Draft Pick Trading

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Draft Pick Trading

Post by Marlins »

As most of you hopefully know, we do have a rule in place in the IBC Rules against trading picks/picked players from when the draft starts until both GMs involved in a deal are done drafting.

e. Drafted Players are also not tradable until after a GM is completed drafting.

We all know that a lot of behind the scenes deals still happen and Exco has actually been discussing this rule recently. Typically, these remain behind the scenes, but a trade yesterday did not. The reason for the rule when originally implemented was twofold: first, the draft system we used for a while didn’t lend itself well to changing around the teams for each pick. Second, to keep the draft moving along, keep someone from holding up their pick to shop the pick. Now that we just use the message boards for the draft we have less reason to keep the rule in place. In fact, in the past couple weeks since the new MLB CBA was put in place, the Exco has been discussing how to officially allow trading during the draft while trying to put some kind of a “don’t be a dick and hold up the draft” rule in place (in addition to discussing future drafts mirroring MLB with draft order, intl draft, etc). In the meantime, we’re going to ask that for now the trade done yesterday be reversed until both GMs finish drafting and everyone keep the trading behind the scenes please. And, please don’t be a dick and hold up the draft.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Re: Draft Pick Trading

Post by Royals »

I apologize to everyone. I knew upcoming picks could not be traded but didn't realize that picks already made could not be. I should have read up more on all the rules in the league but I have kind of been just winging it. Apologize again, i will know for the future.
Looking forward to my second year in the IBC and finally just got to make my first draft pick, which I was very happy Morissette dropped to me.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Re: Draft Pick Trading

Post by Padres »

Royals wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:40 am I apologize to everyone. I knew upcoming picks could not be traded but didn't realize that picks already made could not be.
Likewise I apologize for the confusion I took part in causing. I apparently forgot that we can't trade drafted players until both teams involved in the trade are done drafting ... and strangely, no one reminded me when I posted that Suzuki was available for trade or in any of the discussions I had with others about the offers I was considering.

I have one pick left in this year's draft which I will use ... after JP populates the picks with the actual players selected, I will honor the agreement that Larry and I reached so Suzuki will begin the 2022 IBC season with the Royals and Meyer, et. al, will begin the season on the White Sox.

Return to “Announcements”