2023 White Sox Prospect Notes

Jim Berger's blog - a White Sox fan living in Red Sox nation

Moderator: Padres

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

2023 White Sox Prospect Notes

Post by Padres »

Wilfred Veras, 3B, Chicago White Sox (LIDOM Orientales): 3-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, K.

Despite being just 19 years old, Veras was far from overmatched in his aggressive Carolina League assignment, slashing an impressive .266/.319/.454 and earning a late season promotion to Double-A. The pop came alive at both levels with his quick, easy stroke producing in-game power. He’s limited defensively, likely foreshadowing future first base work, but the bat has the potential to be strong enough to handle the role.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... llops-one/

White Sox: Wilfred Veras, 1B/3B (No. 24), Estrellas de Oriente

At just 19 years old, Veras is making an immediate impact against much more experienced competition. The Chicago prospect went 3-for-4 with a home run, a double and three RBIs against Escogido, raising his average to .455 (7-for-11) through his first four games. Veras hit 17 home runs in 101 games at High-A Kannapolis before earning a late promotion to Double-A Birmingham, where he was the designated hitter in all but one appearance; in the other, he played left field for the first time as a professional. With Estrellas, Veras has exclusively played the outfield as an attempt to increase his versatility beyond the corner infield positions.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-round ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Re: 2023 White Sox Prospect Notes

Post by Padres »

Edwin Arroyo, SS, Reds:

Drafted by the Mariners in the second round of the 2021 draft out of Puerto Rico, Arroyo debuted in the Arizona Complex League last summer, where he showed a variety of skills but with mixed results. Assigned to Low-A Modesto of the California League this spring, Arroyo hit the ground running, hitting .316/.385/.514 with 13 home runs and 21 stolen bases over 87 games. Arroyo was traded to the Reds as a part of the player package the Mariners sent to acquire Luis Castillo. He struggled over 27 games with Low-A Daytona, hitting just .227/.303/.381 across 109 plate appearances. With a well-rounded skill set on both sides of the ball, the switch-hitting Arroyo is still refining his righthanded swing with above-average game power and the ability to avoid strikeouts. In the field he’s a strong defender with a plus arm and has a high likelihood of sticking at shortstop long term.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ue-season/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Mariners left-hander Adam Macko might only be 21 years old, but he’s already traveled the world. Born in Slovakia, he grew up in Ireland, then moved to Alberta, Canada for high school. That’s where the Mariners drafted him, taking him in the seventh round of the 2019 Draft. But when he found out he was coming to Arizona for this year’s Fall League, Macko thought it was the most exciting trip of his life.

“I was ecstatic,” Macko, the Mariners’ No. 8 prospect, said. “I've always wanted to compete at this level. I've had friends that have been at this level as well, and I was always looking up to them. Once I got the call from my coaches, my pitching coach, it was really one of my dreams come true.”

Slovakia and Ireland aren’t exactly baseball hotbeds and while Alberta isn’t, say, Southern California, it did allow the left-hander to get seen and drafted. He knows how much has been sacrificed to get him to this point and what it would mean for him to reach Seattle and become the third Slovakia-born player in the history of the big leagues.

“It's everything, really,” Macko said. “It just reflects how many people I've been surrounded with that helped me to get here. My parents got to be number one that have gone through a lot, moving countries, traveling, just so that we can have a better future. It would make everything really worth it.”

To get there, Macko is going to have to stay healthy. While he’s gotten much bigger and more physical since he was drafted, he’s logged just 95 career innings since he made his pro debut in 2019. Rotator tendinitis in 2021 limited him to 33 1/3 innings. This past season, an elbow strain and then meniscus injury shelved him for all but eight starts spanning 38 1/3 IP. So this fall, aside from the challenge of facing a much higher level of hitter than he’s ever seen, is to get reps and continue a progression he had embarked on at the Mariners’ facility in Peoria.

“I'm building up right now, from a couple of things that I was rehabbing down here in Arizona, so I'm looking to stay healthy, keep feeling good,” Macko said. “I think I've figured my body out pretty well, so I guess just put out a good show and stay healthy.”

He has the stuff to join the pitchers he grew up idolizing and learning from. Macko was somewhat self-taught early in his life, watching YouTube videos of pitchers to provide a foundation the Mariners hope they can help develop into a big league starter.

“Justin Verlander was one of the first, as soon as I saw a game on TV. I looked up the best pitcher and it was Justin Verlander at the time,” Macko said. “So it was him at first, I tried to make myself exactly like him. And then David Price later on. And now it's kind of kind of all over the place. I'm learning to appreciate the small things out of all the pitchers.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-arizo ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Only five Minor Leaguers finished with at least 15 homers and 45 stolen bases in 2022, and only three of them were playing in their age-21 seasons or younger. Two of them are Top 15 overall prospects in Anthony Volpe (No. 5) and Elly De La Cruz (No. 14). The third is Rays No. 12 prospect Mason Auer, who finished with 15 blasts and 48 thefts in 115 games between Single-A Charleston and High-A Bowling Green in his first full season.

So what does he consider his best tools?

“I think my defensive skills are my best skills right now,” said the 2022 Arizona Fall League participant. “I feel like that I have a pretty good arm in the outfield, and I can cover a lot of ground out there.”

Oh, so not the power or basestealing, then.

The thing is Auer isn’t wrong (not that we’d doubt his self-assessment of his game). The 21-year-old earns plus-plus grades for his throwing ability and used to touch the mid-90s during his days on the mound. He notched nine outfield assists between his two Minor League levels over the summer -- six in center and three in right. The Rays feel comfortable playing him from any spot on the grass, and that’s continued in the AFL, where he’s made six of his nine starts in the middle of the park for Mesa.

But as good as Auer is in the field, it was his offense that fueled his 2022 breakout.

The 2021 fifth-rounder hit .290/.372/.487 with 48 total extra-base hits in his 115 games this summer. His 12 triples tied for the Minor League lead in the category, combining his plus speed with his ability to elevate balls into the gaps. He was rather consistent too, having never posted an OPS below .750 in any month during the regular season, even after his promotion to High-A in late June.

Auer credits his move from Missouri State to San Jacinto (Texas) Junior College, where he hit 373/.524/.622 in 65 games, with his smooth transition to pro ball.

“I got to play every day, got a ton of reps and just continued to get better,” he said. “As well, we had a bunch of good coaching staff over there. I thought it was a great decision for me to go there.”

The Rays talked Auer out of his commitment to Oregon for his junior year with a near-slot $312,500 signing bonus, and more than a year later, they’re already confident enough in the tooled-up outfielder to send him to the prospect finishing school in the Arizona Fall League, where he’s lived up to his own scouting report. His 98.8 mph seed on Oct. 5 is the third-hardest Statcast has measured in the AFL so far and would rank tied for fourth among the Rays' fastest outfield throws in 2022, trailing only three Brett Phillips lasers.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rays-arizona-f ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

9. MacKenzie Gore, LHP, Nationals
Preseason: 55/Extreme
Updated: 50/Medium

Gore may be the most difficult young player to assess. From looking like a non-prospect in 2021 to flashing No. 3-type upside with the Padres early in 2022, Gore finished his time in San Diego on a sour note—27 runs in his final 22 MLB innings—before going on the injured list with elbow inflammation. He will be given a fresh start—and a long leash—in Washington and could develop into a steady No. 4. 2023 age: 24

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ba-grades/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Oscar Colas, OF, White Sox:

An older signee out of Cuba, Colas signed in January 2022 for $2.7 million. Assigned to High-A Winston-Salem out of camp, Colas experienced an up and down first two months before locking in over the final few months of the season. After hitting .311/.369/.475 across 59 games in High-A, Colas saw a promotion to Double-A Birmingham where he took off. Across 51 games with the Barons, Colas hit .306/.364/.563 with 14 home runs. He starred in the Futures Game during all-star weekend and finished the season with a .314/.371/.524 line with 23 home runs and just a 22.8% strikeout rate. He spent a week at the end of the season with Triple-A Charlotte and looks likely to see a majority of his 2023 campaign with the major league club. Colas is a power-hitting outfielder with an above-average hit tool and a plus throwing arm that should fit nicely in a corner.

Mason Auer
, OF, Rays:

After two seasons at San Jacinto (Texas) JC, Auer was selected by the Rays in the fifth round of the 2021 draft. He made his professional debut in the Florida Complex League following the draft and showcased advanced plate discipline, above-average bat-to-ball skills and twitchy athleticism. Assigned to Low-A Charleston to begin 2022, Auer hit .293/.378/.478 with four home runs and 24 stolen bases over 60 games. He saw a promotion to High-A Bowling Green in late June, where he hit .288/.367/.496 with 11 home runs and 24 stolen bases over 55 games. He was invited to participate in the Arizona Fall League following the season and is likely to see an assignment to Double-A to begin 2023. A standout athlete with a balance of contact, plate discipline and average power, Auer has the ability to develop into a versatile offensive player with dangerous baserunning ability at peak.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ue-season/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Lenyn Sosa, SS, White Sox:

Sosa took one of the biggest leaps forward in the White Sox's system this year and impressed enough to make his big league debut. With Chicago's season over, he's in the Venezuelan Winter League with Caracas. On Tuesday, he collected a pair of hits—including a double—scored two runs and walked twice while hitting in the two-hole during his team's win.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... dium=email
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Adam Macko saw a limited amount of action this season. He threw just 38-and-a-third innings, all with High-A Everett, and prior to joining the Arizona Fall League’s Peoria Javelinas he hadn’t pitched in a game since late May. Last weekend, I asked the No. 8 prospect in the Seattle Mariners organization about his extended stint on the injured list.

“It was mostly precautionary,” Macko told me. “I was having some discomfort, so I had to go back to [the team’s training facility in] Arizona for a little bit and kind of get myself together. I feel good now. I wouldn’t be out here if I didn’t feel 100%.”

Asked to elaborate, the 21-year-old Slovakia-born, Canada-raised southpaw said that the discomfort wasn’t arm-related, but rather his “body was just really tired, so it was kind of everything.”

Per MLB Pipeline’s Jonathan Mayo, Macko had dealt with “an elbow strain and then meniscus injury” during the 2022 season.

Macko’s unique backstory was a primary focus when I interviewed, and subsequently wrote about him, in May of last year. We’d also addressed his plus curveball, so I asked in our recent conversation if he still considers it his best pitch.

“I was actually thinking about that myself, not too long ago,” replied Macko. “It’s tough to say, because I’ve changed my repertoire a little bit. I’m always evolving. While my curveball is technically my bread and butter, I’m not sure what my best pitch is right now.”

Macko currently throws the curveball, a fastball, a changeup, and a slider that he’s worked to make both harder and tighter. Neither a gyro nor a sweeper, he wants the pitch to have cutter characteristics. More recently, he’s been “playing around with the curveball a little bit,” the primary objective being more diversity in velocity. Depending on the count, he wants to be able to throw his hook “as slow as 68-70, and as firm as 80-81 [mph].”

The Vauxhall (Alberta) Baseball Academy product is also upping his mental game.

“A big change has been getting from internal to external thinking,” explained Macko. “I’m being mindful of every single pitch, rather than thinking about my mechanics and always just trying to throw hard. I’m becoming more of a pitcher.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-note ... s-history/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Glenn Otto pitched better over his last nine starts.

And then something flipped. Over his last nine starts of the season, Otto pitched 46 2/3 innings and his ERA was 4.03. He still allowed eight home runs, but those came with fewer men on base, since his 37 strikeouts came with only 13 walks.

There are some definite changes. Here are his pitch usages and results before August 20th and then from that start forward.
Pitch Early-season usage Late-season usage SwStr% GB%
Four-seam 23% 12% 11% 35%
Cutter 0% 6% 7% 71%
Sinker 27% 32% 4% 55%
Change 11% 1% 7% 49%
Slider 25% 33% 16% 27%
Curve 15% 15% 10% 48%

He approached hitters differently and was able to raise his K%-BB% from 5% to 9%. It was an improvement but there seems to be another gear for him if he hits the perfect mix. It might be to just go fastball-slider.

Dane Dunning will likely start next season in AAA.

The most damning stat, however, is his overall walk rate of 3.6 per nine innings. Dunning underwent hip surgery late in the season and expects to be back in time for Opening Day. With the Rangers focusing on acquiring starting pitching, it seems likely that he’ll start the season in Triple A as he continues his rehab and works to solve his command and first-inning issues.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/mining-the-news-11-1-22/

Jack Suwinski could be the center fielder next season.

Reynolds was exclusively a center fielder for nearly all of 2022, but in his final game of the season, he shifted over to left field for the first time. It was just one game, but it’s worth wondering whether Reynolds could get more playing time in left, or even if he might shift over there entirely. Reynolds rated poorly as a defender, finishing the season with minus-14 defensive runs saved and minus-7 outs above average. If he moves to left, Jack Suwinski, who impressed defensively at all three spots, could slide over to center field.

Jack Suwinski should fill the other outfield corner. Suwinski had a decent rookie campaign, cranking out 19 dingers, which was tied with Michael Harris of the Atlanta Braves for the most by an NL Rookie. He was a league-average batter on the dot, slashing .202/.298/.411 with a .311 wOBA and 100 wRC+. He drew a walk in 11% of his plate appearances but also struck out 30.6% of the time. His offense may have been average, but his glove was well above average.

In 818.2 innings, Suwinski had +2 Defensive Runs Saved, +1 Outs Above Average, and a +8.5 UZR/150. He played an ample amount of time at all three outfield spots, but his best defensive work came in center field. Right now, I have him penciled into a corner outfield spot, but nobody should be opposed if he plays center field with Bae and Reynolds flanking him.

https://rumbunter.com/2022/10/08/pittsb ... ter/amp/7/

This year’s National League rookie class saw many under-the-radar names come out of the woodwork and perform very well. Spencer Strider wasn’t ranked as a top 100 prospect by many publications, and only one list had Michael Harris as a top 50 prospect. Christopher Morel, Lars Nootbaar, and Brendan Donovan were all unranked going into the year, as was Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Jack Suwinski. Suwinski turned in one of the more underrated rookie seasons this year.

Entering the final day of the season, Suwinski has hit for a .204/.296/.414 slash line. Although he has struck out 30.7% of the time, he also drew walks 10.6% of the time and is tied with Michael Harris II for the National League rookie lead in home runs with 19.

His .210 isolated slugging percentage also ranked fourth among all NL rookies with at least 300 plate appearances. Overall, it was roughly league average production as Suwinski had a .311 wOBA, 100 wRC+, and 98 OPS+.

Although Suwinski’s offense wasn’t anything to write home about, he was a good outfield defender. He’s only had 799.2 innings played in the grass so far this year but has +3 Defensive Runs Saved, a +8.5 UZR/150, and +1 Outs Above Average. Suwinski displayed a plus-plus arm with +5.5 outfield arm runs above average. But the best part is he provided the Pittsburgh Pirates with plus defense at all three outfield positions.

If it weren’t for Bryan Reynolds, he’d probably be the team’s primary center fielder. That is where he had his best defensive work, after all. With +1.7 fWAR, Suwinski was on pace for +2.8 fWAR across a full season’s worth of plate appearances. Overall, he had the 7th best fWAR among all NL position players.

https://rumbunter.com/2022/10/05/pittsb ... ie-season/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

These 3 aren't really prospects anymore but notes nonetheless ...

Glenn Otto pitched better over his last nine starts.

And then something flipped. Over his last nine starts of the season, Otto pitched 46 2/3 innings and his ERA was 4.03. He still allowed eight home runs, but those came with fewer men on base, since his 37 strikeouts came with only 13 walks.

There are some definite changes. Here are his pitch usages and results before August 20th and then from that start forward.
Pitch Early-season usage Late-season usage SwStr% GB%
Four-seam 23% 12% 11% 35%
Cutter 0% 6% 7% 71%
Sinker 27% 32% 4% 55%
Change 11% 1% 7% 49%
Slider 25% 33% 16% 27%
Curve 15% 15% 10% 48%

He approached hitters differently and was able to raise his K%-BB% from 5% to 9%. It was an improvement but there seems to be another gear for him if he hits the perfect mix. It might be to just go fastball-slider.

Dane Dunning will likely start next season in AAA.

The most damning stat, however, is his overall walk rate of 3.6 per nine innings. Dunning underwent hip surgery late in the season and expects to be back in time for Opening Day. With the Rangers focusing on acquiring starting pitching, it seems likely that he’ll start the season in Triple A as he continues his rehab and works to solve his command and first-inning issues.

Jack Suwinski could be the center fielder next season.

Reynolds was exclusively a center fielder for nearly all of 2022, but in his final game of the season, he shifted over to left field for the first time. It was just one game, but it’s worth wondering whether Reynolds could get more playing time in left, or even if he might shift over there entirely. Reynolds rated poorly as a defender, finishing the season with minus-14 defensive runs saved and minus-7 outs above average. If he moves to left, Jack Suwinski, who impressed defensively at all three spots, could slide over to center field.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/mining-the-news-11-1-22/

Jack Suwinski should fill the other outfield corner. Suwinski had a decent rookie campaign, cranking out 19 dingers, which was tied with Michael Harris of the Atlanta Braves for the most by an NL Rookie. He was a league-average batter on the dot, slashing .202/.298/.411 with a .311 wOBA and 100 wRC+. He drew a walk in 11% of his plate appearances but also struck out 30.6% of the time. His offense may have been average, but his glove was well above average.

In 818.2 innings, Suwinski had +2 Defensive Runs Saved, +1 Outs Above Average, and a +8.5 UZR/150. He played an ample amount of time at all three outfield spots, but his best defensive work came in center field. Right now, I have him penciled into a corner outfield spot, but nobody should be opposed if he plays center field with Bae and Reynolds flanking him.

https://rumbunter.com/2022/10/08/pittsb ... ter/amp/7/

This year’s National League rookie class saw many under-the-radar names come out of the woodwork and perform very well. Spencer Strider wasn’t ranked as a top 100 prospect by many publications, and only one list had Michael Harris as a top 50 prospect. Christopher Morel, Lars Nootbaar, and Brendan Donovan were all unranked going into the year, as was Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Jack Suwinski. Suwinski turned in one of the more underrated rookie seasons this year.

Entering the final day of the season, Suwinski has hit for a .204/.296/.414 slash line. Although he has struck out 30.7% of the time, he also drew walks 10.6% of the time and is tied with Michael Harris II for the National League rookie lead in home runs with 19.

His .210 isolated slugging percentage also ranked fourth among all NL rookies with at least 300 plate appearances. Overall, it was roughly league average production as Suwinski had a .311 wOBA, 100 wRC+, and 98 OPS+.

Although Suwinski’s offense wasn’t anything to write home about, he was a good outfield defender. He’s only had 799.2 innings played in the grass so far this year but has +3 Defensive Runs Saved, a +8.5 UZR/150, and +1 Outs Above Average. Suwinski displayed a plus-plus arm with +5.5 outfield arm runs above average. But the best part is he provided the Pittsburgh Pirates with plus defense at all three outfield positions.

If it weren’t for Bryan Reynolds, he’d probably be the team’s primary center fielder. That is where he had his best defensive work, after all. With +1.7 fWAR, Suwinski was on pace for +2.8 fWAR across a full season’s worth of plate appearances. Overall, he had the 7th best fWAR among all NL position players.

https://rumbunter.com/2022/10/05/pittsb ... ie-season/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

When the Dodgers made an athletic outfielder out of Sacramento State their seventh-round pick in 2018, they knew his swing required a lot of work to become suitable for the pro game.

Looking back on it now, James Outman certainly agrees.

“I came into pro ball swinging the bat kind of like a caveman—really stiff, not much there,” Outman said this year, referring to the project as a “total rebuild” of his swing mechanics and approach.

“I tried to loosen it up, get some more length through the strike zone—and it’s paid off.”

The 25-year-old Outman began the season at Double-A Tulsa, moved up to Triple-A Oklahoma City in late June then made an unexpected MLB debut in Colorado on July 31.

He homered in his first big league at-bat and finished his first game with three hits.

Outman’s first taste of the big leagues lasted just five days—he went 6-for-13—but the demotion did not demoralize him. He hit for the cycle twice In a span of four games for Oklahoma City.

The brief time in the big leagues seemed to propel Outman to the finish of his best season. In 35 games after returning to Triple-A, he produced a 1.142 OPS with 10 of his 31 minor league home runs.

Ironically, Outman said the swing project really clicked in for him in 2020 when there was no minor league season. He spent the summer at home in Northern California “hitting in a family friend’s backyard, hitting in local cages—we’d leave it unlocked and sneak in.”

“We didn’t have a season, so I spent a lot of time trying to dial it in as much as I could,” he said. “Then we went for (instructional league), and that’s when I first saw it taking its shape.”

Patience was required along the way.

“It wasn’t too difficult just because I knew I had a long road ahead of me, so I was trying to take it one step at a time,” he said. “I wasn’t looking at it like it was one project that I had to get done in a week . . . So little baby steps.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... es-outman/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Top MLB Prospect: Miguel Vargas, Oklahoma City (LAD)

In a loaded Dodgers system, Vargas stood out as one of the best. The 22-year-old hit .304/.404/.511 with 100 runs scored in 113 games with Oklahoma City, earning a callup to Los Angeles at the end of August and belting his first MLB homer in September. The club’s No. 3 prospect (MLB No. 41) was third in the PCL with a .915 OPS and his .404 OBP was second overall in the circuit.

https://www.milb.com/news/triple-a-all- ... spect-2022
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Oscar Colas gets some GM love for being the starting right fielder.

To counter this, Hahn immediately offered 24-year-old power-hitting outfield prospect Oscar Colás as an in-house option for right field. A full “Project Birmingham” participant, Colás arrived at Triple A for only the last seven games of 2022, despite the offensive woes above him in Chicago. But the left-handed hitting Cuban collected a .314/.371/.524 batting line across three levels in his first stateside season, with 23 home runs despite being slowed early by wrist pain. Opening Day with the White Sox in Houston is no longer too soon to think about him, the team’s GM said.

“I think the acclimation period is behind him now, now it’s just a matter of showing that he’s ready and belongs in the big leagues,” Hahn said. “We’ll head to camp and see where we’re at. Obviously, there will be offseason check-ins, as well, and see where the progress is at. But he impressed us last year and is on a real good trajectory to contribute in a meaningful way as soon as next year.”

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/mining-the-news-11-9-22/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2. Max Meyer | RHP

Born: Mar 12, 1999
Bats: L Throws: R
Ht.: 6'0" Wt.: 196
Drafted/Signed: Minnesota, 2020 (1st round).
Signed By: Shaeffer Hall.
Minors: 3-4 | 3.69 ERA | 69 SO | 19 BB | 61 IP

Track Record: The 2020 season was supposed to be Meyer's time to transition from Minnesota's bullpen to the rotation. Instead, the pandemic happened, and the season was cut short. Still, the Marlins saw enough to draft him No. 3 overall and send him directly to Double-A to start his first season as a pro in 2021. Most questions surrounding Meyer out of the draft involved his ability to hold up as a starter. Those concerns surfaced in 2022, first with a nerve issue in his elbow and eventually Tommy John surgery that ended his season a few starts after his MLB debut.

Scouting Report: In 2021, Meyer thrived despite an arsenal that was vanilla to open the year but got better as the Double-A Pensacola season wore on. A year later, he emerged with a changeup that had taken a dramatic jump as a perfect third pitch to go with his dynamic fastball/slider combination. Scouts who saw Meyer in the minors were wowed by the power in his arsenal. His fastball sat in the mid 90s and set up a dastardly slider that grades as a legitimate double-plus pitch capable of getting silly swings from talented hitters. The emergence of the changeup came in part because Meyer started to use it more as a third potentially above-average pitch to complete his arsenal rather than the show-me offering when he was in the bullpen. The second component was that Meyer improved his arm speed on his changeup to match what he showed on his other two pitches.

The Future: Meyer's Tommy John surgery puts a huge dent in the Marlins' outlook and further stymies their pitching development. He'll likely miss all of 2023, leaving Miami in a holding pattern until he, Jake Eder and Sixto Sanchez are healthy again.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60. Slider: 70. Changeup: 55. Control: 55

8. Dax Fulton | LHP

Born: Oct 16, 2001
Bats: L Throws: L
Ht.: 6'6" Wt.: 230
Drafted/Signed: HS--Mustang, Okla., 2020 (2nd round).
Signed By: James Vilade.
Minors: 6-7 | 3.80 ERA | 150 SO | 42 BB | 119 IP

Track Record: Fulton was selected in the second round of the pandemic-shortened 2020 draft knowing his development would be a slow burn. He was recovering from Tommy John surgery performed during his senior season of high school but was healthy enough to pitch during instructional league. He debuted in 2021 and split the season between both Class A levels. Fulton returned to High-A Beloit to begin 2022 and was inconsistent. He turned it on once he was promoted to Double-A Pensacola, where he was magnificent in the season's final month and during the team's run to the Southern League crown. In his only playoff start, versus Montgomery in the semifinals, Fulton went six shutout innings and allowed just a hit and a walk while fanning 13 hitters.

Scouting Report: Two years removed from Tommy John surgery, Fulton is starting to resemble the pitcher the Marlins believed they were drafting. To return to form, he worked hard to get back into better shape, which helped improve his stamina and keep his stuff crisp deep into starts. Now, instead of his four-seam fastball sitting in the low 90s and tickling 94-95 mph, it sits in the mid 90s and scrapes 96-97. The Marlins also gave Fulton a two-seamer, which sits in the same range as his four-seamer. His signature offspeed pitch is a powerful 1-to-7 curveball in the high 70s that he's done a better job landing for strikes as well as burying for chases. After tinkering with a changeup grip in 2021, Fulton settled for one that gave him the movement he desired. Now, that pitch, a key to him remaining a starter, projects as a fringe-average offering and could be the key to him sticking in the rotation.

The Future: The Marlins were pleased with Fulton's late-season breakout and will look for an encore in 2023, when he will likely reach Triple-A. He's got a ceiling as a back-end starter.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 55. Curveball: 60. Changeup: 45. Control: 50

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1 ... izational/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Adam Macko, LHP, Seattle Mariners (AFL Peoria): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K.

When on the mound, Macko can be dominant with his mid-90s fastball, curve, and sweeping slider. He was on his way to a 2022 breakout, striking out 60 in just 38 innings before an elbow strain shelved him for the remainder of the regular season. The pure stuff is that of a mid-rotation starter, but earning a spot on Seattle’s staff will be dependent on him staying healthy.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... -gonzales/

The Peoria Javelinas didn't have to be perfect to wrap up the final playoff berth in the Arizona Fall League. But they nearly were.

The Javelinas got within two outs of a seven-inning perfect game against the Mesa Solar Sox on Thursday before second baseman Zack Gelof (Athletics No. 3, MLB No. 94) lined a 98-mph fastball from right-hander Amos Willingham (Nationals) into the left-center gap for a double.

Peoria settled for a 4-0 one-hitter and a spot in Friday's play-in game against the Glendale Desert Dogs. The victor in that contest will meet the Surprise Saguaros for the AFL championship on Saturday.

Right-hander Hunter Stanley (Guardians) opened the game for the Javelinas by retiring all six batters he faced before left-hander Josh Walker (Mets) struck out the side in the third inning. Then lefty Adam Macko (Mariners) delivered his best outing of the Fall League season, preserving the perfect-game bid with five strikeouts in three frames.

Macko allowed eight runs on 11 hits and 11 walks in his first 7 1/3 AFL innings, but permitted just one run and four baserunners in his final six frames while fanning seven. He said the key to his turnaround was regaining his feel for pitching after working just 38 1/3 innings during the regular season while dealing with a left elbow strain and an injury to the meniscus in his right knee.

Seattle's No. 8 prospect hadn’t pitched in a Minor League game since May before arriving in Arizona.

"After those couple outings where I struggled, I just wanted to come out and have fun," Macko said. "Kind of leave this place knowing that I did everything I could and I enjoyed my time here. That's when things started rolling for me."

Born in Slovakia, Macko grew up in Ireland before moving to Canada at age 12 and signing with Seattle as a ninth-round pick out of high school in 2019. Though he's still adding weight to his lean 6-foot frame, he has touched 97 mph with his fastball in the past and has advanced feel for a slow curveball in the low 70s.

Macko worked at 92-96 mph against the Solar Sox while throwing 23 of 33 pitches for strikes. He notched two of his whiffs on heaters -- including catching Top 100 prospect Jasson Domínguez (Yankees No. 2) looking at a 95-mph fastball -- one on a curveball and two on mid-80s sliders. The 21-year-old said the slider has been a point of emphasis in the Fall League.

"My slider, it's kind of slider-cutter thing," he said. "I used to have a big one that was slower and I'm trying to turn that into a hard, short slider. We'll see what it plays out to be.

"I was very happy with it today. I did lose feel for it a little bit and I couldn't throw it in the zone earlier in the season, but now it's feeling really good."

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-adam- ... e-coverage

With a spot in the semifinals on the line, Peoria’s pitching staff stepped up to deliver the best pitching performance of the Arizona Fall League season.

Guardians righthander Hunter Stanley, Mets lefthander Josh Walker, Mariners lefthander Adam Macko and Nationals righthander Amos Willingham pitched a combined one-hitter to lead Peoria to a 4-0 win in seven innings over Mesa on Thursday afternoon in a winner-take-all game for a spot in the semifinals. The Javelinas came within two outs of a combined perfect game before Athletics prospect Zack Gelof hit a double off Willingham in the seventh.

“it was amazing,” said Macko, who pitched three perfect innings. “It was a very cool thing to see my friends do a really good job before me and I just wanted to continue doing that. I didn't know it was a perfect game. I threw some gutsy pitches and for it to work out, it was awesome.”

... Macko followed with the most dominant performance of the afternoon. The 21-year-old Slovakian lefthander pitched three perfect innings with five strikeouts, showcasing a trio of putaway pitches. He struck out Yankees outfielder Jasson Dominguez looking at a 95 mph fastball, Cubs first baseman Matt Mervis swinging at an 86 mph slider, Athletics outfielder Lawrence Butler looking at an 84 mph slider and Marlins shortstop Jose Salas swinging through a 92 mph fastball before finishing his outing by buckling Marlins catcher Cameron Barstad at the knees with a 72 mph curveball.

“Honestly, after those couple outings where I struggled I just wanted to come out and have fun and kind of leave this place knowing that I kind of did everything that I could and that I had enjoyed my time here,” Macko said. “That's when things started rolling for me, when I just kind of said ‘You know what? I’m just gonna go out there and have as much fun as I can.' ” ...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... emifinals/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

The new Steamer is here!

... The 2023 Steamer Projections are live, and we all have our favorite ways to consume. Some run right to the top and see what the stars expected to do, but I like running to the bargain bin looking for gems.

Here are 5 hitters with strong projections who could find more playing time and exceed expectations:

Miguel Vargas | LAD, 3B | .264/.337/.446

18 HR, 8 SB, 64 RBI, 62 R in 497 PA

If the Dodgers bring back Justin Turner (edit: if they do bring him back, it will be via a new deal as they declined his option), it cuts off the most obvious path to playing time for Vargas, but he did play some LF in both AAA and the majors last year so that could be an alternate path as I’m not sure Trayce Thompson has a firm hold on that role, even after his 2nd half surge (164 wRC+, 8th in MLB min. 180 PA). The Dodgers could do literally anything this offseason, ranging from re-signing Trea Turner and adding Aaron Judge to trusting young bucks Vargas and Michael Busch in prominent roles. Vargas could be a major trade chip and find himself in a full-time role elsewhere. Any number of potential outcomes.

As the 324th pick on average so far, you can afford to absorb the risk that he doesn’t start all year, though Steamer is optimistic with the 497 PA (more than Thompson and Cody Bellinger). He is the 196th hitter off the board in early drafts while the Auction Calculator puts this line as the 122nd best hitter, giving him some wiggle room if he isn’t an everyday guy right away. He is a 13 HR/SB per 500 PA guy in the minors, besting that at Triple-A last year with 17 HR/16 SB and a 129 wRC+ in 520 PA. The PCL inflates offense, but his .915 OPS was still tied for 4th-highest among 112 AAA guys with at least 400 PA.

I’m not concerned by his meager 26 wRC+ in his 50 PA cup of coffee during which he played back-to-back games just four times. Bottom line is Vargas can hit and he has a solid chance to be an instant impact rookie next year. The question will be if his power develops or does hew closer to the Yandy Díaz comp he got in his prospect write up.

Oscar Colas | CWS, OF | .262/.312/.454

14 HR, 2 SB, 42 RBI, 39 R in 322 PA

Colas is an international signing from Cuba by way of Japan. He is a power corner outfielder who will likely go as far as his plate skills take him. His free-swinging ways were exposed a bit at the upper levels this year with a 26% K and 6% BB in 258 PA. It didn’t stop him from doing damage (139 wRC+ in AA; 182 during his week in AAA), clubbing 16 HRs with a .257 ISO. There is very little chance he breaks camp this year and his 516 ADP reflects that, but he could spend 4+ months up with the White Sox and hit 20+ HR. A half season with the Steamer projection has value in Draft Champions leagues (remember, there are 750 players picked in those leagues), but it is a high risk/reward profile. Know the name and keep tabs on his early season work at Triple-A so you’re not caught flatfooted when he comes up.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/5-potenti ... ojections/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

9. Freddy Tarnok | RHP

Born: Nov 24, 1998
Bats: R Throws: R
Ht.: 6'3" Wt.: 185
Drafted/Signed: HS--Riverview, Fla., 2017 (3rd round).
Signed By: Justin Clark.
Minors: 4-3 | 4.05 ERA | 124 SO | 44 BB | 107 IP

Track Record: Tarnok was a two-way player in high school in Florida, but the Braves signed him for $1.4 million as a pitcher in the 2017 third round after taking Kyle Wright in the first and Drew Waters in the second. Tarnok's progress was slow initially, before a breakout 2021 season when he reached the upper minors. In 2022, Tarnok made his MLB debut by pitching two-thirds of an inning in relief on Aug. 17 against the Mets.

Scouting Report: In his age-23 season, Tarnok mostly pitched between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett, where he showed flashes of dominance and periods of inconsistency. Tarnok has a four-pitch mix, headlined by a four-seam fastball that sits 93-95 mph and touches 98 with good spin (2,400 rpm) and carry (18 inches of induced vertical break). His go-to secondary is a 12-to-6 curveball in the upper 70s that was previously the best such pitch in the system, but evaluators inside and outside the system noted it took a step backward in 2022. Tarnok showed some progress with a mid-80s changeup, and the Braves have continued to try to help him develop a low-80s slider, though it has been slow going. External evaluators view his changeup and slider as fringe-average offerings. At times, Tarnok showed the ability to dominate with his fastball, but he has also struggled to sync his delivery and navigate a lineup multiple times with consistency.

The Future: The Braves have committed to developing Tarnok as a starter, but plenty of scouts think he could excel in shorter stints as a reliever where he can focus on dominating with his fastball and using just one or two secondary pitches. He has two minor league options remaining.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 60. Curveball: 55. Slider: 45. Changeup: 45. Control: 45

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1 ... 023&type=P
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Diamondbacks selected the contract of outfielder Jorge Barrosa.

Barrosa, 21, hit .279/.372/.439 with 13 homers and 26 steals in a 2022 season spent mostly in Double-A. The Diamondbacks aren't exactly short on outfielders, so it seems unlikely that he'll get a chance to contribute in 2023. Still, he's emerged as a legit prospect, even if his power seems unlikely to carry over to the majors.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... ge-barrosa

Yankees purchased the contract of RHP Jhony Brito from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

The players getting added to the 40-man roster today are the ones who would have become minor league free agents if not. The Yankees decided they didn't want to risk Brito leaving after he went 11-4 with a 2.96 ERA and a 91/35 K/BB ratio in 112 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A. He's probably not ever going to be a starter for the team, but he could log some bullpen time next year.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... hony-brito

Athletics selected the contract of LHP Hogan Harris from Triple-A Las Vegas.

Harris has been added to the Athletics' 40-man roster to protect him from selection in next month's Rule 5 Draft. The 25-year-old left-hander compiled a strong 3.42 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 105/43 K/BB ratio across 73 2/3 innings (23 appearances, 22 starts) this past season between High-A Lansing, Double-A Midland and Triple-A Las Vegas. He figures to make his big league debut sometime next season.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... gan-harris

Blue Jays selected the contract of 1B/OF Spencer Horwitz from Triple-A Buffalo.

The 25-year-old split the 2022 campaign between Double-A New Hampshire and Triple-A Buffalo where he slashed .275/.391/.452 with 12 homers, 51 RBI, seven stolen bases and a 95/73 K/BB ratio over 483 plate appearances. He'll likely begin the 2023 season one step away from the big leagues back at Triple-A Buffalo.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... er-horwitz

Angels selected the contract of LHP Kolton Ingram.

In something of a surprise, the Angels have just protected Ingram and José Soriano today, leaving prospects like Jordyn Adams and Orlando Martinez Rule 5 eligible. Ingram, a pure reliever, was re-signed to a minor league contract last month. He had a 2.67 ERA and a 73/17 K/BB ratio in 60 2/3 innings in Double-A last season, and the Angels obviously feared that he'd be picked in next month's draft.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... ton-ingram

Tigers selected the contract of RHP Reese Olson from Double-A Erie.

Olson missed bats at an astronomical rate last year at Double-A Erie, finishing with a solid 4.14 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 168/38 K/BB ratio across 119 2/3 innings (26 appearances, 25 starts). The 23-year-old right-hander has been added to Detroit's 40-man roster and will be protected from next month's Rule 5 Draft. His swing-and-miss stuff gives him a chance to make it to the majors down the road.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... eese-olson

White Sox selected the contract of 3B Bryan Ramos from Double-A Birmingham.

Ramos has been added to Chicago's 40-man roster to protect him from selection in next month's Rule 5 Draft. The 20-year-old corner infielder put up a solid .266/.338/.455 triple-slash line with 22 homers in 519 plate appearances over 120 games last year between High-A Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... ryan-ramos

White Sox selected the contract of SS Jose Rodriguez from Double-A Birmingham.

Rodriguez has been added to Chicago's 40-man roster to protect him from selection in next month's Rule 5 Draft. The 21-year-old middle infielder his a robust .280/.340/.430 with 11 homers and 40 stolen bases across 484 plate appearances in 104 games this past season for Double-A Birmingham.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... -rodriguez

Rays selected the contract of RHP Colby White from Triple-A Durham.

The 24-year-old hurler was a sixth round draft pick of the Rays from the 2019 draft. After an unbelievable season across four minor league levels in 2021, White suffered a torn UCL in his pitching elbow and underwent Tommy John surgery in April of 2022 -- causing him to miss the entire season. He's expected to return at some point during the 2023 campaign and the upside that he has already flashed is so substantial that the Rays didn't want to risk exposing him to the Rule 5 draft.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/ ... olby-white
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Jhony Brito, who will be 25 in February, began 2022 at Double-A Somerset and finished it at Scranton, posting a combined 2.96 ERA between the two levels in 112 innings. Brito enjoyed a two-tick velo bump in 2022, with his fastball now averaging just south of 95 mph in the 92-96 mph range. In spite of his long arm action, Brito throws a ton of strikes and has an above-average power-sink changeup in the 85-89 mph range, which he turns over from a tilted-out, high arm slot, à la Michael Wacha. Neither of his two breaking balls is especially nasty, but Brito commands both his curveball and cutter/slider to his glove side with consistency, which should enable him to work hitters who struggle to identify those pitches. Aside from Yoendrys Gómez, Brito has the best long-term prospects as a starter among the Yankees 40-man occupants who don’t project for the Opening Day rotation.

... 1B/LF Spencer Horwitz ... The 25-year-old Horwitz is the most consistent and stable offensive prospect of that group. He is a career .290/.390/.453 hitter in the minors and has a great-looking swing that produces all-fields spray. He is without prototypical power for a 1B/LF but Horwitz is a great fit with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. in left field and could find himself in a platoon relatively quickly, especially with Teoscar Hernández now gone.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/40-man-rost ... s-al-east/

Jorge Barrosa, OF: The outfielder quietly enjoyed a breakout season for Double-A Amarillo, taking to the offensive-happy environment of his home park. Barrosa hit .276/.374/.438 across 110 games as a 21-year-old at Double-A. Barrosa pairs plus bat-to-ball skills (83.8% contact rate) with advanced plate discipline (23% chase rate) to get the most out of his profile at the plate. His exit velocity data is below-average but Barrosa displays advanced barrel control that allows him to get the most out of his contact with flush barrel after flush barrel.

Hogan Harris, LHP: A 2018 third-rounder out of Louisiana-Lafayette, Harris has enjoyed success over parts of two major league seasons. Harris has missed significant time due to injury, missing the 2018 season recovering from an elbow injury—which eventually led to Tommy John surgery that cost him the 2021 season. It’s reasonable to view 2022 as Harris’ first fully healthy season, as he reached Triple-A Las Vegas by season’s end. Harris’ four-pitch mix consists of fastball, changeup, curveball and slider. His pitch usage heavily relies on his low-to-mid-90s fastball with good ride and heavy bore and two swing-and-miss secondaries in his changeup and high-spin curveball.

Kolton Ingram, LHP: Ingram is a true underdog profile, as an older Division II player who stands 5-foot-9. Ingram pitched his way onto the Angels 40-man roster with strong showings across three levels in 2021 and then 50 appearances for Rocket City in 2022. Ingram mixes three pitches but works primarily off of a fastball/slider combination. His fastball has natural cut, playing up due to his low release height and flat vertical approach angle. His slider is a flat sweeper at 79-81 mph with plus spin rates in the 2,700-plus rpm range on average. He’ll flash a changeup but it’s not a primary part of Ingram’s sequencing. He’s a true relief prospect with unusual release traits and two movement profiles on his primary pitches that dovetail.

Reese Olson, RHP: The Tigers acquired Olson from the Brewers prior to the 2021 trade deadline when they flipped Daniel Norris to Milwaukee. In what looks to be a good trade for the Tigers, Olson had a breakout season in Double-A in 2022, navigating the offensive environment of the Eastern League. Olson finished tied for ninth in total strikeouts among all minor league pitchers and his 33.1% strikeout rate ranked as the 13th-best rate among minor league pitchers with 100 or more innings pitched in 2022. Olson uses a four-seam fastball sitting 93-96 mph with ride and bore, a high-80s changeup with significant vertical play off of his fastball, a high-spin sweeping slider at 82-84 mph and a high-70s curveball with two-plane depth. Olson’s command really depends on the pitch. For example, he has below-average command of his four-seam fastball but above-average to plus command of his changeup and slider. Olson’s ability to land his changeup with regularity has led to success. If he can improve his strike-throwing on his fastball he has a chance to break out as a viable part of the major league rotation. If not, he has the stuff to excel in a bulk starter or multi-inning fireman role.

Bryan Ramos, 3B: The 20-year-old Ramos popped up as a standout for Low-A Kannapolis in 2021, hitting .244/.345/.415 with 13 home runs and 13 stolen bases. He once again stood out early with High-A Winston-Salem, hitting .275/.350/.471 with 19 home runs over 99 games. He hit a bit of a speed bump at Double-A Birmingham to end the season but still displayed advanced bat-to-ball skills. Ramos has a nice combination of above-average bat-to-ball skills, above-average approach and above-average game power. Ramos’ game power is notable for a player his age, as his 103.7 mph 90th percentile exit velocity ranks among the upper echelon for players his age.

Jose Rodriguez, SS: After a strong 2021 season in which Rodriguez spent a majority of his campaign at the Class A levels, the shortstop was assigned to Double-A Birmingham out of camp. He spent the entire 2022 season with the Barons, hitting .280/.340/.430 with 38 extra-base hits and 40 stolen bases. Rodriguez displays speed, at least average power and above-average bat-to-ball skills. His aggressive approach unfortunately means he’ll often swing himself into outs. While Rodriguez is a somewhat unheralded player he has shown flashes of everyday regular upside.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... -deadline/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Pedro Leon, SS, Houston Astros (PRWL Santurce): 4-10, R, 2B, HR, RBI, K, SB.

A high-dollar international signing from Cuba, since coming stateside in 2021 Leon has struggled to find consistency at the plate. Despite a patient approach and the ability to track spin, he struggles with expanding the zone, especially when behind in the count. Houston’s hoping he can use the time in Puerto Rico to improve the swing decisions and take better advantage of his plus raw pop. His days at short look to be over with a move back into the outfield, where his speed and arm make him an above average defender.

Jhony Brito, RHP, New York Yankees (LIDOM Este): 3 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.

Brito doesn’t rack up gaudy strikeout numbers, but he finds a way to generate weak contact with his mid-nineties fastball, cutter, and above-average changeup. That solid repertoire, plus his ability to fill up the strike zone, are likely to earn him some spot starts next year in the Bronx.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... -on-lidom/

7. Mason Auer OF

Born: Mar 1, 2001
Ht.: 6'1" Wt.: 210

Minors: .290/.372/.487 | 15 HR | 48 SB | 458 AB

Track Record: A football and baseball star at Kickapoo High in Springfield, Mo., Auer barely played at Missouri State as a two-way freshman in the coronavirus-shortened 2020 season. He transferred to San Jacinto (Texas) JC and blossomed, hitting .373/.525/.627 with 11 home runs in 65 games. In his first full pro season spent at Low-A Charleston and High-A Bowling Green, Auer led the minors with 12 triples and led the Rays organization with 48 steals in 55 attempts. He was sent to the Arizona Fall League to gather additional at-bats.

Scouting Report: Coming out of the draft, the expectation was that Auer would be a toolsy if somewhat raw hitter, but he's proven to have more polish than expected. He has a smooth, level swing with some adjustability. Auer can be induced to chase, but he has feel for getting the barrel on the ball. He also has plus-plus raw power and flashes above-average game power as well. Auer toned down the leg kick he had used earlier in his career and now relies on a smaller toe tap to help him lock in on his timing. He's managed to combine solid contact ability (20% strikeout rate) with decent plate discipline (10% walk rate) and burgeoning power. Auer needs to polish his reads and routes, but he has the tools to be an above-average defender in center field and a plus defender in the corners. He has a top-of-the-scale arm that has been measured at 98.9 mph on a throw in the Arizona Fall League. He's a plus-plus runner who is a threat to steal any time he reaches.

The Future: The Rays keep developing athletic center fielders who can also be plus defenders in the corners. Auer is following in the footsteps of Josh Lowe and Kameron Misner, but he is a better pure hitter than either of them, with similar defensive ability and a better arm.

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 55. Power: 55. Run: 70. Field: 55. Arm: 80

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1 ... 023&type=P

Colby White, RHP, Rays: The Mississippi State product was the Rays’ sixth-round pick in 2019. He’s been on their Top 30 in the past and after a 2021 season that saw him pitch his way to Triple-A, he looked like he might impact the big league 'pen in 2022 until he needed Tommy John surgery in April. Assuming a return to health in 2023, he should be able to bring his 95-97 mph fastball, which he locates well up in the zone, along with a very effective slider, to Tampa.

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-unranked-p ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2. Oscar Colas

Pos: OF
Born: 1998-09-17
B: Left T: Left
H: 6′ 1″ W: 209 lbs.

History: Signed January 2022 out of Cuba for $2.7 million.
Previous Rank: N/A
Major League ETA: 2023

Year Team Level Age PA R 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG DRC+ BABIP
2022 CLT AAA 23 33 5 2 0 2 4 2 12 1 1 .387 .424 .645 – .588
2022 BIR AA 23 225 39 9 1 14 33 14 54 1 2 .306 .364 .563 – .355
2022 WS Hi-A 23 268 37 13 3 7 42 22 54 1 1 .311 .369 .475 – .375

The Report: There were quite a few shouts on White Sox Twitter for a Colás call-up in late summer, a reasonable request when considering that two of the primary Sox right fielders in 2022 came through the system as first basemen and the third was posting a well-below-average DRC+. Right field is the natural landing spot for Cólas, both because of team need and because–-though he is capable of handling center in a pinch—his speed and arm are average to above-average more than they are spectacular.

What is spectacular is the power, resulting from the merging of clear physical strength with wicked bat speed. The ball just carries differently when he makes solid contact–-opposite field liners sail past the outfielder for extra bases, pop-ups carry to the warning track. It’s plus pop at least, and Colás really began tapping into it following a July promotion to Double-A—he hit 16 bombs in 58 games the rest of the way. I’ve been at least slightly worried about the hit tool and the strikeout rate does still run a bit high, but any approach or swing-and-miss issues have not put a damper on his ability to wreck the majority of opposing pitchers. There will likely be a learning curve against big-league breaking stuff, but Colás should finally be getting the call early next season.

OFP: 55 / Slugging corner outfield bat

Variance: Low. There is some hit tool risk but he should be able to make enough contact for the pop to play. —Ben Spanier

Jesse Roche’s Fantasy Take: Colás’ aggressive approach (55% swing rate) is concerning, but, as long as it is married with 70%+ contact rates and oodles of loud contact, it shouldn’t be a detriment to his long-term success. With the MLB club starved for left-handed impact bats and corner outfield defense (see above), Colás could land an everyday role as soon as early 2023. Given his power potential and proximity, he is a top-100 fantasy prospect with underrated short- and long-term upside.

3. Bryan Ramos

Pos: 3B/2B
Born: 2002-03-12
B: Right T: Right
H: 6′ 2″ W: 190 lbs.

History: Signed July 2, 2018 out of Cuba for $300,000.
Previous Rank: On the Rise
Major League ETA: 2024

2021 KAN Lo-A 19 504 64 23 6 13 57 51 110 13 4 .244 .345 .415 103 .295
2022 BIR AA 20 86 8 3 0 3 12 5 15 0 1 .225 .279 .375 – .242
2022 WS Hi-A 20 433 64 16 1 19 74 40 71 1 0 .275 .350 .471 – .291

The Report: He lacks some of the flash and fame of Colás—for the moment at least—but Ramos is four years younger than his org mate and only one level behind him. The 20-year-old’s production was somewhat uneven. He jumped out to a scalding start at High-A Winston-Salem, but cooled down somewhat as the season wore on, and then struggled in a late-season cameo for Double-A Birmingham.

Ramos possesses clear plus pop to all fields, something that has been evident since his time with Low-A Kannapolis. What he was able to do this past season is tap into his latent hitting ability—for a young power hitter his swing is fluid and versatile, and he is able to move the barrel to pitches in all four quadrants of the zone. He is quick on inside heat, stays on breaking stuff, and hits everything hard. He already has a large frame and has migrated around a bit defensively, but at present he can handle the hot corner with his average glove and strong arm. Next year he’ll have to adjust to Double-A, but I think he’ll manage it well.

OFP: 55 / Above-average power-hitting third baseman.

Variance: Medium. Ramos hasn’t adjusted to Double-A pitching yet and might have to move off third base as he ages. —Ben Spanier

Jesse Roche’s Fantasy Take: Ramos may be the most underrated fantasy prospect in this system. In fact, he was the only prospect in the minors last year under 21 years old all season with 18+ home runs (22) and a strikeout rate under 20% (16.6%). His blend of power and bat-to-ball ability is uncommon. Although he likely doesn’t have high-end upside, Ramos is a top-200 fantasy prospect, and he projects to be a valuable long-term contributor, especially at an increasingly shallow third base.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/pros ... prospects/

Left-handed pitcher: Dax Fulton

Previously regarded as the top southpaw prep arm in the 2020 Draft class, Fulton showcased that top-tier ability in his first full campaign split between Beloit and Pensacola. After getting a taste of High-A at just 19 years old last season, the club's No. 8 prospect racked up 11.1 K/9 at the level over 20 starts this year.

“I think he’s probably our most improved player in the entire organization,” Crespo said.

Fulton continued to stack up strikeouts and strong performances upon a promotion to Double-A to close the year, notching a 2.55 xFIP and 37.5 percent K rate over four starts. His 150 total strikeouts paced all Marlins Minor Leaguers, yet he still managed to keep the ball in the yard with just eight homers allowed over 118 1/3 frames.

“He had one of the most impressive starts that I’ve seen in my time in professional baseball in our playoff game in Pensacola where he was pure dominance,” Crespo said of Fulton’s season-capping 13-strikeout, one-hit performance on Sept. 23. “The sky is the limit for him.”

https://www.milb.com/news/miami-marlins ... stars-2022
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

11. Lenyn Sosa, SS (Chicago White Sox)

Sosa cleaned up the swing decision issues he had in A-ball in 2021, and started hitting for intriguing power in the upper minors last season. After hitting his way to the majors in the summer, he resumed chasing a bit too much during his two stints in the bigs. Sosa should smooth that issue out in time, but the power is more likely to be on the fringe side of average despite the gaudy 2022 home run totals, and he’s a better fit for second than anywhere else on the dirt. He can play three spots and hit a bit, so that should make him a useful bench piece at least, and if he keeps some of those power gains against major league arms, he could be a useful starter for a few years. —Jeffrey Paternostro

12. Kohl Simas, P (Double-A Birmingham)

Simas was a huge pop-up story early this season, dominating Low-A hitters with a set of skills generally unseen at that level. He has an above-average command projection of a legit four-pitch mix that is already very advanced. The fastball sits mostly low-90s but with heft and run, his low-80s slider has good late bite, and his change fades well and is effective against lefties. Simas also pops a mid-70s curve for strikes as a change of pace. His stuff will get hit—the heater especially—if he is not on top of his location, but overall it’s a refreshing profile and a nice find from an undrafted free agent. Simas was out from early June to early July with a forearm issue and upon his return pitched primarily in relief. In 2023 he will need to maintain health and prove that his stuff can withstand stiffer competition. —Ben Spanier

Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

4. Norge Vera

Pos: P
Born: 2000-06-01
H: 6′ 4″ W: 185 lbs.

History: Signed February 2021 out of Cuba for $1.5 million.
Previous Rank: #4 (org)

Year Team Level Age W L SV G GS IP H HR BB% K% K GB% BABIP WHIP ERA DRA
2021 DSL WSX ROK 21 1 0 0 8 7 19.0 9 0 7.2% 49.3% 34 73.3% .300 0.74 0.00 –
2022 BIR AA 22 0 0 0 3 3 8.0 5 0 30.0% 30.0% 12 37.5% .313 2.13 5.62 6.19
2022 WS Hi-A 22 0 1 0 2 2 3.3 2 0 26.7% 33.3% 5 66.7% .333 1.80 8.10 4.84
2022 KAN Lo-A 22 0 2 0 8 8 24.0 12 1 15.2% 35.4% 35 51.0% .229 1.13 1.88 4.27

The Report: It was nearly a year-and-a-half between Vera’s signing day and his stateside debut, owing to injury issues and other concerns. This left plenty of time for the hype machine to get rolling, and for the most part the 22-year-old didn’t disappoint. Vera stands 6-foot-4 with the ideal hurler’s frame and owns a fastball that I’ve graded as a plus-plus. The pitch sat 94-96 on my looks, touching a couple ticks higher and explodes through the zone with the illusion of “rise.”

Vera possesses more control than command at present, but his delivery is clean and he has shown feel for locating the fastball up, which is where it plays best. There is also some deception in his motion, which begins deliberately, but eventually leads to a last-second burst of a quick arm action out of a high slot. His main secondary is a true overhand curve that seemed sluggish in his first couple of starts but appeared more promising on my third look. The pitch shows great depth and at times sharp and late movement, projecting above-average and occasionally flashing plus, contrasting well with the number one when located at the bottom of the zone. The change is a show-me pitch at present, but it’s improved command and consistent execution of the curve that will get Vera where he needs to go.

OFP: 55 / High-end but inconsistent third starter or sometimes dominant late-inning reliever.

Variance: High. Vera still needs to make improvements in command and consistency of pitch execution. —Ben Spanier

Jesse Roche’s Fantasy Take: Vera made his stateside debut this year and promptly ran up a 20.1% walk rate behind just 57% strikes across three levels. Not good. His fastball/curveball combo elicits whiffs, but he’ll need to seriously improve his command and control to develop into an impact fantasy arm.

5. Cristian Mena

Pos: P
Born: 2002-12-21
H: 6′ 2″ W: 170 lbs.

History: Signed July 2, 2019 out of the Dominican Republic for $250,000.
Previous Rank: N/A

Year Team Level Age W L SV G GS IP H HR BB% K% K GB% BABIP WHIP ERA DRA
2021 WSX ROK 18 1 4 0 13 12 48.3 69 8 9.1% 27.0% 62 48.6% .442 1.86 7.82 –
2022 BIR AA 19 0 1 0 3 3 10.0 16 1 2.2% 28.9% 13 35.5% .500 1.70 6.30 5.07
2022 WS Hi-A 19 1 3 0 10 10 40.7 39 4 12.3% 26.3% 47 44.5% .330 1.50 4.65 4.56
2022 KAN Lo-A 19 1 2 0 11 11 53.7 45 2 7.0% 30.7% 66 45.1% .328 1.12 2.68 4.44

The Report: Another White Sox IFA arm with an overhand slot, Mena is smaller-framed than his teammate Vera but nearly as powerful. He is also three years younger while taking on roughly the same competition. He has what would have been considered a very modern pitching profile a year or two ago–-high-spin fastball/curve combo that plays best when the heater is thrown up in the zone and the breaker is located down. Both pitches could end up plus for Mena but the curve is a safer bet to get there. The best version of the pitch is slurvy in a positive way—upper-70s to lower-80s with sharp vertical and horizontal action—but I’ve also seen him mix in a slower curve to steal called strikes against lefties. Most effective working glove-side and down, the hook gets whiffs against both lefties and righties. Mena’s fastball is low-to-mid 90s at present, but plays well when located properly, and he has a feel for pitching that is ahead of his age. His numbers suffered a bit when the 19-year-old was promoted to High-A, but even there he was managing a healthy strikeout rate against older and more advanced bats. Look for Mena in this upcoming season to consolidate with command and changeup gains.

OFP: 55 / Mid-rotation starter or back-end reliever.

Variance: High. As a primarily two-pitch guy Mena will need to continue to lock in his command. —Ben Spanier

Jesse Roche’s Fantasy Take: Mena was one of four pitching prospects that finished the season in Double-A at just 19 years old. The other three? Eury Pérez, Andrew Painter, and Ricky Tiedemann. That is very good company. As noted above, Mena can spin it, and his curveball carved through lineups all year. Should he continue to improve his fastball’s sitting velocity, he could truly break out next year.

Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

1. Gabriel Moreno | C

Born: Feb 14, 2000
Ht.: 5'11" Wt.: 170

Drafted/Signed: Venezuela, 2016.
Signed By: Francisco Plasencia.
Minors: .315/.386/.420 | 3 HR | 7 SB | 238 AB

Track Record: The Blue Jays signed Moreno in 2016 for just $25,000 at the age of 16 out of Venezuela. Since then, he has blossomed into one of the top prospects in baseball. Moreno progressed steadily over his first few seasons in the organization, first displaying advanced plate discipline and defense in consecutive seasons in the Dominican Summer League and the Gulf Coast League. He made adjustments to his swing to tap into more power before his 2019 season with Low-A Lansing, and the changes and resulting production helped cement him as one of the top catching prospects in the low minors. He made further adjustments at Double-A New Hampshire in 2021 to produce additional power and was on his way to a banner season before a fractured thumb in late June put him on the injured list for two months. He returned to finish the year at Triple-A Buffalo and further enhanced his standing with a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League. Moreno began 2022 at Triple-A Buffalo and continued to impress offensively. He hit .315/.386/.420 over 62 games and made his major league debut on June 11. He hit .315/.356/.377 in 25 games with the Blue Jays and made their American League Wild Card Series roster.

Scouting Report: Always an elite hitter, Moreno continues to make contact at one of the highest rates of any prospect. He possesses superior hand-eye coordination and a discerning eye that he uses to identify spin quickly out of the pitcher's hand. His swing plane has flattened out, and he is naturally comfortable shooting pitches on the outer half of the plate to the opposite field. After showing increased power and more aggressiveness in two-strike counts in previous seasons, Moreno has become a more conservative hitter as he's moved up the ladder. His two-strike swing has become more subdued, leading to an increase in line drives and ground balls and a corresponding decrease in fly balls and exit velocity numbers. His power production has dropped as a result, but he has the bat control, pitch recognition and strength to make adjustments and get to 12-15 home run power in the future. Moreno faces few questions about his ability to stick at catcher as an above-average defender with a plus arm. He is an adept receiver, gets out of the crouch quickly on throws and is a twitchy, fluid mover behind the plate. He's a good blocker and pitch-framer and shows the ability to manage games in the moment.

The Future: Moreno got on-the-job training in MLB in 2022. He made appearances at second base, third base and left field in order to increase his flexibility, but his future is behind the plate. He'll have the opportunity to seize a larger share of the catching duties in 2023 and could be on his way to becoming an all-star.

Scouting Grades: Hitting: 70. Power: 45. Speed: 40. Fielding: 60. Arm: 60.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/1 ... izational/

Noah (LA):

If you knew for certain Moreno would be moved out from behind the plate, how much would that affect you opinion about his future value? Is he such a good hitter that he has All-Star upside even in, say, left field?

Geoff Pontes: I'm not sure the bat is quite there yet, if his raw power translates to game power, it's possible. That said his abilities behind the plate drive the profile a bit.

Robert (Toronto):

Did [Adam] Macko factor into the Top 10 list discussion? If not, what are your thoughts regarding Macko? Thanks.

Geoff Pontes: The top 10 went to print before the Teoscar trade. That said, he's going to rank just outside the top 10 in the handbook. I saw him in AFL and had a chance to chat with some scouts about him. He's good feel for a breaking ball and the fastball was up to 95 mph in my look. The curveball and slider are very different pitches but he'll show feel for both. Command really comes and goes and health has been an issue. He's intriguing.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ects-chat/

White Sox: Oscar Colas, OF (No. 2/MLB No. 95)

Signed for $2.7 million in January, Colas hit .314/.371/.524 with 23 homers in 117 games while advancing from High-A to Triple-A. While he won't be "The Cuban Ohtani" he once was touted as, he does have well-above-average raw power and arm strength that could plug Chicago's hole in right field quite nicely.

Dodgers: Miguel Vargas, 3B/OF (No. 3/MLB No. 41)

The Dodgers could have openings at third base and in the outfield, leaving plenty of opportunity for Vargas, who defected from Cuba with his father Lazaro (the DH on the 1992 and 1996 Olympic champions) in November 2015 and signed for $300,000 two years later. He has an advanced understanding of hitting and solid raw power, which translated into a .304/.404/.511 line with 17 homers and 16 steals in 113 Triple-A games before he got a cup of coffee in Los Angeles.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rookie-of-the- ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

8. Jose Rodriguez

Pos: SS
Born: 2001-05-13
H: 5′ 11″ W: 175 lbs.

History: Signed February 2018 out of the Dominican Republic for $50,000.
Previous Rank: #5 (org)

2021 GDD WIN 20 66 5 1 1 1 13 4 10 2 0 .226 .273 .323 – .255
2021 BIR AA 20 14 2 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 .214 .214 .286 90 .250
2021 WS Hi-A 20 126 19 4 1 5 19 5 13 10 5 .361 .381 .538 137 .369
2021 KAN Lo-A 20 361 58 22 4 9 32 21 57 20 5 .283 .328 .452 111 .317
2022 BIR AA 21 484 75 21 6 11 68 38 66 40 10 .280 .340 .430 – .308

The Report: Rodríguez burst onto the prospect scene in 2021 thanks to impressive top-line stats that were driven primarily by prodigious hand-eye coordination and excellent bat speed. He was also swinging at nearly everything, which foreshadowed his struggles once he hit the upper minors. Rodríguez got off to a very slow start at Double-A this season but managed to rebound convincingly and finished with a very respectable line while playing in a difficult park for hitters. He still prefers to swing—he’ll probably always prefer to swing—but he did manage to up his walk rate a bit in 2022 and continues to limit his strikeouts. A main concern going forward is whether he is selective enough to maximize his contact outcomes—his power output is limited despite consistently hefty swings, and he hits a lot of ground balls. Rodríguez has the required defensive tools for a premium spot, but hasn’t always played the cleanest shortstop, and last season split his time between the two middle infield positions. The contact/speed/potential for more power output keeps him intriguing.

OFP: 50 / Everyday middle-infielder driven by bat-to-ball, a sometimes frustrating spark plug.

Variance: High. He’s managed to mitigate some of the approach concerns, but they still exist. —Ben Spanier

Jesse Roche’s Fantasy Take: Before a broken hamate bone ended his season in August, Rodríguez was on an absolute tear, hitting 10 (of his 11) home runs over his final 18 games. If he can tap more regularly into his sneaky pop, he has legit fantasy upside. Even if his power falls short, Rodriguez can be a source of batting average–he has consistently hit .280+ in the minors–and speed–he was 40-for-50 in stolen bases last year. Further, the White Sox recently added him to the 40-man roster, and he may debut at some point in 2023. Rodriguez should be rostered in leagues with up to 200 prospects.

15. Yoelqui Céspedes, OF (Double-A Birmingham)

I concluded last offseason’s blurb on Céspedes by calling him high-variance and expressing that “we need to see the hit tool play against high-level pitching.” In 2022 we saw him strike out in 30% of his plate appearances as a 24-year-old in Double-A. The jury might be allowed some additional time to deliberate, but a verdict is probably on its way shortly. There is still significant defensive utility here, so a future as a fourth outfielder buoyed by speed and pop is not unrealistic. —Ben Spanier

... Two of those vacated 40-man spots were filled by infielders Jose Rodriguez and Bryan Ramos, both of whom wrapped up their seasons at Double-A (Rodriguez spent all year there) as part of “Project Birmingham“. The 21-year-old Rodriguez has had offensive success throughout his career despite a very aggressive approach caused by questionable breaking ball recognition. An incredible rotational athlete with a swing similar to Yuli Gurriel’s, Rodriguez can shorten up to turn on down-and-in pitches with power, and his bat path helps him spray outer-third fastballs the other way for extra bases. The lack of breaking ball recognition causes Rodriguez to swing inside lots of sliders, even ones that finish on the outer half of the plate. This makes him somewhat volatile as a prospect even though he’s on the cusp of the big leagues.

Ramos is similar in that his game is rough around the edges but he’s always performed, only falling off late in the year after a promotion to Double-A, where he just didn’t seem to have his legs. He’ll likely remain just outside the Top 100 this offseason and spend 2023 in a developmental role on the 40-man.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/40-man-dead ... l-central/

Return to “Musings from Maine”