 2b. Urias has had a sneaky great season at 24...and still has real upside. He's got on base, showed some real pop, and while he hasn't been awesome for average in the pros, he's a career .300+ hitter in the minors. Nolan Jones is a pretty consensus top 100 prospect who wasn't awesome to start the year at AAA, but found his footing. He's still young and still has time...and will hopefully be my future RF, or someone who helps me find that.

Return to “The Hunt for Red October”