Down on the Farm - 2024

Brandon Brown's Blog

Moderator: Braves

Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Re: Down on the Farm - 2024

Post by Braves »

Also from MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/enrique-bradfi ... ining-2024

SARASOTA, Fla. -- When Enrique Bradfield Jr. arrived at Ed Smith Stadium on Monday, he wasn’t expecting to play nearly a full nine-inning game. But plans can quickly change.

With Cedric Mullins exiting the Orioles’ Grapefruit League loss to the Twins with right hamstring discomfort, Bradfield entered as a pinch-runner with one out in the bottom of the first inning. Baltimore’s No. 6 prospect (per MLB Pipeline) went on to play the remainder of the exhibition contest, spending six innings in left field and the final two in center.

“Just got to be ready whenever your name is called,” said the 22-year-old Bradfield, who was selected by the Orioles with the No. 17 overall pick in the 2023 MLB Draft.

It wasn’t the first time this spring that Bradfield has come over from Minor League camp (located at nearby Twin Lakes Park) to serve as an extra player for Baltimore in Grapefruit League action. Through 12 games, Bradfield has already made five appearances. He could also get an opportunity to play in the Spring Breakout showcase game on March 14 vs. the Pirates at 7:05 p.m. ET.

So far, Bradfield is 1-for-9, with his lone hit coming on Feb. 25, when he legged out a seventh-inning infield single against Pirates left-hander Cam Alldred.

That day, Bradfield showed off his 70-grade defense and his 80-grade speed (both tops in the Orioles’ farm system). He stole second base after his hit, then made a nice running catch onto the warning track to retire Pittsburgh’s Jack Brannigan for the first out of the bottom of the ninth.

“He’s played some great defense,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “He’s made two or three really nice running catches, so he’s showcased his speed in the outfield. Heard that he was a plus defender, and he’s shown that so far.”

How about that speed?

“He can run,” Hyde said with a grin.

The stats don’t really matter at this point for Bradfield. The former Vanderbilt University outfielder didn’t receive an invite to big league camp, but even if he had, he wouldn’t have been a candidate for the big leagues after playing only 25 career games in the Minors -- three in the Rookie-level Florida Complex League, 17 for Single-A Delmarva and five for High-A Aberdeen.

In the sporadic opportunities Bradfield gets to visit big league camp, he’s making the most of it.

“I think it’s very valuable. There’s always something to take away and learn from,” Bradfield said. “I’m getting great experience around a group of great guys. They’ve been out here years, so they definitely know what they’re doing. To be able to prepare with them, just kind of pick their brains every chance I get, and get in there and see what it’s like to play in there for myself, it’s a great experience.

“Every day I get a chance to come over here, I’m grateful. I want to take advantage of just learning, because it’s going to come in handy one day.”

Among the outfielders whom Bradfield said he’s had multiple conversations with are Austin Hays (a six-year big league veteran), Colton Cowser (the No. 19 overall prospect in baseball) and Heston Kjerstad (the No. 32 overall prospect). Bradfield also got an opportunity to chat with former Orioles star Adam Jones, who has been in camp this week as a guest instructor.

Bradfield is in a great position to gain knowledge and then apply it during his first full year of professional ball. He’s planning to do so throughout his climb up the Minor League ranks, which he’s confident will eventually lead to him becoming a big leaguer.

“There’s no doubt in my mind I’m going to get to that level,” Bradfield said. “I don’t know how long it’s going to take, but I’m not really worried about that. I’m going to take every day for what it is, I’m going to work, put my head down and just try and get better. That’s all I can do. I can’t control anything else.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... ackfields/

Mitch Bratt, LHP, 20 (unranked) is, despite his young age, likely to spend 2024 in Double-A, and may have been a miss on our Rangers list. Despite having been in the system since 2021, this was my first live look at the Canadian lefty and Bratt was intriguing. His fastball was not explosive but should play above its low-90s velocity due to good ride, strong command, and what appears to be above-average extension in his delivery. He features the three typical offspeed offerings—slider, curveball, changeup, although he did not throw any of the latter in my viewing. The slider was the better of the two breaking balls, a nice two-plane piece that was best when thrown to his glove-side. His bender presented as average and should be a good get-me-over and mix-up offering against right-handed batters and more of a weapon against lefties. Pretty simple equation here—toss into a blender a lefty arm with three offerings, inclusive of his fastball, in the 50-55 range, strong pitchability, and a history of above-average control/command and you’ll typically pour out a no. 4 starter in a big-league rotation.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -breakout/

Enrique Bradfield Jr., OF, Orioles — Bradfield is the only player in the 2024 Baseball America Prospect Handbook with a pair of 80-grade tools, one apiece for his speed and defense. Those gifts alone give an easy floor of a backup big leaguer. He makes a ton of contact as well, and he’s now a part of a player development system that has spun gold out of nearly every prospect it’s touched over the last few years. He could easily find himself atop a lineup in Baltimore in a few years that includes Gunnar Henderson, Jackson Holliday and Adley Rutschman at its core.

Tsung-Che Cheng, SS, Pirates — In a system dominated by pitching, Cheng ranks as one of the more intriguing offensive players. He’s a twitchy athlete who fits nicely at shortstop and slash and dash his way to offensive value with hints of power along the way. He got a hint of time at Double-A to end 2023 and should return there to begin this season. With a strong season, he could make his big league debut by year’s end.

Tyler Locklear, 1B, Mariners — Locklear fits firmly in the phylum of Dudes Who Rake. The Virginia Commonwealth alum can crush fastballs with ease and swatted 13 home runs in a 2023 season spent between High-A Everett and Double-A Arkansas. He added three more longballs in a strong Arizona Fall League campaign. Locklear’s profile is power over hit but with a strong turn in the upper levels in 2024 he could get to Seattle by year’s end.
Braves

Post by Braves »

Also from BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -breakout/

Ramon Ramirez, C, Royals — Ramirez was outstanding in the Dominican Summer League, so much so that he was one of a select few players Kansas City brought stateside for its fall instructional league program. He’s got an adjustable swing that helps him find the barrel with outstanding frequency. He makes loud contact that helps him put balls out to all sectors of the park. Ramirez has plenty of polish to apply defensively, but if he replicates his output from 2023 he will rise quickly up the Royals and overall ranks.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From The Athletic's Spring Training Standouts: https://theathletic.com/5325304/2024/03 ... standouts/

Chicago Cubs — Owen Caissie, OF
Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 6-3 Weight: 190

Caissie was the prospect headliner in the Yu Darvish trade in December 2020 after being the Padres’ second-round pick in 2020 out of Notre Dame High in Burlington, Ontario. Last year at Double A, he slashed .289/.399/.519 with 31 doubles, 22 home runs, 84 RBIs and 77 runs. He’s having an impressive spring training with the Cubs, going 10-for-23 so far with scouts across the league raving about him. He’ll probably start the season in Triple A and force his way to the majors later this year. He’s a special talent.

Carter Hawkins, GM: “Caissie impacts the baseball like someone 10 years older. He has a chance to be a power bat in an outfield corner in the near future for our Cubs.”

Kansas City Royals — Kyle Isbel, OF Not a prospect anymore, but the list is not prospect-specific
Bats: L Throws: R
Height: 5-11 Weight: 190

This will be Isbel’s fourth season in the majors with the Royals and the front office is hoping for a breakout. Last year, he played 91 games and slashed .240/.282/.380 with 22 doubles, five home runs and 34 RBIs. Some scouts believe Isbel can be a player who hits 15 to 18 homers and steals 20 bases. Could this be the year?

J.J. Picollo, GM: “Kyle came into camp in fantastic shape. He’s more athletic and looser in all of his movements. He’s running well and his swing looks great. The ball is coming off his bat and he’s using all fields extremely well.”

Houston Astros — Kenedy Corona, OF
Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 5-10 Weight: 184

Corona played at High A and Double A last year, slashing .251/.331/.458 with 21 doubles, 22 home runs, 65 RBIs and 32 stolen bases in 42 attempts. He also played in the Arizona Fall League and held his own in a handful of games. His power and defense are both above average, but is he a good enough hitter to succeed in the big leagues? If he makes the right adjustments in the first part of the year, he might make it to the majors at some point this season.

Dana Brown, GM: “Corona is very intriguing. It’s most likely plus defense with a plus arm and good bat-to-ball (skills) and power upside because there is natural strength. He was added to the 40-man this offseason and might burst on the scene by the beginning of summer.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/kansas-city-ro ... e-coverage

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- There is a prevailing thought these days that developing young catchers might be the toughest thing a team can do. The high school catching segment of every Draft population is often considered to be as risky a pool to wade in as high school pitching.

The Kansas City Royals don’t seem to mind jumping into those waters at all.

They dipped their toes in at first in 2021, staying in their own backyard by taking Carter Jensen in the third round of the Draft and using some of the savings from taking Frank Mozzicato No. 7 overall to sign him for an over-slot bonus of $1.1 million, keeping him from heading to Louisiana State. Most of his numbers don’t jump off the page, but the one that might really stand out is 20. That’s how old the organization’s No. 11 prospect is after spending the 2023 season with Quad Cities.

“You have to remind people, this player is entering his third season,” Royals farm director Mitch Maier said. “He’s in Major League camp. He has a year of High-A under his belt and he’s not even 21 years old yet. He’d be a junior in college this year.”

And he’s the grizzled veteran of the group. Blake Mitchell was the club’s first pick in last year’s Draft, taken No. 8 overall, and he’s currently the top prospect in the system and it’s lone Top 100 representative. He’ll play most of the 2024 season as a 19-year old and has really impressed with his defensive abilities and has a ton of offensive ceiling as well.

“Blake is so advanced behind the plate,” Maier said. “You don’t see that at such a young age. As he continues to adjust offensively, he has a ton of power. Those talents are hard to find.”

No. 15 prospect Ramon Ramirez doesn’t turn 19 until June and after signing (for just $57,500) at the start of the 2023 international signing period, he’ll be making his United States debut this season after a very impressive debut in the Dominican Summer League (.344/.440/.615). He also has a plus arm behind the plate and the chance to really hit.

What’s even better is that this dynamic duo of teenage backstops have already formed a bond that started last fall.

“They’re really close,” Maier said. “Ramon came over this fall and was in our instructional league with Blake. Just seeing the interactions with them here throughout the spring. They’re pushing each other. They both know they’re extremely talented and they’re going to push each other to be better as they move through the system.

“They’re phenomenal talents. Those two being able to move up as young players and develop their talent ... there’s a reason why Ramon performed the way he did last year and Blake was selected where he was, it’s because they are extremely talented and gifted players.”

Add in Jensen and it’s looking very good for the Royals behind the plate. All-Star Salvador Perez has at least two years left on his contract (the team holds an option for 2026), so the timing might be right for the baton to be passed to one of these young backstops.

“Those three, you look at how they’ll be staggered throughout our system this season, we’re in a good spot with the catching depth with those young talented individuals,” Maier said. “We’re excited to develop them and see what they can do in a few years.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/braxton-ashcra ... g-training

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Sunday was not exactly Braxton Ashcraft’s day. He started his inning by surrendering a couple of ground-ball singles before a Termarr Johnson two-out error brought them home, meaning he had to take the loss in a 9-7 Pirates defeat to the Phillies at LECOM Park.

Consider that a road bump in what has been a very impressive spring, one where he has come to establish himself as one of the Pirates’ best young pitching prospects. MLB Pipeline has ranked him the No. 7 prospect in the system, and he’s justified that ranking early. He’s flashed great stuff and those two unearned runs have been the only blemishes in his fourth inning of work.

This past year has been a bit of a coming out party for the 2018 second-round pick. It’s not often a player makes their first Major League Spring Training in their seventh pro season, especially for the team that drafted them.

“The biggest thing is I’m healthy,” Ashcraft said. “That’s something I’ve never had.”

He’s not lying. In 2019, he dislocated his non-throwing shoulder. In 2020, he went under the knife again to repair his knee. The following year, it was Tommy John surgery, which would sideline him for all of 2022. HIs recovery kept him out of competitive action until last year. It was his sixth season as a professional, and he had only pitched in 26 games.

He spent plenty of time at Pirate City rehabbing over those years, where he got to work extensively with Minor League Pattern and Throwing Coordinator Vic Black, who helped him dive into how his body should be moving.

“You’ve got community here,” Ashcraft said. “You’ve got teammates, you’ve got coaches, you’ve got training staff. You’ve got everybody who’s working around one goal, which is to get everybody to the big leagues. Having that support, not only from the organization, but family and friends, I don’t think anybody can do this job without that.”

When he did get back on the mound, his fastball consistently registered in the upper-90s, his breaking ball spin ramped up to the 2,500 RPM range and he posted by far the best results of his young career. Over 52 ⅔ innings between Single-A Bradenton, High-A Greensboro and Double-A Altoona, Ashcraft recorded a 2.39 ERA and 63 strikeouts compared to just 11 walks. The Pirates were convinced and added him to the roster this winter to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft.

This spring has been his first extended period of time around the Major League staff, and the stuff has impressed. For manager Derek Shelton, though, his drive to get to this point is just as impressive.

“He has the ability to keep his mindset moving forward,” Shelton said. “When you go through adversity or you’re not as highly touted as other people, it’s like, ‘Alright, I’m gonna go out and perform.’ I think we’ve seen that. We’ve seen the things that he’s shown in Major League camp in terms of what the velocity is, how he’s gone after people. I would think it would be more of a testament that he’s never let anything get him off the path of being a big league pitcher.”

For a while, Ashcraft’s Major League future didn’t look very bright. Now the question is if he will be a starter or a reliever. All 19 of outings in 2023 were starts, but they totaled only a few innings each time.

It was expected that his workload was going to be heavily monitored given what his previous few years had been like, but were those short outings a sign of things to come or just workload management? The decision hasn’t been made yet about which role they will proceed with moving forward.

“The fact that he can pitch multiple innings is very important for us,” Shelton said. “As we get later into camp or the [M]inor [L]eague season, we make a decision if he’s not on our club in terms of what the best role for him might be. But right now we’re treating him as a multi-inning guy in the Major Leagues.”

Ashcraft says he still has a starter mentality, but he’s willing to do whatever it takes to get to the Majors. After the journey he had, who can fault him for having that goal, especially when he is so close.

“It’s been a struggle, but I think all the work, all the grind to get here, it’s starting to pay off,” Ashcraft said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/chicago-cubs-s ... e-coverage

Camp standout: Owen Caissie

Caissie might have as much raw power as just about any prospect in the game currently. And in 2023, he started getting to it more consistently, hitting 22 homers and 31 doubles with Double-A Tennessee while turning just 21 years old midseason. His .519 slugging percentage seems like just the beginning, and though some might be concerned with his 31.1 percent strikeout rate last year, he offset it with a robust 14.4 percent walk rate.

It's a mistake to read too much into Spring Training stats, but in his first longer look in front of the big league staff, the outfielder slashed .440/.517/.680 with four extra-base hits in his first 12 games. Even if you don’t want to seem like you’re playing favorites, it’s hard not to be impressed.

“I don't think any of us can ignore what he is doing in big league camp,” Kanzler said “He's definitely opening some eyes. We're all very excited for what he's doing; it’s very promising.

“It seems like he has a little bit better ability to stay on the ball, so he’s using the whole field a little bit more and he’s not as exposed to certain pitch types. The quality of work and reports that we're getting from the Major League staff has been really good to hear.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-spring-bre ... e-coverage

Royals: Ramon Ramirez, C (No. 15)
After debuting in the Dominican Summer League last year, Ramirez has arrived stateside to continue to put on a show at the plate. The 18-year-old backstop clubbed nine doubles and eight home runs in 41 games, with his power playing everywhere in the DSL.

D-backs: Landon Sims, RHP (No. 23)
Sims threw only 24 2/3 innings last season after coming off Tommy John surgery, but he showed up to Spring Training stronger. The righty enters Spring Breakout with a 60-grade pitch tandem of his fastball and slider.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From KLaw: https://theathletic.com/5335070/2024/03 ... 24-season/

1. Kyle Harrison, LHP, San Francisco Giants
Is Harrison the only rookie pitcher with a firm grip on a rotation job right now? I think he is, a credit to his talent and perhaps a vague comment on the state of the Giants’ pitching. Harrison kept the walks down in his brief major-league time last year, but I’m a little more bearish on his control in the near term after he threw just 58 percent of his pitches for strikes in Triple A (with the automatic ball-strike system (ABS) in many of those games). I think big-league hitters are going to force him to adjust and throw more strikes over time, but it may take a turn or two around the league for that to happen. That said, I think he’ll strike out 200+ if he makes close to 30 starts.

16. Masyn Winn, SS, St. Louis Cardinals
Winn’s value in 2024 may come more with his arm and his legs than with his bat, but I expect him to be a positive defender who at least puts the ball in play and maybe hits an empty .260 or so, enough to steal 20-30 bases, too. He should be the Cardinals’ primary shortstop this year, and given how quickly he’s adapted to better pitching each time he’s moved up the ladder, I won’t be surprised if he’s close to a league-average hitter in the second half, even if the first half is a rough go for him at the plate.

19. Matt Shaw, IF, Chicago Cubs
The Cubs are going with Christopher Morel at third base to start the season, and, well, good luck with that, I guess. Shaw was their first-round pick in last year’s draft as a shortstop at the University of Maryland, then played short, second, and third between Low A and Double A, hitting well at both stops. He’s going to start the year in the minors, likely Double A, but if Morel struggles on defense and his extremely high strikeout rates — only five qualifying players struck out more often than Morel’s 31 percent last year — catch up to him, Shaw will have a clear path to playing time.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-to-w ... e-coverage

Brewers: Jeferson Quero, C (No. 3/MLB No. 35)
Quero received raves from the Milwaukee Major League staff this spring for his arm and overall defensive work behind the plate, and if not for William Contreras’ spot, there’s a chance the 21-year-old could have opened the season in the Majors. Instead, he heads to Nashville as arguably the top defensive catcher in the Minors, and he’ll bring some thump to the Sounds as well. Barring a Contreras injury, Quero doesn’t need to be rushed in his first trip to Triple-A, allowing for him to be even more well-rounded by the time he reaches The Show.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From FG's Sunday Notes: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-note ... -his-game/

Enrique Bradfield Jr. has good wheels, and he can also hit a bit. Drafted 17th overall last year by the Baltimore Orioles out of Vanderbilt University, the 22-year-old outfielder not only slashed .311/.426/.447 over three collegiate seasons, his table-setter batting style translated smoothly to pro ball. In 110 plate appearances versus A-ball pitching, Bradfield batted .291 with a Bonds-esque .473 OBP.

The chances of Bradfield’s ever being comped to Barry Bonds are basically nonexistent. At 6-foot-1 and 170 pounds, the erstwhile Commodore is, in the words of our prospect co-analysts Eric Longenhagen and Tess Taruskin, “a contact-oriented speedster who will also play plus defense.” Power isn’t a meaningful part of his game. Bradfield went deep just 15 times at Vandy, and not at all after inking a contract with the O’s.

He doesn’t expect that to change. When I asked him during spring training if he’s ever tried to tap into more power, Bradfield said that has never been a focus, adding that he’d “be going in the wrong direction if it was.” That seems a shrewd self-assessment. A line-drive hitter who swings from the left side, Bradfield will ultimately reach Baltimore by continuing to propel balls from foul pole to foul pole.

“I know the type of player that I am, and the player that I want to be over the long-term,” Bradfield told me. “That’s the most important piece, finding what works best for me and not just doing something it because it might look good, or might look like it’s going to work. I’ve never shied away from trying new things — I’m always looking for ways to get better — but I also know that I need to be true to who I am.”

That includes his aforementioned speed — Bradfield is an 80 runner who swiped 25 bases last year in 25 professional games — centerfield defense, and plus contact skills. Moreover, he augments his bat-to-ball acumen with a good eye. Bradfield drew 26 free passes and fanned just 16 times in his extended pro cameo.

His approach at the plate is a combination of old school and new school. While he values game-planning, he also feels that “sometimes you just have be a see-ball-hit-ball type of hitter.” As for his approach to metrics, that leans heavily old school. Bradfield has never been one to look at data such as exit velocities and swing rates, preferring instead to “let the people whose job it is to look at that.” By doing so, he can allow himself to “keep things as simple as possible.”

Hearing that, I reminded Bradfield that he went to Vanderbilt. He shouldn’t need things dumbed down.

“No,” replied Bradfield, who is expected to begin his first full season with the Aberdeen IronBirds. “But sometimes it works better that way.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/top-10-power-h ... e-coverage

4. Owen Caissie, OF (CHC No. 3/MLB No. 45)
Power grade: 65
Though he's just 21, Caissie already generates exit velocities that rank with the best in the Majors and his raw power earns top-of-the-scale grades from some evaluators. Acquired from the Padres in the 2020 trade for Yu Darvish, he ranked in the top five in all three slash categories (.289/.398/.519) and homers (22) in the Double-A Southern League as its sixth-youngest regular last summer.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ackfields/

Brody Hopkins, RHP, Mariners
When it comes to the best systems for pitching development, the Mariners are somewhere near the top. Their next gem might be Hopkins, a low-slot slinging righthander whom Seattle selected out of Winthrop in the sixth round of the most recent draft. Hopkins was a two-way player in college but the Mariners selected him as a pitcher and, if the early returns are any indication, are about to reap the benefits. Evaluators this spring saw a pitcher with a funky, athletic delivery that allowed him to deal lively fastballs in the 94-98 mph range in addition to sweepy slider and a changeup. His heater and breaker have a chance to be plus pitches, while his changeup could be average.

Brady House, 3B, Nationals
Along with Dylan Crews and James Wood, House is part of a talented trio of prospects that forms the upper crust of the Nationals system. After injuries muted his performance in 2022, he bounced back in a big way in 2023 and finished the year with a dozen home runs over 88 games across three levels. Now that he’s moved off of shortstop, scouts see a player with the potential to be an above-average or plus defender at third base. His offensive game will easily profile at the corner thanks to long levers and a loose, easy swing that produces enough bat speed to get to pitches up in the zone.

Byron Chourio, OF, Twins
Chourio was one of the prospects the Twins got back from the Marlins in the deal that sent Luis Arraez to Miami and brought Pablo Lopez to Minnesota. The outfielder was a young, up-arrow lottery ticket at the time, and this spring has started scratching at the surface of his potential. Scouts in the Fort Myers saw a player with above-average defense and speed that could keep in center field depending on the way his body layers on muscle as he ages. At the plate, he’s got the bat-to-ball skills and impact to project as a potentially plus hitter with roughly average power that could tick up as his body takes shape.

Oswaldo Osorio, 2B/3B, Dodgers
The Dodgers always have a parade of tooled-up teenagers spread across their spring, and Osorio was one of the players who most stood out this spring. The nearly 19-year-old infielder was signed out of Venezuela in 2022 and has put up solid numbers in Dominican Summer and Arizona Complex leagues in each of the past two seasons. He’s not going to flash any particularly standout tool, but he has the defensive chops to play at both second or third base and could handle shortstop in a pinch as well. The lefty swinger has a polished approach, a physical frame and a stroke that keeps the barrel in the zone a long time. As a result, scouts see a player who could produce average and power that each grade as roughly 50 or 55 on the 20-to-80 scouting scale.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/mitchell-parke ... ague-debut

LOS ANGELES -- It’s hard to imagine a taller task for a first Major League start than what Mitchell Parker was given on Monday night. Called up to pitch in place of the injured Josiah Gray, Parker was charged with taking on the Dodgers -- and on Jackie Robinson Day at Dodger Stadium, no less.

Parker responded by throwing five innings of two-run ball in the Nationals’ 6-4 win, striking out four and walking none.

It was the first win by a Nationals rookie starting pitcher in his debut since Stephen Strasburg on June 8, 2010.

“I think we're moving further away from it sinking in,” said Parker. “[I’m] taking a minute by minute. We're working on it. But it's starting to get there.”

Stepping on the mound for the bottom of the first, Parker -- the Nationals’ No. 21 prospect, per MLB Pipeline -- was greeted by a run of three MVPs, starting with Mookie Betts. He immediately challenged Betts with a four-seamer over the heart of the plate, a called strike. After a couple of curveballs, Parker got Betts swinging on a fastball up in the zone for his first career strikeout.

In the stands was a cheering section of Parker’s family and friends, including his parents, Tom and Wendy, and his fiancée, Hayleigh Patterson. Television cameras caught a visibly emotional reaction from Wendy after Betts went down swinging.

“It’s the verification of a lifetime journey,” Wendy said of her son, a fifth-round Draft pick by the Nationals in 2020. “[It’s] justification that he belongs here. That it's not a fluke.”

The elation was temporarily put on hold when Parker allowed his first hit -- a Shohei Ohtani single -- and his first run, which came in on a Freddie Freeman double and Will Smith’s sac fly. Parker gave up another run the next inning on a double and a pair of flyouts.

But from there, he settled into a groove, highlighted by a particularly impressive bottom of the third. Facing Betts, Ohtani and Freeman for a second time, the left-hander retired the side, getting Ohtani swinging on a 2-2 curve in between lineouts from Betts and Freeman -- a pivotal moment for Parker as well as his family.

“Speechless,” Patterson said.

“Speechless,” Wendy concurred. “No words.”

Parker worked around a leadoff single in the fourth and pitched a perfect fifth inning, punctuated by another strikeout of Betts to bring his night to a close. Of his 81 pitches, 52 went for strikes.

He relied mostly on his four-seamer/curveball combination, though in the later frames he started sprinkling in his splitter, a pitch he hopes to continue honing in the future.

“After the first inning, he seemed like he kind of settled down, and by the fourth inning, he was like, ‘Hey, let's go,’” said manager Dave Martinez. “... Then we went up to him in the fifth inning just to see how he was. He wanted to go back out, which says a lot. But you have to be smart. He was at 80 pitches. I thought that was plenty. He gave us five good innings.”

It was an exciting end to a whirlwind couple of days for Parker, who first found out he was getting the callup from Triple-A Rochester manager Matthew LeCroy on Saturday afternoon in Buffalo. By Sunday afternoon, he’d joined the Nats in Oakland, while his family scrambled to make travel plans -- though, of course, they wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

“This is what he's been working for the entire time I've known him,” said Patterson.

“Twenty years, we’ve waited for this,” added Wendy.

But this is also just the start for Parker. Added to the Nats’ 40-man roster in November to protect him from the Rule 5 Draft and coming off a strong Spring Training, he was a natural fit to take Gray’s place in the rotation. And with Gray (right elbow/forearm flexor strain) out for likely a couple more weeks, there could well be more opportunities for Parker at the Major League level right away.

For now, though, Parker will appreciate getting a successful debut out of the way.

“It was a really good lineup, and all those guys are very, very good,” said Parker. “So the whole game is going to probably stick with me for a very long time.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... ugar-land/

Matt Shaw, INF, Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 2-3, 2 HR, BB, SB.
Pitchers have already accurately assessed Shaw to be an extreme threat to their wellbeing and their ERAs, however Shaw’s walk rate might manage to rise even further beyond 20% after Sunday. The muscle-bound third baseman has an astronomical 1.457 OPS now through the first week of the season.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Statcast Standouts: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -april-15/

Owen Caissie, CF, Cubs
In terms of Statcast metrics such as exit velos and launch angles, Caissie’s early-season performance is arguably more impressive than Wood’s. Let’s take a look at a couple of charts:

Red bubbles suggest players are generating launch angles geared for home run power, green bubbles indicate players who may be wasting their exit velos by hammering balls into the ground. Larger bubbles indicate a player who is young for the level.

Caissie is showing a tick more swing and miss and slightly less raw power than Wood, but he’s doing that while producing an almost ideal 17 degree launch angle, which may help him tap into more of his raw power than Wood. While this hasn’t yet translated into home runs this season, we wouldn’t be surprised to see the surface level results swing upwards soon. The strikeouts remain a concern, but he’s also walking at a decent clip, making him a classic “three true outcomes” type of hitter.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-tyler- ... e-coverage

Tyler Black loves playing in Triple-A Nashville. So when he had the chance of ending Sunday's game and sending the Sounds faithful home with a victory, MLB's No. 42 prospect risked it all to record the final out.

With two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, Omaha’s Cam Devanney swung at the first offering from Sounds lefty Rob Zastryzny. The ball trailed toward the right-field foul line but Black never lost sight of it. He initially raced to the right, but adjusted his position while warding off the blazing Nashville sun. Finally, he went for a dive, just narrowly missing a collision with right fielder Brewer Hickland.

As the Brewers' No. 4 prospect got back to his feet with the ball in his glove to cap the Sounds' 7-3 win over Omaha, second baseman Yonny Hernández raised his arms in celebration and the fans at First Horizon Park gave Black a standing ovation.

“Nashville is one of the better affiliates,” he said. “We get big crowds all the time. They really care about the team and everything, so playing for them has been cool. They love us.”

But Black didn't only stand out on defense Sunday. The 23-year-old notched second four-RBI game of the week. In the third inning, Black followed Chavez Young’s massive homer with a 387-foot drive off righty Jonah Dipoto's sinker. The ball rocketed off the bat at a 106 mph exit velocity -- his second dinger of the season.

“I haven't really hit too many back-to-back home runs in my life,” Black said. “I was just going up to the plate trying to stay within my approach and plan. I got a good pitch to hit and put the barrel on it. It just happened to be that it happened off the cusp of a home run, so that was really special to be part of.”

Black also demonstrated patience later in the game. Facing a 0-2 count against lefty Jake Brentz in the seventh with bases loaded, he worked a walk on four consecutive balls to bring in a run. In the bottom of the eighth, he added two more RBIs to the tally with a single to center field.

Sporting a robust .282/.414/.493 slash line with a .902 OPS, the Wright State product credits his progress at the plate to the Sounds' hitting coaches and insights gained during his stint at Major League Spring Training, where he gained insight from players like Christian Yelich.

“Any time you are thrown into the fire like that is great,” Black said. “I was around a lot of ... great players that I have learned a lot from. It gave me some confidence.”

As the Brewers enter a new era under manager Pat Murphy, there has been an influx of heralded prospects. Sal Frelick made his Major League debut last year and Jackson Chourio, MLB’s No. 2 prospect, signed an eight-year, $82 million contract in the offseason and has become a fixture in the Brewers lineup.

Black looks forward to reuniting in the Majors with those teammates he's already developed a strong bond with and it's motivating him to continue to improve.

“A lot of us are really close,” he said. “You're definitely rooting for the guy next to you. They definitely had a taste of it last year and just picking their brains on how it was in their rookie year. It’s been really cool to see people you know succeed and it’s exciting to potentially be part of that.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

Also from MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/mitchell-parke ... e-coverage

WASHINGTON -- Mitchell Parker had set the stage with his MLB debut, earning his first career win against the Dodgers -- who boast one of the most star-studded lineups in the Majors. He was asked once more to face a star-studded lineup for his home debut -- and the second start of his career -- against the Astros on Sunday afternoon.

“I’m just trying to think about it as little as I can before and take it one pitch at a time and not put too much pressure [on myself],” the 24-year-old said.

His mindset before games has worked thus far. Parker and the bullpen held the Astros in check, and the offense did the rest, figuring out how to get the bats going early in a 6-0 win over Houston at Nationals Park.

Parker, Washington's No. 21 prospect per MLB Pipeline, blanked Houston for seven innings, allowing only three hits and no walks while striking out eight to earn his second career win. He dealt 73 pitches, 57 of which were strikes. He ended his day with a 1.50 career ERA in 12 innings.

The rookie joins Shota Imanaga, Tanner Bibee, Johnny Cueto and Andy Sonnanstine as the fifth starter in AL/NL history (since 1901) to strike out at least 12 hitters and not issue a walk in the first two games of his career.

“He just pounded the zone,” said Astros outfielder Chas McCormick of Parker. “He was working fast. He has a good fastball, and he knows how to throw his offspeed for strikes. Early on, he was showing a lot of offspeed that got us a little out in front. He just knew where to throw his splitter, and when he needed to throw his fastball, he threw his fastball up and did a really good job.”

Parker got to work quickly in the first inning. He struck out the first two batters he faced -- Jose Altuve and Yordan Alvarez. He dealt to Kyle Tucker, who weakly grounded out to give him a 1-2-3 inning.

The southpaw provided the foundation for the Nats’ offense to find success in its run game and get on the board first with a 3-0 lead in the first inning.

“We see how fast he is working and what he’s doing,” Nationals manager Dave Martinez said. “They want to score for any starter, but to be able to tack on those runs early like that, it eases the starting pitcher, and I definitely think it eased Mitchell today.”

Knowing the standard he set at the beginning of the game, Parker cruised through the next six innings, remaining efficient with his pitches and trusting the defense to make plays behind him.

“He’s had an incredible start, and playing behind him, he’s thrown a lot of good innings,” said Luis García Jr. in Spanish. “We feel comfortable playing behind him, and we feel like good things will happen.”

Washington’s offense continued to back up Parker’s performance, with Joey Meneses grounding an RBI single to right field, scoring Jacob Young and Abrams to extend the lead to 5-0 in the fifth inning. Nick Senzel sealed the deal in the bottom of the sixth, hitting his first home run of the season on a 2-2 pitch to bring the score to 6-0, which held up for Washington’s first home series win of the year.

The Astros were unable to find an answer to Parker’s repertoire -- consisting of his curveball/fastball combination and a splitter.

“He threw some really good split fingers,” Astros manager Joe Espada said. “The change of speeds. He had a pretty good angle. We just couldn’t get anything done.”

Parker became the first player in franchise history to throw seven or more scoreless innings on fewer than 75 pitches (since pitches were first tracked in 1988), and he is the first MLB player to do so since the Braves’ Kyle Wright, who accomplished the feat in 2022.

The Nats’ fifth-round pick in the 2020 MLB Draft was called up to take Josiah Gray’s spot in the rotation on April 13. Gray had sustained a right elbow/forearm flexor strain, shutting him down for a few weeks.

Going forward, Martinez said, the plan is to continue to build up Parker, as the club may need him to go eight or nine innings in the future. In the meantime, Parker will keep working on settling his nerves before games, regardless of the lineups he will face in the future.

“Just keep going for the next one, that’s all we’re aiming for,” he said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet (4/23/24): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... t-4-23-24/

13. Tyler Black, 1B, Brewers
Team: Triple-A Nashville (International)

Why He’s Here: .304/.360/.739 (7-for-23), 5 R, 2 3B, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Not many minor league hitters reach base more often than Black. He carries a .414 on-base percentage through four pro seasons, and he has an exemplary 11-to-12 walk-to-strikeout ratio through 19 Triple-A games this season. Black has played second base and center field in the past but is strictly a corner infielder this season, with all but one start coming at first base or DH.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... g-hitters/

Pitcher of the Day:
Mitch Bratt, LHP, Texas Rangers (High-A Hickory): 6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 8 K.
Bratt threw much better Wednesday night than he did when I had my live look in Greensboro last week. Or, perhaps more likely, his stuff simply worked better. Bratt is a strong, broad-shouldered dude, but the stuff is firmly in the “crafty lefty” category. The fastball gets into the low 90s but not much further, and he’ll also toss a few decent secondaries from a funky arm slot. Grant Schiller caught him back in spring training.

Return to “The Brave Blue Ballers”