Trading Draft Picks

Moderator: Executive Committee

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Trading Draft Picks

Post by Guardians »

Question for the group to consider:

In the past, we frowned upon trading draft picks during the draft because the draft could be delayed artificially because owners tried to wait 24 hours to try to make a deal. Some have used 24 hours for a variety of reasons I imagine (work, lack of time taken to prep, etc). However, some people have shared that their view is there is no reason to rush the draft because there's nothing going on anyway. Certainly, I think that's more true with a 2/1 start than 3/1, but we've had a decent pace this year despite the lockout.

There have been several deals for picks made this draft that just won't be finalized until after the draft, which seems pretty silly. The site allows the ability to trade these assets. I just don't know if there is anything other than an admin burden of entering picks on the thread that is the main drawback to allowing it.

I'd be interested in JP's perspective (or perhaps Shawn's) about whether it would be a burden to do. Otherwise, I think we should just allow assets to be dealt between the All Star Break and until the end of the draft the next calendar year.

Thoughts?
Reds

Re: Trading Draft Picks

Post by Reds »

Since many are dealing picks anyways I’m open to considering a rule change.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

I agree. This year more than ever its quite open fact that picks are still being traded after the draft starts, maybe worth putting something in place to make it work.

With the draft not really using OOPSS anymore, I would think it would be easy enough to continue trading the individually numbered picks up until the draft then at a certain point the picks get turned into the players?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Part of the reason that this is even in place is to make sure that the pace of the draft isn't held up. e.g., I have pick 4, picks 1-3 went differently than I expected, and I'm now going to field offers for 24 hours.

If you are OK with that, then sure. But it seems like there's a lot of people who complain about how long the draft takes. I'm fine with reverting this change but there's a very decent possibility that this will make the draft take longer.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

What if its a middle ground? Can only deal picks in the following round? (i.e. during the 1st rd can only deal picks in the 2nd through 5th rd, etc)

EDIT: As you guys probably know, no one hates the slow pace of the draft more than me. But, this year I think is showing that these trades are happening regardless of the rules. To your example JP, if the guy with pick 4 didnt like who was left after picks 1-3, he would shop it now anyway. Maybe just got to be something like allow pick trading but with a caveat of dont be a dick, dont hold up the draft. Tho, some people have no qualms making other people wait...
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Marlins wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:45 pm What if its a middle ground? Can only deal picks in the following round? (i.e. during the 1st rd can only deal picks in the 2nd through 5th rd, etc)

EDIT: As you guys probably know, no one hates the slow pace of the draft more than me. But, this year I think is showing that these trades are happening regardless of the rules. To your example JP, if the guy with pick 4 didnt like who was left after picks 1-3, he would shop it now anyway. Maybe just got to be something like allow pick trading but with a caveat of dont be a dick, dont hold up the draft. Tho, some people have no qualms making other people wait...
I'm similar to JP - I'm a little hesitant about opening the door further because the standard now likely does discourage at least some stalling (though probably inconsistently person-to-person which isn't good), because our draft is currently painfully slow overall already, and because I think it's pretty clear that some do not care at all about not being a dick regardless of what anyone requests. At the same time I don't like to have rules for the sake of having rules, if you guys really think it's not going to make the draft even worse.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Rangers wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:34 pm
Marlins wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:45 pm What if its a middle ground? Can only deal picks in the following round? (i.e. during the 1st rd can only deal picks in the 2nd through 5th rd, etc)

I'm similar to JP - I'm a little hesitant about opening the door further because the standard now likely does discourage at least some stalling (though probably inconsistently person-to-person which isn't good), because our draft is currently painfully slow overall already, and because I think it's pretty clear that some do not care at all about not being a dick regardless of what anyone requests. At the same time I don't like to have rules for the sake of having rules, if you guys really think it's not going to make the draft even worse.
The don't be a dick burden may be too high of a threshold to meet, but let me give it some thought. Maybe there's a solution to it.
Reds

Post by Reds »

I know it has been a while, but has the draft been completed sooner since that rule was added?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Pretty sure that rule has always existed? I am honestly not sure.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Did we change the rule already to allow pick trading during the draft? Looks like some GMs think we did...
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

To be honest, seeing the posts to the Marketplace, deals happening, hearing what is going on trade-wise, it seems ridiculous we are even discussing pick trading during draft. We have rules in place now which does not allow it yet, excuse my language, no one gives a flying fuck about those rules whatsoever. I think we should just either enforce the rules as they exist or just change them now to what everyone is doing anyway.

Return to “ExCo General”