Oliver Perez

Moderator: Executive Committee

Reds

Oliver Perez

Post by Reds »

A few days ago I signed Oliver Perez when I saw the Diamondbacks did. While looking over his recent stats I saw he actually spent time in Mexico last season and pitched and I’m wondering if he should go through the ZiPS bidding process. Please take a look and let me know because if that is the case I will release him. Thanks
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Re: Oliver Perez

Post by Cardinals »

If he came over from a foreign league he is subject to ZiPS bidding process.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Reds

Post by Reds »

I found game logs from Mexican league and he pitched there in July and did not return to MLB last season. So I released him.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Not saying in this case, but could this become a bit of a gray area issue? If a guy isnt on a major league roster plays in the Dominican Summer league with some prospects on ML rosters, is he in a "foreign league"? But if the same guy stays in the US and plays for the Atlantic League, he isn't part of the zips bidding? I know these are really one off cases, but also shouldnt be too hard to tighten up the rules to make sure its clear.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Marlins wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:00 pm Not saying in this case, but could this become a bit of a gray area issue? If a guy isnt on a major league roster plays in the Dominican Summer league with some prospects on ML rosters, is he in a "foreign league"? But if the same guy stays in the US and plays for the Atlantic League, he isn't part of the zips bidding? I know these are really one off cases, but also shouldnt be too hard to tighten up the rules to make sure its clear.
Alright, let's tighten them up then. What do you suggest?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Ok. So here is the current language in the rules:

ZiPS budgets will also be the tool to acquire players who leave the US to play elsewhere and return to an MLB team. These players are distinct from foreign players eligible for the draft (see IX Drafts). The same process described above in VII (2) will apply to foreign free agents. These foreign free agents will only be eligible for signing through the ZiPS bidding process in the offseason.

And the rules from the Draft section states:

Players subject to the draft will include any amateur player who has been signed by an MLB organization during the prior calendar year, whether through draft or international signings. (EXAMPLE: If a player was signed to a contract during calendar year 2018 but had not been signed to a contract prior to 2018 then he is eligible for the IBC 2018 draft, which is held in February 2019). Any players not subject to the MLB International Free Agent pool (such as professional players from Cuba, Japan, Korea and Mexico not affiliated with an MLB organization prior to the previous calendar year (2018 for the IBC 2018 draft) are eligible to be drafted. If the player does not officially sign with an MLB organization prior to the beginning of the IBC draft, they are not eligible to be drafted until the following year.

I suggest the below changes (in [b]bold[/b] below, but since quoting doesn't work for me here, who knows if bold does either...)

ZiPS budgets will also be the tool to acquire players who leave the US to play elsewhere and return to an MLB team. These players are distinct from foreign players eligible for the draft (see IX Drafts). [b]Any player with any playing time in any league outside the US who spent 0 days on an MLB 40 man roster that year but at some point in their career previously was with an MLB organization is eligible. [/b] The same process described above in VII (2) will apply to foreign free agents. These foreign free agents will only be eligible for signing through the ZiPS bidding process in the offseason.

Players subject to the draft will include any amateur player who has been signed by an MLB organization during the prior calendar year, whether through draft or international signings. (EXAMPLE: If a player was signed to a contract during calendar year 2018 but had not been signed to a contract prior to 2018 then he is eligible for the IBC 2018 draft, which is held in February 2019). Any players not subject to the MLB International Free Agent pool (such as professional players from Cuba, Japan, Korea and Mexico [b]never previously[/b] affiliated with an MLB organization prior to the previous calendar year (2018 for the IBC 2018 draft)) are eligible to be drafted. If the player does not officially sign with an MLB organization prior to the beginning of the IBC draft, they are not eligible to be drafted until the following year.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

JP: I don't think I have permissions to cancel waiver claims or reset waivers, but John needs his claim reversed, as he has bid on Perez. He's currently #9 in order.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Will get it fixed later today
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “ExCo General”