The Economy Sucks

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

The Economy Sucks

Post by DBacks »

...but it's okay, because the Cubs are in the playoffs.

Everyone knows by now that I have been a very vocal supporter of Barack Obama for a long time now, but I have to say that today, both he and John McCain look pretty stupid.

John McCain especially.

He's on TV this morning implying that he was a leader in getting a deal done, only a deal didn't get done. And, after showing such confidence only to have it fail, the market responded with a disaster or a day.

Make no mistake, I still think Obama is the man to lead this country, but as of right now, while they're both still Senators on equal footing, someone needs to step up.

McCain saying that "he's suspending his campaign" to go help work on a deal that isn't going to get done isn't considered stepping up by the easiest of definitions. He can't lead his party right now. He can't lead anyone.

Both of these guys need to step forward, immediately, and say "This is what we do..." And they give their plan. Their idea. Whether its the same bill we had today or a modified version of it, they need to step up and with 150% support say that this is the answer. LEAD.

Someone can win this election right now, they're just both afraid to do it. It's a sad, sad thing.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I think the rage at Wall Street and the desire for retribution is going to cost us huge in the long run. When a job on Wall Street gets lost it translates into 1.5 jobs lost on Main Street, I think the random CNN commentator I was listening to said it best, if there's a fire first you have to put the fire out and then you worry about who started it. To me the person who looks the worst coming out of this is Nancy Pelosi, a full 1/3 of the party of which she is supposed to be the leader voted against her on this one. In the British Parliament that sort of thing costs you your job. The defeat of this bill betrays both the profound lack of basic economic knowledge and the dangerous desire to look backwards rather than forwards for answers not just among voters but among their representatives in the government.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

What retribution? Oh, right, oversight and regulation for the crooks who are gambling other people's money on the stock exchange then take primo bonuses when their companies fail.

If McCain is some big leader, than why did more than 2/3 of his party vote against a deal he was crowing about being so instrumental in getting done?

Return to “The Cub Hub”