State of the IBC: 2023 Minidraft, Relocation & More

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

State of the IBC: 2023 Minidraft, Relocation & More

Post by Cardinals »

Our IBC World Series is nearly set. Pat Bishop led the Cubs to the NL pennant and will try to win his second title - and the fictitious IBC Chicago's first title - vs. either Brett or Pat G.

Originally, ExCo was going to wait to post this message until the World Series was set, but JB already dropped his that he is stepping away from the IBC (post here: viewtopic.php?p=94911#p94911). With that news, there's a lot of changes taking place this offseason.

First - some relocation news.

Brett Zalaski will move from San Diego to New York and take over the Yankees. This was one of JB's parting wishes, and Z is a massive Yankees fan. It's a win-win for everybody.

Jim Berger is relinquishing the White Sox and moving to San Diego. Jim is fed up with the real-life White Sox ownership and wants to cleanse himself of some of that stench - and will now head west in the IBC.

With Bren already having quit, we currently have the White Sox and Tigers open. If any GM is interested in either team, please let me or another member of ExCo know. Given all the changes, this is a year where we'll be a bit more lax with relocation.

Now to the larger news... we will hold a minidraft for the first time in what must be well over a decade. JB's team is too good to hand over to somebody new. Bren's team has some pretty good pieces, too, and a high draft pick. This minidraft is open to anybody in the league, and not just the two new GMs who are coming in.

There will be a league-wide signing freeze while the draft is ongoing, as the participants will have the entire population of non-owned players to select from in addition to those whose rosters are entering the draft. There will be a 2-3 day waiver period following the completion of the draft, and we will catch up to any ZiPS bidding as quickly as possible

To enter the minidraft, please email rosters@ibcleague.com stating your intention to do so. This will be a blind and binding entry. You will not know the other participants until the deadline passes save for the current Yankees and Tigers rosters. The deadline to enter the minidraft is next Sunday, Oct. 29, 11:59 PM ET. We will make sure there is ample time to research the draft pool once the deadline passes and we can announce which teams are in.

There will be some live component to the minidraft. Obviously, there will be 55 rounds. This cannot be dragged on all offseason and will be completed in approximately a week. With the "live" portion of the draft, we'll try to make it as interactive as possible so other GMs can engage. You can think of this as our GM meetings or winter meetings of sorts. We will aim to have the minidraft start within a week or two of the IBC WS concluding.

One of the missing pieces of this puzzle is two GMs. One is spoken for, as Aaron Dorman will rejoin the league. We still need to find and bring in another GM before the minidraft begins - so if you know of anyone interested, please let a member of ExCo know.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Re: State of the IBC: 2023 Minidraft, Relocation & More

Post by Nationals »

These may be dumb questions, but I want to fully understand and to be clear, so I have a few clarifying questions:

1) How are draft slots assigned?
2) Is it a snake or standard draft?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Great questions.

1.) Random number generator
2.) Snake
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Isn't snake draft the standard for drafting?
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Marlins wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:42 pm Isn't snake draft the standard for drafting?
I meant standard as in how we do our FYPD and major league sports do their drafts (i.e. if you have pick #1, it's the first in each round).
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Nationals wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:44 am
Marlins wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:42 pm Isn't snake draft the standard for drafting?
I meant standard as in how we do our FYPD and major league sports do their drafts (i.e. if you have pick #1, it's the first in each round).
Yeah, given that this is the teams completely starting from scratch - and not based off of record - snake is most fair.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Ben is taking his Angels and moving to Detroit - his favorite team.

We now have the White Sox and Angels as vacant, should any team wish to move, please let me know prior to Sunday, 11:59 PM ET.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Reminder, deadline to email intention to join mini draft is tomorrow night.

Return to “Announcements”