2022 White Sox Prospect Notes

Jim Berger's blog - a White Sox fan living in Red Sox nation

Moderator: Padres

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Re: 2022 White Sox Prospect Notes

Post by Padres »

5. Steven Kwan, OF, Guardians (previous rank: 8)

Remember when Kwan was an April sensation? Then remember when he slumped a bit and was written off? He went on to enjoy an excellent year, the kind of season that in a normal rookie class wins you a very nice award. This is now normal rookie class though, so Kwan will have to settle for being an important part of a postseason team. He remained an OBP machine all year, stole 19 bases and scored 89 runs.

https://www.mlb.com/news/final-mlb-pipe ... e-coverage

Rays: Mason Auer, OF (No. 12), Mesa Solar Sox

Auer finished a homer shy of the cycle -- ripping a double to left-center in the fifth and a triple to center to begin the seventh, before coming up again later in the frame. He tied a knot on his outing with a two-RBI single that capped the fourth crooked number for the Solar Sox. But his most impressive contribution of the game came in the opening frame. After legging out a botched play at short to reach first successfully, the 21-year-old turned on the jets to steal second and then third. After dancing off of third with an aggressive lead, Auer scampered home on a wild pitch to score without the ball ever leaving the infield. He swiped 48 bags across two levels of the Minors during the regular season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/arizona-fall-l ... e-coverage

Mason Auer
's road to the Rays has been anything but linear.

The 21-year-old speedster was a two-way prospect out of high school, and was thought of more as a pitcher than a hitter. That changed once he matriculated to college, first at Missouri State—where he spent the fraction of a season before the pandemic hit—and then a year later at San Jacinto (Texas) JC, where he posted a 1.152 OPS with 11 doubles, 11 homers and 34 stolen bases in 37 tries.

After a stint with Frederick of the MLB Draft League, Auer was set to transfer to Oregon for his 2022 season, but the Rays popped him in the fifth round of the 2021 draft and immediately began reaping the benefits of a player with the beginnings of a dynamic power-speed combination.

The native Missourian is part of the Rays' contingent in the Arizona Fall League, and on Wednesday he was part of Mesa's offensive onslaught against Salt River. In the win, which came by a 19-8 score, Auer went 3-for-6 with two stolen bases and finished a home run short of the cycle.

The teams decided to cut the game short after eight innings, which cost Auer—who was slated to lead off the ninth for the Rafters—a chance to complete the feat.

"I thought about it," Auer said, "but it was a long game."

Auer's hot start in the AFL is a continuation of a fantastic first full season as a pro. Between both Class A levels, he finished with an .859 OPS that was fueled by 21 doubles, 12 triples (tied for the minor league lead) and 15 home runs. He also swiped 48 bases in 55 attempts while helping both of his clubs win their league championship.

Auer has utilized plenty of video to identify and correct some of the flaws in his game. Specifically, he's noticed that he'll sometimes lunge during his swing, which leaves him off-balance and prone to making poor swing decisions.

To correct those tendencies, Auer has tried a variety of remedies. He's swung a shorter bat, swung a fungo bat, swung with one hand and tested himself against specialized pitching machines.

The improvement process, of course, will continue not only through the Fall League, but into next year, when Auer is likely to get his first test at the highest levels of the minor leagues.

To prepare, he'll continue getting as many reps as possible against as many different types of pitching as he can.

"I really focused on hitting a lot of offspeed stuff this offseason and really trying to hone in on that and try to see it better," he said. "The more you see pitching, the better you're going to be, so just seeing as much pitching as I can."

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... of-skills/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Oscar Colas, OF (No. 2, MLB No. 95): Signed for $2.7 million in January after spending three years in Japan's minor leagues, the Cuban Colas batted .314/.374/.524 with 23 homers in 117 games while climbing from High-A to Triple-A.

Cristian Mena, RHP (No. 10): After leading the Rookie-level Arizona League in strikeout rate in his 2021 pro debut, Mena made the jump to full-season ball and fashioned a 3.80 ERA with 126 whiffs in 104 1/3 innings while moving from Single-A to Double-A at age 19.

Dax Fulton, LHP (No. 8): Fulton has fully recovered from Tommy John surgery before his 2020 high school senior season and logged a 3.80 ERA with 150 strikeouts in 118 1/3 innings between High-A and Double-A at age 20.

James Outman, OF (No. 13): One of the best athletes in the Dodgers system, Outman hit .294/.392/.586 with 31 homers and 13 steals in 125 games between Double-A and Triple-A, finishing fifth in the Minors in extra-base hits (69) and total bases (277) and ninth in OPS (.978). He also homered off German Marquez in his first big league at-bat and went 6-for-13 in a brief stint in Los Angeles.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-of-t ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Eric Longenhagen on Miguel Vargas: (I hope he is wrong ...)

Lastly, let me address Miguel Vargas specifically, since questions about him tend to find their way into my chats and inbox: I like him, I just don’t think he’s a star, and he’s on that 45/50 FV line for me. Third base is an extremely hard position to profile at right now because our current crop of hot corner occupants is so good, especially at the top of the position. Most of the argument for Vargas being a top 25 prospect is made on paper, but some of that is distorted by the offensive environment of the parks/leagues he’s played in as a prospect, including the PCL this year. He’s been a young-for-the-level hitter as a minor leaguer, but he’s not especially projectable or visually explosive from an eyeball scouting standpoint, so I’m less inclined to make age-based skill projection here. When you drill down into his underlying data, his overall statistical resume is close to average at third base (his bat-to-ball skills are plus, the power component more vanilla), but his defense pulls his overall profile down. If you project him in left field, he’s comfortably shy of what is typical of an average regular out there in most facets of offense.

Again, I like him and consider him an imminent, integral role player, but I don’t think he’s a top 10 hitter at 3B/LF/1B or anything like that. I realize I’m on an island in this regard, at least in the public space, and that’s fine. I just want readers to know that I’ve been constantly re-evaluating this guy, as well as my method for doing so, and think this is where he falls on the continuum.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-end-of-s ... st-update/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

When discussing some of the organization's top pitching prospects earlier in the season, White Sox assistant general manager/director of player development Chris Getz made it a point to name check righthander Cristian Mena.

“He’s a joy to watch,” Getz said. “He loves to compete. He doesn’t get too emotional on the mound. He’s got a fastball, curveball, slider and a changeup. And he’s only 19 years old.”

The age factor is definitely worth noting, considering Mena opened the season at Low-A Kannapolis and was bumped up to High-A Winston-Salem after posting a 2.68 ERA over 11 starts while striking out 66 in 53.2 innings.

Mena piled up 47 more strikeouts over 40.2 innings with Winston-Salem and earned another promotion to Double-A Birmingham.

In a typical season, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Mena would have remained at Winston-Salem. But this year, the White Sox decided to move several of their best young players to Double-A in late August for “Project Birmingham.” They were joined by all of the organization's minor league coordinators.

“We’re really proud of some of the accomplishments we’ve made on the player development side and the strides that our players have made,” Getz said. “To kind of bring that to life in Double-A for the last month is something that’s motivating for our staff, our organization and certainly I hope for our players who are part of this.

"To be able to compete on a nightly basis, certainly the personalized instruction—and we also treated it almost as an advanced instructional league. So these guys are set up for their offseasons and work toward next year.”

Mena struck out 13 in 10 innings at Birmingham, putting the finishing touches on a standout year few saw coming.

Working off a fastball that ticked up to 95 mph, the Dominican Republic native climbed the organizational ladder when his secondary pitches started taking shape.

“The consistency of the slider stood out,” Getz said. “Confidence in the changeup. He could be more effective on the edges, but a lot of that is catcher related as well.”

CHI-LITES

— Righthander Sean Burke was promoted from Double-A Birmingham to Triple-A Charlotte for the final week of the season. For the year, Burke went 4-10, 4.75 with 137 strikeouts in 108 innings for High-A Winston-Salem, Birmingham and Charlotte.

— Outfielder Oscar Colas has a shot at making the major league roster out of spring training next year after hitting a combined .314/.371./.524 with 23 home runs in 117 games with High-A Winston-Salem, Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... white-sox/

OF Steven Kwan, Guardians

Kwan began his debut season by going 116 pitches without his first swing and miss, a modern record, and continued to demonstrate those elite contact skills throughout the year. His 3.1% swinging strike rate was the second-lowest in the major leagues and he led all qualified rookies with a .298 batting average. Kwan complimented his offensive production with premium defense in the outfield. He led all American League left fielders in putouts, total zone runs and range factor as measured by Baseball-Reference.

AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB
.298 .373 .400 563 89 168 25 7 6 52 62 60 19

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... okie-team/
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Mason Auer, OF, Rays: Though he collected just one hit—an RBI double—Auer deserves praise for his standout defense in center field. The 2021 fifth-rounder out of San Jacinto (Texas) JC made tremendous plays to both sides during Mesa's loss to Surprise. He and Phillies prospect Johan Rojas have shown highlight reel-caliber plays on a near-nightly basis over the first week and change in the desert, providing a welcome treat in what is normally a highly offensive league. Auer's top play Tuesday was a long run deep into the right-center field gap to haul in an extra-base bid from Pirates prospect Henry Davis. That he got there at all is one thing, but that he got there without so much as a dive took an incredible jump, route and blazing speed all working in concert.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... t-stretch/

From the words “play ball,” Mason Auer is in go mode. His wheels – both on the basepaths and defensively – have been on display through the first week and a half of the Arizona Fall League with the Mesa Solar Sox, with whom he is looking to claim a third title ring in 2022.

Selected in the fifth round of the 2021 Draft out of San Jacinto College, Auer got his first taste of affiliate ball this year. He began the season with Single-A Charleston, before a late June promotion to High-A Bowling Green; in addition to his top-tier basestealing ability and defensive acumen, he slashed .290/.372/.487 with 48 extra-base hits and 62 RBIs in 115 games. Both clubs he played for would go on to claim their respective league titles.

“In Bowling Green and Charleston, we had a really good dugout,” Auer said. “Ronny Simon in our dugout here, he brings the energy. We have a good group of guys. We haven’t been together that long but we kind of just grow together. It’s been fun.”

Auer and Simon made up the top of the Solar Sox lineup in Tuesday’s 3-2 matinee defeat to the Saguaros at Surprise Stadium. Auer, the Rays’ No. 12 prospect, plated the game’s first run with an RBI double down the left-field line in the third. Simon notched Mesa’s other RBI, a bases-loaded walk in the fifth.

Call it happenstance, but Auer’s impact from atop the Mesa lineup has been felt with immediacy. Through eight games in the Fall League, the same scenario has played out on three occasions: Auer, the game’s first batter, hits an infield grounder and his elite speed forces the defense into committing an error. Later in the frame, he swipes at least one bag.

“Speed is one of my tools, so I like to show it off as much as I can,” Auer said. “I always bust it down the line.”

Last Wednesday, Auer’s version of running hard down the line resulted in a 30.1 ft/sec sprint speed, which ranks as elite, according to Statcast. Only 11 Major Leaguers averaged better than 30 ft/sec during the 2022 season.
Mason Auer's catch

Between Charleston and Bowling Green, the 21-year-old swiped 48 bags – 24 at each stop. He has kept on running right into the premier fall prospect destination, tying for the AFL lead with four stolen bases entering play Tuesday night. While Auer’s speed ranks as his second-highest rated tool, it’s not just a matter of quickness; it’s a matter of preparation.

“We watch the film on the pitchers beforehand and we get to see their tendencies and their times to the plate,” Auer said. “I’m pretty confident in myself on the bases, so I try to take as many as I can.”

Those wheels were back in action as soon as the bottom of the first, when Auer came sprinting in to deny Pirates No. 5 prospect Nick Gonzales of a hit. After showing his speed coming in on the ball, Auer put his lateral quickness on display when he robbed Pittsburgh's top-ranked prospect Henry Davis of extra bases just a frame later.

“I think I have a pretty good first step and my speed definitely helps me out there,” Auer said.

The center fielder’s first full season is still a month away from concluding, but on top of learning how to take care of his body for the rigors of a pro year, he has learned how to win, a trait ubiquitous throughout the Rays’ system with all affiliates having made the postseason in 2022.

Mesa starter Mason Miller retired the first seven batters that he faced, flashing an electric fastball that ramped up as high as 102 mph on the gun. The No. 20 A's prospect struck out a pair over three frames and allowed one run on three hits.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rays-mason-aue ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Rays, Mason Auer, OF (No. 12), Mesa Solar Sox

Auer continues to be a tough out in the Solar Sox lineup. The Joplin, Mo., native has reached safely in all six games, collecting at least one hit in five of them. The speedy outfielder added a pair of knocks against the Javelinas, including a two-run triple, his second this fall. Through 29 at-bats for Mesa, Auer is slashing .300/.483/.783 with four extra-base hits, seven runs, six RBIs and four stolen bases.

https://www.mlb.com/news/arizona-fall-l ... e-coverage
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

White Sox: .895 OPS
Oscar Colas, OF (No. 2/MLB No. 95)

After signing for $2.7 million in January, Colas posted the best line of any White Sox prospect by batting .314/.371/.524 with 23 homers in 117 games while rising from High-A to Triple-A. The "Cuban Ohtani" hype was a bit much, but he could make an impact in Chicago in 2023.

https://www.mlb.com/news/standout-prosp ... e-coverage

Seby Zavala (.270/.347/.382, 2 HR, 21 RBI, 111 wRC+, 1.9 fWAR): B

Midseason Grade: B

Zavala's numbers regressed more to an expected level (.684 OPS) in the second half, but still, an almost 2.0 fWAR season from a backup catcher is nothing to scoff at. The White Sox would likely be better off finding a stronger pairing to go with Yasmani Grandal for next season, but if they can't, Zavala enters as the de facto backup catcher on this roster. As a great pitch framer and an improved bat, the team could do much worse than Zavala.

Jimmy Lambert (1-2, 3.26 ERA, 3.90 FIP, 22.1 K%, 0.3 fWAR): B

Midseason Grade: B

The conversion to a relief role has served Lambert well, giving him a tick-up in velocity and overall stuff. As a result, Lambert became a dependable middle relief option for Tony La Russa this year. The few times he saw true high-leverage situations were a bit rocky, and Lambert still has some growing to do. Regardless, the season he put together should make the White Sox more confident that they don't need to spend on their bullpen heading into 2023 (please).

Lenyn Sosa
(.114/.139/.229, 1 HR, 1 RBI, -4 wRC+): C

Midseason Grade: C

36 plate appearances aren't a lot to judge a player off of, so Sosa gets an average grade as a result. He looked overmatched at times in the big leagues on a team that didn't give him the necessary plate appearances to feel comfortable. This, combined with the fact that Sosa has struggled at first at all levels he's played at, is the reason why no one should be reading into the small sample size here. However, given that he hit .296/.352/.469 with nine home runs in 247 AAA plate appearances, we will likely continue to have conversations about putting Sosa at 2B in 2023 with little else for him to prove at the minor league level.

Thanks to Jordan Lazowski of Sox on 35th ...

Return to “Musings from Maine”