Down on the Farm - 2023

Brandon Brown's Blog

Moderator: Braves

Braves
Name: Brett Degen

Re: Down on the Farm - 2023

Post by Braves »

Might need to start a separate thread for The Martian....

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... e-weekend/

Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees—After an excellent season in 2022, Dominguez has delighted Yankees fans all spring. The 20-year-old outfielder socked his fourth home run of the spring over the weekend and is now tied with nine other players atop the spring leaderboard. The longball was one of two hits Dominguez collected in two games.

And from MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/new-york-yanke ... e-coverage

Camp standout: Jasson Domínguez
The hype train for Domínguez has been chugging ever since he signed for $5.1 million out of the Dominican Republic in July 2019, and this spring, it pulled into Major League camp for the first time. Now 20 years old, the switch-hitting outfielder ended his 2022 season on a hot note with three homers over a five-game postseason run at Double-A Somerset, only to cool off in the Arizona Fall League (.467 OPS in 20 games).

If early performance as a non-roster invitee is any indication for the Yankees' No. 2 prospect, that AFL run may have been strictly fatigue-based. Given the offseason to recharge, Domínguez has come flying out of the gate in Grapefruit League play, going 9-for-21 (.429) with more homers (four) than strikeouts (three) through his first ten games, showing major flashes of his potential as a power hitter with an improving ability to control the strike zone.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Spring Training Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-31423/

1. Josh Jung, 3B, Rangers
Why He’s Here: .417/.417/1.167 (5-for-12), 4 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 3 RBIs, 0 BB, 1 SO

The Scoop: The math with Jung is simple: When he’s on the field, he hits. After recovering from a shoulder injury suffered before last season, he blitzed Triple-A and made his big league debut. He ran into a bit of a rough patch in his big league debut but made some swing changes in the offseason and has come on strong in the spring. He’s 9-for-29 this spring with a pair of home runs.

9. Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees
Why He’s Here: .429/.500/1.286 (3-for-7), 2 R, 0 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 SO

The Scoop: The Yankees have gotten a ton of production from their top prospects this spring, and Dominguez’s outburst might be the most tantalizing. The 20-year-old’s four home runs not only lead the team, but also place him in an 11-way (!!!) tie for the top of the spring training leaderboard. He’ll get more upper-level experience this year and should have Yankees fans excited for the day he reaches the Bronx.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/miguel-bleis-i ... g-training

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- It hasn’t even been two weeks since his 19th birthday. If he eventually makes it to the Major Leagues -- because we’re still deep in the speculation stage -- 2025 or '26 might be the realistic time of his arrival.

But Monday afternoon at TD Ballpark provided some electric glances into what’s ahead for Red Sox outfielder Miguel Bleis, who earned his second Grapefruit League appearance and his first start of the spring. It also revealed a reminder that Bleis, while very talented, remains rough around the edges.

“You have very good emotions and that motivates you to keep working hard,’’ Bleis said through team interpreter Carlos Villoria. “I was very happy to get an opportunity to play here. They want to see me play and I just want to keep working hard.’’

Bleis, Boston’s No. 4 prospect per MLB Pipeline, turned heads with a two-out, two-run single off Blue Jays All-Star right-hander Alek Manoah, taking a two-strike fastball in on his hands and punching it the other way in the top of the second. The hit came after Bleis expertly turned a potential Toronto run into an out with a throw to the plate from right field.

In the bottom of the first, the Red Sox right fielder charged an Addison Barger RBI single and rifled a one-hopper to catcher Stephen Scott. The throw was so accurate, baserunner Brandon Belt tip-toed to a stop before being tagged out. Bleis also had a running, lunging catch on Whit Merrifield’s second-inning sinking liner.

But it wasn’t all roses. In the third frame, Bleis again charged a two-run single by Barger, but this time he played it carelessly. It skipped over his glove and allowed a third run to score, while Barger reached third. In the fourth, again facing Manoah, Bleis struck out swinging.

“That's why I don't get too excited, especially in the market where we play,’’ Red Sox manager Alex Cora said about Bleis. “He has a lot of great tools, no doubt. It seems like everybody knows everybody … and there’s a passion about the kids. But at the same time, I played with guys who were the second coming of whoever -- and they never panned out.

“In my mind, I have to be the one who stays calm and keeps it neutral instead of getting too excited. When they become big leaguers, they’re big leaguers. But there’s a process. … Just be patient. You’re going to go through ups and downs. When you’re up high, how will you act? When you’re down [low], how will you act? Be patient.’’

Bleis’ presence was a reprieve from the Red Sox’s 16-3 defeat, which featured two wind-aided home runs by Toronto’s Bo Bichette, one off No. 15 prospect Chris Murphy (who issued six walks in 15 batters faced) and another off fellow left-hander and No. 8 prospect Brandon Walter (who gave up four hits, three for extra bases, to his first four batters).

It was a day to forget for the pair.

“I think it comes down to me getting too fine,’’ Murphy said. “I think I fall victim to that when facing some good hitters. Definitely a learning experience.’’

“Just because it’s Spring Training, I still want to have success,’’ Walter said. “I have pride and want to do good every time I’m out there.’’

As Cora said to sum it up, “Murphy couldn’t throw strikes and Walter got hit hard. Bottom line: We want to throw strikes.’’

Murphy and Walter remain in the hunt for spots with the Red Sox or in Triple-A Worcester.

Meanwhile, that level is still in the distance for Bleis, who is ultimately viewed as an everyday center fielder with five-tool potential. He’s already 6-foot-3 and 170 pounds with above-average running ability and bat speed. In 2021, at 16, Bleis was signed as an international free agent out of San Pedro de Macoris in the Dominican Republic to a $1.5 million bonus.

Last season, Bleis tore up the Florida Complex League, batting .301 and slugging .543 with an .896 OPS. He had 14 doubles, four triples, five home runs, 27 RBIs, 28 runs scored, 18 stolen bases, 10 walks and 45 strikeouts in 40 games and 167 plate appearances for the Red Sox’s Rookie League affiliate. He also had five outfield assists.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... n-florida/

Triston Casas, 1B, Red Sox — Boston's hulking first baseman continued his excellent spring with a solid day at the plate against the Rays. The No. 28 prospect in the game went 1-for-3 with a run scored. His single came in the first inning against Tampa Bay starter Evan McKendry. He's 13-for-34 this spring with three doubles and two home runs.

Connor Thomas, LHP, Cardinals — After an excellent Arizona Fall League campaign (1-0, 1.75 with 34 strikeouts against just five walks), Thomas found that same stellar form again on Wednesday against the Mets. The lefty spun four shutout innings with two strikeouts, two hits—both singles—and no walks. Both of his punchouts were of established big leaguers; he got Tommy Pham swinging and Starling Marte looking.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's 25 Players Standing out in Spring Training: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -training/

Edward Cabrera, RHP, Marlins

Cabrera took a step forward in his second season in the majors last year and went 6-4, 3.01 in 14 starts while lowering his rates of hits, home runs and walks allowed per nine innings. He made quick work of the Nationals in each of his first two starts this spring, notably showing improved pitch efficiency by needing just 60 pitches to get through five innings.

Scout’s Take: “Edward Cabrera has looked really good to me. At least a 70 change, commanded the fastball a lot better than last year and then showed some cleverness with the curveball, too. He looks like he has No. 2-type stuff, for sure. It’s arguably No. 1-type stuff, but the command kind of holds him back from that. But he does look like an impact guy for sure. A couple of scouts, we were talking the other day and ranking guys that we’ve seen the last few weeks. We’d seen Cabrera, MacKenzie Gore, Cade Cavalli and Hunter Brown. Cabrera was No. 1. There was a lot of consensus on Cabrera. It’s top-of-the-rotation stuff.”

Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees

“The Martian” has faced extraordinary hype since he signed for $5.1 million as a highly-touted teenager. While he understandably hasn’t fulfilled unrealistic expectations, he still reached Double-A in his age-19 season last year and showed a promising combination of power, speed and plate discipline. He continued to build on those foundational skills this spring and hit .455 (10 for 22) with four home runs and nine RBIs in 11 games before being reassigned to minor league camp on Thursday.

Scout’s Take: “Every time I see him, it just looks like it's better and better. I think it's worth appreciating that the hype is ridiculous. He should never be hyped like that. But at the same time, I think he’s gonna be a good player. The times I've seen him, he barrels balls. He got a center-cut fastball the other day and just hit it so viciously that it was impressive. It was a pitch that he should never miss and he didn’t, to his credit. I think he's going to be a good player. I don't think he can be Mike Trout. But I think he can be a pretty good player.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Spring Training Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-32123/

6. Josh Jung, 3B, Rangers
Why He’s Here: .444/.500/1.000 (4-for-9), 2 R, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 1 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Jung struggled a bit in his first big league stint, then went back to the lab in the offseason and made some swing changes. So far, so good. The mashing corner infielder has lived up to the reputation this spring with three home runs and a 1.135 OPS. Even if he moves off of third base, he has the bat to profile at first base or a corner outfield spot.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Top Rookies for 2023: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -for-2023/

7. Triston Casas
Team: Red Sox Age: 23 Pos: 1B

Casas missed two months with a sprained ankle last season, but he still forced his way to the majors and hit five home runs with nearly as many walks (19) as strikeouts (23) in his debut. The hulking first baseman possesses elite strike-zone discipline and enormous power and will soon be a force in the middle of Boston’s lineup.

32: Extra-base hits, including 11 home runs, by Casas in just 72 games for Triple-A Worcester last season.

8. Josh Jung
Team: Rangers Age: 25 Pos: 3B

Jung has been hampered by injuries, including a stress fracture in his left foot in 2021 and a torn labrum in his left shoulder in 2022, but he still reached the majors after just 153 career minor league games. The gifted hitter boasts impressive bat speed and plus raw power and is ready to be an impact hitter in the Rangers’ lineup.

.919: Jung’s career OPS in the minor leagues—he has played the most at Triple-A—despite repeated injuries.

9. Hunter Brown
Team: Astros Age: 24 Pos: RHP

The hard-throwing but wild Brown found his control last year and surged to the majors, where he posted a 0.89 ERA and earned a spot on the Astros’ postseason roster. His 96-100 mph fastball, low-90s slider and mid-80s power curveball give him the stuff to dominate as a starter as long as he maintains his control gains.

95.9 mph: The velocity of Brown’s hardest slider last season, in miles per hour, second-fastest in the majors.
Braves

Post by Braves »

A few days past due, but from BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... -outfield/

Hitter of the Weekend:
Nolan Jones, OF, Colorado Rockies (Triple-A Albuquerque): 4-9, 2 HR, 5 BB, 3 K.
I’m not going to tell you that Nolan Jones should consider hiding something Charlie Blackmon is mildly allergic to in his beard so that he can’t stop sneezing for a few days and has to go on the IL, or hire a hypnotist to convince Yonathan Daza to pursue a fulfilling career in graphic design, or shrink Mike Moustakas’ jersey infinitesimally each day until it drives him mad. That would be irresponsible, and potentially legally and morally dubious. But I won’t say it would be a negative for the Rockies if they allowed Jones the chance to try and hit at the only level of professional ball at which he’s yet to excel, instead of playing mediocre veterans at almost every position he could otherwise occupy.

Blaze Alexander, INF, Diamondbacks (Triple-A Reno): 2-4, 3B, HR, BB, 2 K, SB.
While Masyn Winn and Oneil Cruz have stolen his thunder, Alexander is still among the most potent arms in any system when it comes to infielders. After a couple years of treading water offensively in hitter-friendly parks, Alexander had a breakout in 2022 and is pushing to join Arizona’s wave of compelling youngsters.

Robert Moore, UTIL, Brewers (High-A Wisconsin): 2-4, 2B, HR, BB, K.
Moore spent the winter terrorizing catchers and pitchers in the Australian Baseball League. He has hardly missed a beat stateside this spring.
Braves

Post by Braves »

And from BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-41123/

2. Nolan Jones, OF/3B, Rockies
Team: Triple-A Albuquerque (Pacific Coast)

Why He’s Here: .353/.476/.941 (12-for-34) 11 R, 2 2B, 6 HR, 13 RBIs, 7 BB, 9 SO.

The Scoop: Picking up Jones last offseason when the Guardians needed to clear 40-man roster space is exactly the kind of move the Rockies should be making. Jones has been a Top 100 prospect in the past, and at his best he’s shown he can hit for average and hit 15-20 home runs as well. He’s currently second in the minors with six home runs, and overall he still looks like a solid hitter with decent pop. Jones is unlikely to turn into a star, but the Rockies could use a hitter who can play four spots (left and right field, first and third base) and has a plus-plus arm. (JC)

9. Peyton Burdick, OF, Marlins
Team: Triple-A Jacksonville (International)

Why He’s Here: .286/.306/.714 (10-for-35), 8 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 4 HR, 10 RBIs, 1 BB, 15 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: The early portion of the 2023 season is the perfect encapsulation of Burdick. He has big-time power (his four home runs leave him tied for first place in the International League) but also big-time swing-and-miss. His 15 strikeouts are tied with former Marlins teammate Kam Misner for second in the International League. Until and unless he can make more contact, he’s likely an up-and-down outfielder. (JN)

11. Osleivis Basabe, SS/2B, Rays
Team: Triple-A Durham (International)

Why He’s Here: .355/.355/.548 (11-for-31), 5 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 7 RBIs, 0 BB, 4 SO

The Scoop: Basabe came over from the Rangers in the deal that sent Nate Lowe to the Rangers. He’s a player who hits the ball hard and often and showed both traits early in the season. The way his swing works leads evaluators to believe he won’t have a ton of power but can still pepper the ball around the outfield while providing value on defense as well, even if it’s not necessarily at shortstop. (JN)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-41823/

9. Peyton Burdick, OF, Marlins
Team: Triple-A Jacksonville (International)

Why He’s Here: .455/.571/.909 (10-for-22), 7 R, 1 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 5 RBIs, 6 BB, 8 SO, 2-for-2 SB

The Scoop: Burdick showed off his true self last week, putting up a three true outcomes line that was indicative of his style of play. He reached base in all six games and struck out at least once in all but one game. His combination of power and speed was on display as he slugged three home runs and stole two bases. His signature game came on Wednesday when he slugged a pair of solo home runs and stole a base. At 26 years old and with 32 games of major league service time under his belt, Burdick should be back in the big leagues soon. (GP)

16. Brady House, 3B, Nationals
Team: Low-A Fredericksburg (South Atlantic)

Why He’s Here: .400/.625/1.000 (4-for-10), 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 6 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-2 SB

The Scoop: After an injury-plagued 2022 saw House drop off of the Top 100 Prospects list, early feedback in spring training indicated that House was back in top form, and last week the production matched the buzz. House reached base in all four games last week and had an extra-base hit in three out of the four games. Part of the historic high school shortstop class that included Jordan Lawlar, Marcelo Mayer, Kahlil Watson and Jackson Merrill, among others, House has the ability to hit for as much, if not more, power than anyone among that group. A move over to third base suits his body and skill set, and he should fit in nicely as a prototypical power-hitting third baseman with on-base skills. (GP)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... week-5223/

12. Kyle Harrison, LHP, Giants
Team: Triple-A Sacramento (Pacific Coast)

Why He’s Here: 0-0, 2.70, 6.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 8 BB, 15 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: Harrison has had an unusual start to the season, limited to three- or four-inning starts with Sacramento due in large part to his lack of command. Last week Harrison showed his upside, striking out 51.7% of the batters he faced. Unfortunately, that came with a 27.6% walk rate and limited how deep Harrison could go in either of his turns. Across the two starts he generated 15 whiffs, nine against his fastball and six against his slider. Harrison’s difficult angle from the left side makes him hard to barrel and allows his fastball and slider combination to keep hitters off balance. It’s just a matter of Harrison finding the strike zone with greater frequency. (GP)

14. Denzel Clarke, OF, Athletics
Team: Double-A Midland (Texas)

Why He’s Here: .500/.579/1.438 (8-for-16), 9 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 4 HR, 9 RBIs, 3 BB, 5 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Clarke began the season on the injured list with a shoulder strain and didn’t debut until last week, but he made his presence felt very, very quickly. Clarke introduced himself to the Texas League with two home runs and five RBIs in his season debut against Corpus Christi on April 25. He followed with two doubles and a homer the next night, doubled again in his third game and finished the series by going 3-for-5 with a double and a homer in the finale. The uber-athletic outfielder showed signs of offensive progress in the Arizona Fall League, and his hot start at Double-A is certainly an encouraging development. (KG)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... eek-53123/

2. Tyler Locklear, 1B, Mariners
Team: High-A Everett (Northwest)

Why He’s Here: .448/.543/.759 (13-for-29), 7 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR, 7 RBIs, 4 BB, 9 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Locklear is known primarily for his huge power, but he’s showing he’s much more than just a one-dimensional slugger. The 2022 second-round pick recorded multiple hits in five of eight games last week to continue his exceptional start to his first full season. He is batting .322/.423/.592 with 14 doubles, 11 home runs and 37 RBIs in 46 games for the AquaSox. While Locklear is certainly benefitting from playing his home games at hitter-friendly Funko Field, he also has an .893 OPS on the road playing primarily in pitcher-friendly parks. (KG).

9. Kyle Harrison, LHP, Giants
Team: Triple-A Sacramento (Pacific Coast)

Why He’s Here: 0-0, 0.00, 7.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 14 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: After a rocky start, Harrison seems to have gotten a handle on the competition at Triple-A. The hitter-friendly environment in the PCL can do a number on pitchers in normal circumstances, but this year’s added wrinkle is the automatic ball-strike system (ABS) which has been in play all year, meaning a tighter strike zone than might normally be called by human umpires. In the first month of the season, Harrison walked 21 in 15.2 innings. In May, he’s issued 10 free passes in 18.2 innings while striking out 34. He’s rung up 61 hitters despite not pitching past the fourth inning in any of his 11 starts. (JN)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... week-6623/

1. Matt Wallner, OF, Twins
Team: Triple-A St. Paul (International)

Why He’s Here: .423/.483/1.000 (11-for-26) 9 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 10 RBIs, 1 BB, 5 SO.

The Scoop: Wallner was actually up with the Twins the week before this week’s Hot Sheet, and he managed to go 6-for-6 with two walks and a home run in his final two games with the Twins before his demotion. So how do you top reaching base in eight straight plate appearances in the majors? Wallner tried to do it by torching Buffalo in a six-game series. He grounded into a double play in his first plate appearance on Tuesday to halt his streak, but he then doubled, tripled and homer to fall a single short of the cycle. Wallner’s strikeout rates are always concerning, but he hits the ball extremely hard and is a solid right fielder. (JC)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ek-7-6-23/

14. Matt Wallner, OF, Twins

Team: Triple-A St. Paul (International)

Why He’s Here: .391/.417/.783 (9-for-23), 8 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 BB, 6 SO

The Scoop: The Twins seemingly have a never-ending supply of lefthanded-hitting outfielders. That has resulted in few Twin Cities auditions for Wallner, who has but 90 MLB plate appearances the past two seasons. A longer runway could be in the future for Wallner, who hits the ball as hard as virtually any minor league hitter.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ect-stock/

Nearly a year to the day Brady House’s season ended in 2022, the 20-year-old third baseman earned a promotion to High-A Wilmington.

After a back injury cut short his 2022 season, House was typically playing four days per week this summer. In his first 12 games at High-A, he hit .354/.392/.625 with three home runs for Wilmington, which plays at a notorious pitcher’s park.

“He hit one to straightaway center (on June 22) for his first home run with them, but he could have so many more most places,” Nationals farm director De Jon Watson said.

“I was there last week, and he hit three that would’ve been out of the park (at Low-A Fredericksburg). One was a double, one was run down (by an outfielder) and the other one was a long single because the baserunner had to hold up.”

Watson praised House’s work in batting practice, particularly his adjustments at hitting toward the middle of the field and at backspinning the ball.

House, the 11th pick in the 2021 draft out of high school in Winder, Ga., was a sensation in Rookie ball in his draft year and then again early in his full-season debut at Fredericksburg. Through his first 36 games last year, House hit .296/.370/.504 with six homers.

But that’s when a back injury—and later a bout with Covid struck—and House’s production flat-lined. Back in Fredericksburg to start this season, he hit a strikingly similar .297/.369/.500 with six homers in 36 games. His walk rate rose from 5.9% to 10.1%. His strikeout rate fell from 29.1% to 21.5%.

“I don’t think he had a bad year last year,” Watson said. “His body just broke down on him.”

The Nationals are managing House’s workload while he moves from shortstop to third base. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound House has an above-average arm, and he is working with infield coordinator Cody Ransom on his new position.

“His reads and jumps are so much better,” Watson said. “He’s laying out for balls to his left and showing a lot of range when the shortstop is up the middle on a lefthanded hitter. He’s scooting well to both sides.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

And another BA piece: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... gh-system/

The Guardians liked second baseman Juan Brito so much that they committed a 40-man roster spot to him last November, at a time when roster space was at a premium and the fifth-year pro had not yet advanced past Low-A.

Cleveland acquired Brito in a Nov. 15 trade that sent Nolan Jones to the Rockies. Colorado had signed Brito out of the Dominican Republic in 2018.

The 21-year-old Brito is already at his second level in the Cleveland system. He started the season at High-A Lake County, and after 35 games was promoted to Double-A Akron, where his numbers improved across the board.

In his first 31 games for Akron, Brito hit .306/.389/.460 with four homers.

“He has been a top performer in our system and has shown the ability to make good swing decisions and consistent contact, which has allowed him to identify pitches that he can drive,” Guardians assistant general manager James Harris said.

The 5-foot-11, 202-pound Brito knows the strike zone. Through 65 total games this season, he had drawn 41 walks against 44 strikeouts. His career minor league on-base percentage hovered near .400.

“We’ve seen occasional power that excites us,” Harris said, “but his signature is putting the ball in play. He prepares through advance and early work, and takes that preparation into the game.”

Where Brito eventually settles defensively is still to be determined. He has played mostly second base this season but has pro experience at shortstop and third base.

“His athleticism, game awareness and work ethic has shown since joining our organization, and his arm strength is trending in the right direction,” Harris said.

Brito is a key member of the organization’s upper-level middle infield depth that also includes Gabriel Arias, Brayan Rocchio and Tyler Freeman.

“He’s a hard worker and a great teammate,” Harris said. “He spends extra time with our Double-A staff working on all aspects of his physical and mental game.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

Quick snippet from FG's Sunday Notes: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-note ... k-with-it/

Robert Gasser leads all Triple-A pitchers in strikeouts with 95. Acquired by the Milwaukee Brewers from the San Diego Padres in last summer’s Josh Hader trade, the 24-year-old left-hander has a 3.94 ERA and a 3.84 FIP in 80 innings with the Nashville Sounds. Gasser was featured here at FanGraphs a few weeks before the deadline deal went down.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ek-8-1-23/

8. Osleivis Basabe, SS, Rays
Team: Triple-A Durham (International)

Why He’s Here: .379/.400/.621 (11-for-29), 5 R, 5 2B, 1 3B, 10 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 SO, 2 SB.

The Scoop: The Rays farm system isn’t as deep as it was a couple of years ago, but it’s still loaded with pure hitters at the upper levels of the system. Basabe may not be a better hitter than Jonathan Aranda or Curtis Mead, but he’s got an above-average bat, and unlike his Triple-A teammates, Basabe can capably play second and third base and can even handle shortstop in a pinch. (JC)
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Prospect Report: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... es-out-11/

Owen Caissie, OF, Cubs: Caissie has some of the best raw power in the Cubs system and it was on full display on Tuesday. The 21-year-old hit a pair of solo homers and singled in Double-A Tennessee’s win over Chattanooga. Caissie ranks first in the Southern League in homers (20) and is tied for third in RBIs (67).

And from BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... s-orioles/

Owen Caissie, OF, Chicago Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 3-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI.
It was suspected the power would eventually play for Caissie, but few expected it to play in-game this soon. His elite exit velocities and physical strength have helped to produce career-high home run and slugging numbers in just 85 Double-A games. Caissie was especially hot in July, slashing .325/.469/.623 during the month. The strikeout rate continues to be a little too high, hovering just north of 30%, but there’s no doubt that the pop is for real.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -rotation/

While Astros general manager Dana Brown tried to fortify the defending World Series champions at the Aug. 2 trade deadline, several prospective trade partners expressed interest in Double-A Corpus Christi lefthander Colton Gordon.

The Astros ultimately sent two of their best outfield prospects to the Mets for Justin Verlander after trading catcher Korey Lee to the White Sox for reliever Kendall Graveman.

“Gordon’s a pretty good arm, a lefthanded arm action,” Brown said.

The 24-year-old Gordon recorded a 3.95 ERA through 20 games, 18 of them starts, for the Hooks. He struck out 121 and walked 36 in 93.1 innings.

He gave up just six earned runs over 24 innings in July, striking out 37 with eight walks and a .174 opponent average.

It might be unrealistic to expect Gordon to reach the majors this season, but the Astros aren’t completely ruling it out.

“I’m not sure if he would be getting called up this year, maybe if we needed a lefthander out of the bullpen,” Brown said. “He’s a starter. And the only option would be if we broke him into the big leagues out of the pen as a lefthanded reliever.

“Right now he’s starter depth for us for the future.”

The Astros drafted Gordon in the eighth round in 2021 out of Central Florida.

Framber Valdez was the only lefthander in the Astros’ rotation. Lefthanded relievers Parker Mushinski and Matt Gage have shuttled between Triple-A Sugar Land and Houston this year, spending most of their seasons in the minors.

“We’re excited about him as a starter at the big league level,” Brown said.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MMTP: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... r-edwards/

Robert Moore, 2B, Milwaukee Brewers (High-A Wisconsin)
A solid showing in the Australian winter league, where Moore—playing against much older competition—hit for average and a surprising amount of pop, had his prospect stock trending up to begin 2023. However, his first full-season assignment started with a brutal slump to begin the year, slashing .167/.250/.333 during April at Wisconsin. The back-of-the-card numbers have gradually improved throughout the summer but are still weighed down from the rough start.

Speed and defense don’t slump, and Moore excels in both areas. He’s lightning quick in the field, with soft hands and great instincts. The arm might be a little stretched for the six, but it’s not a liability and he can more than hold his own at the position. If he does move down the ladder to second, the tools are in place for Moore to be a plus defender at the keystone. Offensively, he possesses the ability to put the bat on the ball but too often this season it has resulted in poor quality of contact. He commands the zone well and doesn’t chase too often but needs to continue to hone the approach and be more selective on when to attack. There’ll never be big power numbers but Moore sprays hard line drives around the field, which should produce plenty of doubles.

There’s still development remaining in the bat, and Moore’s ability to be a plus defender up the middle will buy him plenty of time to work on his offensive game. The profile lacks much upside but the pieces are in place for Moore to become an everyday cog in a future Milwaukee lineup.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From MLB Pipeline: https://www.mlb.com/news/davis-schneide ... s-to-sweep

BOSTON -- The Blue Jays came to Fenway Park winless in seven meetings with the Red Sox this season, with a two-game lead over them for the last AL Wild Card spot and an offense that was struggling to score.

By Sunday, all that had been turned on its head as Toronto pounded out 16 hits to take a resounding 13-1 victory over Boston, completing a three-game sweep -- featuring a historic debut series from Davis Schneider -- and putting the club firmly back on track.

“This is playing in sync,” manager John Schneider said. “It was great defense. The approach was spot on. They executed and pitching was great. There were really some high-leverage innings that some guys handled. Everything fell into place. This is a good team. I know our record [vs. the Red Sox] was 0-7 coming in.”

Prior to arriving in Boston, the Blue Jays dropped three of four at home against division-leading Baltimore as the offense struggled to score runs on the heels of losing its top hitter, Bo Bichette.

“The Baltimore series was embarrassing for us,” said Chris Bassitt, who picked up his 11th win of the season on Sunday. “They straight up outplayed us, and I think everyone took that personal.”

The main change to the roster between series wound up being the biggest spark for the offense as Davis Schneider -- rated Toronto's No. 28 prospect by MLB Pipeline -- loudly announced his arrival as a Major Leaguer.

Just two days after his promotion from Triple-A Buffalo, Schneider was bumped up to third in the lineup and continued his torrid start, connecting for his second career home run, a Statcast-projected 425-foot blast that cleared everything in left field and landed on Lansdowne Street.

The second baseman went 4-for-5 with four RBIs, becoming the first player in MLB history to collect nine hits and two home runs over his first three big league games.

“I’m a big stat guy when it comes to MLB history,” Schneider said as he searched for words. “That’s pretty cool to be one of one. I can’t really describe it.”

“Tough to keep him out of the lineup,” said the Blue Jays' manager. “He’s been a spark. It’s been refreshing to see a dude work his [tail] off and get here and see the results that he saw early.”

Overall this series, the offense exploded for 25 runs and 44 hits, collecting at least 14 hits in each of the three games over the weekend.

Benefiting from a massive lead, Bassitt worked seven innings, his longest outing since June 7, with the lone run against him a Triston Casas home run in the fourth.

“I felt really good,” Bassitt said. “I felt strong. We cleaned a lot of stuff up in between starts.”

“I thought his stuff was really good,” John Schneider said of Bassitt. “Fastball was up to 95 [mph]. Breaking stuff was awesome. A lot of tough left-handed hitters and I think he kept them off balance really well, a lot of soft contact.”

The Blue Jays (63-50) look to keep things rolling in their favor as they head to Progressive Field for a four-game series against the Guardians (54-58) starting Monday night.

“We came in really focused for this series and we did our jobs,” Bassitt said. “We got to do the same thing in Cleveland.”
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BA's Hot Sheet: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ek-8-8-23/

11. Robert Gasser, LHP, Brewers
Team: Triple-A Nashville (International)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 10 SO

The Scoop: Nine starts into the season, Gasser had a 5.36 ERA and walked 26 batters in 42 innings. Since then, Gasser has settled in nicely, walking just 15 in 59 innings to lower his overall ERA to 3.91. Gasser doesn’t have one knockout offering, but his any-pitch, any-count mentality keeps hitters guessing and helps him have success, giving him a chance to pitch in a back-end starter role in the big leagues soon.

13. Shane Sasaki, OF, Rays
Team: High-A Bowling Green (South Atlantic)

Why He’s Here: .458/.480/.667 (11-for-24), 3 R, 1 2B, 2 3B, 0 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1-for-3 SB

The Scoop: Sasaki stuffed the box score last week, particularly over the opening four games of the series—he had three games with three or more hits. Sasaki missed two months earlier this season, but returned following the All-Star Break. He has one of the most advanced hit tools in the Rays system, showing plus bat-to-ball skills, average swing decisions and fringe-average power. He’s difficult to strike out and has a well-balanced skill set.
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's Heat Check: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... s-dodgers/

Owen Caissie, OF, Chicago Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): .484 (15-31), 11 R, 4 2B, 3B, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 5 BB, 7 K. Season Stats (Double-A): .285/.394/.545, 20 HR, 6 SB.

It will be interesting to watch the second half offensive numbers in the Southern League with the return to the standard baseballs. It might just be coincidence, but since the change at the midseason mark, Caissie’s bat has been one of the hottest in all of the minor leagues. He’s making consistent loud contact, and the strikeout numbers are down slightly: a positive sign after seeing the K rate spike to nearly 35% early in the season. There’s always going to be some swing and miss to Caissie’s game, but if he can continue to tighten up the approach and make better swing decisions while still producing elite exit velocities, he’ll start to be in the conversation as one of the top young power hitters in the game
Braves

Post by Braves »

From BP's MLU: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... something/

Owen Caissie, OF, Chicago Cubs (Double-A Tennessee): 4-5, 3 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI.
No minor league bat has been hotter than Caissie’s lately, with the Cubs farmhand slashing .368/.480/.842 in the month of August. Just 21 years old, Chicago challenged him with an aggressive Southern League assignment and so far he’s flourishing, producing career-high power numbers and elite exit velocities. There’s still some work to be done to tighten up the approach, in an attempt to cut down the swing and miss, but Caissie’s power bat could make its Wrigley debut in 2024.

Return to “The Brave Blue Ballers”