Draft Changes

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Draft Changes

Post by Cardinals »

All,

Two draft changes for this upcoming draft.

We are moving the draft start date to February 15, 2023. Additionally, you can now trade picks during the draft. You will not need to backchannel deals during the draft, nor will you have to wait until after the draft to execute trades involving draft picks.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Re: Draft Changes

Post by Mets »

I would suggest one adjustment to the draft pick trading - teams should not be able to trade a pick once on the clock for that pick. While not completely possible to police, it discourages teams from openly shopping the current pick for the entire 24-hours on the clock.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

Agreed with John, allowing people to trade while they are on the clock really slows down the draft.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

I have thought about this too, but at the end of the day, won't people still just back channel a deal within their 24 hour window?

I don't know of a solution here. It will be interesting to see how the changes affect the speed of the draft.
Mets

Post by Mets »

Rockies wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:04 pm I have thought about this too, but at the end of the day, won't people still just back channel a deal within their 24 hour window?

I don't know of a solution here. It will be interesting to see how the changes affect the speed of the draft.
The one thing it does prevent is the "I'm on the clock - who wants this pick, get your offers in" type of posts while on the clock, so essentially you may still be talking to a team or two while on the clock, but you aren't promoting/advertising your current pick to drum up interest, which is what causes most of the delays.

RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

Did we decide anything on shortening the timeclock on the last round? Seemed like last year round 5 took forever. Though maybe it was just all the timed out skips.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Mets wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:36 pm The one thing it does prevent is the "I'm on the clock - who wants this pick, get your offers in" type of posts while on the clock, so essentially you may still be talking to a team or two while on the clock, but you aren't promoting/advertising your current pick to drum up interest, which is what causes most of the delays.
Is this true though? Because we've never promoted or advertised our current pick, because it wasn't allowed.. it was always done back channel wise.. which means if we don't allow it, nothing has changed, and it will still be done as it has in the past.

So my question is, what is the difference? Other than someone can now make a post about it and try to hold out, and its not all done behind the scenes.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Exco discussed the 24 clock situation. I think what we ultimately agreed on is a couple things:

-If you were truly trying to figure out who to draft and/or slept through 10 hours of your 24 hours and then worked a full day and drafted 20 hours into your 24 hours (for example), no one is going to complain to you because everyone has 24 hours to draft.

-So, taking 24 hours to shop a pick is still using the same 24 hours on a pick. You're just using the time differently.

-As for the draft taking forever, I think the general sentiment from most exco members was we don't have anything else going on with the league during the draft, and the database probably isn't coming close to Opening Day, so if the draft takes a month, why does it matter? It gets us through to spring training as it's typically a dull time.

-When people are done drafting, they should post it with their last pick and we will X out their remaining picks so everyone knows they are to be skipped. Hopefully, this keeps us moving. Without programmatic levers on the website to keep a clock, it's very much an honor/accountability system by all of us.
Reds

Post by Reds »

To clarify. Trading a pick while it’s on the clock does not reset the 24 hour period for that pick. So please be ready to pick within the time allotted.
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

How are missed picks being handled? Did we ever make definitive rules around that?
Rockies

Post by Rockies »

Rockies wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:42 am How are missed picks being handled? Did we ever make definitive rules around that?
I'd like to raise this again. Are we going to allow someone who missed their pick to just jump in whenever they get back to paying attention to the IBC and make a selection in the middle of someone else's clock?

Can they still turn around and trade a missed pick for 3 more, so Team A can snag a guy before Team B?? In my opinion, a GM who misses a pick should incur some kind of consequence for doing so.
Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Post by Braves »

Rockies wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:10 am
Rockies wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:42 am How are missed picks being handled? Did we ever make definitive rules around that?
I'd like to raise this again. Are we going to allow someone who missed their pick to just jump in whenever they get back to paying attention to the IBC and make a selection in the middle of someone else's clock?

Can they still turn around and trade a missed pick for 3 more, so Team A can snag a guy before Team B?? In my opinion, a GM who misses a pick should incur some kind of consequence for doing so.
Move it to the end of whatever the current draft round is, maybe? So if you miss your pick in round 3 you then would be able to pick once that round ends. If multiple GMs miss their pick it would default to original pick order - as an example missed pick 3.7 would pick before missed pick 3.20, etc.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

I think having to wait until the end of the round is a pretty stiff penalty. Especially if it’s an early round pick. Things happen, work, school, family, illness. I agree there should be a penalty but just not that harsh. Maybe if you miss your pick you can’t pick within 24 hours of your time expiring. Or maybe it’s 48 hours. How many spots you actually drop will depend on how fast draft is moving.
Mets

Post by Mets »

Not sure a penalty is warranted. You are punishing the franchise with this as well. If the GM bails, the incoming GM now has to take on a team with that much less talent. Also, big difference from missing your pick at #3 and getting moved to the back of the line versus missing it at #28.

Only acceptable option is GM picks when they can. if ten or so picks go by and they still do not fill in their pick, the team gets the next best player and the GM goes onto the IBC watchlist.

Return to “Announcements”