What the F are you listening to now?

Nate Hunter's new blog.

Moderator: Rockies

Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Twins wrote:Damn man, Royal Blood is pretty awesome. Great pick!
I'm hooked.. and their in "town" up in Boulder next month.. I'm gonna score tickets assuming I can lock down a baby sitter for the kids.

I want to see the 2 piece in action.. can't believe they sound that good for just 2 people. Technology these days.. Here's what I read about em
Royal Blood is a mixture of anguished vocals, ferocious drumming and bass that provides intricate detail as well as a rumble of rhythm. Royal Blood are the result of a lineage that stretches from present day heroes Queens of the Stone Age to the influential Led Zeppelin, and all the way back to early blues pioneers

Yet this wall of sound emerges from just two men: Mike Kerr howls venomous lines such as “I’ve got a gun for a mouth and a bullet with your name on it” as his bass elicits a roar that a blind test would predict is the result of multiple musicians. Meanwhile drummer Ben Thatcher complements his band-mate’s attack with the controlled aggression of a young Dave Grohl. Royal Blood wrap the primal essence of ferocious rock ‘n’ roll power around a surprisingly innate ability to craft deft melodies and soaring hooks.

Kerr is only willing to describe that eureka moment of sonic experimentation as the result of “three amps and a secret code of pedals” played on a collection of £220 small scale bass guitars. He invested in more expensive equipment but found it couldn’t match the brute power of the cheaper alternatives

Royal Blood argue that being a duo forces them to find ever more inventive methods to bring their ideas to life. “We seem to resist every opportunity to do something the easy way and instead come up with a more creative solution,” explains Kerr. “If it gets to a point where we think, how can we progress or can we go even larger, I’d like to think that there’s another creative solution rather than expanding the line-up with additional musicians.”

Kerr and Thatcher first met as teenagers and have been playing music together ever since. Kerr experimented with other instruments before settling on the bass & a unique cocktail of pedal & amps. Thatcher was given a drum kit for his sixth birthday and has remained committed to his instrument ever since. Thatcher, they laugh, is the organised and borderline OCD counterpoint to the chaotic and impulsive Kerr.

Things moved quickly after the duo formed Royal Blood at the start of 2012. Their pulverising debut single ‘Out of the Black’ earned significant national airplay, a feat which was repeated when the b-side ‘Come On Over’ gained further attention. Press acclaim followed likewise, which contributed to Royal Blood being the only rock band to be named in the longlist for the BBC Sound of 2014 poll.

After completing the annual NME tour early in the year, last summer saw Royal Blood’s profile explode on the back of a series of memorable performances at festivals including Reading, Leeds and Download, as well as huge outdoor shows with Arctic Monkeys and The Pixies.

Widely acclaimed as one of the finest rock albums in a long time, the duo’s self-titled debut entered the charts at #1 as the highest charting debut rock album in three years. Still maintaining a strong chart position and fast approaching Platinum status, the album’s domestic success is also translating internationally with another #1 in Ireland, Top 10 positions in Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland and on Billboard’s Top Rock Albums, plus Top 20 placings in numerous countries across Europe. At Spotify, Royal Blood have passed 32 million plays.

Highlights of the remainder of the year included their UK and Ireland tour which sold-out entirely within just two minutes and includes two debut London headline dates; a nomination for the Barclaycard Mercury Prize Album of the Year; and the release of the single ‘Ten Tonne Skeleton’.

Royal Blood are already plotting big things for 2015. Having already confirmed three gargantuan summer stadium shows with Foo Fighters in June as well as their biggest headline tour to date which kicks off next month, their next single ‘Out of the Black’ will impact on February 23rd.

The duo are also in contention for a plethora of major accolades having already collected the iTunes Breakthrough Artist of the Year. They’re confirmed to play at the BRIT Awards at which they’re nominated in the categories of British Album, British Group and British Breakthrough Act. They’ve also been nominated for seven NME Awards, including the major titles of Best British Band, Best Album, Best Live Band and Best New Band.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Avid Dancer is another one I am paying attention to, their new (first) release drops next week if I'm not mistaken, but I like some of the singles they've put out so far.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Hmmm, I'm really liking the sound from Avid Dancer. Color me intrigued.

My turn--I recently got off a Courtney Barnett (so glad to see her breaking out all over SXSW last month) kick and I just came across Faith Healer. Great semi-retro sound, decently incisive lyrics. Worth a listen.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Giving them a whirl Andrew..

Have you heard the latest from Boy & Bear?
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

In the past couple months I've gotten into vinyl quite a bit. Almost everything I have is old country, Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is the only real rock album I have so far. But if you want an awesome folk album that's old, Blue Kentucky Girl by Emmylou Harris is amazing
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

I <3 vinyl Aaron. Bravo.
Rays
Name: Matt Kratky

Post by Rays »

Cardinals wrote:In the past couple months I've gotten into vinyl quite a bit. Almost everything I have is old country, Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is the only real rock album I have so far. But if you want an awesome folk album that's old, Blue Kentucky Girl by Emmylou Harris is amazing
Great album! I haven't listened to Blue Kentucky Girl for awhile. I like vinyl. I have a pretty modest stereo set up with a Dual record player, Scott 325R receiver and a pair of B&W speakers. It used to be possible to get good records and gear cheap at the thrifts, but I don't see many good deals anymore. All of the vintage Panasonic, KLH, Advent, Yamaha gear goes really quickly.

Will definitely check out Nate and Andrew's suggestions too. I put on Son Volt the other day (Trace). Don't know if anyone likes Jay Farrar, but that's a great listen.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Vinyl for me too.

Too lazy to steal music off the internet, and if I'm going to pay money for music, I want something other than a data file or cd with compressed music on it.

Couple recent albums I have on vinyl and really like:
Bleachers - Strange Desire
Imagine Dragons - Smoke + Mirrors

As for my equipment, I have a Technics SL1700 mk2 (same as the SL1200 mk2 but with a suspension for the platter), some Samsung receiver that seems to work well, and some big ass Technics speakers I got from my old roommate my trading him my kitchen table and chairs.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Orioles wrote:Vinyl for me too.

As for my equipment, I have a Technics SL1700 mk2 (same as the SL1200 mk2 but with a suspension for the platter), some Samsung receiver that seems to work well, and some big ass Technics speakers I got from my old roommate my trading him my kitchen table and chairs.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

lol, I'll try to refrain from ruining the moment by posting the picture of the Reds fan giving Adams the finger
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Orioles wrote:lol, I'll try to refrain from ruining the moment by posting the picture of the Reds fan giving Adams the finger
Don't ruin it..

From this

to this

to this

Just like step bros.. lol
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

New Music Tuesday on Spotify.. what are you listening to?

I'm checking out the new Joywave...
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Jaime XX - In Colour

<3

Kid is a genius.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Boxed In - Boxed In. Solid album. Unique sound.

For folks that are about guitar work.. check out Ryley Walker.. a fingerstyle guitarist that is pretty folk/rock/blues.. good shit.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Cool thing I just found on spotify. Friend's Chart..

A chart compiled on what your spotify friends are listening to. Andrew's been listening to some Kaiser Chiefs.. Nice one!

"I predict a riot!"
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Charts? Where might these be?

(and yeah, I love me some Kaiser Chiefs--they're the band that got me into indie rock back in 2005. I haven't seen them live since 2007, but they're coming back to town in a week)
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Twins wrote:Charts? Where might these be?

(and yeah, I love me some Kaiser Chiefs--they're the band that got me into indie rock back in 2005. I haven't seen them live since 2007, but they're coming back to town in a week)
Go to BROWSE, then CHARTS.. and you should see Friends Charts.

Love the Kaiser Chiefs.. Wish I could catch them here in the Mile High.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

New Music Tuesday..

Spotify day is starting out with the new Tame Impala..

edit.. SOB, its just a single.. lame.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

New Best Coast album is.. perhaps.. their best to date IMO.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

How does it compare to their earlier stuff? I heard they were going more electronic.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Orioles wrote:How does it compare to their earlier stuff? I heard they were going more electronic.
Less grungy.. I dont know about more "electronic" per se.. but its a bit toned down. Which.. is a good thing in my mind. I liked the album a lot more than their old stuff.

Beth is still singing about California, of course, but it doesn't just sound like a polished up version of Hole anymore. Its like they have their own identity.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Lonerism was fairly chill. I actually have that album on vinyl. My only complaint is that I wish they sized it down a bit to fit it on 1 record. Instead it's on 2, but I feel like I'm constantly flipping/switching records because there's not enough content on each side.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Newest TV on the Radio - although I've been listening to it for a few months - it really grows on you the more you listen.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Mets wrote:Newest TV on the Radio - although I've been listening to it for a few months - it really grows on you the more you listen.
Yes, quite good. Didn't take that long to grow on me. :)
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Just signed up for a Spotify trial.. 3 months for .99 cents.. woot!

Return to “5280: Mile High Reefer Madness”