New GM's

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

New GM's

Post by Cardinals »

Figured I'd make a new thread for this. Anyway, the guy from the fantasy league that I mentioned in the other thread is interested in joining. He seems to have a pretty fair grasp on the minor leagues which is a big thing for me for a team that will likely need rebuilding either way, if he's LAA or Tex. Granted, fantasy is different from sim, but it's a good start that he's already vested into the minor leagues.

I figure he's worth a shot, especially with nobody else around. Plus, being new to sim baseball will maybe have him try harder and this would be his only sim league, so I'm betting he'd be fairly dedicated to this. Any thoughts or objections? I can also ask him questions and post answers here if anybody wants to know more about him or whatever.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

I've never considered lack of sim experience to be an inhibiting factor. You either know baseball or you don't. If you think he'd be good, by all means, bring him in.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

From what you told me about him, I like the sound of him.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Sounds like a plan.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Alright, I sent him a link for the software and will talk to him some more later tonight.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I've got a guy, JP has facebook messaged him about joining and he seems interested. He's one of the kids I have in class a lot subbing and he's a huge baseball fan
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Is this some kind of conflict of interest? Will we see you on the news complaining about getting fired because of your simulation baseball league?
Astros

Post by Astros »

Only a conflict of interest if I send him to the office for not giving me good deals
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Alright. I showed Stephen, the guy from my fantasy league, around the website and sent him the software and gave him a basic idea of how it works. He definitely wants in and would rather take the Angels since he wants the worse team. Definitely wants to rebuild and would be open to moving to a tougher division in the offseason as well. I warned him in advance there's no guarantee he'd remain Anaheim past this season and he had no problems with that. I think he's going to be a pretty good addition to the league, pretty much exactly what we need for that roster.

I'll get him setup with everything either tonight or tomorrow and make an announcement once everything is ready to go.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

Alright I've been told there needs to be more info on my guy. His name is Tim Holt and the guy is a sports junkie. He loves the Cubs, which is unfortunate but the kid knows baseball. He has a ton of energy and I think he would be a solid addition to the team when he got his sea legs. I know some of you may say, oh a high school kid? Well I'd say 1/3 of the league was high school kids when we started off so that means nothing. If there's anything you want asked of him let me know and me or JP will ask him
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

What grade is he in?
Astros

Post by Astros »

He's a junior, well he'll be a junior once school is done in 3 weeks
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Levine asked one of his friends if he'd be interested, and apparently he is. I've played fantasy leagues with him and he is usually among the better teams, think he won last year or finished second or something. I haven't spoken with him yet, but Jake says he follows the minors fairly well and seems to want to try this out. He recently graduated from Syracuse as well for what that's worth. Anyway, I haven't talked to him yet but I'll try to get in touch with him tonight to get a feel for him and I'll post some of what he says here so you guys can form an opinion as well.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

It's been a week and nobody's heard anything from Jake's guy I assume. I had Tim in class today and the first thing he asked me about was the league and if we were going to let him in. I gave him an overview of everything, explained everything to him, he wants in. He has a ton of energy, he's smart, he loves baseball, he'd be a great addition to the league. I'll have him every day in class through Monday, so I can get him DMB and he can get started and I can walk him through any questions he may have on a daily basis
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Not sure if any of you are familiar with Scott Gessford, I believe he's in the BCMBL, asked me if the IBC had any openings. I told him we have one and were weighing our options on who to bring in and he wanted his hat thrown into the ring. So this is me throwing his hat into the ring.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I received a random IM yesterday from somebody from the Diamond Mind forums who learned about the IBC through the active league directory, since I registered the IBC for that last year or so. At first I thought it was a ruse, somebody like Jake or somebody else pulling my leg, but I searched his name and it turns out he is indeed his own human being. Anyway, this is what he said.

parkbench@mac.com: I'm someone who has been reading the rules and looing for a new sim league.
parkbench@mac.com: I couldn't find info on applying.
parkbench@mac.com: but saw your AOL ikon in the forums active.
parkbench@mac.com: thought I'd give it a shot.
parkbench@mac.com: well about a year ago I checked it out after I saw a mention in the DMB forums.
parkbench@mac.com: bookmarked the site and have checked back over time.
parkbench@mac.com: then I was just going over the Fans of DMB league list.
parkbench@mac.com: there are so few current year, 30 team leagues.
parkbench@mac.com: I've been in 2 DMB leagues over the past 3 years. 1 league has ended. the other I'm still in, but... its not active enough for me. I've been playing Fantasy / Roto for 10 years. I'm a board member of the OTHL sim hockey league. I don't own DMB as I've been waiting for V10. my name is Jason Bersani, I live in Maine, email parkbench@mac.com

So it seems like we've got Aaron's guy, Gessford and this guy to choose from so far.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

At this point, I'm inclined towards Aaron's guy--he seems to want to be in and we have a personal connection here. Yes, the lack of SIM experience is a little worrisome, but I don't think it should be anything to disqualify him.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I'll support bringing in Aaron's guy just because he seems to be really invested in bringing him in. I'll say that if/when we do bring him in, Aaron will have to keep him under his wing a bit longer than normal given his age and lack of experience. I'm sure Aaron is ok with that, but, we need to make sure that we probably stiffen the TRC standards with Texas too, not anything ridiculous but just to make sure he's protected more than most. He's got a good bit of pitching there and he'll be a marked man coming into the league.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

So are we bringing in Tim? This is the last week of school, I can get him the sim and he can ask me questions face to face
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Talking to Shawn via IM, he's ok with it so it looks like we'll go ahead and bring him in. Have him contact me and we'll get him set up with everything.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Pirates wrote:Talking to Shawn via IM, he's ok with it so it looks like we'll go ahead and bring him in. Have him contact me and we'll get him set up with everything.
Good ...
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Well. I think it's time to pull the plug on the Texas experiment. Aaron said he'd have a lot of energy and really wanted to be in the league, but he hasn't even logged into anything in over two and a half weeks and the only lineup he sent in he had Eric Byrnes and McLouth (retired, DL) activated after I carefully explained the rules to him.

We need a guy who is going to actually take care of the team and revamp it since it's one of the most shallow in the whole league, and Tim just doesn't seem to care or want to do anything at all.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

Yeah my bad guys, I really thought he'd be good. I know I'd made a mistake when it took me and JP both 45 minutes to explain how to open DMB to him. He's gone
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Having talked with Shawn and Brett who agreed with Aaron and I, I went ahead and sent Tim a message letting him know the news. I'll contact Jake's friend and that other guy who asked about the league about the opening.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “ExCo General”