Thank You TRC

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Thank You TRC

Post by DBacks »

its too boring around here.

Let's check in from time to time on the trade that was vetoed in November.

Let's start with my favorite part. Here's what I said:
We first submitted our trade 3 weeks ago. I heard nothing back. It just disappeared. Dan said it probably got rejected. Since members of the TRC were messaging him during this time, trying to acquire Wilson and explaining why their offers were better.
JP immediately insists that I'm a liar. These allegations are completely false, according to him. This makes sense, as it is logical to believe that JP would be aware of the content of every single conversation that takes place between GMs.

Truth is, I only know what I was told. Dan insists that this happened. The deal sat in limbo while at least one member of the TRC went after Wilson. So either Dan is lying and therefore making me a liar too, or JP just has no idea what he's talking about. I know where I'm leaning.

OH. And as soon as the deal was officially rejected, Wilson was traded....TO A MEMBER OF THE TRC.

Am I still a liar?

Let's look at the deals.

First the one that eventually passed with a member of the TRC.
Reds trades Ryan Ludwick, Wade LeBlanc, Nicholas 9-Franklin, Giants Draft Pick 1 (Mike Olt), to Rangers for Chris 0-Resop, C.J. Wilson, Eric Young Jr.
And mine that was rejected.....
Cubs Pick Rd. 1 (Chris Sale)
Cubs Pick Rd. 3 (Reggie Golden)
Jose Tabata
Jeff Locke
Jordan Walden

for

CJ Wilson
Nate McLouth
Rangers Pick Rd. 4
This makes sense. If I'm on the TRC, looking at this team trying to rebuild by dealing off their best SP, I can definitely see how Ryan Ludwick, a 32 year old "power hitting?" OF who plays in SD, would be more useful than Tabata, the 22 year old rookie and former top 100 prospect who's coming off a solid Freshman compain.

Defintely, definitely makes sense.

Jordan Walen, 23, was just named the Angels closer. He definitely wouldn't help a rebuilding team more than Wade Leblanc, who's back down in AAA waiting for a chance to get back in the big leagues.

And Chris Sale and Reggie Golden certainly wouldn't help a rebuilding team. It's not like Sale has made it to the majors already. (Note: This really isn't fair. Who knows who he would have taken with these picks or if he even would have kept them. I'm making big assumptions mostly because this is fun.)

Also worth noting in my deal that Dan gave up nothing else of significance, while in the deal that passed he also had to deal away Chris Resop. (HUGE. I know.)

Oh well. The past is the past. Obviously, the package I offered SUCKS compared to the one that was passed with a member of the TRC. And it definitely wasn't better than the one used to acquire Carlos Zambrano from the same GM - (Joe Saunders, Gerardo Parra, Jason Motte, Giants Draft Pick 4, Giants Draft Pick 5).

I think the TRC might have done me a favor. I was giving up a lot. I think I'm going to be happier with Tabata, Sale, and Walden going forward than I would be with just CJ Wilson.

My real point is that I'm not a liar, and I don't make shit up, no matter what JP wants to say.

Dan says a member of the TRC wanted Wilson.
JP says I'm a liar, and I guess implies that Dan is a liar too, and that this never happened.

And then....

A member of the TRC trades for Wilson.

Make up your own minds, I guess.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Fight! Fight! Fight!
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

This was the deal that compelled me to attempt to join the TRC. Which was fun until like the 37th tie, and then the Ex-Co just decided to shoot me down without explaining why they didn't choose me for it.

(Gasoline tank in hand, standing outside the fire)
Reds

Post by Reds »

I never spoke to Dan about Wilson until after the trade was rejected, and implying that I did is an unfair attack on my integrity.

I do believe that if you check with members of the league you will find no circumstance where I have acted dishonestly or with a lack of regard towards other members.

Your attacking me in such a way is without basis and quite frankly a bunch of childish BS.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Re: Thank You TRC

Post by Cardinals »

Here we go. I'll take my check from Bud Light.
JP immediately insists that I'm a liar. These allegations are completely false, according to him. This makes sense, as it is logical to believe that JP would be aware of the content of every single conversation that takes place between GMs.

Truth is, I only know what I was told. Dan insists that this happened. The deal sat in limbo while at least one member of the TRC went after Wilson. So either Dan is lying and therefore making me a liar too, or JP just has no idea what he's talking about. I know where I'm leaning.
After I read your defense, I messaged Dan asking who on the TRC had contacted him about Wilson. His reply was nobody. I was told, by Dan himself, that none of Ken, Brett or Jim had attempted to acquire Wilson.

So you're right, it does make sense that I would check to see if these conversations between a member of the TRC and a person involved in a possible vetoed deal were trying to work on a trade while it was in limbo. Is that every conversation? Obviously not, but it's something that I did decide to check on, because it would look really bad if you were right. Fortunately, you weren't.

After the fact, yeah, Ken did trade for Wilson. Do I think that trade should have been vetoed as well? Absolutely. I think it was an awful trade for Houston. Do I think that your offer was better? Yep, I do.

If I were Ken, would I have held off on trading for Wilson in this instance? Probably, but as long as he felt he wasn't doing any wrong, then whatever, fair game. We elected him as a league to the TRC believing he would do the right thing, and there's nothing in Ken's history to suggest that he'd screw the league over to benefit himself. Just because he's on the TRC doesn't mean he can't go after a player in a trade that's been vetoed. And that appears to be what happened - the trade was vetoed, and after he saw the offer (which, must have been considered minimal for it to be rejected) and figured he could top it. Ken's vote alone would not veto the trade, so at least one other member of the TRC would have had to vote it. There was no big conspiracy as you continue to insist. Ken, like any other league member, had just as much of a right to trade for Wilson as anybody else.

One of you, Dan or yourself, isn't necessarily a liar, but got your facts wrong by mistake, and I'm guessing that's Dan. New to the league, probably didn't realize who was on the TRC and who wasn't. That's my guess, at least.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Nationals wrote:This was the deal that compelled me to attempt to join the TRC. Which was fun until like the 37th tie, and then the Ex-Co just decided to shoot me down without explaining why they didn't choose me for it.

We held a vote, just like the league held a vote. Do you need an explanation from every league member as to why they chose Tullar?

My rationale was that there are times where you get really busy and sometimes you can't check the league regularly. That's fine and totally acceptable, but there's plenty of times people ask "why hasn't my trade gone through yet?" I'd prefer that guys on the TRC as full time are generally around, and Tullar is usually around. And, you even told me a few weeks back you weren't going to be around too much this summer, so it seems like we made the right choice.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Reds wrote: I do believe that if you check with members of the league you will find no circumstance where I have acted dishonestly or with a lack of regard towards other members.
See, now I feel bad, and that makes this less fun. Apologies to Ken. Maybe you can try reacting differently? Can't you make fun of how bad my team is or something? That's easier and more fun to argue against than facts.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Pirates wrote:
Nationals wrote:This was the deal that compelled me to attempt to join the TRC. Which was fun until like the 37th tie, and then the Ex-Co just decided to shoot me down without explaining why they didn't choose me for it.

We held a vote, just like the league held a vote. Do you need an explanation from every league member as to why they chose Tullar?

My rationale was that there are times where you get really busy and sometimes you can't check the league regularly. That's fine and totally acceptable, but there's plenty of times people ask "why hasn't my trade gone through yet?" I'd prefer that guys on the TRC as full time are generally around, and Tullar is usually around. And, you even told me a few weeks back you weren't going to be around too much this summer, so it seems like we made the right choice.
Meh, honestly, I don't care. Just saw a good ole-fasioned bitch fest going on here in the IBC, missed those, and felt compelled to jump in on it.

Honestly, I really don't care. Given my schedule this year, I would have been a bad choice as anything but an alternate.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

BITCHFEST! BITCHFEST! BITCHFEST!
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Fuck you Bren. Ah feels like old times
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

I am pretty sure my reply was that ..being new ..I had so many talks and offers that I was unsure of just who I talked to and in what order. My issue being that the deal had not officially been rejected and I was being told it was rejected and that came along with offers. I really didnt know at that time who was who and on the TC or what. I can say I wasnt gonna say a name or what unless I was 100% sure that it was indeed the truth.

I will say that Ken has offered me advice and help on many things within the league. We only talked AFTER all the trade reject(2) He in fact had issues about our deal as to how it may look if we were to come up with a deal. In fact he waited for me to say that Gabe and I were out of ideas that we felt could pass a trade vote

I wish the deal had passed

Return to “The Cub Hub”