Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Rangers 2012 Top Ten Prospects

Post by Rangers »

Top Ten Prospects

1. Jurickson Profar - SS - Jose Reyes' successor

2. Nolan Arenado - 3B - Hanley Ramirez's successor

3. Jorge Soler - OF - We'll see if he signs and what he has in his bag, but he has the potential to become the best outfielder in franchise history (because that's not saying much outside of Matt Holliday's couple of years).

4. Cheslor Cuthbert - 3B - Hoping he battles Arenado as 3BOTF

5. Jean Segura - MI - I'm actually hoping that he settles in at second base and becomes Howie Kendrick with walks and a bit more range.

6. Jonathan Schoop - IF - Alternatively, I'd love for Schoop to wind up at 2B and be a like-styled replacement for Chase Utley.

7. Garin Cecchini - 3B - He looks like a good player to me, but he hasn't even seen full season ball.

8. Alex Colome - RHP - Potential and support staff are there, but he needs dramatic improvement in his command to be a quality starter.

9. Yordano Ventura - RHP - Electric arms on little righties are fun. Guessing he's a closer down the road and kind of ear marking him, Eduardo Sanchez and Miguel De Los Santos as high upside bullpen guys.

10. Ronald Guzman - 1B - I was pretty determined to get this guy in the draft, thanks to a huge frame and sweet lefty bat with BP power at age 17.

Rest of the system: Eduardo Sanchez, Brandon Guyer, Carlos Perez, Rougned Odor, David Perez, Miguel De Los Santos, Jose Vinicio, Zeke DeVoss, Will Lamb, Wilmer Font, Elvis Araujo, Kyle Kubitza, Kellen Sweeney, Nick Mutz, Jack Lopez, Yohander Mendez, Adalberto Mondesi

Strengths

Middle Infield - In Profar, Segura, Schoop, Odor and Vinicio I have to think that we have the best set of middle infield prospects in the league. We certainly have the best set of international ones.

Third Base - In Arenado, Cuthbert and Cecchini I would guess we're at the top there as well.

Weaknesses

Starting Pitching - The biggest problem for the roster right now is the lack of quality starting depth behind Josh Beckett, James Shields and Roy Oswalt, who are all in their 30's now. There are plenty of major league ready guys (Dallas Braden, Alex White, Travis Wood, Brett Cecil) to round out a rotation, but Alexi Ogando and Alex Colome are the only guys in the organization with the apparent potential to pitch in the front side. Yordano Ventura and David Perez could change that but they have it to do.

Outfield - Soler could help this a lot, but until he signs our OF prospects are Tyson Gillies and Brandon Guyer. The big league OF needs upgrades pronto, too.

Catcher - The only catcher in the organization behind Matt Wieters is Carlos Perez.

The system has been rebuilt to its strongest condition since the focus shifted heavily to the major league roster in 2007 (though right after we won the WS we did have an underrated group that included Michael Pineda, Kelvin Herrera, Ogando, Arenado, White, Cuthbert and Profar), but while I feel great positionally the pitching group really lacks standouts.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

I'm going to be getting IMs from JB requesting this guy in a year or two.
Ronald Guzman, OF/1B
DOB: 10/20/94
Height/Weight: 6-5/205
Bats/Throws: L/L
Drafted/Signed: 2011, Dominican Republic
2011 Stats: DNP
Tools Profile: A potentially special bat.

Year in Review: Among the best players on the international market, Guzman was the talk of the instructional leagues.
The Good: Guzman has the potential to be a special hitter. His swing is smooth and tremendously coordinated for a player of his size and inexperience, and his raw power is immense, as the ball just makes a different sound off his bat. He earns raves for his make-up and work ethic.
The Bad: Most of Guzman's value comes from his bat. He's a below-average runner with few defensive skills, and will likely be limited to first base. His swing can get long at times, and could require some patience in his development.
Ephemera: Guzman was born on the same day that Burt Lancaster died, but physics has yet to prove the Dominican is the reincarnated version of the Acadamy Award winning actor.
Perfect World Projection: Guzman is a massive raw talent . . .
Fantasy Impact: . . . with an emphasis on raw.
Path to the Big Leagues: Guzman will not make his pro debut until the short-season leagues begin in June.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Rangers on BA's position lists:

C
21. Carlos Perez, Blue Jays

1B
9. Ronald Guzman, Rangers

2B
2. Jean Segura, Angels
4. Jon Schoop, Orioles
11. Rougned Odor, Rangers
19. Zeke DeVoss, Cubs

SS
1. Jurickson Profar, Rangers
31. Jose Vinicio, Red Sox

3B
3. Nolan Arenado, Rockies
9. Cheslor Cuthbert, Royals
14. Garin Cecchini, Red Sox (2012 breakout)
29. Kellen Sweeney, Blue Jays

COF
19. Brandon Guyer, Rays

RH SP
50. Alex Colome, Rays
63. Garrett Gould, Dodgers
65. Yordano Ventura, Royals

RP
6. Eduardo Sanchez, Cardinals

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”