Pat Gillespie's blog.

Moderator: Guardians

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Guardian Apprentices

Post by Guardians »

The Athletic Top 20 prospects

4. Emmanuel Rodriguez, OF
If not for a season-ending knee injury last month, Emmanuel Rodriguez might have a strong argument for the top spot. Making his full-season debut at 19, he hit .272/.493/.553 in 47 games at Low-A Fort Myers, showing elite power and drawing an absurd 57 walks in 199 plate appearances. He’s expected to make a full recovery, perhaps in time to get back on the field this offseason.

Twins director of player development Alex Hassan called Rodriguez “a physical beast” despite his 5-foot-10 frame, and rarely does such a young hitter have an ultra-disciplined approach. Signed for $2.6 million as a highly touted 16-year-old, Rodriguez is now one of the Twins’ highest-upside prospects and profiles as a middle-of-the-order bat with good range and a strong arm in right field.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Evan Grant
@Evan_P_Grant
Cole Ragans went 5 IP, allowed 3 hits and a run in his first MLB start. Solid work.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://theathletic.com/3479747/2022/08 ... rspective/

Cole Ragans’ journey to the majors was long and winding but full of perspective

It was 2018, near the end of spring training, and Rangers’ 2016 first-round draft pick Cole Ragans and his fiance Tori — both from Tallahassee, Fla. — were excited for the season to begin. Cole was slated to start the season in Hickory, and Tori had family about an hour away. The two were planning their wedding for later that year, and they would have some family nearby to help with the preparations while Cole traveled with the Crawdads during the season. But on March 16, those plans changed when Ragans left an intra-squad game with discomfort in his left elbow.

A couple of days later, the news was announced: Ragans would be undergoing Tommy John surgery.

It was a setback, but not an uncommon one. The destruction of ulnar collateral ligaments has been near the top of the sport’s need-to-solve mysteries for years. It’s never good news, but dozens of pitchers every year find a way to get through the 12- to 18-month recovery process. In fact, in the young couple’s case, there was a silver lining.

“In hindsight, it was kind of nice,” Tori says. “Because I got to spend way more time with him than I would have if we would have been in-season. So it was just a day-by-day thing — we got to eat dinner together every night at a normal time and not at 10 o’clock. So it had its perks, even though it was not the most ideal situation. We persevered through it and it wasn’t terrible, like you would think.”

By May 2019, the process was nearly complete. The couple, who met in high school when Cole was a junior and Tori was a sophomore, were married partway through rehab, though they didn’t get to go home once the season ended — there’s no offseason in rehab. While staying in Arizona full-time, the pitcher spent his between-workout time going to the lake with fellow rehabbers Colin Wiles, Nick Gardewine and Alex Speas, among others.

By May, Ragans was nearing a return to affiliated ball. He and Tori had just bought a house in Tallahassee, assuming they would have a “normal” offseason once the minor-league season ended. The southpaw had one live bullpen left before shipping out. But during that final bullpen, he felt a familiar pain in his pitching elbow.

“I remember him coming home that day and saying, ‘Something’s wrong, something hurts.’ They were sending him to get an MRI,” Tori recalls. “‘I really don’t think this is going to be good. It’s a possibility that I’ve torn it again.’ And I was like, ‘Oh. OK, you know what, whatever happens, happens; there’s nothing we can do to control it. So we’ll just keep grinding it out and figure it out. But we’re not going to freak out yet until we get that information.’ We kind of just sat with it.”

The next day, Ragans sat down with Rangers rehab pitching coordinator Keith Comstock and the rest of the medical staff, who delivered the bad news that Ragans would have to undergo a second Tommy John surgery.

Another lost season. Another 16 months in Arizona.

“It’s not (the same as) a death in the family,” Comstock says. “But it was kinda close to that. That same kind of mournful feeling.”

“There were days where I was like, ‘I hope it works,’” Ragans says. “‘I’m doing all this work, I hope I come back healthy and ready to go.’ It’s always in the back of my mind. But it’s harder when it’s the beginning because you’re in the brace, you can’t really do much. It’s monotonous, you’re doing the same thing. You’re coming in, you’re getting your range of motion, you’re doing your little exercises you can do.”

Knowing the mental toll the second consecutive surgery was having on the young pitcher, Comstock says he gave Ragans the option to hang ’em up.

“We gave him that option,” Comstock says. “And nobody would have held that against him … (But) I didn’t want to use the word ‘retire.’ I’m not a big fan of the word ‘retire’ when you’ve only had a couple of years in baseball. I like to use the word ‘quit’ because he knew he wasn’t a quitter. I knew he would have hated that word — which he did, because it’s just not in his DNA. Had I maybe used the word ‘retire’, I don’t know if that would have eased him into it or not — I doubt it. But I knew the word ‘quit’ would really spur him the other way.”

He didn’t quit. With the help of Tori, and with new fellow rehabbers Mason Englert, Owen White, Jake Latz and A.J. Alexy, he ground out another 16 months of rehab and Comstock played his usual role of psychologist and cheerleader.

“Commie keeps you sane,” Ragans says. “He’s awesome. Whether it’s talking trash to you to get you out of your phone … he’s awesome.”

Ragans is quick to point out that he wasn’t the only one who had to endure the process. Tori also had to find ways to keep herself occupied during the extended stay in Surprise, Ariz.

“There’s a saying that we have lived by, since his injuries,” Tori says. “‘To be content with where our feet are at.‘ It can be so easy in this lifestyle to be looking into the future. For example, with the first TJ, we were like, ‘We just have to get to the end of the first TJ, then the season can start and you can start climbing the ladder again.’ And you just have to stop and pause. And we really did, we leaned on each other, Some days, I would obviously have a breakdown, like, ‘I would love to just be at home for this offseason, spend that time with our family and our friends.’ But you really just have to slow down and be content with where your feet are at. Because you’re setting yourself up for the possibility of something going wrong and being upset with it not going the way you planned.”

Oh, and they bought a dog — a miniature Schnauzer named Marley.

“I mean, a dog can’t talk to you,” Ragans says with a chuckle. “But also when you’re by yourself and you have a dog, it’s still someone that makes you (say) ‘All right, I gotta get up. I gotta take her to the bathroom. I gotta feed her. Make sure she’s good.’”

It was Marley, in fact, that led to a special moment.

After missing the 2018 and 2019 moments to rehab, Ragans also lost any opportunity to return in 2020 when COVID-19 scuttled the minor-league season. (“It actually worked out perfectly,” Tori says. “Because he was missing a season that everyone else was missing, and we got to go home for that … We got to really go home and enjoy our house for once, we hadn’t had that in two years.”) After 45 months out of game action, Ragans returned in May 2021, finally pitching for Hickory. He worked his way up the ranks over the following 15 months, posting a 3.32 ERA in 43 1/3 innings over eight starts with Triple-A Round Rock after a June 14 promotion.

On Aug. 2, the team was in Sugarland, and Cole and Tori were staying in a different hotel since the team hotel wasn’t “pet-friendly” and the couple had Marley in tow. Tori pulled into the players’ parking lot to pick up her husband. Cole called her as he poked his head out of the clubhouse door, in her line of vision.

“I see you,” Tori told him. “I’m parked. I’m good, I’m right here whenever you’re ready.”

“Can you come here for a second?’ Cole asked.

After so many hard conversations and bad news, Tori admits she was scared to learn what was coming next.

“You think about this moment for so long, what it’s going to be like and what your emotions are gonna be like,” Tori says. “I had tears in my eyes but I wasn’t sobbing like I thought it would. I think I was just in complete shock, like, ‘No way. You finally did it. We’re going.’”

On Aug. 4, Ragans made his big-league debut. While he says he was calm once he took the mound, he admits that there were some pregame jitters.

“I picked up like a bottle of water one time and I could see the water shaking,” he laughed after the game. “I was like, ‘Oh boy.’ And then as soon as I got on the field and started doing my stuff, it kind of went away and I just tried to tell myself, ‘Relax, it’s another baseball game. You’ve done this, it’s just on a bigger stage.’”

He went five innings, allowing just one unearned run against the White Sox, working around a bases-loaded jam in the first inning. His composure didn’t come as a surprise to Matt Hagen, whose first game as a manager was in Spokane in 2017 with Ragans on the mound, and who is currently managing in Triple-A Round Rock.

“I look at that kid (from 2017) compared to the young man now,” Hagen says. “And there’s so many similarities, but there are some differences that have come through that perseverance — just a laser-like focus where when things start to go wrong in an inning, they don’t snowball … I have to think that part of the reason is because he’s managed much bigger setbacks and letdowns than a two- or three-running. So yeah, he’s resilient for sure, and that shows up on the mound.”

After the game, Ragans struggled to describe the payoff for the years of hard work.

“I literally don’t even have words to explain,” he began. “All the people that have stuck with me, believed in me, to finally have this day where all the hard work that I’ve put in over the years has finally paid off and I can officially say I’m a big leaguer. It’s unbelievable … Words, I don’t know if I can put it into words. It’s just— to know that all those days where I was sitting in rehab and I was like, ‘Will I make it?’ Watching guys that I got drafted with — same year with different teams, flying up the minor leagues, healthy, all that kind of stuff.”

He paused.

“I just, it’s awesome. It’s awesome.”

He wasn’t the only one for whom it was a special night.

“It was rewarding,” Comstock says. “Probably more so just because I know what he went through, as opposed to watching another rehabber or anybody else I would watch on television. But yeah, I took the time to tape that game because I wanted to watch it in my man cave. I took that time to really enjoy it.”

Tori, likewise, savored the moment. Hopefully, Ragans has a long big-league journey ahead of him, but it will be built on the perseverance forged over three lost years.

“You just have to embrace and be content with where you’re at, and take a moment to stop trying to rush it,” she says. “Enjoy the process and the journey of it all. People kept saying to us after his second TJ, ‘When you make it, this is gonna be an awesome story.’ And now we’re at that point. He’s living his dream.”
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Blake Walston , LHP, D-Backs: Entering play on July 23 Walston was the owner of a 6.35 ERA for the 2022 season. Since that point the lefthander has turned his year around, making six consecutive strong starts, including last night's six-inning effort. Wednesday night's win improved Walston's record to 4-0 since July 23, as Walston struck out six and allowed six baserunners to reach. Walston has upped his slider usage since mid-July and it's led to improved results.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Ryne Nelson , RHP, D-Backs: Nelson’s major league debut was one to remember. The 24-year-old righthander pitched seven shutout innings with four hits allowed, no walks and seven strikeouts in his first big league start to lead the D-backs to a 7-0 win over the Padres on Monday. After allowing a double to Jurickson Profar to lead off the bottom of the first, Nelson retired his next 17 batters to take a one-hit shutout into the sixth. He needed only 87 pitches to complete seven innings and earn his first big league win.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Ryne Nelson , RHP, D-backs: Nelson pitched six scoreless innings with only two hits allowed, two walks and six strikeouts against the Dodgers in his second career start. He took the no-decision but has yet to allow a run in 13 innings to start his big league career.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Phillies BA Top 10: https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1 ... e=P#339640

6. Hao Yu Lee | 2B/SS
Hao Yu Lee
Born: Feb 3, 2003
Bats: R Throws: R
Ht.: 5'10" Wt.: 190
Signed By: Youngster Wang.
Minors: .284/.386/.438 | 9 HR | 14 SB | 299 AB
VIEW PLAYER CARD
Track Record: Lee signed out of Taiwan for $500,000 in June 2021 and immediately made his pro debut in the Florida Complex League that summer. He impressed team officials with his play in instructional league and became one of the organization's most highly regarded position prospects in 2022 in his full-season debut. Lee, who missed two months with a broken hand, spent the majority of his season at Low-A Clearwater before ending the season with a nine-game stint at High-A Jersey Shore. Lee was named the best batting prospect by league managers in the Low-A Florida State League.

Scouting Report: Lee has a hit-first approach at the plate, showing above-average barrel awareness and impressive bat-to-ball skills. He uses a quick, simple, line-drive swing to all fields with good extension, and he has surprising pop in his 5-foot-10, 190-pound frame. Lee recognizes breaking balls and hits well even when off time, but he still needs to develop quicker bat speed to access more power. He has below-average power now, with an average exit velocity just under 86 mph and a max exit velocity at 106.9 mph, but Lee still has room to add some strength to his frame. The Phillies tested Lee at shortstop, third base and second base in 2022, but his future home is likely at second. He's a good athlete with average speed and showed solid actions on the infield with a fringe-average arm, but improving his defense will be a continued area of focus for Lee.

The Future: Lee has the above-average hit tool and instincts at the plate to profile as a bat-first second baseman, but he'll need to add a tick more power. He'll head back to High-A Jersey Shore in 2023 and could make his upper-minors debut later in the summer.

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 60. Power: 40. Speed: 50. Fielding: 45. Arm: 40.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

From BP:

Emmanuel Rodriguez
Pos
: CF
Born
: 2003-02-28
B
: Left
T
: Left
H
: 5′ 10″
W
: 210 lbs.
History: Signed July 2nd, 2019 out of the Dominican Republic for $2.75 million
Previous Rank
: NR
Major League ETA
: 2025
Year Team Level Age PA R 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG DRC+ BABIP
2021 TWI ROK 18 153 31 5 2 10 23 23 56 9 4 .214 .346 .524 – .279
2022 FTM Lo-A 19 199 35 5 3 9 25 57 52 11 5 .272 .492 .551 – .364
The Report: When a knee injury ended his season in June, Rodriguez was in the midst of a very loud breakout season in Fort Myers. He checks all the boxes for a future top offensive prospect. He knows the zone well, does not expand, and when he sees pitches over the plate, he punishes them.

Rodriguez generates plus-plus bat speed despite a fairly shallow load. It’s a classic rotational lefty swing as imagined by Kenji Fukusaku—the violence feels gratuitous, but is intrinsic to the art. The best way to describe the contact is “wicked hard,” and while there will no doubt be more whiffs further up the ladder given how hard he swings—and he will swing over stuff diving out of the zone—a plus-plus hit, plus-plus power outfielder is in play down the line. Rodriguez is a burner who plays a marauding center field with a bit of extra—but not gratuitous—flair. The normal course of filling out and slowing down in his 20s—plus the knee surgery—might eventually force him to a corner, but he has some speed to give back, and the bat will handle any of the outfield spots. You could even argue he has the highest realistic upside of the top three prospects here given he’s still one significant lower body injury behind Lewis at this point.

OFP: 60 / First-division outfielder
Variance: High. The knee injury that cut off Rodriguez’s season also means there’s a fairly short track record of this level of performance. —Jeffrey Paternostro
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1 ... izational/

3. Emmanuel Rodriguez | OF
Born: Feb 28, 2003
Bats: L Throws: L
Ht.: 5'11" Wt.: 200
Drafted/Signed: Dominican Republic, 2019
Signed By: Manuel Luciano.
Minors: .272/.492/.551 | 9 HR | 11 SB | 136 AB

Track Record: When Rodriguez signed for $2.5 million in 2019 as Minnesota's top signee that year, his combination of power and athleticism was intriguing. Thanks to an excellent work ethic, he has turned into one of the best young hitters in the minor leagues. After struggling to hit breaking balls in his 2021 pro debut, Rodriguez turned a weakness into a strength. He hit .272/.492/.551 in 47 games with Low-A Fort Myers in 2022 before his season ended in early June when he suffered a knee injury that required surgery. Rodriguez's walk rate (28.6%) and on-base percentage (.492) were both best among any full-season minor league hitter with 150 or more plate appearances.

Scouting Report: Rodriguez's combination of power and an elite batting eye gives him a high ceiling as a middle-of-the-order bat. His chase rate ranked among the best in the minors in 2022. At an age when many hitters' approaches are rudimentary, Rodriguez knows the strike zone better than some umpires. He has to learn how to better handle pitchers who can change speeds, which led to some swing-and-miss in the zone in 2022. In addition to having a highly advanced understanding of the strike zone, Rodriguez hits the ball very hard, with average exit velocities above 90 mph. Rodriguez will stay in center field for now, but as an average runner who will likely continue to get bigger, he projects as an above-average defender in a corner outfield spot. He has a plus arm.

The Future: Rodriguez's 2022 season was both revelatory and frustrating. In his two months of action, he showed signs of immense upside that teams dream of developing, but his season ended early and prevented the Twins from testing him at High-A. With a strong 2023 season, Rodriguez could establish himself as one of the top prospects in baseball as an on-base machine with 25-plus home run potential.

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 60. Power: 60. Run: 50. Fielding: 50. Arm: 60
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/los-angeles ... ects-2023/

8. Nick Nastrini, SIRP
Drafted: 4th Round, 2021 from UCLA (LAD)
Age 22.9 Height 6′ 3″ Weight 215 Bat / Thr R / R FV 45+
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command Sits/Tops
60/60 50/60 55/60 40/50 30/40 94-96 / 98
Nastrini dealt with several amateur injuries (including TOS surgery as a freshman at UCLA) and couldn’t get out of the first inning in either of his final two UCLA starts, but he pitched very well in the California Collegiate League just before the 2021 draft and had late helium because his stuff was so good there. By 2021 instructs the secret was out: Nastrini was sitting 95-98 mph with two plus breaking balls and sometimes throwing strikes. The industry eagerly anticipated his 2022 to see if he could hold the huge stuff as a starter and continue to throw a passable number of strikes, and for the most part he did while reaching Double-A Tulsa. Parked in the 93-97 mph range, Nastrini threw his fastball for strikes as a 69% clip, generated a ton of whiffs with both his slider and curveball, and started to incorporate a mid-80s changeup into his mix. He punched out 35% of opposing hitters while walking about 11%, the latter in an area of concern but not so bad that a lack of control will prevent Nastrini from being a big leaguer altogether. He’s already 23 and in the upper levels of the minors, but because Nastrini was only drafted in 2021, the Dodgers have the next two or three years to try to get the strike throwing in a better place before they truly have to consider moving him to the bullpen. If they do, he has late-inning stuff.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

7. Ryne Nelson | RHP
Ryne Nelson
Born: Feb 1, 1998
Ht.: 6'4" Wt.: 190
Drafted/Signed: Oregon, 2019 (2nd round).
Signed By: Dan Ramsay.
Minors: 10-5 | 5.43 ERA | 128 SO | 47 BB | 136 IP
VIEW PLAYER CARD
Track Record: Nelson was a two-way player at Oregon before becoming a full-time pitcher in 2019. An unrefined power arm when the D-backs drafted him, Nelson showed up at instructional league in the fall of 2020 looking far more polished. He followed that with a strong 2021 season. Last year, he grinded through the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, reaching the majors late in 2022 and pitching well before his year ended due to a minor shoulder issue.

Scouting Report: Nelson averaged 93 mph with his fastball at Triple-A Reno, but he sat closer to 95 during his time in the majors. The pitch has excellent life, which allows him to throw it up in the zone. Nelson has total confidence in his fastball, leaning on it in tight situations and using it to overpower hitters even in fastball counts. He throws a firm slider and a slower curveball, both of which have good downward action. The two can alternate between being his best secondary pitch. His changeup, his fourth-best pitch, is inconsistent but flashes plus. Nelson has a clean, repeatable delivery that allows him to throw quality strikes with consistency. He is a good competitor who maintains an even-keeled demeanor. He impressed teammates in the majors with his ability to process information and develop a game plan.

The Future: After his three dazzling starts in the big leagues in September, Nelson is well-positioned to compete for a rotation spot in spring training. Failing that, he could be one of the first reinforcements if help is needed. Still lacking a wipeout secondary pitch, he continues to best profile as a midrotation starter, but his fastball is dominant enough to allow the D-backs to hope he is even more.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60. Curveball: 50. Slider: 55. Changeup: 45. Control: 55
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2. Owen White | RHP
Owen White
Born: Aug 9, 1999
Ht.: 6'3" Wt.: 200
Drafted/Signed: HS--China Grove, N.C., 2018 (2nd round).
Signed By: Jay Heafner.
Minors: 9-2 | 3.59 ERA | 104 SO | 23 BB | 81 IP
VIEW PLAYER CARD
Track Record: Almost since the moment he was drafted, White's development has been stagnated. The Rangers rested him post-draft, he missed the 2019 season with Tommy John surgery and then lost 2020 to the pandemic. His 2021 season was limited to just 35.1 innings by a broken hand suffered during his first start of the season. He made up for lost time by pitching in the Arizona Fall League, where he was named the league's pitcher of the year. The 2022 season was White's fullest yet, but he still missed two months of the second half at Double-A Frisco with fatigue in his pitching arm. White returned for the Texas League playoffs and struck out all six hitters he faced in Frisco's championship-clinching win.

Scouting Report: Despite pitching just 113.2 innings since being drafted in 2018, White has established himself as the clear top arm in Texas' system. He boasts a full four-pitch complement, led by a mid-90s fastball that peaked at 98 mph and grades as plus despite just average shape. White's best offspeed pitch is a mid-80s slider with excellent spin and shape that got chases at rate of nearly 39%. His slider is followed closely by a curveball that averages nearly 3,000 rpms of spin and shows powerful downer break in the high 70s. Though his changeup is the fourth pitch in his arsenal, White throws it for plenty of strikes and scouts believe it could get to an average offering. He also throws a low-90s two-seamer, but it isn't a featured part of his mix. White ties everything together with plus control and a fierce competitive streak that draws raves throughout the organization.

The Future: After closing the year in Double-A, White will likely move to Triple-A Round Rock to begin 2023 and could push for a callup by season's end. He was added to the 40-man roster in November.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 55. Curveball: 55. Slider: 60. Changeup: 50. Control: 60
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... e-top-101/

42. Emmanuel Rodriguez
54. Nick Nastrini
101. Alex Ramirez
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://theathletic.com/4132943/2023/01 ... keith-law/

48. Emmanuel Rodriguez, OF, Minnesota Twins
Bats: Left | Throws: Left
International signing in 2019

Last year’s ranking: Sleeper

The Twins gave Rodriguez $2.75 million to sign him in 2019, then had to wait until 2021 for him to debut, skipping him over the DSL and sending him right to the complex in Fort Myers, where he hit .214/.346/.524, showing big power but in-zone whiffs. Rodriguez went to Low A to start 2022 and showed enormous progress in his approach, hitting breaking stuff far more often and laying off more pitches out of the zone, drawing 57 walks in 47 games and hitting .272/.493/.552 before tearing the meniscus in his right knee on a slide in June. The surgery ended his season, but he still finished seventh in the Florida State League in walks and tied for 20th in homers even though he played in fewer than half of his team’s games before having season-ending surgery. It is huge raw power with an explosive swing, but at the same time, he’s very under control, which is unusual for lots of power hitters — except for some of the elite ones. He’s playing center now but the odds are strong he’ll end up in right. He needs more reps, and if he had a weakness last year, it was against changeups, but he might be a top-10 prospect in baseball by midseason if what we saw last spring holds up.

97. Jake Eder, LHP, Miami Marlins
Drafted: No. 104 in 2020

Last year’s rank: Unranked

Eder was cruising toward a spot on the middle of the top 100 in 2021 when his elbow shrieked; Tommy John surgery that July took him out for all of 2022. He returned in the Marlins’ early camp this offseason to show his previous stuff, working 94-97 mph with an out pitch in his slider, that had him striking out 34 percent of batters he faced in Double A before he blew out. Eder has a great build for a durable starter — yes, I see the irony there — with a delivery he repeats well that should point to future 55 or better command and control, although before the injury he was around average in both. His changeup had really come on since he signed and looked like it had a chance to be an average pitch, although his delivery and slider will probably always give him some platoon split because he dominates lefties — they hit .095/.183/.191 against him in 2021, with a 46 percent strikeout rate in 71 plate appearances. We’ll have to see how his first full year back on the mound goes, but if he can stay healthy for a full-ish season, he’s got No. 2 starter upside and actually might not be that far away from contributing.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://theathletic.com/4005153/2023/01 ... rooks-lee/

3. Emmanuel Rodriguez, CF
Born: 2003 | Bats: Left | Acquired: 2019 IFA

If not for a knee injury in June that ended his season after 47 games, Emmanuel Rodriguez might be sitting atop this list. Making his full-season debut at 19, he hit .272/.493/.553 with eye-popping power and plate discipline for Low-A Fort Myers, blowing away the pitcher-friendly league average by 357 points of OPS. Now fully recovered from surgery, he’s expected to be ready for spring training.

Rodriguez was one of the top prospects in the 2019 international class when he signed with the Twins for $2.5 million as a 16-year-old, but no one anticipated him being this good this soon. In particular, his ultra-patient approach, with 80 walks in 84 career games, is almost unheard of for any teenager, and especially a center fielder with big power, solid bat-to-ball skills and above-average speed.

Rodriguez is a sturdy 5-foot-10 and moving out of center field eventually was a strong possibility even before the knee injury, but he’s got the arm strength and range to thrive in a corner spot. And his middle-of-the-order hitting potential is obvious, as Rodriguez has launched 19 homers and 33 total extra-base hits in just 262 at-bats and rarely expands the zone in search of non-strikes to hit.

Expectations should be held somewhat in check simply because Rodriguez is a 19-year-old with a limited track record and coming off knee surgery, but he has as much upside as anyone in the Twins system and could be a consensus top-25 global prospect this time next year. Or as vice president of hitting development Alex Hassan says of Rodriguez: “He’s a physical beast.”
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://theathletic.com/4140654/2023/02 ... em-ranked/

3. Jake Eder, LHP (No. 97)
Drafted: No. 104 in 2020

Eder was cruising toward a spot in the middle of the top 100 in 2021 when his elbow shrieked; Tommy John surgery that July took him out for all of 2022. He returned in the Marlins’ early camp this offseason to show his previous stuff, working 94-97 mph with an out pitch in his slider, that had him striking out 34 percent of batters he faced in Double A before he blew out. Eder has a great build for a durable starter — yes, I see the irony there — with a delivery he repeats well that should point to future 55 or better command and control, although before the injury he was around average in both. His changeup had really come on since he signed and looked like it had a chance to be an average pitch, although his delivery and slider will probably always give him some platoon split because he dominates lefties — they hit .095/.183/.191 against him in 2021, with a 46 percent strikeout rate in 71 plate appearances. We’ll have to see how his first full year back on the mound goes, but if he can stay healthy for a full-ish season, he’s got No. 2 starter upside and actually might not be that far away from contributing.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... lthy-2023/

Emmanuel Rodriguez, OF, Twins
Rodriguez is one of the most popular picks for a breakout prospect if he can stay healthy. The 19-year-old showed patience and power as part of an array of average or better tools across the board. His hittability, power and throwing arm each project as future pluses. Despite a small sample because of a knee injury, Rodriguez could become a truly elite talent with a return to health.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Matthew Liberatore, LHP, Cardinals — St. Louis' No. 4 prospect started his season strong with five scoreless innings with seven strikeouts against Charlotte. The 23-year-old's fastball ranged from 92-96 mph and topped out at 98 mph. He got 16 swings and misses in 82 pitches, including 10 on his curveball. The high-spin pitch ranged between 73-78 mph.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Mairoshendrick Martinus, SS, Dodgers

Martinus signed out of Curacao in 2022 and put up solid but not spectacular numbers in the Dominican Summer League, where he posted an .803 OPS with seven home runs and 10 stolen bases in 52 games. Like many prospects on the Dodgers’ backfields, Martinus has opened eyes this spring. He’s got big-time bat speed and athleticism and has a chance to stick at shortstop, though he could move over to third base if he gets much bigger. Even if that happens, he’s got both the arm and the power to profile at the corner infield spot. Although his swing has some moving parts, he didn’t show exorbitant amounts of swing-and-miss and displayed impact power to all sectors.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Cristofer Torin, SS, D-backs

Torin signed with Arizona in 2022 out of the Dominican Republic and then torched the DSL with a stat line that featured nearly double the amount of walks (37) as strikeouts (20). This spring, scouts saw a player who looked like he had the potential for gifts on both sides of the ball. Torin’s bat-to-ball skills stood out the most. He used a short, compact swing that produced plenty of contact and a smattering of power. He’s a smaller player at a listed 5-foot-10 but scouts who saw him last year noticed a player who’d spent considerable time in the weight room and was stronger than his listed 155 pounds. It’s not clear whether he’ll stick at shortstop but he looked good at both middle-infield positions and has speed in the 50-55 range.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-41123/

1. Matthew Liberatore, LHP, Cardinals
Team: Triple-A Memphis (International)

Why He’s Here: 2-0, 0.00, 10 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 14 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: The Cardinals No. 4 prospect reminded everyone over his first few starts why he was so highly touted coming out of the draft in 2018. After consecutive underwhelming seasons in 2021 and 2022, Liberatore started his third season at Triple-A with two impressive outings—he went five scoreless while striking out seven in each start. He was up to 97 mph with his fastball and upped his curveball usage, leading to 13 swinging strikes against the pitch across his two starts. Liberatore could be in line for a promotion shortly. (GP)

4. Andrew Abbott, LHP, Reds
Team: Double-A Chattanooga (Southern)
Why He’s Here: 0-0, 0.00, 4.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: After striking out 159 batters in his first full season last year, Abbott got the 2023 season started off with a bang. The 2021 second-round pick struck out the first nine batters he faced in his season-opening start against Rocket City and allowed only one baserunner in 4.2 hitless innings. He struck out 11 of the 15 batters he faced overall—including eight swinging. (KG)
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Matthew Liberatore, LHP, Cardinals: Liberatore’s strong start to the season continued on Wednesday as he struck out 10 batters over a seven-inning effort. The lefthander generated 17 swings and misses in the outing, topping out at 97.5 mph, and he sat 95-96 mph on his four-seam and sinker. He generated nine whiffs against the fastball as well as four whiffs against his curveball.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Andrew Abbott , LHP, Reds: Abbott, a Virginia alum, opened his season with a bang last week, when he struck out 11 in 4.2 no-hit innings. On Thursday, he found a way to up the ante. This time, Abbott punched out 14 hitters in six two-hit innings with no walks on the ledger. If you want a clear way to spell out Abbott's dominance, here it is: He's faced 35 hitters this season and struck out 25.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

2. Andrew Abbott, LHP, Reds
Team: Double-A Chattanooga (Southern)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 1 GS, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, O ER, 0 BB, 14 SO.

The Scoop: Abbott has faced 35 batters so far this season. He’s struck out 25 of them. Javier Valdes and Drew Lugbauer have managed to single off of him, Zach Neto walked, two batters were retired on infield pop ups, one lined out to third baseman Noelvi Marte and the other four have been retired on fly outs to outfielders. Abbott sports a 25-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Last week’s start was his 22nd in the Southern League, and it begs the question of what he has left to prove in Double-A. (JC)
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Andrew Abbott, LHP, Reds: At this point, it is clear that the Southern League is no match for Abbott. The lefthander has made three starts this season and has dominated on all three occasions. He struck out 11 on Wednesday, marking his second 11-punchout effort and third straight start with Ks in the double-digits. Abbott has recorded 47 outs this season. Thirty-six are strikeouts. That's a rate of 76.6% ... as a starter.

Return to “Welcome to the Land”