Draft Complete - Next Steps

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Draft Complete - Next Steps

Post by Cardinals »

Our draft has mercifully ended.

All players eligible for the draft who went undrafted are now on waivers for 48 hours, until Wednesday, noon ET. After noon ET Wednesday, these players will all become free agents and will be eligible for signing.

Please email rosters@ibcleague.com with any claims you wish to make. They will be announced and processed noon Weds.

As far as the draft, lets continue the league-wide discussion on how to improve the draft. Obviously, nobody is happy with what just happened this year. We'll make tweaks for 2023, but would like everybody's input.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Re: Draft Complete - Next Steps

Post by Marlins »

Time between picks down from 24 hrs to 24 mins...
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Draft picks have been converted into players on our roster (thanks, Shawn!).

Players are now eligible to be signed with 21- designations.

Thanks, everybody. We will fix the draft for next year.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Pirates wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:58 pm As far as the draft, lets continue the league-wide discussion on how to improve the draft. Obviously, nobody is happy with what just happened this year. We'll make tweaks for 2023, but would like everybody's input.
Easiest solution, drop the 5th round!
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Mariners wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:07 am
Pirates wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:58 pm As far as the draft, lets continue the league-wide discussion on how to improve the draft. Obviously, nobody is happy with what just happened this year. We'll make tweaks for 2023, but would like everybody's input.
Easiest solution, drop the 5th round!
Phenomenal idea.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

How does this help the pace with rounds 1 through 4?
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Some initial thoughts/suggestions for consideration:

Hold round 1 live. Let's all jump on a zoom/google hangout call for an evening, crack open some beers, and make some picks - fantasy football/baseball live draft style. Make the draft a little bit more engaging.

Build the queue for offline picks. We used to have this. How do we not have this anymore?

Miss your pick? No make up pick. You should have some kind of consequence for missing your pick and holding up the draft. At a minimum if we are to continue to allow makeup picks, you should have to wait until the end of the round.

Figure out draft pick trading - I think this can be a factor sometimes - back room deals that happen all the time, but could this be potentially holding up a pick due to ongoing negotiations?
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Exco has started discussing this.

One thing Nate mentioned I want to build upon. I think one of the things we're missing is a level of community/camaraderie. That's easy to erode when families and careers happen. It's no one's fault.

I think we should try to establish some kind of regular meet up. Maybe a monthly chat at a regular time that is late enough for the West coasters as well? We can talk about baseball, movies, families.

I think regular engagement will help with the draft generally. If you're more involved you're likely to be more motivated and on-time/in-tune with what's going on. I think a lot of people who lag in the draft are also generally uninvolved with the league.

Thoughts?
Reds

Post by Reds »

Guardians wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:57 pm Exco has started discussing this.

One thing Nate mentioned I want to build upon. I think one of the things we're missing is a level of community/camaraderie. That's easy to erode when families and careers happen. It's no one's fault.

I think we should try to establish some kind of regular meet up. Maybe a monthly chat at a regular time that is late enough for the West coasters as well? We can talk about baseball, movies, families.

I think regular engagement will help with the draft generally. If you're more involved you're likely to be more motivated and on-time/in-tune with what's going on. I think a lot of people who lag in the draft are also generally uninvolved with the league.

Thoughts?
Good idea
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

We did at least one over COVID. Very enjoyable. May not make them all, but certainly down to try it out.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Hey, a live first round might give you guys the edge you need to end my reign of draft dominance, but prob not. Four top-100 guys from this year's class already. FOUR!

I'd prob attend a planned meet-up on Zoom or in-person.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Orioles wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:48 pm Hey, a live first round might give you guys the edge you need to end my reign of draft dominance, but prob not. Four top-100 guys from this year's class already. FOUR!

All that dominance has really led to a lot of championships, Dan. Keep it up! 🤣
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Guardians wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:51 pm
Orioles wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:48 pm Hey, a live first round might give you guys the edge you need to end my reign of draft dominance, but prob not. Four top-100 guys from this year's class already. FOUR!

All that dominance has really led to a lot of championships, Dan. Keep it up! 🤣
Zing! Got me there, Pat.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)

Return to “Announcements”