CWS Roster

Moderator: Executive Committee

Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I strongly disagree with you there Shawn. Its been nice the past couple years having everyone stay put and not having to keep track of who is where. There's no more vultures jumping from division to division each year because they think they have an easier road to the playoffs.

As for the can of worms you mentioned BP, I've been thinking, and weren't there multiple open teams when Jake joined the league? He chose the NLC at that time to he'd be going up against JP and Matt LeRoy. I think he was in the same minidraft as Ryan Hagan, the Pitt GM before JP. Kelly might've been in that one too, or Craig might've still been the GM in Cleveland then. So, Jake has actually had an opportunity to choose his team, and he picked a team in the NL Central when he had that chance. That should really only leave the Colorado opening for Kelly or Jason then shouldn't it?
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Dodgers wrote:I'm open, but I do think that if we're going to start allowing team movement all over the place (and this becomes a 5 or 6 team chain), we might as well just repeal the "no movement" rule and give everyone the chance to relocate.
I think it's been established that we don't want to do that. So the question is whether what we've said about the guys who haven't had a chance to relocate yet is consistent with what's been said in the past. If not, I'm just a little concerned about extra degree of difficulty for our recruiting effort.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Also re: Recruiting effort, Nate and Jag have both suggested GM's to me. Nate's has no experience in DMB baseball, so that's almost an instant no to me. Jag's is some guy from the WIBL and IYFBL, and from my dealings with him, I've come away unimpressed.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Yeah I'm wary of both of those candidates. Kelly was Jagger's last recruit, and he gave him the highest of recommendations. Kelly is probably the weakest GM in the league right now.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I've told Brett this and I think JP, but I would very much like to pull in a candidate who isn't in the normal circle of leagues that most IBC GMs have a foot in. While this may prove difficult, we really do need some fresh blood in the league who doesn't already have relationships with some of the guys in the league.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I agree with this. I think the DMB Forums is a good place to look for somebody like that. Somebody who obviously is familiar with the software, but yet doesn't know anybody here.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Pirates wrote:I agree with this. I think the DMB Forums is a good place to look for somebody like that. Somebody who obviously is familiar with the software, but yet doesn't know anybody here.
Getting someone from the DMB boards with no references raises the possibility of getting new, good blood, but also makes the complete bust/flameout ratio go way up. At the very least, though, it makes sense to pursue that and see what we can come up with, especially since there were no immediate apparent slam dunk candidates. Again, our website is our selling point, especially if we can give them a dummy account that can see all of its features. Also, the fact that the league will be in like its eighth year as a healthy league should be pointed out.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

so from my understanding right now, Brett, Shawn and I seem to support Jake in allowing him to move to Colorado. Aaron is against it. Where do you guys stand, Jim and Andrew? We should try to get this all taken care of sooner rather than later, so that that when we are recruiting GM's they know the situation they are headed into.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Under most circumstances, since, Jake has not demonstrated a long-hidden love for the Colorado franchise, I'd be against the division-switching. However, due to historical considerations of the fact that Colorado has been the black hole of IBC GMs (we've had, what, a dozen different GMs out there?), the league might be best-served by moving a GM who is in it for the long run to this sinkhole which in turn opens up a more attractive location that could possibly retain a GM more easily than Coors Field.
Astros

Post by Astros »

I'm fine with him moving now, because I was remembering some events wrong. And as Andrew has said, it would be good for the league to get a GM in it for the long haul in Coors
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I think that should sew up the moving. I talked to Jason today, hypothetically speaking, because he never had a say in where he was put, right into the AL East. He said he'd be fine staying in Baltimore, but if he could have Milwaukee, he'd take it.

The only problem I have with him moving, is you're killing the newbie with Degen's roster in the AL East. They're playing for second place and the wild card immediately. Now while I think I'm winning the next 5 titles, I might only be a wild card team, and somebody could win the NLC. The ALE, JB is going to win it barring injuries. Of course, as Chris Berman says, that's why they play the games. If you guys want to offer Milwaukee to Jason - or even Shawn Lape (intradivision move) because he didn't have a say either, that's fine with me. I really don't care at this point. I'd just like this process to go speedy, get the teams moved so the new divisions can go to work, and we can have everybody actively seeking a GM.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

I think it is only fair that we formally offer Jason the chance to move but that's up to you guys
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

I guess it depends on whether the key distinction we're making is that we want someone stable in Colorado for the benefit of the league as a whole or we want to allow everyone one chance to move. I tend to think we might be best served leaving it at the former, but I think either is at least explainable as to why we'd allow those moves but not just a free-for-all. If we do allow Jason or Shawn to move to Milwaukee we'd better get pretty specific with restrictions moving forward after that.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I don't really think Gudim would be crushed staying in Baltimore, which he said he was fine there. I'm inclined to agree with Brett on this on the whole. What do the rest of you think?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

I think my preference is to keep Jason in Baltimore. Jim and John's moves both align with our previous restrictions regarding team movement and we can rationalize moving Jake on the basis that we've never been able to get long term GMs out of Colorado. But we can't really rationalize moving Jason for either of those reasons, and really ALE and NLC aren't that far apart, they both have very strong teams in them already.
Astros

Post by Astros »

If you think it would open up a free for all, then just let Jake move and we can be done with it, especially since Jason told JP yesterday he don't mind staying in Baltimore
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Cardinals wrote:If you think it would open up a free for all, then just let Jake move and we can be done with it, especially since Jason told JP yesterday he don't mind staying in Baltimore
I agree ...
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

OK well it looks like five of us agree here, so we should probably announce the moves, and encourage everybody to assist in finding a new Milwaukee GM.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Agree, how does tomorrow afternoon sound for switching the logins?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Sounds perfect to me.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Sounds like a plan
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Not sure if Gabe sent this to everyone, but he sent me this PM on his recommendation for a new GM and asked me to pass it along:

John Boyer, johnpboyer@gmail.com

He's in another league with me. He's also in another DMB league. He's got plenty of experience and he's one of those prospect lovers you guys love lol. Anyway, you guys should at least talk to him if you haven't filled the spot yet. He definitely knows his stuff, and already owns the sim and everything so he's all set.
Astros

Post by Astros »

Dave talked to Kegan about coming back. If he has the time, he's a solid GM, but I don't think Kegan's big in the prospect game, so he might not be the best candidate to take over Degan's roster, that's going to take a couple years to rebuild. I think we should tab Kegan as our fallback plan at this point, and if there's no better candidate we could bring him back, since he's familiar with the league and knows how everything works
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

A bunch of the local yokels are clamoring for Kegan, and while he's a good kid and I'm not particularly against him coming back, I'm not sure I see it working out either. He was never big prospect guy, but then again, neither were a lot of us.

My main concern wouldn't even be that, it would just be his activity level to go along with where he would be as a GM right now after having a few years off.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals

Post by Nationals »

Also, what happens if/when his girlfriend puts time restraints on him again (or whatever it was that decreased his activity)?

Return to “ExCo General”