Franchises moving

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Apparently Ken wants to leave Florida (per Bren) so I think since October is here, we in ExCo need toget this figured out ASAP so we can start getting the GM's into the league and getting acclaimated before the draft.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

I'm not in as much of a rush. We can recruit GM's and do a minidraft without giving them a fixed franchise yet. I'm goign to start going some divisional balance assessment stuff later today.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

We don't need ANOTHER minidraft for two teams.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I agree with BP, no need for a minidraft since both teams are about equal. They're going to have to make a ton of moves including trading off their franchise players anyways, so what would be the point of bringing them in so they could pick which franchise player to trade?
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

It's just that we have minidrafted those two teams TWICE in the last few months ALREADY. And our one new candidate is a guy who we know four things about:

1. he's on a message board with Bren
2. he likes to talk shit
3. he stalked Jake
4. he doesn't know much about the minor leagues

I see no reason to be anxious to get two guys like this in here just so that we can minidraft the same teams for a THIRD time in a few months.

Let's get to work figuring out who's moving where, how about that? We know that one thing is likely (or at least ready to evaluate), Ken moving to Houston, JP moving to Washington. Let's address that and any other movement and take our time finding two good new GMs and worry about whether or not to minidraft AGAIN after all of that.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Totally on the ball with you on all those issues BP.

As for moving, I've opened up to free reign every offseason for all teams...just throwing that out there.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Brett, no offense, but if you don't like the guy I've found, bring in some alternatives. Every ExCo member (hell, every IBC member) should be looking for potential new GM's. We get a bunch, we put them in a pool, talk to them and pick the two we like best.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

That post came from me. I think that I may have hit edit on Bren's post rather than quote. I was trying to quote part of his post. He may have to re-state the first paragraph because I think I deleted it. Sorry.
Last edited by Rangers on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

I'll repeat my stance that you getting solid GMs booted so that we can bring in guys who don't even last a month doesn't make me feel particularly responsible to find more GMs. I keep my eyes open for new members, but you declaring the guys you booted bad doesn't make them bad, and it doesn't fool me into thinking that I'm on the hook to find someone to replace them. I agree, though, that all of us need to do our best to find good guys, for the best of the league. That's the most important aspect of our league...well, maybe other than the OOPSS, heh.

I'd also point out that finding new members is likely to be a bit of a drawn out process, not something we're going to wrap up by Thursday or something. So it seems pretty retarded to actively decide just to ignore everything else, even though we can easily search for new members and settle our other pressing offseason issue, realignment, at the same time.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I don't think we could call either of those guys solid.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Not the guys who just quit, the ones before.

Matt Keating is a good GM. I don't know him personally, but I am in another league with him and have been in another, and he is strong. He had a few months where he didn't do anything and we had a movement to boot him. Ryan Hagan probably isn't as good as Keating in terms of eye for talent, but he's not bad. And Craig (or whatever old Cleveland's name was" was too inactive, but he did a pretty solid job with his team. It was definitely more talented than several others.

Anyway, it's more the state of mind that I have a problem with, that there are unlimited options out there and that whether a guy is a good GM or not, if he's not active for a period of time he needs to be booted. If a guy is weak as a GM, sure inactivity combined with that is good reason to go. But finding guys who are good guys, who know their shit, who have good sense, and who feel like dedicating lots of time to this, isn't terribly easy, and when we have a good GM I think that we ought to be more conservative about booting him. We CAN do worse.

Any of the guys who I spoke with back at the time can confirm that I felt that way, and the rush to throw some guys into the league recently just so that we could get a minidraft going felt wrong to me, as I mentioned. And I'd like to avoid that mentality this time.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Brett, were you paying attention at all to matt or Ryan? I don't think you were or you wouldn't have said any of what you just said.
Ryan and Matt did absolutely nothing from the day they joined. Nothing. No contributions, period. They were names on a list and nothing more. There is no basis for calling them solid, it's an insult to every solid GM in the league. it doesn't matter what they did in another league. Over 3 months, from almost the day they joined, they did nothing in or for the league or their teams.

"finding guys who are good guys, who know their shit, who have good sense, and who feel like dedicating lots of time to this, isn't terribly easy"
Great observation, welcome to my universe for the last 6 years. Hagan and Keating don't qualify for this description though.

I honestly can't believe you're saying they were decent GM's, it's dumbfounding and frankly, disappointing.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

OK all in favor of NEVER Speaking about these two GM's say I. I. And that's all that matters(not really but should.)

This thread is for franchises moving. And who is going to go where. And if we will allow open movement. And if we will realign significantly enough. And if we are going to allow only in division moving. And what moves make the most sense.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “ExCo General”