Tigers

Moderator: Executive Committee

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Tigers

Post by Padres »

Bren left after doing nothing with the Tigers roster since the draft ... I sent the following to Z:

Hey Z

If I were to ask /suggest to ExCo that we have an active NL GM manage the Tigers roster on an interim basis, would you be interested? Doing so would preclude you from trading with yourself (no Padres/Tigers deals - but you aren't making any of those anyway) ... One of the first things you'd need to do is make their draft roster legal as they only have 9 draftees. It would be easy to as Gage Workman is hitting .198/.327/.728 at AA and .229/.305/.725 for his MiLB career and strikes out nearly 40% of his AB. Another easy release would Miguel Cabrera who isn't relevant now and won't be eligible next season ...The team also has some studs such as Famber Valdez that, if traded, could get a nice bounty ...

I know you are busy with your own team but I think some one should make at least a 1/4 attempt at making that roster more attractive and I know if you did it would be in better hands then it has been with Bren these past few months.

I haven't discussed this idea with anyone else yet - wanted to get your thoughts first.

Thanks

Jim

He responded:

My USFL season is done...this is a good time for it. I'd be happy to help.

They definitely need some work. Appreciate you thinking!

Since Z is willing and seems to be interested I say let him do it. What do you all think?
Marlins
Name: Nils

Re: Tigers

Post by Marlins »

I’m definitely good with this idea.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

WhiteSox wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:36 pm Bren left after doing nothing with the Tigers roster since the draft ... I sent the following to Z:

Hey Z

If I were to ask /suggest to ExCo that we have an active NL GM manage the Tigers roster on an interim basis, would you be interested? Doing so would preclude you from trading with yourself (no Padres/Tigers deals - but you aren't making any of those anyway) ... One of the first things you'd need to do is make their draft roster legal as they only have 9 draftees. It would be easy to as Gage Workman is hitting .198/.327/.728 at AA and .229/.305/.725 for his MiLB career and strikes out nearly 40% of his AB. Another easy release would Miguel Cabrera who isn't relevant now and won't be eligible next season ...The team also has some studs such as Famber Valdez that, if traded, could get a nice bounty ...

I know you are busy with your own team but I think some one should make at least a 1/4 attempt at making that roster more attractive and I know if you did it would be in better hands then it has been with Bren these past few months.

I haven't discussed this idea with anyone else yet - wanted to get your thoughts first.

Thanks

Jim

He responded:

My USFL season is done...this is a good time for it. I'd be happy to help.

They definitely need some work. Appreciate you thinking!

Since Z is willing and seems to be interested I say let him do it. What do you all think?
P.S. Although I'd love to get Eloy (or Valdez), since I proposed the idea I will refrain from trading with the Tigers as well while Z is interim if this action is approved by ExCo ( just to avoid any appearance of collusion) ...
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

My only thought is if we're expecting an off-season mini draft, Z should only be managing rosters and not making trades
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Guardians wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:26 pm My only thought is if we're expecting an off-season mini draft, Z should only be managing rosters and not making trades
When was the most recent IBC mini-draft ... I thought we had one fairly recently but maybe we only discussed the possibility of conducting one ..
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I think we talked about it last off-season. I think with Bren and JB leaving, it should be offered this off-season. So I think Detroit should be managed but not changed drastically.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Guardians wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:30 pm I think we talked about it last off-season. I think with Bren and JB leaving, it should be offered this off-season. So I think Detroit should be managed but not changed drastically.
I did not know JB is leaving as well ... Are we freezing (no trade) the Yankees roster as well?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Jb is still running his team, so no
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

I agree, if we are doing a mini draft, then no point to Z doing any trades through that.
Reds

Post by Reds »

Guardians wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:26 pm My only thought is if we're expecting an off-season mini draft, Z should only be managing rosters and not making trades
I'm good with this if he is just managing the roster, but with no trades.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

WhiteSox wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:33 pm
Guardians wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:30 pm I think we talked about it last off-season. I think with Bren and JB leaving, it should be offered this off-season. So I think Detroit should be managed but not changed drastically.
I did not know JB is leaving as well ... Are we freezing (no trade) the Yankees roster as well?
This is admittedly a facetious statement ... but seriously I am glad that we found (for those of us that did not know) that a mini-draft is being seriously considered and that JB is leaving the IBC as well.

So Z will not be considered to enhance the Tigers roster prior to the mini-draft. Some body on ExCo should at least make the Tigers draftee roster legal by dropping Workman and/or Caberera [who would be a wasted roster spot on any roster next season as we know he is retiring] and signing a legit 21 or 22 prospect. I saw this issue immediately after the draft and saw it was never dealt with so I knew way back when Bren's level of involvement was slim and none in the IBC ...

Return to “ExCo General”