Offseason Vacancy(ies)

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Offseason Vacancy(ies)

Post by Cardinals »

So, JB has decided to stay - for now. I'm not entirely convinced, but he was irritated that I won last year and that's motivating him to stay.

Jim Rice (Tigers) left.

Aaron reached out to me today to tell me he's considering retiring. I'm not trying to push any original owner or long-time member out the door, but I do have a feeling he may hang them up. He hasn't made a signing since July 2019. That's three and a half seasons ago.

In such an event, we'd have St. Louis and Detroit open.

About two weeks ago, Bren reached out, expressing interest in returning. This was after Nils told him JB may be out. Bren says he should have time for the league. Pat G has also been talking to a member of the BCMBL - Ty - who also wants to join.

Obviously, with JB staying, things change. I still think it could be worth minidrafting those two teams. One, to infuse some life into the league, but two, there's a big disparity in talent between the two.

In any event, we need to figure out who to prioritize and when to bring them in. The scenarios are:

1. Detroit is the only vacancy. Who do we want to choose between Bren and Ty?
2. Detroit and St. Louis are vacancies. Are we minidrafting? If yes, irrelevant who is who.
3. If no minidraft, who gets which team?

Please note - if Aaron leaves I am moving to STL.

EDITED to say: I believe Jim Rice's team is Bren's old team. I'd feel comfortable giving that team to Bren. I feel less comfortable giving a team with that many stars to a new person.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Re: Offseason Vacancy(ies)

Post by Guardians »

If Aaron makes a decision soon (meaning, like a week), I would much prefer the minidraft route. It's interesting for the league and why would anyone want Aaron's team?

My only preference would be to move quickly so that 1 or 2 owners can come in and have some participation in zips bidding. There is enough talent out there that they would want to get in on that and not miss a cycle.

As for who comes in first, I'd prefer they come in together and minidraft. If only one comes in and Aaron stays, I think we can discuss the virtues of the two and decide.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I gave Aaron a Thanksgiving Day deadline to make up his mind.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Another aspect, if we do a mini draft should we open it up to anyone who wants?
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Marlins wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:21 pm Another aspect, if we do a mini draft should we open it up to anyone who wants?
Yes ... although I don't believe my team will participate ...
Reds

Post by Reds »

Marlins wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:21 pm Another aspect, if we do a mini draft should we open it up to anyone who wants?
Sure, the more the merrier!
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

I take it we only have one vacancy?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Aaron told me last night he is going to stay in the league for another year. If he cannot get his participation up, he will walk away.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

So, we have one team and two potential owners. What do we want to do? With only one vacancy, I imagine that's not enough to open for a minidraft, but we can if we think it might boost participation among the less participating owners...thoughts?
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

With zips starting to come out, I do think we should come to a conclusion and get a new GM in asap.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

My two cents, as long as Bren says he will commit to full involvement, since it is his old team my vote would be to bring him back.
Reds

Post by Reds »

Marlins wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:40 pm My two cents, as long as Bren says he will commit to full involvement, since it is his old team my vote would be to bring him back.

I’m good with that.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I would be open to bringing in some new blood, so I'd prefer Ty for this opening.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Since it's Bren's old team, I prefer to have Bren come back if we're choosing between two GMs. Again, this is assuming 100% commitment which he has said he can give.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

My preference would be Ty based on Bren's history but it looks like the majority is leaning toward reinstating Bren who certainly is capable ... if so, hope he is committed and capable of not being an obnoxious overt prick ...
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

WhiteSox wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 am My preference would be Ty based on Bren's history but it looks like the majority is leaning toward reinstating Bren who certainly is capable ... if so, hope he is committed and capable of not being an obnoxious overt prick ...
Just to clarify, my vote is not purely anti-Bren ... Ty understands prospects, used to write for mlbtr, but he is not a prospect junkie as he knows the value of veteran players as well ... He actually has sources in baseball. I would encourage any of you to reach out and chat with him yourself.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Based on Pat's and Jim's strong recommendation it sounds like Ty would be good to have in the league. I don't want to wish guys would leave but I wish we had two spots to give these two.

Since this is Bren's old team and since he sounds committed my vote would be to give it to him, but hopefully we can convince Ty to take the next opening if he's a good GM.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Let’s just kick out JB and take them both.

Kidding, kidding.

(Or am I?)
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

This has come up in a couple of different conversations so posting here for transparency.

I reached out to other GMs who haven't been that active or logged in for awhile.

Ben said he's still in and will get more active at Christmastime. Aaron as noted said he's still in for at least another year.

Jake Hamlin hasn't responded to any of my messages. He last logged in in August. He has sent four MPs over the last four years, including none last year and only one in 2021. I really like Jake and I don't want to remove anybody, but the fact is he's not being responsive and hasn't really participated in a few years.

My vote is to give Bren his old team back and if Jake doesn't get it together, to give Ty Jake's team.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

I second this.
Reds

Post by Reds »

I agree.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I hate to see Jake go, but he definitely hasn't been very active. I think Ty would be a great addition.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Are we giving Jake until Jan 1 to respond and if we dont hear from him, Ty is in? Anyone disagree here?
Reds

Post by Reds »

Agreed.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I agree, though oddly Jake made one drop a couple weeks ago and nothing else. I'll defer to JP if he's heard from him.

Return to “ExCo General”