Justin Upton

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Justin Upton

Post by Cardinals »

I figure we should look at this now rather than later. I'll remove myself from the vote or decision on this and honestly I can see it going either way. He's headed to James Andrews for a second opinion on his shoulder and here's the latest (and unfortunately last from Under the Knife) from Will Carroll at BP:
The Diamondbacks sent Upton to Dr. James Andrews on Monday... or did Upton request the second opinion? Either way, it looks as if Upton's 2010 is done. Dr. Andrews found a small labrum tear, but that surgery is not necessary yet. The lax shoulder is similar to what his brother B.J. had after the 2008 campaign and is a good guide. The older Upton might be something of a disappointment to Rays partisans, but after the surgery, Upton was essentially back to level six to eight months after surgery. Over a year out now, his stats and scouting reports at bat and in the field look substantially similar to what he was doing before the surgery. That's success, but many only remember Upton going insane during the 2008 postseason and had the expectation that the hot streak was him finally finding the next level. It wasn't, he didn't, but that doesn't make the surgery less of a success. Some have tried to say that the surgery reduced B.J.'s power, but I don't see the evidence for that. The timeline for recovery means a decision needs to be made soon. With Kevin Towers coming in as general manager, expect this to be one of the first things he'll weigh in on.
The thing that is most damning to me is that he's had just seven at bats in September.

But who knows how things would be if AZ were in it. Still, I figure it's an issue we should tackle now rather than later (ala Josh Hamilton last year in the LDS) and if you do decide to bench him then Jag should have an opportunity to present a case.

I'm obviously okay with any decision - to keep him in or to bench him - but the fact that he's had just 7 at bats this month makes me bring it up and I'd rather discuss it now rather than in the LDS, or if Jag beats me than the LCS or WS.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

It's never good when you're going to see Dr. Andrews. As you said, 7 at bats is a very small amount. So I'd lean towards benching him. If he'd had a couple dozen abs I'd say let him play, it's obvious he can play, but it don't even look like he's pinch hitting
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Yeah, considering he last played on the 14th and he's going for further diagnosis, I don't think he should play.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

My attitude is to be lax on unclear cases, so I would vote that he can play.

I really hate this process of us having to guess on injuries that we know so little about. I have a feeling that if someone went back and reviewed, they'd inevitably find lots of inconsistencies.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Justin Upton returned to action on Saturday October 2.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... LB&id=1310
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Can the guy swing a bat? I mean hell a man with no arms can pinch run. Fact is he hasn't swung a bat since September 14, sure seems to me like he can't play
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

WhiteSox wrote:Justin Upton returned to action on Saturday October 2.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... LB&id=1310
Caveat: as a pinch runner.

Rotoworld: Upton has been shut down, basically, because of shoulder soreness and won't register another at-bat this season.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

If he plays at all in the field, I'd say that he is eligible, IBC-wise. If he only pinch runs, it seems that he is not healthy enough to either field or hit.

Return to “ExCo General”