Press Release: IBC Great, 5 Time World Champion, announces his retirement

Jason Bornas's blog

Moderator: WhiteSox

WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Press Release: IBC Great, 5 Time World Champion, announces his retirement

Post by WhiteSox »

Hello Gentlemen,

The time has finally come for me to hang it up and retire from the IBC. When asked 21! years ago if I wanted to join a simulation baseball league based on projections called the "IBC" I never would have imagined the run this league has had (and will continue to have). I remember being a 20 something staying up all hours chatting with members on AIM (pre Gchat), scouring Baseball America or any prospect baseball site I could find to try and find the next big star, and just living all things baseball. As I got older with more responsibility (3 kids!) other priorities ultimately got in the way and the allowable time for a baseball SIM league inevitably declined, but I stayed as long as I did because of the members and the friendships forged along the way. I will always remember the IBC meet-ups (man we had some good times), lets plan another one soon!

A few parting words to my closest IBC colleagues:

Shawn: Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this league over the years, the website, interfaces, etc has made this league run smoothly for years.

Nils: I am going to gift you my voo-doo doll, it is a little dusty, but the magic is still in there. I want to see you hang another banner soon my man. Also thank you for dealing me Tatis

Brett Z: Not sure I am allowed, but I'd like to gift you the first rights to the IBC Yankees franchise, you deserve it!

Dan V: It was a pleasure battling you for years in the AL Beast, I'll always remember our adventures at Fenway!

Brett P / Jag / Nate: Talking prospects, baseball, and life in general with you three over the years was always a pleasure!

Pat: You are welcome for Olson (probably should have JP reverse that deal), make sure you keep me up to date with the IBC happenings

JP: Finally my man JP. First off all thank you for running this league and all the hard work you put into this, I know that is not an easy ask. The league would not exist / run without you. Thank you for running my team this year and giving it one final push for a title. And finally thank you for all the battles we have had over the years, the h2h world series battles, the race to five banners (the league was supposed to self destruct btw) and just pushing me to better my team over the years to beat you. You were always my main IBC rival, I'll miss that competition.

To the rest of you, enjoy my players if you join the mini draft and please do not let JP fly banner #6 or let Pat fly any additional banners at all!

I think that about covers it, anytime you want to shoot the shit you can find me on Gchat! Best of luck to the IBC in the future!

Until next time,
JB
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Press Release: IBC Great, 5 Time World Champion, announces his retirement

Post by Guardians »

Oct. 20, 2023, a day that shall live in infamy. The day the Evil Empire was ridded from the International Baseball Confederacy. The day JB leaves.

In all seriousness, it's been a fun two decades, which is crazy to think. I'm glad we're no longer 20-year-olds and teenagers acting like fools. But the time constraints of adulting are an added pressure we all face. Thankful for the trade talks, the late-night banter, the rivalry, and the shared hobby over the years, JB. Thanks for being a part of it all.

Also, no trades can be reversed. No one made you gift Devers for crappy Rodon.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

We had a guy named JB in this league?
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

In all honesty, thanks for great and frustrating 20 years. You’re offering your resignation, so the best response is same as your reply to every trade offer: is that good?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

It was supposed to be a race to 6 - you're not allowed to retire.

A shame that you always got the best of me in the World Series matchups we had - almost had my first title in 2011. That Game 7 is locked into my brain with Jeter robbing friggin Murphy to end the series with the tying run on third. I can definitely say that always trying to catch up and beat you in the championship race was a primary motivator for me. I couldn't quite beat you in any of the World Series we played in losing 4-3, 4-2, and 4-1. You definitely deserved to win that race to 5.

There will always be a spot for you here if and when you want to come back. Then the race to the next 5 is on!
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

For all newer GM's, yes, there was a GM of the Yankees. And he's an unreplaceable legend.

JB - I graciously accept. It's like George Steinbrenner and all his incredible success handing it over to Hal's mediocrity...had to happen at some point.

Seriously, appreciate our relationship over the past 20 years. This league is losing a massive influence, a great GM, and an awesome person.

Good luck and stay in touch!
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

We didn't get as close as we should've over the years, but I will miss you dude. Truly sad to see you go...

...though I do still kinda hate you for never trading me Bryce Harper. I'm pretty sure my offer at one point hit Freeman and Scherzer. Maybe more. And you never budged. Not cool man.
WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

JP - Maybe we can gift Nick Bryce Harper as a going away present?

Nils - Is that good?

Z - Keep the flags flying for the NYY Franchise!

Pat - I will continue to haunt your team for the foreseeable future!
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Nick will have a crack since we're gonna have to break up the Yankees... :shock:
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

JB - It has been a pleasure being in the IBC with you and your side-kick voodoo doll. You represented the Evil Empire well and you will be missed.

Best of success in your life away from the IBC ... I truly hope we keep this league going long enough that when you decide you want to return from a sabbatical rather then remain forever retired you got a place to land.

Take care and stay positive!
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

JB my man, what can I say? You were here on day 1 of this league, like myself. I know as we've gotten older we all don't have as much time as we used to, to just shoot the shit, talk shit, etc - but this league won't be the same without you buddy.

I do sincerely hope you'll come back one day - some time away just made me fonder for it all again. And if not, thats okay too. The past 2 decades has been a great run my friend. I got nothing but the best wishes for you JB.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

JB. Say it ain't so, bro! I know you can see the writing on the wall and the O's dynasty is about to begin. That must be it. Seriously though you have frustrated the shit out of me over the years trying to chase you out of the top spot in the east (and failing... repeatedly).You will be sorely missed, as much for your willingness to get into shenanigans with me in Boston as for your skills as a GM. I, for one, hope you miss us terribly and come crawling back, just so I can enjoy finally watching you endure a rebuild.

I'm on board for the next IBC meetup, for sure. See you there.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Take care JB.
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

JB ordering food in retirement:

JB: Get me something good!

Server: Well, what are you interested in ordering?

JB: What are you interested in ordering?

Server: <confused>

Server: <returns 15 minutes later with an absolute feast; charges JB $3.99>
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Twins wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:27 am JB ordering food in retirement:

JB: Get me something good!

Server: Well, what are you interested in ordering?

JB: What are you interested in ordering?

Server: <confused>

Server: <returns 15 minutes later with an absolute feast; charges JB $3.99>
He's given up his voo doo doll, so I don't think it works for him anymore. I also don't think anyone believes Nils will correctly wield its power.
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Good luck to you JB.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Completely understand the being 20-something and AIM chatting compared to current life demands (18 years later for me). Extremely hard to step away, but best of luck going forward.

Return to “Evil Empire Blog”