CBA > IBC: Draft Questions

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

CBA > IBC: Draft Questions

Post by Cardinals »

The new CBA calls for a draft lottery and eventually an international draft, starting in 2024. How do we want to handle this for IBC?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Re: CBA > IBC: Draft Questions

Post by Marlins »

My vote is again follow MLB. Also, to best follow MLB, I also think we use their lottery to determine the final draft order (i.e. and of season MLB ranks worst 18 teams 1-18 in terms of worst record, we do the same in IBC. If the third worst team in MLB wins the lottery for 1st pick, same in IBC, etc).

Correct me if I'm wrong tho, but I dont think the 2022 draft (coming up in June) will be affected, so our draft in March next year likely will not be either. This would be in effect for the 2023 MLB draft (spring 2024 IBC draft).
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Saw this yesterday:

The league and union will continue to discuss the possibility of instituting an international draft through July 25 of this year. If an agreement is reached, the qualifying offer process will go away. If they decide not to do an international draft, things will stay the same as they were during the last CBA.

In lieu of that, I would say we don't make any changes until we know for sure what the status is. Agree in following MLB. I think JP should get one of those bingo games and put logos on the balls and broadcast live!
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

I am fine with the lottery (and hopefully will not be eligible for it in 2022 and/or beyond).
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Some more info on the new draft (from The Athletic):

Amateur draft
The draft lottery starts in 2023. All teams that did not make the prior year’s postseason can participate in the lottery, which covers the first six picks in the draft. A team’s odds of winning the lottery are based on the prior year’s win percentage, with the worst winning percentage given the best odds. If teams have identical win percentages, the tiebreaker is the previous year’s record. The lottery is to be held between the end of the season and Dec. 31. The commissioner’s office chooses the date.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

I don't love the odds of MLB's lottery but I agree with mirroring MLB.

I also like Nils' idea of just using MLB's results, assuming that they continue to hold it by December 31 as that note mentions. It makes their event an event for us as well.

One side note on this - if we use their lottery results, we are actually applying them to a different draft (year of players) from them. I don't think that's good or bad, just kind of interesting.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 am Saw this yesterday:

The league and union will continue to discuss the possibility of instituting an international draft through July 25 of this year. If an agreement is reached, the qualifying offer process will go away. If they decide not to do an international draft, things will stay the same as they were during the last CBA.

In lieu of that, I would say we don't make any changes until we know for sure what the status is. Agree in following MLB. I think JP should get one of those bingo games and put logos on the balls and broadcast live!
I don't see why MLB instituting an international draft or not affects us? We already do an international draft.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

If we use MLBs lottery for our draft order (as Brett says, for different year, but whatever) then we could move the draft back to starting Jan 1 again.

Regarding the intl draft, I think the only reason we lump them in with the rule 4 draft is because we have no money/salary system to mirror how MLB does Intl guys. If they get the intl draft implemented, I think we again should always default to whatever MLB does. From what I am reading about how that draft order is to be determined, I think should work for us as well but we will need to get more details.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Rangers wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:58 am

I don't see why MLB instituting an international draft or not affects us? We already do an international draft.
Exactly
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

WhiteSox wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:21 am
Rangers wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:58 am

Exactly
I'm not opposed at all. I just want to see how MLB handles so we can mirror (ie: lottery portion and other aspects).
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Ok, not sure I support all this, just a thought experiment for now.

What if we implement the following:
-Complete the current draft as is, existing rules.
-All star break, add picks (team specific, top 5 rds) to OOPSS as usual, but for r4 draft
-End of 2022 reg season, add intl draft picks to OOPSS (team specific, top 3 rds) to OOPSS
-Prior to Dec 31, final draft order is determined by MLB draft lottery, picks updated to actual pick # in OOPSS
-Jan 1, 2023 r4 draft begins, picks (except for current and next 3 picks) are tradeable. Picks get updated to the players taken as the picks are made and are immediately tradeable
-Whenever MLB intl draft order is determined, picks are updated to actual pick # in OOPSS
-Jun 1, 2023 intl draft begins, picks (except for current and next 3 picks) are tradeable.
-Rinse and repeat

Some details would need to be worked out. First, confirmation of intl draft and when it starts in MLB. We can do an intl draft even before MLB does, but would be easier to do it in tandem. Second, we would need to confirm the cut off date for players in intl draft. I assume would be an age thing? If so, we would need to clarify who exactly would be eligible for the 1st IBC intl draft (the guys who sign between Mar 1, 2022 and the beginning of eligibility in MLB). Third, do we differentiate r4 and intl draftees in OOPSS? Do we make the 10 man draft roster a higher number? Do we allow intl guys to remain on draft roster longer? Do we simply do away the draft roster?

Lot to discuss here, lets open it up.
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

I can see this led to a great big discussion. I assume most of you are just waiting to see what MLB specifically does with regards to an Intl draft? But I also know from talking to some of you individually, there is a divide among us on whether or not to even follow what MLB does.

That being said, I am all for getting the details worked out ahead of time. Seeing how many teams seem to be passing on picks past #100 overall in our current draft, plus the makeup of guys taken intl vs US, I would actually revise my thoughts above and say we should stick to 5 rds of draft total, 3 round r4 draft and 2 round intl draft. I also would like to see the final rules put in place for the intl draft in MLB (player eligibility, timing, rounds, draft order, etc) but unless something unforeseen comes into play, I think this would be a decent preliminary outline.

Return to “ExCo General”