2023 Draft

Moderator: Executive Committee

Marlins
Name: Nils

2023 Draft

Post by Marlins »

Anyone have any issue starting up the draft thread now? Draft doesn't officially begin until the 15th, but I think top end won't care who keeps signing in the coming week. My thought for this is just to get interesting going sooner heading into the draft. We'd just have to make it clear that while people can start making picks now, no one is obligated to and time doesn't start on any pick until the 15th.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Re: 2023 Draft

Post by Cardinals »

Fine with me if people want to go this route.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Marlins wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:56 am Anyone have any issue starting up the draft thread now? Draft doesn't officially begin until the 15th, but I think top end won't care who keeps signing in the coming week. My thought for this is just to get interesting going sooner heading into the draft. We'd just have to make it clear that while people can start making picks now, no one is obligated to and time doesn't start on any pick until the 15th.
Works for me ...
Reds

Post by Reds »

Fine by me
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Thought for next year:

I know the guys who love to trade are really feeling this ability to go after picks as guys are on the clock. I can understand that, and I tried to do it with Nate last round. I think I'm in the minority on this but I do not like the draft rolling into late March and April. I think there's way too much risk of late round picks being more valuable than early ones, and it being just straight out unfair to be on the clock while minor league games are being played. We have looked at various options for just shortening the time on the clock in the past, but not decided to do that.

So, a thought - how about a four or six hour time limit (excluding something like Midnight-6:00 AM ET) on trading your pick while you are on the clock? We are trending hard into guys who like to have picks and like to wheel and deal having the vast majority of the picks, and there is no reason that you can't start negotiations while someone's pick is coming up if you really want to do a trade.

I also know it's somewhat toothless because people can still trade behind the scenes, but my proposal on that would be that if you don't submit the trade by that deadline, you cannot execute the trade until after the picks are converted to players, whenever that is, so you have to sit on all involved players and theoretical drops until then.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Other than the one (quickly fixed) issue, I don't think the draft pick trading thing has been a problem. I like the ability to reach out to an owner if there's a guy who i didn't think would drop is there and try to deal without sitting on assets for another few weeks until the draft ends. I think we've also been a lot more active as a league and this is a big reason why. We even got trades out of two of our deadbeat California teams!
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I think if we move the start date up to 2/1, it solves a lot of problems. We need to go and audit the last few years and see if anybody noteworthy signed 2/1-2/14, but it would end any conversation about having later picks become more valuable and still allow the league to trade with a full clock.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Reds

Post by Reds »

Cardinals wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:52 pm I think if we move the start date up to 2/1, it solves a lot of problems. We need to go and audit the last few years and see if anybody noteworthy signed 2/1-2/14, but it would end any conversation about having later picks become more valuable and still allow the league to trade with a full clock.
An earlier start makes sense. I don’t believe there have been any relevant signings between 2/1 and 2/15.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

I'm good with both a 2/1 start and also with Brett's idea of a 4 to 6 hr limit which shuts off at night.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

I'm good as well with moving forward to 2/1 as a first measure.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

2/1 is fine with me.

Return to “ExCo General”