JB & the Yankees

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

JB & the Yankees

Post by Cardinals »

It's pretty clear that JB won't be in the league in 2023. He's admitted as such to myself and Pat privately. It's not an IBC thing, he doesn't care about baseball any longer.

We cannot give that team to somebody as is. I think we'll need to have our first minidraft in years. If we're in agreement there, the question then becomes who to open it up to?

We also have a couple of Yankees fans in the league. Shawn and Z. I'd give the first crack at the Yankees to Shawn as well.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Reds

Re: JB & the Yankees

Post by Reds »

That’s unfortunate. Agreed on Shawn getting first crack on the franchise. We could open up the mini draft to everyone, teams below a certain level of competitiveness, or newer GM’s.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Reds wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:39 pm That’s unfortunate. Agreed on Shawn getting first crack on the franchise. We could open up the mini draft to everyone, teams below a certain level of competitiveness, or newer GM’s.
My thought is to open it up to everybody. If we went with newer GMs, it's only a couple. I think the team is such a good team that it warrants opening it up to anybody.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Reds

Post by Reds »

I’m fine with that.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Agree that by tenure Shawn should get first dibs, but he's less active than JB. From an active GM perspective, it should be Z.

As for mini draft, I prefer parameters rather than half the league changing teams. But I don't know what the interest level is. Or to Ken's point, do we limit to bottom tier teams. I think several bad teams would love the chance to land one of 4-5 superstars, so there's enough pull there to give up what you've built to try to get one of those big names.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Guardians wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:47 pm Agree that by tenure Shawn should get first dibs, but he's less active than JB. From an active GM perspective, it should be Z.

As for mini draft, I prefer parameters rather than half the league changing teams. But I don't know what the interest level is. Or to Ken's point, do we limit to bottom tier teams. I think several bad teams would love the chance to land one of 4-5 superstars, so there's enough pull there to give up what you've built to try to get one of those big names.
I doubt half the league would want to change teams. How do you even define bottom tier teams? Below .400 WP? What if you are at .400 even like Degen? I think it's an unnecessary gate.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Regarding who gets to be the Yankees going forward, I am all for anything we can give to Shawn. In my mind, if he wants it, its his.

For the mini draft, I am 100% on board with not only having a mini draft, but opening it up to anyone who wants in. If the argument against opening it to anyone is that it shifts the power of teams too much, well every off season we often have teams that move and we also have teams that might go from competing to selling everything and rebuilding or from rebuilding to trading prospects to competing now (or in Z's case, maybe doing both in the same offseason!). I dont think as many teams as we all think will want to join it, but even if a lot do I think its a good thing. The league as a whole has been rather stagnant the past 4-5 years and shaking things up like this to get more movement, more activity, etc I think is a net positive for this league.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Pirates wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 pm
Guardians wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:47 pm Agree that by tenure Shawn should get first dibs, but he's less active than JB. From an active GM perspective, it should be Z.

I doubt half the league would want to change teams. How do you even define bottom tier teams? Below .400 WP? What if you are at .400 even like Degen? I think it's an unnecessary gate.
I don't think it would be difficult to calculate parameters, but if exco wants it to be open to 30 teams, make it open to 30 teams.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

The only other thing I would say is it should be a blind entry. Either you're in based on knowledge of just the Yankees being in or you're out. No waiting around to see who else you might be able to get.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

I agree with that part. Its all at once kind of thing, email directly and not on the boards here.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Agree there.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

As I indicated to Pat, I am sorry to read about JB and his apparent decision to leave the IBC. I agree Shawn should have first dibs on the Yankees. I am ambivalent about a mini-draft but for what it is worth, even though I am sure I would/am currently be considered a "bottom tier team" I am pretty sure I would NOT want to participate in a min-draft if I had a choice. I really like the potential of my roster (especially the starting rotation) though I understand it will likely be 2024 before I begin to realize it here in the IBC. I feel I would probably lose as much or more future talent then I would gain ... and feel my "gains" through participating in a mini-draft would only get to better but still mediocre team.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

In thinking of the logistics behind this mini-draft, I think it would be best if this could occur just after the WS. We need it completed and done well before the draft as the existing draft picks for all teams involved will be draftable in the mini draft. Also getting it done in November would allow the majority of the offseason for a) teams to then trade/tweak their new teams as they feel and b) allow the rest of the league to adjust to the new power level of teams in their league/division.

I think also the exact timeline of things should depend also on whether JB makes the playoffs. I dont think we should be planning the drawing and quartering of his team while they are still fighting for something in the playoffs.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Marlins wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:23 am In thinking of the logistics behind this mini-draft, I think it would be best if this could occur just after the WS. We need it completed and done well before the draft as the existing draft picks for all teams involved will be draftable in the mini draft. Also getting it done in November would allow the majority of the offseason for a) teams to then trade/tweak their new teams as they feel and b) allow the rest of the league to adjust to the new power level of teams in their league/division.

I think also the exact timeline of things should depend also on whether JB makes the playoffs. I dont think we should be planning the drawing and quartering of his team while they are still fighting for something in the playoffs.
Agree
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “ExCo General”