Orioles Prospect Report - April 2022

Dan Vacek's blog

Moderator: Orioles

Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Orioles Prospect Report - April 2022

Post by Orioles »

BA article MLB Scouts Identify 20 Players Turning Heads At 2022 Spring Training features 3 IBC Orioles...

Daniel Espino, RHP, Guardians

“He had like, the best stuff I’ve ever seen. He was 99-100 with like a (Jacob) deGrom slider at 90-92 and a plus curveball. It was just unbelievable. He actually looks taller to me. I saw him last year and in our computer system he’s listed at 6 feet, but he looks at least 6-2, 225, and he’s strong like an ox. It’s some special stuff. I think he’s got a chance to be the No. 1 pitching prospect in baseball before too long. I don’t know if I’ve seen anybody with more to offer than he does. It was nothing but strikes the times I’ve seen him."

Bobby Miller, RHP, Dodgers

“He threw the best two back field innings I’ve ever seen. It was 99-101. There was no fastball below 99. The changeup and the slider were both plus or flashed plus. It was strikes. I mean, it was a Triple-A game, but he faced Ryder Jones and Patrick Kivlehan and guys with big league time and no one had a (expletive) chance against him. They’re going to try and do the whole Andrew Heaney thing for a while and when that doesn’t work they’re going to have Miller to turn to.”

Julio Rodriguez, OF, Mariners

“The entire org for the Mariners seems to do a pretty good job with plate discipline and having an approach, and he had one of those. He struck out three times one of the days I saw him, but he wasn’t overly antsy or swinging the bat just because. He’s tracking pitches right now. It’s not the same punchouts Cody Bellinger was having where it’s like, you don’t want to be that lost at the plate this early. For him it’s just calm. It was, 'OK, I’m watching this pitch in.' He’s out here slowing the game down. For him to be barely 21 and have that much of a presence on the field is incredible.”

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Orioles

Re: Orioles Prospect Report - April 2022

Post by Orioles »

BP's MMTP this week featured a pair of IBC O's...

James Wood, OF, Padres

"Selected by the Padres with the 62nd overall pick in the 2021 draft, Wood signed for $2.6 million and reported to Rookie ball where he promptly slashed .372/.465/.535 over 26 games. The now 19-year-old outfielder, listed at 6-foot-7 and a lean 240-pounds, utilizes his long limbs to generate impressive leverage and power from his left-handed swing. He demonstrates advanced plate awareness and pitch selectivity, and combines it with an exceptional feel for the barrel and the ability to drive the ball to all fields. His long strides allow him to cover vast outfield ground and he’s yet to be caught while pilfering 11 bases in 28 career games. Wood currently plays center field but may slide to a corner as he matures physically. His plus hit tool and 60-grade power will produce plenty of runs from the middle of the lineup, and could have him moving quickly through the Padres farm system. If he can stay healthy and build upon his talented foundation, he could be in the big leagues by his 21st birthday."

Prelander Berroa, SP, Giants

"Prelander Berroa made his season debut in Eugene’s 7-3 victory over Spokane on Thursday. He needed just 50 pitches to breeze through four shutout innings, facing the minimum 12 batters in an impressive first outing of the year. Berroa’s stuff already looked comparable to his peaks last season, inducing a career-best 26% whiff-rate. His fastball sat in the mid-90s, touching 98 mph on the stadium gun, and his breaking ball gave Spokane’s hitters fits all day.

Berroa went from being an arm to watch to one of the better pitching prospects in the Giants’ system last year, in his first taste of full-season ball with Low-A San Jose. He showed an improved ability to stay around the zone, maintained his mid-90s velocity deep into his starts, and flashed a plus breaking ball. Over one 10-start stretch, Berroa recorded 68 strikeouts, just 16 walks, and a 1.93 ERA across 46-2/3 innings of work. Most scouts still see Berroa shifting to the pen, although I’m personally higher on his chances of sticking in the rotation.

Berroa’s feel for the strike zone still has a long way to go, and his control can disappear in some outings. His primary breaking ball, which is usually classified as a slider, is a legitimate swing-and-miss offering, but becomes a loopier pitch when he tries to throw it for a strike, often floating into a dangerous area. Opposing hitters have been too overwhelmed by his high-velocity and diving breaking ball to make him pay, but it has disguised some need to refine his secondary pitches. He did start flashing a changeup that had some diving action last season, but he has yet to throw it with enough consistency to make any legitimate claims about its long-term viability. In his most recent start, Berroa showed a willingness to lean on his secondaries, using a slider as his primary pitch. He showed an ability to throw a sharper version in the dirt for chases, and to float a slurvier version in to steal called strikes.

Already Rule 5-eligible, it’s unclear how much longer the Giants will give him to stick in the rotation, but the tools are there for Berroa to become an exciting starter if given the opportunity."

Orioles

Post by Orioles »

From this week's BA Hot Sheet...

7. Daniel Espino, RHP, Guardians
Team: Double-A Akron (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: 0-0, 2.08, 8.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 16 SO, 2 HR

The Scoop: After drawing glowing reviews during spring training, Espino has carried his dominance over to the regular season. The 6-foot-2 righthander opened the season with four innings, two runs allowed, no walks and nine strikeouts against Erie on April 9 and followed with 4.2 no-hit innings with seven strikeouts against Reading on April 16. Most notably, 11 of his 16 strikeouts came on his fastball, meaning he’s dominating without even relying on his best pitch—his slider. (KG)

Orioles

Post by Orioles »

From BP's April 25 MMTP...

Daniel Espino, RHP, Cleveland Guardians (Double-A Akron)

I left Long Island a little before noon with the hope of having ample time to catch some of Akron and Bowie’s BPs before the game’s 6:35 first pitch. That, uh, didn’t happen, as I didn’t make it to Prince George’s Stadium until the end of the second inning. As I’m getting situated, I’m hearing consistent chatter from folks about how Espino was the best pitcher they’ve seen in a while. And, sure, I guess that would make sense. Come to find out that he struck out the first six batters he faced, getting the first three batters out on 10 pitches – all of which were strikes. He went on to record 11 consecutive strikeouts to start the game en route to 14 total over 5 innings. He accomplished the feat in a mere 66 pitches.

Given the reports we’ve had on Espino over the years, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect coming into Saturday’s game. His arsenal was everything I’d heard and then some: a heater sitting 99 and touching 101 with premium characteristics, a late-breaking slider which was the best I’ve observed in my scouting career, and a distinct curve that. despite not being as lethal as his slider, flashes vertical, double-plus action. What was by far the most encouraging observation, however, was his ability to command each of his pitches. To put it into perspective, I have a section in my reports where I note tendencies when the pitcher is ahead or behind in the count. This was the first time I had to write “NA” in the “behind” section because he was ahead in every count. The delivery, though not textbook in its aesthetic, features good lower half use and relatively easy arm action.

We ranked Espino as the second-best prospect in the Guardians’ system in the offseason, second only to George Valera. I mean no disrespect to Valera with what I’m about to say – Valera also played Saturday evening and showed the typical gap power and beautiful stroke we’ve come to know and love – but I believe Espino has usurped him as the org’s top prospect. I’ve never OFP 7’d a prospect… until now. —Smith Brickner

Griff McGarry, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies (High-A Jersey Shore)

When we last left our protagonist this past September, he was throwing mid-90s with a plus-flashing curve. I wasn’t too high on his slider or change at the time, and his long history of poor command left a relief outcome as door no. 1.

Well, I saw McGarry for two innings last week, and he was 96-98 with incredible, bat-evading movement all around the zone, and further improved command. The slider now has a strong horizontal tilt and is firmly plus with the best ones flashing plus-plus. He struck out all six batters he faced, and generally had some of the most impressive stuff I’ve ever seen at the A-ball level. (Well, until Andrew Painter shows up in the Sally, I guess.)

I predicted in January that McGarry would be a 2023 Top 101 prospect if he could hold even fringe-average command, and even though he’s not fully stretched out I’m confident he’s moving in that direction. At this rate, if his fastball and slider gains hold along with the command once he’s throwing four or five innings, he might show up on a national list as soon as the Midseason 50. —Jarrett Seidler

From BA's Fantasy: FAAB Targets for Week 3...

Carson Williams, SS Rays

League Type: Leagues With 250+ Prospects Rostered

The third shortstop from the 2021 prep class featured here, Williams has been as impressive as Muncy and Merrill if not more so in the early going. A former two-way prospect as an amateur, Williams is now a hitter only and is showing why that was a wise choice. He’s hitting .381/.426/.714 with seven extra-base hits entering Sunday. While there’s been some swing and miss, the combination of power and feel to hit makes Williams an enticing add in dynasty leagues of moderate depth. A strong-armed defender with projection remaining, even if Williams moves off of shortstop he has a strong baseline of skills to fit as a third baseman. Williams is another precocious teenager from the 2021 draft to pounce on now if he's available in your league.

Kyle Bradish, RHP Orioles

League Type: Redraft Stash

Depending on the depth of your league and the value of pitching, Bradish could be a wise buy. Bradish is likely the next pitcher not named Grayson Rodriguez to get the call for the Orioles. Bradish is already a member of the Orioles 40-man roster and with a full season of Triple-A experience there’s not much left for Bradish to prove in the minor leagues. Armed with an unusual fastball that sits 92-95 mph with cutter shape, the righthander mixes a hard sweeping slider at 84-86 mph with a curveball with big downer break and plus velocity at 82-85 mph. He’ll show a changeup but it’s rarely used. His ability to land his cut-fastball, sweepy slider and downer curveball for strikes with above-average velocity makes him a potential treasure in deeper redraft leagues where innings are at a premium.

Austin Hendrick, OF Reds

League Type: Leagues With 250+ Prospects Rostered

I’ll fully admit Hendrick was one of my favorite prospects during the 2020 draft cycle and despite a down 2021 debut, I’m still in the camp of believers. He’s hitting .325/.449/.575 entering play on Sunday and he’s already at 40% of his home run total from his disappointing debut. The strikeouts are still an issue—particularly against lefthanded pitching—but the power is up and he’s been more aggressive on pitches in the zone. There are likely a lot of leagues of moderate depth where Hendrick is available. It’s worth throwing a couple of FAAB dollars his way to see if he’s figured something out. If the approach once again tanks, move on.

Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Three IBC O's on the April 26 BA Hot Sheet...

2. Daniel Espino, RHP, Guardians
Team: Double-A Akron (Eastern)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 3.60 1 GS, 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 HR, 0 BB, 14 SO.

The Scoop: The praise for Espino coming out of spring training was almost deafening. He was consistently cited as the most impressive pitching prospect of spring training, and nothing he’s done so far for Double-A Akron has cooled that ardor. On Saturday, Espino struck out the side in the first on 10 pitches (all strikes), thanks to his changeup. In the second inning, he struck out the side on 12 pitches (10 of which were strikes), relying heavily on his 99-100 mph fastball. He ended up striking out the first 11 batters he faced. He gave up a solo home run to Gunnar Henderson before striking out the next batter he faced. His 14 K’s tied Painter and Tanner Gordon for the most in pro baseball in an outing this season. (JC)

10. Henry Davis, C, Pirates
Team: High-A Greensboro (South Atlantic)

Why He’s Here: .529/.619/.765 (9-for-17) 6 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 0 BB, 5 SO, 1 SB.

The Scoop: The No. 1 pick in the 2021 draft has gotten off to a very hot start at the plate. He’s wearing out left and center fielders with line drive singles and doubles. He’s also proving to be a target for pitchers—his seven hit-by-pitches are second most in the minors. Defensively, Davis has a little more work to do. Aberdeen ran wild on Davis and the Greensboro pitching staff, swiping eight bags in nine tries over Davis’ four games at catcher. (JC)

15. Carson Williams, SS, Rays
Team: Low-A Charleston (Carolina)

Why He’s Here: .500/.500/.900 (10-for-20), 6 R, 3 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 1 BB, 4 SO.

The Scoop: It’s easy to get overlooked among last year’s incredibly deep first round prep shortstop class. Williams was the last of eight off the board in part because there were concerns about his bat. So far, so good. Williams has an eight-game hitting streak, but more impressively, he has at least two hits in each of his past seven games. (JC)

Return to “Orioles”