Down on the Farm - 2023

Brandon Brown's Blog

Moderator: Braves

Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Re: Down on the Farm - 2023

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-prospect- ... e-coverage

Owen Caissie has long been on scouts' radars. A second-round pick in 2020 from the Canadian prep ranks, he has a sweet left-handed swing with 65-grade power that helped make him a key component of the Cubs' return in the Yu Darvish trade.

Caissie has put together solid Minor League campaigns, but he never translated his tools into elite production -- until this season with Double-A Tennessee.

Caissie has fully tapped into his prodigious power as the outfielder leads the Southern League with 21 home runs, all as one of the circuit's youngest players, having just turned 21 in July. That offensive breakout has helped him rise in MLB Pipeline's latest rankings to become baseball's No. 69 overall prospect.

There are myriad reasons for Caissie's breakout, and they all stem back to the same reason the Cubs felt comfortable aggressively assigning him to Double-A. Chicago was confident in his work ethic and had faith that his mindset would help promising underlying data bloom into big-time results.

"We knew he was taking all of the right choices and spending time at our complex with us, working on his game and his improvement," Cubs vice president of player development Jared Banner said of Caissie. "So we thought he was mature enough to take that next step. And when adversity hit, he would be able to handle it and continue to fight through it and not let things spiral."

Caissie certainly faced adversity at the start of the season. Although he was hitting for plenty of power when he made contact, he struck out 26 times in his first 12 games. He was able to still post a 1.038 OPS because two-thirds of his batted balls landed for hits, but that was far from sustainable.

Instead of continuing to sell out for power, Caissie worked with Smokies hitting coach Rick Strickland on toning down his signature bat waggle and simplifying things at the plate. Playing at 6-foot-3 and 190 pounds, Caissie has plenty of natural power on his own -- he generates exit velocities on par with some of the top Major Leaguers -- but he felt like he was over-swinging, and that was keeping him from reaching his power potential.

"I never considered myself a power hitter in high school; I considered myself a hitter with power. I just have it," Caissie said. "I am getting better at contact, which I'm really trying to focus on; not striking out as much because the more I hit the ball, the more of a chance I have of making a difference in the game."

By focusing on putting the bat to the ball and letting his natural abilities take over, the results are plain to see. Caissie's strikeout rate has dropped each month from 43.2 percent in April to 33.7 in May, 31.7 in June, 25.5 in July and 22.5 so far in August.

"I see him as one of the best two-strike hitters in the Southern League," manager Kevin Graber said. "When he's up at the plate, and he has two strikes on him, I say to our hitting coach, Rick Strickland, 'Here comes two-strike Owen Caissie.' Lately, especially, those two-strike situations have resulted in line drives toward the opposite-field gap, balls just finding their way through holes, mainly just getting the bat on the ball and making something happen."

Caissie was productive in the first half, hitting .275/.377/.519 with a 33.9 percent strikeout rate. But his .329/.440/.646 line with a 25.7 percent K rate in the second half underscores how much progress he's made.

Caissie still has a ways to go before he's ready to star in the Majors; it's easy to forget that he has very few live game reps compared to most players at Double-A. Canadian baseball typically only runs from April to September, and he's only played in 252 Minor League games since he could only practice at the team complex during the COVID-disrupted 2020 season.

Caissie's newfound approach at the plate has been working wonders and leaves the Cubs' organization buzzing about his future.

"I see him as a surefire big league hitter," Graber said. "But his maturity, his work ethic, the degree to which he's an amazing teammate, the way he's respectful to his coaches and above all else, the way that he's receptive to learning -- it's really special."
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline's Best Tools of Updated 2023 Top 100 Propsects: https://www.mlb.com/news/best-tools-of- ... e-coverage

Best Power: Owen Caissie, OF, Cubs (65)
The best prospect that the Cubs received in the Yu Darvish trade in December 2020, Caissie creates huge raw power with bat speed and leverage in his left-handed stroke. He's doing a better job of turning on pitches and driving them in the air this summer, challenging for the Double-A Southern League triple crown while batting .293/.394/.554 with 21 homers in 95 games. His exit velocities are exceptional for a 20-year-old and would rank among the best in the Majors.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... s-it-alll/

Friday:
Jasson Domínguez, OF, Yankees (Double-A Somerset): 4-6, HR, BB, SB.
With Yankees fans likely more focused on the farm than they’d have expected or hoped to be at this stage in the season, Domínguez continues to put up solid numbers and is nearing a 40-steal campaign.

Sunday:
Jasson Domínguez, OF, Yankees (Double-A Somerset): 2-4, HR, BB, 3 SB.

And from BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -heats-up/

Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees: While the Yankees’ big league club’s 2023 season has circled the drain, Dominguez has had a breakout month in a solid, but unspectacular season. Dominguez had his second four-hit game in three days on Sunday, and three of those four hits were doubles. He’s now hitting .380/.438/.608 this month.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/what-to-expect ... e-coverage

With their rotation struggling to withstand depth issues behind co-aces Logan Webb and Alex Cobb all season, the postseason-hopeful Giants are calling in a top-rated reinforcement. The team is promoting No. 1 prospect Kyle Harrison to replace the injured Ross Stripling in San Francisco’s rotation, manager Gabe Kapler confirmed over the weekend.

The No. 20 overall prospect per MLB Pipeline, Harrison will be thrown right into the playoff hunt and make his MLB debut Tuesday in Philadelphia against the Phillies, who entered the week two games up on the Giants for the National League’s top Wild Card spot. Harrison is the sport's top left-handed pitching prospect and the second-best pitching prospect overall, per MLB Pipeline.

“The last couple outings, I think he’s taking some real steps forward,” Kapler told reporters in Atlanta this weekend. “We think he’s ready to come up and help us win baseball games. That’s like the most important thing.”

The Giants’ third-round pick (85th overall) in the 2020 Draft, Harrison was widely considered the best healthy prep left-hander in the ‘20 class coming out of Bay Area Concord High that year, before falling due to signability issues. San Francisco dispelled those concerns by signing the local kid for first-round money -- a $2,497,500 bonus -- then watched his arsenal take immediate steps forward upon his debut at Low-A San Jose the following summer.

Harrison earned Low-A pitcher of the year honors in his pro debut, leading the league in ERA (3.19) and strikeouts per nine (14.3) in 2021. The results were even better last year, where Harrison led the Minors in whiffs per nine (14.8) and whiff percentage (39.8) while reaching Double-A as a 20-year-old. Harrison’s results were more mixed this season at Triple-A Sacramento, where he posted huge strikeout numbers (105 punchouts in 65 2/3 innings) but also his highest walk rate (6.6 per nine) and ERA (4.66) as a pro.

Harrison’s low three-quarter arm slot creates good angle and shape on his pitches, and when he’s in the strike zone, his enhanced stuff makes him electric. He has the ability to miss bats in the strike zone with all three of his pitches: a low-to-mid-90s fastball with riding action that can touch 97 mph, a plus low-80s slider with sweep and a fading mid-80s changeup that helps Harrison neutralize right-handed hitters. It's that advanced stuff that has made Harrison the Giants' most anticipated pitching prospect since Madison Bumgarner.

It’s also developed at a faster pace than Harrison’s control and command; at the lower levels, that stuff was overpowering enough for Harrison to get away with mistakes when he made them. That kind of impunity doesn’t exist in the Majors, and the Giants know that. Which is why they were super encouraged by Harrison’s last two appearances with Sacramento, where he racked up 11 strikeouts without a walk across 7 1/3 innings. The timing of his promotion is not coincidental, coming off those two strong outings.

Not long ago, the thinking was that once Harrison refined his control and command he’d be a strong candidate to headline the Giants' rotation for years to come. That still might be the case. But San Francisco needs him now. The Giants aren’t expecting the 22-year-old to be a complete panacea -- Harrison still isn’t fully re-stretched out after missing most of July with a right hamstring strain -- but they are hoping he can provide a jolt with quality innings down the stretch.

It’s not out of the question that Harrison could stick around once Stripling returns, either. San Francisco recently lost No. 3 starter Anthony DeSclafani for probably the remainder of the season, and the club has been relying on openers and bullpen days to cover that void.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline's Pitching Lab: https://www.mlb.com/news/robert-gasser- ... e-coverage

There is a lot of talk about how Jackson Chourio, Sal Frelick, Jeferson Quero, Jacob Misiorowski and Tyler Black have taken nice jumps forward in 2023 and helped the Brewers establish the No. 3 farm system in all of baseball. But one player near the top of the club’s Top 30 Prospects list has the chance to make a unique impact for the Major League team this fall as it pursues its fifth postseason appearance in the last six years: left-hander Robert Gasser.

Milwaukee’s No. 6 prospect has spent the entire 2023 campaign with Triple-A Nashville, and entering Aug. 21, he had racked up 143 strikeouts in 113 1/3 innings, giving him 23 more K’s than anyone else at the Minors’ top level. His 3.81 ERA also ranked second among qualifiers in a year in which offense has jumped across Triple-A.

“I feel close,” Gasser said from the MLB Pipeline Game of the Month in Nashville back in July. “I feel like my games were in a good spot. I feel like I’ve grown a lot over this year. I started off the year not very good, walking a ton of guys. But for the past month and a half or so, I’ve cut down the walks a ton, thrown a lot more strikes and the strikeout numbers are still pretty good. As long as I can keep guys off the basepaths, I think I’ll be in really good shape.”

For this edition of the Pitching Lab, the 24-year-old southpaw walked MLB Pipeline through the grips and approaches he uses on the five pitches he features -- four-seamer, two-seamer, slider, cutter, changeup. In the video breakdown above, we’ve used footage from Gasser’s quality start from Aug. 11 in which he struck out nine and scattered three earned runs on three hits and two walks over six frames against Indianapolis.

Fastballs
Gasser throws a pair of heaters in his four-seam and sinker, both of which sit around 91-94 mph but with different movement profiles.

The four-seamer averages around 8-9 inches of horizontal break and roughly 14 inches of induced vertical break, which doesn’t make it a perfect “rising” fastball by modern standards but it does offer him an option up in the zone.

The sinker can generate 15-16 inches of horizontal movement to Gasser’s arm side, a performance that is aided by his lower arm slot. He’s actually increased its usage as 2023 has rolled along and the Triple-A feedback continues to be strong.

“It's a really good pitch early in counts for me,” Gasser said of the two-seamer. “I actually threw it a decent amount later in the count as well [on July 22], but early in the count -- especially with the cutters too -- having those two split the middle of the plate and having hitters guessing – that’s been my go-to early right now.”

True to his scouting report, Gasser threw first-pitch strikes to 16 of the 23 batters he faced in that Aug. 11 outing, and 12 of the 16 strikes came on either a fastball or a cutter. The two-seamer has also generated a ground ball on 51.3 percent of batted balls in play and hasn’t generated an extra-base hit all season, as of Aug. 21.

Cutter
Speaking of the cutter, Gasser joined the modern revolution around the pitch shortly after San Diego selected him as the 71st overall pick in 2021 out of Houston, starting with a four-seam grip and twisting the ball slightly for more offset positioning.

“In college, I didn’t even have it,” he said. “When I first got to pro ball, I wanted to throw a harder slider, and that was the pitch I gravitated toward. Over my first year and then into this year, it’s developed into a true cutter, which has been beneficial because it can keep guys off balance and I can have something that’s not going both directions horizontally. It’s kind of a bullet straight at the guy.”

Gasser’s comfort with the upper-80s pitch has become obvious, and there have been outings for Nashville -- particularly since late May -- when his cutter usage has surpassed his combined fastball totals. That correlates well with his improvement in control as Gasser hasn’t walked more than three batters in an outing since May 19.

As the hurler mentioned, Gasser’s cutter hovers right around the 0-inch mark for horizontal movement, though it can drift towards slider movement if he gets too on the side of the ball in his grip. Having a pitch he can pinpoint directly to the catcher’s mitt, instead of having to account for break or run, is a solid way to get back in counts or steal early strikes.

Slider
While Gasser can certainly throw the kitchen sink at hitters, it helps to have a true plus pitch, and that comes in the form of his 79-82 mph slider. (Note: this can appear as a curveball in Statcast’s Triple-A data set, but Gasser confirmed he throws the slider.)

While the two-seamer breaks 16 inches to Gasser’s arm side, the slider moves the same amount to his right (glove side), creating a slower mirror image of the sinking heater that befuddles batters from both sides.

“I take the horseshoe, wrap my fingers around it and have a lot of pressure on it [as] I grip it pretty hard,” he said. “It really depends on where I’m trying to throw it. I can throw it middle and start it at a lefty’s hip and get takes on that. Or if the circumstance calls for it, I can go backfoot to a righty.

“It has a lot of lift on it too. It has 10 induced vertical at times. So it can have lift and run. But if I turn it a little in my hand and think curveball and get that middle finger on top of it, it has a little more depth. But it’s a true slider since it gets 16-20 inches of horizontal. So I like that a lot, especially with some lift because nobody’s bat path is going up and to the left.”

In the Aug. 11 start against Indianapolis, Gasser threw 29 sliders and 17 of them (58.6 percent) resulted in called strikes or whiffs. That’s nearly double the “good” standard of 30 percent. Taking that comment about backfooting to right-handers on step further, too, Gasser did allow all nine of his homers in 2023 to righties, but he’s holding those same batters to a collective .226/.310/.386 line, fairly similar to the .233/.337/.322 line for lefties.

Changeup
“Work in progress right now,” were Gasser’s first words about his upper-80s changeup, which he throws with a two-seam grip with his middle fingers slightly offset on the left side of the laces.

At its best, the offspeed offering can show decent run, diving arm side around 16-20 inches while generating a lot of ground balls like the sinker. But that only goes so far.

“Honestly, it’s more of a location thing right now rather than the movement or profile,” Gasser said in July. “The profile is great. I have to figure out where to start the ball and get it in the zone more often.”

During the Indianapolis start, Gasser threw only six changeups total and didn’t get a called strike or whiff on any of them. Two of them resulted in 306-foot and 354-foot flyouts, both by right-handed slugger Miguel Andujar on cambios low but over the heart of the plate.

A more consistently located changeup would give Gasser a third quality pitch with good amounts of east-west movement -- nearly perfect for someone with his arm slot and lack of stellar fastball velocity. As is, the southpaw’s arsenal has been deep enough to punish Triple-A batters, and whether it’s late in 2023 or early in 2024, the Brewers should give the well-rounded repertoire a shot at The Show before long.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's The Call-Up: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... nts-debut/

The Situation: The Giants crowded starting pitching depth has been destabilized by a combination of poor performance and injuries. With the Giants trying to hold onto a wild card spot and Kyle Harrison putting together two consecutive strong outings, he finally received the call.

Background: The Giants used their pool flexibility to coax Harrison away from a UCLA commitment with late-first round money in the 2020 draft. Since he joined the organization, Harrison has made that decision look like one of the shrewdest in that year’s draft. Harrison immediately began flashing high-90s velocity to pair with a wipeout breaking ball and intriguing changeup. Harrison was the most dominant pitcher in the lower minors from 2021-2022, making himself a consensus top-50 prospect in the league. 2023 has proved to be the most challenging of Harrison’s career, but that says more about how dominant he’s been before. Still the age of most juniors in college, Harrison has posted a 4.66 ERA in 20 appearances at Triple-A this season, recording 105 strikeouts in 65.2 innings pitched with 48 walks.

Scouting: Harrison has one of the best fastballs in the minor leagues, consistently sitting in the mid-90s with excellent characteristics that help it generate plenty of whiffs at the top of the zone. While the true impact of ABS may still be up for debate, it’s easy to see why pitchers like Harrison may have been most impacted by the tightened strike zone in the minors. Harrison has flashed a plus breaking ball and changeup, but he has always been hesitant to use the changeup and he’s mostly abandoned it so far this season. His breaking ball has massive horizontal movement but became too easy for Triple-A hitters to take. As an adjustment, he developed a milder breaking ball to get in the zone and force opponents’ to respect his nastier one more. The results have been mixed. There are few pitchers in the minors better at racking up strikeouts than Harrison, but the rest of the pieces a starting pitcher needs have not yet come together. Beyond the walks, Harrison has shown massive platoon splits for the first time in his career this season, perhaps because he’s tabled the changeup. The combination of platoon splits and increased walk numbers could be the reason Harrison falls short of lofty expectations, settling into a high-variance fourth starter or high-leverage reliever. With that said, he just turned 22 and has been pitching in the toughest minor league environments this season. There’s plenty of reason to believe he can take the necessary steps forward to end up one of the best starters in baseball, with a profile that is not too far off from Blake Snell or Chris Sale.

Immediate Big-League Future: Nearly every Giants pitcher who has appeared at both San Francisco and Sacramento has actually performed better in the majors than Triple-A so far this season, so his 4.66 ERA is far from alarming. With that said, Harrison has not thrown more than 60 pitches in an outing since June and has struggled with command all season. Given how the Giants have handled the rotation all season long, it seems like they hope to ease Harrison into the majors with 3-5 inning outings. —Marc Delucchi

Fantasy Impact: At 21, Kyle Harrison is the youngest pitcher in Triple-A (greater than 60 innings). What’s more impressive is that as the youngest pitcher in Triple-A, he drew the highest Whiff% on the back of his highly deceptive fastball and solid slider. Through his first go, the fastball should be perfectly fine against big-league competition…if he can locate it. A hurdle for Harrison throughout his development (he’s walked about 16% of the batters who’ve made a plate appearance this season alone). Until he turns a corner on the command, he will find himself in some trouble. Moreover, we shouldn’t expect the Whiff% to be matched in the bigs. He fills up the zone with the heater and there’s not a ton of chase in his pitching profile and the O-Swing% was among the lowest in Triple-A. It should also be noted this is all occurring with 20 of his 21 starts going less than 5 innings. In summary, you’re looking at a good (not great) pitching prospect who’s still in development and may be worth a stream against bad competition. However, by taking the flier you are chasing a strikeout per inning with a middling WHIP and a puncher’s chance at a W. —Adam Lawler
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... k-8-22-23/

3. Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees
Team: Double-A Somerset (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: .464/.500/.857 (13-for-28), 8 R, 5 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 3 BB, 7 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: All season long when we solicited industry feedback for our rankings, scouts and executives would tell us not to lose faith in Dominguez despite stats that didn’t jump off the page. Lately, he’s rewarded that patience. The 20-year-old outfielder pummeled rival Reading for six games. The outburst was a continuation of a strong August for the switch-hitter. For the month, Dominguez is hitting .380/.438/.608 with three home runs and 14 RBIs. (JN)

10. Robert Gasser, LHP, Brewers
Team: Triple-A Nashville (International)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 1.50, 1 GS, 6 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 HR, 0 BB, 10 SO.

The Scoop: If the Brewers need starting pitching help, Gasser is ready and waiting. He’s more a mid-to-back-of-the-rotation starter than an ace, but unlike many young pitching prospects, Gasser is truly big league ready. He’s made 26 Triple-A starts. In his six scoreless innings last week, he was at his best, consistently finding a way to get in on the hands to righthanded hitters. He’s averaging 24 batters faced per game, and regularly logs six or seven innings an outing. His 3.81 ERA seems surprisingly high considering how effective his low-90s fastball/slider combo usually is. He gets swings and misses with both his fastball and slider and he locates them both well, which is a pretty solid combo. (JC)
Braves

Post by Braves »

A couple of pieces on Jasson Dominguez

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -in-three/

Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees: Dominguez had a Triple-A debut to remember on Tuesday. The 20-year-old outfielder finished 3-for-6 with three RBIs in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s win over Lehigh Valley. Dominguez struggled mightily over the first three months of the season, but he’s heated up significantly since the start of July.

And from MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-jasson ... e-coverage

The Martian has landed in Triple-A, and his debut was out of this world.

Starting in center field and batting second, Jasson Dominguez went 3-for-6 with three RBIs and a run scored in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s 14-1 rout of Lehigh Valley at PNC Field.

“I saw a very exciting player to watch,” said RailRiders manager Shelley Duncan. “He was manning center field, had some good jumps on balls, showed his range that he has out there. And then I saw a guy that put together some very aggressive at-bats and barreled up three balls extremely hard.”

What Duncan described was a five-tool player: someone who can hit for average and power as well as run, throw and field at a high level, and Domínguez fits the bill.

In Double-A, the No. 79 prospect in baseball slashed .254/.367/.414 with 15 homers, 37 stolen bases, 83 runs, 66 RBIs and a pair of outfield assists over 109 games. On Tuesday, several of those skills were displayed. Two of his three knocks came off the bat over 105 mph -- 107.4 and 109.2 -- and he crushed a double off the wall that was inches away from leaving the yard.

The Yankees' No. 2 prospect’s first Triple-A hit came in the fourth inning from the left side. He flipped around to the right in the sixth before crushing his first extra-base hit and finishing it off with another single in the same inning for good measure.

“It’s fun hearing all the hype that he’s built up this season,” Duncan said. “Then to come out here and have a 3-for-6 day with three lasers, it’s definitely an energy that was infectious to this team. One through nine, we felt it, and it was fun to watch.”

At Triple-A, Duncan will be looking for Domínguez to work on the intangibles of baseball. With no shortage of raw talent, the RailRiders manager and former Major Leaguer wants to help the 20-year-old Dominican Republic native improve his baseball IQ -- where to throw balls, what to do on the bases -- the stuff that doesn’t show up in the box score but helps teams win games.

“When you shore up all that and then you mix in the talent that he has, that creates a championship-caliber player and that’s the kind we want to develop for New York,” Duncan said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From FanGraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kyle-harris ... -the-heat/

Everyone loves a beginning — the christening of a new battleship, the birth of a new zoo giraffe, the major league debut of a top pitching prospect. On Tuesday night in Philadelphia, San Francisco Giants lefty Kyle Harrison emerged from his pupal stage. It went… pretty well: 3 1/3 innings, two earned runs, five hits, one walk, five strikeouts, one hit batter.

In a short start, Harrison pared his repertoire down to — with very few exceptions — just his fastball and slider. He gave up lots of hard contact, including a home run, but also, said manager Gabe Kapler, Harrison “missed a lot of bats. He missed bats in the zone. His fastball was carrying.”

Harrison entered the night as the no. 17 overall prospect on The Board, and the no. 5 overall pitching prospect. Every team in the playoff hunt could use a fresh, talented starter, the Giants more so than just about anyone. San Francisco is running a rotation out of the mid-20th century: Two very good starting pitchers and then a lot of improvisation. Webb, Cobb, and pray for fog. Or something like that. If you can do better than a slant rhyme, I’m all ears.

When Harrison took the mound, the Giants had had a pitcher throw 80 or more pitches in a game just 67 times this season, the lowest mark in baseball by some distance. (The Astros, who lead the league in this incredibly specific category, had 121.) Just the night before, the Giants had used an opener, Scott Alexander, in a pivotal game against the Phillies, a direct Wild Card rival, and Aaron Nola. Alexander and bulk relievers Sean Manaea and Sean Hjelle conspired to allow 10 earned runs, and so Harrison’s job was to balance the ledger.

Harrison kept the Giants in the game, departing with a one-run deficit that the Giants came within two outs of converting into a one-run win before blowing the lead in the bottom of the ninth.

At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Harrison is bigger than your average guy off the street but small for a major league starter. He doesn’t have a stereotypical long-limbed pitcher’s body; I’d call him compact, with a powerful lower half. He has a distinctive delivery; his windup starts with a long pause, about a full second, in a leaning posture that almost looks like a reversed still photo of Tim Lincecum. Harrison then brings his arm back and down in a stabbing motion before swinging around to the left for a low release point.

As for what comes out of Harrison’s hand then: a fastball that normally sits in the 93-94 mph range, which isn’t spectacular in this day and age, even for a left-handed starter. (Harrison was able to crack 97 a couple times, particularly in the first inning when his adrenaline was surely peaking. By the time Gabe Kapler came to get the rookie with one out in the fourth, Harrison’s fastball had dropped into the 92s.) But this pitch is why Harrison was able to strike out half — yes, exactly half — of the 118 batters he faced in High-A and 36.4% of the batters he faced in Double-A last year.

It was mostly effective against big league hitters as well; Harrison threw 47 heaters in his debut and got 11 whiffs on 23 swings.

“It wasn’t just major league hitters — really good, right-handed major league hitters that he was throwing the ball by,” Kapler said. “I’ve seen J.T. [Realmuto] a lot, and he can certainly catch up to a fastball. He threw the ball by J.T. a couple of times. He threw the ball by Trea [Turner] a couple times, threw it by [Nick] Castellanos a couple times. Those are some elite right-handed hitters, particularly against left-handed pitching, and you just don’t see it very often.”

Because Harrison’s fastball comes from an odd, low arm slot, it has wicked rise and arm-side movement, and it caused obvious problems when he could locate it.

“You get a low three-quarter release, which creates an [odd] approach angle,” catcher Patrick Bailey said after the game. “He’s getting two-plane break, vertical and horizontal. Probably the most comparable is like a Josh Hader.”

Hitting this fastball must be like trying to fend off an angry bee with a rolled-up magazine, particularly when Harrison can throw strikes low in the zone early in the count, then put a little extra on a fastball at collar-level for strike three. See some of the swings Harrison forced Phillies hitters into, and it’ll become clear why this kid was striking out more than a third of his minor league opponents.

The best punch out of the bunch was a three-pitch strikeout of Castellanos, the third Phillies hitter of the game: a slider on the inside corner for strike one, a fastball to climb the ladder for strike two, then a second fastball almost middle-middle that nonetheless froze Castellanos for a called strike three.

I was trying to think of a low-to-mid-90s fastball that gets on hitters the way Harrison’s does, and I came up with another fastball-slider guy: Cristian Javier. It’s a terrible comp, because everything from windup to pitch shape to throwing hand is different about these two, but the effect on hitters is similar.

The slider, a low-80s offering with big lateral break, was a decent complement to the fastball, but an imperfect one. Because it moves side-to-side instead of down, Harrison doesn’t get the most out of the 10-15 mph velocity differential when he pulls the string. Almost exactly a year ago, David Laurila chatted with Harrison about the young lefty’s repertoire; Harrison stopped short of calling his breaking ball a sweeper, perhaps because the term has only come into vogue since then. Statcast marked it as a slurve, which it definitely looks like, even if that classification is unfashionable nowadays. For his part, Harrison reiterated after the game that he calls it a slider, no matter what the analytics say.

Two pitches after Harrison took Castellanos’ lunch money, he dragged a breaking ball right into Harper’s bat path. The resulting two-run home run constituted the entirety of the scoring against Harrison in his debut.

“It could’ve been down, but in a 1-0 count I’m trying to back into it, get a strike,” Harrison says. “But he’s a good hitter. I gave it a little too much up in the zone.”

But Harrison’s slider can be effective when he gets on top of it: it produced one Johan Rojas swing so ugly I heard the guy behind me in the press box mutter, “Jesus Christ!”

The other knock on Harrison is his command, and true to form, that was a bit of a mixed bag in his debut. Harrison threw 43 strikes on 65 pitches and dotted the corners at times, but he also walked a batter, hit a batter, and left a few fastballs over the plate. Lucky for him, the pitch moves so much that when hitters did swing, often as not it was a probing effort, like looking for batteries in the junk drawer.

When the Phillies could get bat to ball, Harrison suffered. Eight of the 16 batters he faced put a ball in play; all eight of those balls had exit velocities over 91 mph, and five of them went out at over 98 mph. Three of Harrison’s five hits allowed went for extra bases. Harper seemed to have him dialed in pretty easily, adding a single to his first-inning home run. So did Bryson Stott, who crushed two hard line drives for base hits in his two plate appearances off Harrison. In fact, all five hits came off the bats of left-handed hitters, a fact that Kapler brushed off as happenstance, though Harrison admitted that lefties had been giving him trouble his last few minor league starts.

The result: Lots of traffic on the bases. Harrison allowed two runs in the first, left the bases loaded when Trea Turner lined out to center to end the second, then picked Harper off to end the third before leaving with Stott on first in the fourth.

It was unlikely that Harrison was ever going to go much further into the game. In addition to the Giants’ general propensity for short outings, Harrison has been kept on a light workload in the minors. In 21 starts, he’s had just four decisions and one win, because he’s only completed five innings once this season; his 65-pitch big league debut was his longest outing since June. (Harrison also spent about a month on the sidelines while recovering from a hamstring injury before returning to minor league action in early August.) Kapler said he’d had Harrison scheduled for between 60 and 65 pitches, and that’s exactly how long Harrison went.

This outing was also fastball-heavy; Harrison used the slider a little more than half as frequently as he had in recent minor league starts, and we saw his changeup just twice all night, and only in the second time through the order. At one point in the bottom of the second, Harrison threw 11 fastballs in a row.

“That was the plan, just filling up the zone early, and trying the best as I can to get ahead,” Harrison says. “Just trusting in Patty back there and trusting what he’s putting down.”

Kapler neither confirmed nor ruled out that Harrison would start again in five days. Harrison wouldn’t solve all of San Francisco’s problems; he’s still a little raw, and given his workload to date, it’s a long shot he’d be able to turn over a lineup more than twice. But no Giants starter, perhaps not even Webb and Cobb, can miss bats like Harrison, and that’s something they’ll need down the stretch.
Braves

Post by Braves »

And another from MLB Pipeline on Harrison: https://www.mlb.com/news/kyle-harrison- ... s-phillies

PHILADELPHIA -- The Giants have graduated a wave of young prospects to the Majors this year, but none arrived with quite as much buzz as left-hander Kyle Harrison.

Viewed as the organization’s most highly touted pitching prospect since Madison Bumgarner, Harrison showed flashes of his electric stuff in his Major League debut on Tuesday night, striking out five over 3 1/3 innings in the Giants’ 4-3 walk-off loss to the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park.

Harrison, who is ranked as San Francisco’s No. 1 prospect and the No. 20 overall prospect on MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 Prospects list, gave up two runs on five hits, one walk and one hit-by-pitch, with the entirety of the damage coming on Bryce Harper’s two-run home run in the first inning.

The 22-year-old threw 65 pitches (43 strikes), leaning heavily on his elite fastball (72 percent), which topped out at 97.6 mph and generated 11 of his 14 swinging strikes. Harrison recorded each of his five strikeouts on his heater, including his first career punchout against Trea Turner in the first.

“I thought it was about as good as you could have asked for,” catcher Patrick Bailey said.

Joc Pederson’s two-run double off right-hander Taijuan Walker in the fifth gave San Francisco a 3-2 lead that held up heading into the bottom of the ninth, but Philadelphia staged a late rally against closer Camilo Doval, who hit Bryson Stott to lead off the inning and then gave up a single to Brandon Marsh that put runners on the corners with one out.

After Marsh stole second, the Giants intentionally walked Kyle Schwarber to load the bases for Turner, who delivered a game-winning two-run single that deflected off Doval’s glove and bounced past a diving Thairo Estrada at second base, saddling San Francisco with its 12th loss in its past 16 games.

At 65-61, the Giants are now four games behind the Phillies (69-57) for the top National League Wild Card spot and a half-game behind the Cubs (65-60) and the D-backs (66-61) for the third Wild Card spot. With head-to-head records the first tiebreaker in the standings, San Francisco leads the season series vs. Philadelphia, 3-2, with one game remaining between the two clubs on Wednesday.

“It would have been much more satisfying for us to come back in after a quality debut and win the baseball game,” manager Gabe Kapler said. “You fight to get to the ninth, and you feel like you have the best closer in the game out there to win the game. It’s disappointing. It’s definitely a gut-punch.”

Harrison’s performance still served as a silver lining for the Giants, who are expected to give the young lefty a chance to stick on their big league roster and join Logan Webb and Alex Cobb as the only traditional starters in the rotation.

“It was a cool experience, for sure,” Harrison said. “Nerves were there, but once I threw the first pitch, it was the same game. … Not obviously your ideal debut, but we’ll definitely build on it.”

A 2020 third-round Draft pick out of De La Salle High School in Concord, Calif., Harrison took the mound with a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, but he surrendered a leadoff double to Schwarber. Two outs later, Harrison hung an 83.7 mph slurve to Harper, who crushed it out to right-center field for a two-run blast.

Left-handed hitters accounted for all five of the Phillies’ hits off Harrison, an odd trend considering he held lefties to a .171 batting average at Triple-A Sacramento this year.

“I don’t think that’s a sign of things to come,” Kapler said. “I think it’s a little bit more random and the fact that he missed with some breaking balls and some good left-handed hitters put good swings on them.”

Philadelphia tested Harrison by loading the bases with two outs in the second, but he managed to escape the jam with the help of fellow rookie Wade Meckler, who made a sliding catch on Turner’s liner to center field to end the inning.

Harrison came back out for the fourth, but he was removed after giving up a one-out single to Stott. The Giants knew Harrison wouldn’t be able to provide much length, as he’s still building up after missing most of July with a right hamstring strain.

Still, San Francisco’s bullpen nearly carried the club to the finish line, with Ryan Walker, Luke Jackson, Tyler Rogers and Taylor Rogers combining for 4 2/3 shutdown relief innings before Doval blew his sixth save of the year in the ninth.

Harrison’s parents, brother, girlfriend and a few buddies made the trip to Philadelphia to watch his debut, but he’s expecting to have a much bigger crowd on hand when he makes his first start at Oracle Park, which is only 30 miles from Concord.

“I can’t wait to get back,” Harrison said. “It’s going to cost me some money, for sure.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From FG's Sunday Notes: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-note ... sh-in-him/

Pete Hansen is 10-3 with a 3.32 ERA, a 3.96 FIP, and 114 strikeouts in 103 innings for the Low-A Palm Beach Cardinals. The 23-year-old southpaw was drafted in the third round last year by the St. Louis Cardinals out of the University of Texas where he went 22-4 with a 2.67 ERA over three collegiate seasons.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... to-finals/

Kyle Harrison, LHP, Giants: In his second big league start, San Francisco’s top prospect was magnificent. The 22-year-old southpaw struck out 11 in 6.1 shutout innings against a Cincinnati lineup teeming with young talent. He got a dozen whiffs as well. The performance marked Harrison’s first double-digit strikeout game of the season and fell one short of tying his professional career high, which came in Low-A in 2021. Besides his spot as the Giants’ top prospect, Harrison also ranks as the No. 1 lefthanded pitching prospect in the sport.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/kyle-harrison- ... ants-debut

SAN FRANCISCO -- As Kyle Harrison prepared to make his Major League home debut, there was no telling how the extra adrenaline was going to affect him. This was, after all, a very big deal for him. He was taking the mound at the very ballpark that helped shape his earliest baseball fandom, 30 miles away from the city where he grew up.

It took only a few minutes to find out how Harrison, a product of Concord, Calif., would harness this extra wave of emotion. In only his second big league start, the 22-year-old lefty was in control from the beginning, striking out 11 batters over 6 1/3 innings in a 4-1 Giants win over the Reds. This was one San Francisco sorely needed, after slogging through an arduous, mostly unsuccessful August.

“It was about as an electric performance by a pitcher as we've seen since I've been here in San Francisco, right up there with any pitching performance,” manager Gabe Kapler said.

The win kept the Giants relevant in the National League Wild Card race, where they’re a half-game behind Arizona for the final spot. They kept the Reds 1 1/2 games back in the chase, and the Giants also won round one in a three-game tiebreaker showdown, should the postseason race come down to that. With head-to-head records determining tiebreakers in the standings, whoever wins this series will have that edge.

While the Giants took care of business on the field, there was plenty of activity in the stands, too, in the form of a Harrison cheering section that was loud and expansive, popping up in a multitude of spots at Oracle Park.

They were everywhere. A dozen-plus were packed into a suite on the club level; another 20 or so were crammed in a section in the lower bowl, several rows behind the Giants dugout.

And then there were Harrison’s parents, Kim and Chris, who, rightfully, had the best seats of all members of the Harrison Cheering Section -- dugout club, eye level to the field, feet from the Giants dugout.

Harrison, for his part, said he was oblivious to all of it.

“I didn't see them at all,” he said. “I was dialed in. I think my buddies were saying they were somewhere close, but I was locked in. I didn't see them at all.”

Regardless, Harrison provided them with an eyeful as he hit multiple club milestones, making this start not only exhilarating, but historic, too.

Consistently touching 95 mph with his fastball, Harrison struck out the first five batters he faced. By the end of the third, he had fanned seven, becoming the youngest Giants pitcher in the last 50 seasons (since 1974) to have seven strikeouts through the game’s first three innings. That includes the Giants' eight postseasons over this stretch of time.

Harrison hit another historical marker in the sixth, when he fanned Noelvi Marte -- his 11th strikeout. That made Harrison the youngest Giants pitcher to record 11 strikeouts since Madison Bumgarner did so on June 26, 2011. Harrison, at 22 years, 16 days, narrowly missed topping Bumgarner, who was a mere 21 years and 329 days old when he struck out 11.

“The funny part is I think everybody's kind of shocked, like, ‘Oh man, wow, this is incredible,” said catcher Patrick Bailey, who played alongside Harrison during their ascent through the Giants’ Minor League system. “I’ve been seeing this for three years and have been part of it for three years. It’s been really cool to just see him do it on the biggest stage in front of a really good crowd.”

Harrison was on a loose pitch limit, somewhere around 80 to 85 pitches. He finished the sixth with 78, which seemed like an apropos time for Kapler to hand the game over to the bullpen.

But then he let Harrison go back out for the seventh.

“It felt like this was a historic performance at that point, and one that warranted an additional up, even though it wasn't totally comfortable,” Kapler said. "He was that good and that deserving.”

When he did head to the mound to lift Harrison later that inning, Kapler took his time getting there, and he waited a little longer once he arrived. This gave Harrison an extra moment to breathe it all in, and enjoy the ovation that followed him back to the dugout.

“Sometimes you forget to get lost in that moment,” Kapler said. “And there's just so much adrenaline and so much excitement and your family’s out there that you just don't necessarily pause and feel that ovation. So just maybe a little bit of a nudge in that direction.”

“It was pretty cool for Kap to say, ‘Take this moment in,’” Harrison said. “And so I did. And it was awesome.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/jasson-domingu ... ees-callup

“The Martian” is about to land in “Space City.”

Jasson Domínguez will be promoted from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday and should make his Major League debut during the Yankees’ upcoming series against the Astros in Houston, a source told MLB.com. The club has not confirmed the move.

Domínguez, 20, is rated as the Yankees’ No. 2 prospect and MLB’s No. 78 overall prospect by MLB Pipeline. The Yankees are also planning to promote catcher Austin Wells, the organization’s No. 8 prospect according to MLB Pipeline.

One of the most celebrated international prospects in recent memory, the switch-hitting Domínguez has enjoyed a strong Minor League campaign, recently earning a promotion to Triple-A. Through his first nine games for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Domínguez batted .419 (13-for-31) with three doubles, a triple and 10 RBIs.

Domínguez opened the season with Double-A Somerset, where he compiled a .254/.367/.414 slash line with 15 homers, 66 RBIs and 37 stolen bases in 109 games.

“I'm in the camp that I think he's going to be a really good player in this league,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said this past weekend in St. Petersburg, Fla. “He's a really special talent. After getting off to a little bit of a slow start this year in Double-A, he's really played well here over the last few months.

“He's a guy that obviously impacts the ball and is athletic and can run, but I liked the fact that at a very young age, he really controls the strike zone. Hopefully that's something that, when he does get up here, will really be something that serves him well.”

The 5-foot-9, 190-pound Domínguez drew comparisons to Bo Jackson, Mickey Mantle and Mike Trout before signing for $5.1 million out of the Dominican Republic, where he earned the nickname “The Martian” because of his otherworldly tools.

Domínguez turned heads in an impressive Spring Training, during which the youngest player in camp belted four homers in 11 Grapefruit League games. At that time, Boone suggested that he could envision a scenario in which Domínguez made a big league impact during the 2023 season.

Word of Domínguez’s pending promotion comes after the Yankees placed center fielder Harrison Bader on waivers this week, a move that could relocate Bader to a contender while clearing the position for Domínguez.

The Yankees have responded to their dim postseason chances by injecting youth, promoting infielder Oswald Peraza and outfielder Everson Pereira to join rookie shortstop Anthony Volpe in recent days. Now, Domínguez and Wells are on deck to be next in line.

Wells, 24, was the Yanks’ first-round pick in the 2020 MLB Draft and should get a look behind the plate, joining catchers Kyle Higashioka and Ben Rortvedt. In 96 games at three levels of the Yanks’ system this season (including 33 at Triple-A), Wells has batted .240/.333/.442 with 17 homers and 72 RBIs.

Boone said on Wednesday in Detroit that Wells has shown enough during his Minor League career to suggest that he can remain as a catcher long-term.

“I think there's been enough progress that we want to continue to see what he's capable of back there,” Boone said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/hottest-hittin ... e-coverage

Yankees: Jasson Domínguez, OF (No. 2/MLB No. 78)
The Martian moved up to Triple-A on Aug. 22, and the 20-year-old somehow hit even better (.444/.531/.593), prompting an anticipated arrival to the big league lineup, which reportedly will come this weekend in Houston. Not only is Domínguez hitting the ball hard -- his 91.6 mph average exit velocity ranks 21st in the International League among hitters with at least 30 plate appearances -- he also has nearly as many walks (14) as strikeouts (19) over the past month.
Braves

Post by Braves »

Another from MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-who- ... e-coverage

3B Tyler Black, MIL (MLB No. 55)
The Brewers have already called up highly rated prospects Joey Wiemer and Sal Frelick this year, and Black hasn’t seemed overmatched since a promotion to Triple-A in early August, walking more than he’s struck out and posting a .372 OBP in 19 games for Nashville. But he’s playing mostly third base at Triple-A, and there might not be a clear lane to the Majors with Andruw Monasterio holding down the hot corner adequately in Milwaukee. That said, Black’s top tools and approach should translate pretty quickly in the bigs, and he brings defensive experience at three infield positions and two outfield spots. He could provide value to Milwaukee as a versatile bench option with some pop.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's The Call Up: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... ees-debut/

The Situation: Here’s a weird sentence: The Yankees are out of playoff contention and will use the September roster expansion to give some MLB experience to some of their top prospects. So joining the team will be Jasson Domínguez. You may have heard of him.

The Background: Domínguez was signed by the Yankees for a franchise record $5.1 million bonus as part of their 2019 J2 class. Limited to Tricky League games after signing and then unable to participate in much, if any baseball activities in 2020, Domínguez finally made his pro debut in 2021. Assigned to extended spring training, then the complex league briefly, then A-ball, he slashed .252/.353/.379. He was, quite frankly, overmatched by Florida State League pitching, swinging at more or less anything, but generating the kind of top end power you’d expect given the scouting report when he signed. Domínguez made significant strides in a return engagement in Tampa in 2022 as a 19-year-old. He hit the ball harder, expanded the zone far less, and made more overall contact. He was even better after a promotion to Hudson Valley, but scuffled at the end of the season in Double-A, an admittedly aggressive promotion for the 19-year-old. All told he slashed .273/.376/.461 with 16 home runs in 120 minor league games. That progress at a young age bumped him back onto our Top 101 at number 63, coming into this season. Domínguez struggled in the first half back in the Eastern League, a too-passive approach saw him drawing walks, but getting into too many bad counts to do consistent damage at the plate. He started to heat up in the summer months, making more consistent hard contact, and lifting the ball more—especially from the left side of the plate. He earned a promotion to Triple-A and had a very good series against the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, earning his promotion to the Bronx shortly after.

The Scouting Report: Putting aside the post-signing hype, the Mike Trout comps, and the baseball card speculation, four years on, Domínguez is a good outfield prospect, but fairly standard issue back half of the Top 101 type—where basically everyone has ranked him once he started playing in real games. He’s filled out well past his listed 190 pounds at this point, but retained enough flexibility and straight line speed to play a perfectly adequate center field, for now. He goes gap to gap well, but can be a bit shaky on the ball over his head, not uncommon for an outfielder with his still limited game experience. You probably care a bit less about the defensive report than what he can do at the plate right now. Fair enough.

Domínguez still has a few of the more common young power hitter developmental issues to work through. He has the requisite stomp and lift swing, above-average bat speed, and downright stupid physical strength to hit the ball out of the park even when he doesn’t get the fat part of the bat on the ball, but his pitch rec is still a bit rough and he’s vulnerable at the bottom of the zone, especially against better velocity. He’s going to whiff or make topped contact against better stuff there, but if you miss up even a little, he can do a lot of damage from both sides of the plate. The left-handed swing is tapping into more power at present, although there isn’t a huge split. It can be difficult to gauge exactly what Domínguez is at present given how he’s jumped levels fairly aggressively throughout his pro career, but the present contact quality suggests at least plus power while the approach and contact rates suggest an average hit tool. That’s a nice player in center field and a regular if he has to move to a corner, with some upside past that if the power stroke continues to develop.

Immediate Big-League Future: I assume Domínguez is up to play, seems silly to cost him three more weeks of everyday reps in Triple-A otherwise. There really isn’t much to glean from how he does while the Yanks play out the stretch. He probably should get a fair bit of consolidation time in Scranton next year, but the one thing you can be sure of is however he plays for the balance of the season, the takes will be immediate and immediately hot. —Jeffrey Paternostro

Fantasy Impact: Dominguez will be buzzy, no doubt, but with the season winding down his impact (like any September call-up) is likely going to be minimized because he won’t have time to make adjustments. His bonkers cup of coffee at Triple-A is going to get folks into a lather but he’s been more of a solid (and very similar) player all the way up the ladder, and only recently started to dominate at Double-A.

That sounds like a back-handed compliment, but it’s not. He’s about as far along as you would expect a 20-year-old to be, it’s just that he’s a 20-year-old who hasn’t put on the show other top prospects have who have been promoted this aggressively. Eventually, he’ll round into a solid power-speed option, but not now. The main reason to be interested is if you really need the speed, regardless of league size, and figure the Yankees will let him run enough when he gets on. It’s reasonable to believe that will happen, given how they’ve let Anthony Volpe have at it. ⁠—Tim Jackson
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/jasson-domingu ... -verlander

HOUSTON -- Jasson Domínguez arrived in the big leagues sporting a boyish grin and tailed by impossible hype, already compared to some of the sport’s greatest outfielders before setting foot in the batter’s box. It took all of one swing to show why expectations are so high.

“The Martian” homered on his first swing in a Major League game, blasting an opposite-field two-run homer off likely future Hall of Famer Justin Verlander. Domínguez’s first-inning blast was one of four dingers that the Yankees hit off Verlander, powering a 6-2 victory over the Astros on Friday night at Minute Maid Park.

“I knew it was going to be a lot of different feelings, finally stepping on the field and my dream coming true right in front of me,” Domínguez said through an interpreter. “I was able to connect there for that hit, and it ended up being a homer. It’s probably the best game that I’ve been part of in my career.”

One of the most celebrated international prospects in recent memory, compared to Bo Jackson, Mickey Mantle and Mike Trout before signing his first pro contract, the 20-year-old Domínguez will now have an extended opportunity to forge his path as the Yanks’ starting center fielder.

“You can’t help but notice his skills anytime you get to see him in person,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “Look, it’s one game, but you get a peek tonight why a lot of us are excited about him.”

Domínguez looked at a curveball for a called strike from Verlander, then was challenged with a 94.3 mph fastball across the heart of home plate. Domínguez stroked the ball into the Crawford Boxes in left field, a blast that came off his bat at 100.2 mph with a 26-degree launch angle, traveling a Statcast-projected 360 feet.

“I wasn’t expecting a curveball first pitch, for sure,” Domínguez said. “He caught me off guard there, first pitch. But we go to meetings and we prepare. I stuck to my plan there.”

Said Verlander: “First time facing him, he was cat and mouse, trying to figure him out and he’s trying to figure me out. I think the first thing you’ve got to figure out is, 'Where does he like to hit the ball?' Apparently, right where I threw it.”

Domínguez said he had “a lot of family” in the stands for Friday’s game, including his parents, aunts and uncles. They cheered wildly as Domínguez rounded the bases, as did Domínguez’s teammates in the dugout.

“We were jumping up and down like little kids,” Aaron Judge said. “It’s just impressive. I’m excited for him. We just felt a different energy on the bus coming to the field today. Just a little bit of excitement, a little bit of jitters. It was, all in all, a good day.”

At 20 years and 206 days, Domínguez is the youngest Yankee to homer in his first big league at-bat, and the first to do so since Tyler Austin and Judge went back-to-back on Aug. 13, 2016. He is also the fifth-youngest player in AL/NL history to homer in his first at-bat.

“He’s going to remember that for the rest of his life,” Giancarlo Stanton said. “He just seems comfortable. Nothing seems to faze him. He knows he deserves to be here, and should be here.”

Yankees security retrieved the ball for Domínguez, who said that he would give the keepsake to his mom. It was the second homer surrendered in the inning by Verlander, who also allowed a leadoff drive to DJ LeMahieu.

Stanton rattled the glass windows with a two-run homer in the third inning, and Judge struck the train above the left-field wall for his 250th career home run in the fifth. Judge is the fastest player ever to reach that plateau in terms of games played (810).

“It’s great; I really don’t think about it too much,” Judge said. “Doing it in a win means more.”

Yankees catcher Austin Wells also notched his first Major League hit, a second-inning single off Verlander.

“I had to make sure I looked up,” Wells said. “I saw my family and saw them going crazy. That was pretty cool.”

Carlos Rodón navigated five innings of two-run ball, earning his second win as a Yankee. Boone said that the lefty, guided by Wells’ game-calling, showed the best stuff he has had through nine starts with the club, a statement that Rodón agreed with.

But this night belonged to the kids, with the Yankees starting four players age 23 and under (Domínguez, Everson Pereira, Oswald Peraza and Anthony Volpe) for the first time since September 1969.

“You’re always looking for the right mixture of youth and veterans, and when you get that blend right, it can be special,” Boone said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... old-spell/

Hitter of the Day:
Jacob Amaya, SS, Miami Marlins (Triple-A Jacksonville): 3-4, 4 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, BB.
Prior to Tuesday evening’s offensive outburst, Amaya had been mired in a nearly month-long slump, hitting just .208 since the beginning of August. If the turn around is for real, it might be coming at the right time for the Marlins, who are currently a half-game out of the third wild card spot. He got a brief cup of coffee with the big-league club in June and might be called upon again to provide infield depth for Miami as they fight to get in the playoffs.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/september-2023 ... e-coverage

1. Triston Casas, 1B, Red Sox (previous rank: 1): Holding on to the top spot for the second month in a row is Casas, whose performance not only elevated him into the Rookie of the Year conversation, but also is a big reason why Boston is six games over .500 and still in the hunt for the final Wild Card spot. The 23-year-old posted a 1.019 OPS over his past 27 games and he's been slotted into the Red Sox cleanup spot in the order.

9. Davis Schneider, INF/OF, Blue Jays (previously unranked): The aforementioned Schneider is only 18 games into his Major League career, but boy has he made them count. The 24-year-old went yard in his big league debut, homered again two games later and already has a three-game homer streak that turned into four in five games in late August. His 1.330 OPS leads all rookies with at least 15 games played over the past month, and we haven't even mentioned the legendary 'stache that is becoming its own phenomenon north of the border.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... roduction/

4. Owen Caissie, OF, Cubs
Team: Double-A Tennessee (Southern)
Why He’s Here: .471/.526/.765 (8-for-17), 3 R, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 2 BB, 2 SO, 1-for-1 SB
The Scoop: When the Southern League used the experimental, pre-tacked baseball, Caissie struck out 105 times in 310 plate appearances (33.8%). Since the regular, mud-rubbed ball was put back in play on July 14, he has struck out 59 times in 218 plate appearances (27.1%). In other words, there’s more Joy in Cubville, because the Mighty Caissie hasn’t struck out as often. He’s also one of 11 players 21 years old or younger who have hit 20 or more home runs while playing exclusively at the upper levels of the minor leagues. (JN)

​​8. Niko Kavadas, 1B, Red Sox
Team: Triple-A Worcester (International)
Why He’s Here: .316/.435/.790 (6-for-19), 4 R, 0 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 8 RBIs, 4 BB, 7 SO, 1-for-1 SB
The Scoop: Kavadas has struggled this season following his breakout 2022 campaign, but the lefthanded masher is at least finishing the year on a high note. Kavadas hit three homers in Worcester’s series against Syracuse last week, including hitting two home runs in the series opener and a critical three-run blast in the series finale to help the Red Sox pull away. Overall Kavadas is batting .250/.327/.614 with five home runs and 12 RBIs in 13 games in September, his highest batting average, best OPS and most home runs in a month since May. (KG)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's Heat Check: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... rvis-cubs/

Maddux Bruns, LHP, Los Angeles Dodgers (High-A Great Lakes): 7 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 11 K. Season Stats (Low-A, High-A): 97 IP, 3.99 ERA, 67 BB, 126 K.
Bruns has been instrumental in Great Lakes’ run to the Midwest League Championship Series, allowing just one hit in an elimination game against Fort Wayne. Like many Dodgers prospects, he features electric stuff and less than ideal command. There’s still work to be done to smooth out the delivery, but huge gains were made this season, and if Bruns continues to develop he could be the next big arm for Los Angeles.

Kameron Misner, OF, Tampa Bay Rays (Triple-A Durham): .370 (10-27), 9 R, 5 HR, 9 RBI, 11 BB, 9 K, 2 SB.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -the-year/

Typically, the Guardians’ front office prioritizes flexibility each November, trading away players who would need to occupy a 40-man roster spot or else become Rule 5 draft eligible.

They made an exception for 21-year-old second baseman Juan Brito.

Cleveland traded power-hitting outfielder Nolan Jones to the Rockies last November to acquire Brito, who was coming off a breakthrough season at Low-A Fresno. The Guardians added Brito to the 40-man roster on Nov. 15, 2022.

The switch-hitting infielder split the 2023 season between High-A Lake County and Double-A Akron. In 122 games he hit .273/.375/.439 with 14 home runs and six stolen bases. He ranked third in the Eastern League with a .817 OPS.

“Brito has transitioned well to our organization and has displayed a work ethic and desire to get better every day,” Guardians assistant general manager James Harris said.

Brito appears to be the latest prospect in a crowded field of emerging Guardians middle infielders that includes Gabriel Arias and Tyler Freeman, who debuted in 2022; and Brayan Rocchio and Jose Tena, who made their MLB debuts this season.

Brito could be next. His primary position is second base, but he made more than a dozen starts at third base and shortstop this season.

“In addition, he has added arm strength in season that he will continue to develop during the offseason,” Harris said. “Currently, second base is his best position, but the added arm strength will make him a good option for us at third base as well.”

In addition to his versatility, Brito has nice secondary skills at the plate. He draws walks at a high rate (13.5%), makes a lot of contact (15.7% strikeouts) and shows good power for a young middle infielder.

“As a switch-hitter, he has demonstrated an elite skill to make contact and has shown the ability to hit the ball hard at productive angles,” Harris said. “He is slightly more powerful hitting lefthanded but has improved his swing decisions—and contact is his trademark.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

Every contending team needs a pleasant surprise, and Davis Schneider sure has provided one for the Blue Jays.

The 24-year-old second baseman began the year well down the organizational depth chart, but he took Triple-A Buffalo by storm. After four months of damage there, he forced his callup to Toronto on Aug. 4.

Schneider had an MLB debut to remember when he took James Paxton deep at Fenway Park in his first at-bat. The 5-foot-9 righthanded hitter just kept slugging, and through 30 big league games had batted .297/.423/.654 with eight home runs.

It was a continuation of Schneider’s breakthrough at Triple-A. He hit .275/.416/.553 with 21 homers and 72 walks in 87 games for Buffalo. He started games at second base, left field, third base and first base.

“It’s a tremendous story,” Blue Jays farm director Joe Sclafani said. “First, it’s just perseverance. He’s a tough kid, never put his head down, always did things the right way, regardless of whether he was playing every day or not.

“He won over every manager with the way that he played, to the point where they wanted to play him more. Once he turned the corner, he never looked back. And it’s just really special to see what he’s doing.”

The Blue Jays drafted Schneider in the 28th round in 2017 out of Eastern High in Voorhees, N.J. He began turning the corner during the pandemic shutdown in 2020. He built strength that better leveraged his underlying offensive base of elite strike-zone control, smart pitch selection and a strong swing path.

Schneider showed enhanced power with High-A Vancouver in 2021 and with Double-A New Hampshire in 2022 to set the stage for his 2023 breakthrough.

“Pitchers are going to make mistakes, no matter what level you’re at,” Schneider said. “Knowing that going into an at-bat . . . either middle (of the plate) or a pitch away a little bit, having that confidence in me when I go up to the plate is pretty big.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

Owen Caissie wanted to avoid replicating his start from 2022.

The outfielder spent that season at High-A South Bend, where he struggled to get going and was unsatisfied with his early results.

Beyond the increase in competition, jumping to Double-A Tennessee in 2023 also meant dealing with the pre-tacked baseball in play in the Southern League in the first half. That proved to be a boon for pitchers and a bane for hitters.

When the dust settled, Caissie had put together the best season in the organization.

“It was really impressive,” Cubs vice president of player development Jared Banner said. “He came into camp ready to go and got off to that fast start. He wanted to build some momentum and prove to himself that he was ready for that level.

“And he hasn’t slowed down—he’s only gotten better.”

Caissie’s stellar April became the foundation for one of the top offensive seasons in the Cubs’ system, all while doing it as one of the youngest players in Double-A. Caissie, who turned 21 in July, faced a pitcher younger than himself in just 10 of his 518 plate appearances.

The lefthanded hitter finished with a .289/.399/.519 batting line with 22 home runs and 31 doubles in 120 games.

The Cubs acquired Caissie from the Padres in the December 2020 trade that sent Yu Darvish to the Padres. The organization believes the 6-foot-3 Caissie, a San Diego second-round pick out of an Ontario high school in 2020, still has more power potential as he continues to physically mature.

After striking out nearly 38% of the time through May, Caissie showed a better eye and swing decisions as the season progressed. He cut down on his strikeout rate and in September posted nine walks and 14 strikeouts in 59 plate appearances.

“I attribute it to his awareness and just adjusting to a new level,” Banner said. “He’s been producing the whole time, but I think he wasn’t happy with the amount of strikeouts and he wanted to make that adjustment.

“Seeing more pitches and improving his approach has really been fruitful.”

Return to “The Brave Blue Ballers”