IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 1 - Interview with JB, prior to 2003

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 1 - Interview with JB, prior to 2003

Post by DBacks »

I can't believe this shit. An interview with JB from before the 2003 season... So let me take you back - JB had just missed the 2002 playoffs, losing the wildcard by a single game. In this interview, JB says the most vital player on his team is "Greg Maddux." Does anyone believe there was a time when JB's best player was Greg Maddux? This is also filled with some classic IBC references, such as Kbel the GM and the infamous carryover players. Enjoy!

He's sitting on three of the best veteran starters in the game, a lineup filled with talent, and a franchise that came within one game of the playoffs. Maverick just makes it look easy.
JB has been with the IBC since it's beginning, and although this season ended in disappointment, 2003 looks like his year. His rotation is so powerful, future ace Josh Beckett looks to be his fourth starter next season, and his bullpen contains two of the top closers in the game in Izzy and Everyday Eddie. Can he dethrone Boston in 2003? Read below to find out!

Gabe: Ok, first question. Looking back on the season, now that you're not in the playoffs...Is there anything you would have done differently?
Maverick: Nope. I can't complain really complain about the season I had. The deals I made are going to help me for next year and my team ended the season with a great record. After all I only missed getting the Wild Card by a game. I had Maddux and Johnson going the last two games of the season but just couldn't get one win to force a playoff. Anaheim ended the season on a tear and that deserves some credit too. So overall I feel this season was a great success, a little disappointing, but I like the team I have and I still feel I am a contender for next year.
G: You've got a lot of big names on your team. If you could only pick one guy, who would you say has been the most vital to your success this season?
Mav: It would have to be Greg Maddux. He pitched great for me all year and was someone that I've had since the draft. He was a true ace for me and I wouldn't want anyone else on the mound in a big game. A lot of the other big names on my team did well too, but I either acquired them at the deadline or they didn't produce to the standards I would have expected. That being said I look to Maddux, Johnson, and Soriano to have huge years for me next year.
G: So which Blue Jay is going to have his statistics carried over?
Mav: I'm still in the deciding process, but it looks like it is going to be Jeffery Hammonds. His 100 RBI's in the SIM this year would be hard to live without next season. I am also considering carrying over Ruben Sierra's stats since they are good in the SIM, but he is a better hitter in real life than Hammonds and is capable of putting up comparable numbers to his SIM totals next season without the carryover.
G: Who are your picks for the end of the season awards?
Mav: In the AL the choices are pretty clear cut in my opinion. For MVP I would have to say Barry Bonds. Some might argue that he wasn't on a playoff team, but his numbers were just too good for him not to deserve the award. As for CY Young, Pedro Martinez takes it in a runaway as well as Nick Johnson for AL ROY. In the NL it isn't as obvious. However, I am going to have to go with Giambi over Thome for MVP in a close call, plus Schilling bringing home the CY Young and David Kelton winning the ROY.
G: Fair enough. Let's talk about next season. A lot of divisions are acquiring new GMs and new teams, but the AL East is staying the same. Does this increase or decrease your chances for success next year?
Mav: The AL East is still going to be a tough division with the road still going through Beantown. That being said anything less than a second place finish in the AL East or another missed opportunity at the postseason and I will look at the season as a failure. I believe my team will be too good next year not to make the postseason, and with Oakland leaving the AL it will hopefully make my mission a little easier.
G: With all the teams moving, what's going to be the toughest division next year?
Mav: I'm not totally sure. From the looks I might have to say the NL Central. The Pirates have a great team as do the Big Red Machine. St. Louis is also a solid team and I think Houston could be surprising next year.
G: With big teams like Oakland and the Cubs heading to the NL West, which division looks to be the weakest next year?
Mav: I'm going to have to go with the AL West on this one. Next year this division is probably going to be the Angels to lose, as I don't see another real threat coming from this division.
G: The GMs in the playoffs get a lot of credit for being good. Can you think of any GMs out there doing good jobs with their teams, whose record may not show it?
Mav: Sure. I think the Reds have a great team and it is only a matter of time until they make some noise. I think the Astros have turned their team around from when they were first acquired. Arod and Thome in the middle of his lineup are scary. And although many other GMs don't want to hear it I think the Indians can be decent if they make some moves too. Colon and Halladay is a nice 1-2 combo.
G: I'm sitting here looking over the Blue Jay roster, and it's tough to find any weaknesses. As the Gm of the team, what do you feel is the team's greatest weakness, if there is one?
Mav: There are some weaknesses, but if everyone knew them they would take advantage of them. That being said the bullpen is an area that needs to be addressed in the off-season. Isringhausen makes for a solid closer and Guardado a solid setup guy, but after that it gets a little thin. I would also like to acquire a better fifth starter so I don't have to use a 4-man rotation.
G: If the 2003 season started today, what team would have the best chance of winning the 2003 WS?
Mav: I don't even know who is gonna win the World Series this year, never mind next year. I think the same teams that will end up coming close this year have just as good of a shot next year. However, if some teams can make moves to help them be better off next season, I don't see why they can't have a shot at taking home the trophy next year.
G: What teams look like they're headed for the gutter next season?
Mav: Trying to get me in trouble with other GMs I see. Well I am not going to be specific, but teams that lack pitching are going to have a hard time getting anywhere. We have all learned that pitching is thin in the IBC and in order to have a good team you have to have good pitching.
G: We're all about controversy here. Come on, there's not any GM in the league you want to take this opportunity to badmouth?
Mav: All right you roped me into it. Minnesota is one team I don't see leaving the cellar anytime soon. My advice to you draft pitching. And those Yankees as much as I love your franchise you got another thing coming if you think you are dethroning the top of the AL East.
G: Yeah! That's what we like to hear. I'm lacking a segway here so I'll just jump to the next question that's come to mind, are there any rules or processes in the IBC you feel should be changed?
Mav: I think that injuries towards the end of the season have to be addressed in a better manner. With Ishii and Gonzalez going down at the end of the year to serious injuries and still being allowed to play for contending teams is somewhat unfair simply because they were not placed on the DL. Other than that I feel that everything is run pretty smoothly while some people need to do a better job monitoring their DLed players during the season.
G: What do you think of the salary cap idea Kbel and others have brought up?
Mav: I think it is a good idea. Although with all my high priced players I definitely think I would like it less and less if it decided to be implemented. The upside to a salary cap would be balance and it would make the league more competitive, which I think is a good thing. However, there are some downsides. Trading would be a lot harder than it already is since you would not be able to take on more salary than you dump. It is also a lot of work and there would be controversy deciding who is worth what. So if there is a good proposal out there I would listen, but I don't know if I would vote for it.
G: All right we'll close this out. What's the best trade you did this year?
Mav: The best deal I made would probably be the acquisition of Moyer, Crede, and Sosa. Although I don't have Crede (unfortunately) or Sosa anymore, they have helped me get other important people on my team.
G: Well it's been a pleasure interviewing you. Any final comments?
Mav: Good Luck to the ChiSox in the playoffs!

A couple of interesting things from the interview -

1) The AL East vs NL Central debate was happening even before the 2003 season. It seems these two divisions have always been the powerhouses of the IBC.

2) The issue of September injuries was still being debated five years ago.

3) He said he didn't expect to see Minnesota get out of the cellar anytime soon. It was 2007 when the Twins made it to the October Classic.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Ah yes...he was somewhat prescient on that call-out. Though whenever I drafted pitching it failed.

Return to “The Cub Hub”