Dave Taylor's blog.

Moderator: BlueJays

BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Re: BlueJays Prospect News

Post by BlueJays »

Prelander Berroa news is heating up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathleti ... a/%3famp=1

PEORIA, Ariz. — Prelander Berroa’s first outing in a Cactus League game for the Mariners didn’t exactly qualify as a soft landing for the 22-year-old right-hander — and it wasn’t particularly close.

Berroa, who has impressed early in camp with his electric stuff, got to face fellow Dominican Republic countrymen Xander Bogaerts, Manny Machado, Juan Soto and Nelson Cruz of the Padres on Friday.

A daunting proposition? You have no idea.

“I was a little nervous going up there because obviously these are guys that I grew up watching,” Berroa said through interpreter Freddy Llanos. “But I kind of told myself that I do have to kind of keep my composure and go out there and do my job.”

Berroa did just that, working two scoreless innings with one walk and three strikeouts. Better still, he struck out Bogaerts and Cruz with his nasty slider in his first inning of work, which came in the third inning.

He allowed a single to Machado and a walk to Soto in the third but got out of the jam. He then worked a 1-2-3 fourth inning. His fastball sat between 94-98 mph and the slider was moving well.

“He’s got good stuff,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said after the game. “He has a history of being able to command the breaking ball. It’s a really good slider.”

Seattle catcher Tom Murphy was impressed with the action Berroa had on his slider.

The spin would tell you that it’s going to have more lateral movement than it does,” Murphy said. “And so that type of spin — and it’s just going straight down. It’s kind of a deceptive pitch for hitters to get used to.”

Berroa, who will turn 23 in April, has been opening eyes with his stuff ever since the Mariners traded for him on May 11, sending utility infielder Donovan Walton to the Giants. The trade was almost an immediate win for the Mariners, who had asked about Berroa in the past, only to be rebuffed by the Giants.

But, somewhat ironically, when now-Mariner Tommy La Stella landed on the Giants’ injured list, they needed some infield depth. They asked for Walton, who had become something of a metrics darling and someone who ZiPS had projected to be worth 1.7 WAR in 2022.

Walton didn’t really have a spot moving forward with the Mariners. When the Giants finally relented and offered up Berroa, Mariners president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto jumped at the opportunity to land an intriguing arm in Berroa.

In his third appearance after the trade, Berroa struck out nine over five scoreless innings in a game on May 26. He took off from there. Once part of the Mariners’ organization, Berroa had 81 strikeouts in 52 1/3 innings with a 2.37 ERA at High-A Everett before earning a promotion to Double-A Arkansas. In North Little Rock, he had a 4.37 ERA with 53 strikeouts in 35 innings. Chances are he’ll begin the season back in Arkansas.

The Mariners added Berroa to the 40-man roster this winter to keep him from getting poached in the Rule 5 draft, but the organization is also hopeful that he can eventually impact the big-league team. There’s a thought that he could end up a reliever, but the Mariners will allow him to continue to start for now.

Berroa’s fastball has impressive vertical movement. He changed the grip on his slider two seasons ago, which produced new, bigger movement on the pitch. Berroa used a changeup on occasion last season and he began to get a better feel for it late in the season.

Like many young pitchers, Berroa has had command issues (63 walks in 100 2/3 total innings in 2022) that he’ll need to iron out. But there’s still time for that to occur.

Berroa, who started out in the Twins’ organization before being traded to the Giants in 2019, might have found a permanent home with the Mariners at the rate he’s going.

“He has a history of throwing strikes, certainly with the breaking ball,” Servais said. “There’s a lot to like there and a lot of upside for him.”
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Notable spring training pitching debuts for IBC BlueJays:

SP Nick Lodolo* - 2IP, 0H, 1BB, 2Ks
SP Reid Detmers* - 2IP, 2H, 0BB, 5Ks
SP Brandon Pfaadt - 2IP, 1H, 1BB, 2 Ks
SP Kyle Muller* - 2IP, 2H, 1BB, 4Ks
SP Prelander Berroa - 2IP, 1H, 1BB, 3Ks
SP Jack Leiter - 1IP, 0H, 0BB, 1K

Painter pitches tomorrow... so far, off to a good start!
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Painter @Twins today:

2IP, 3H, 1R, 0BB, 1K.

They're saying wonderful things though.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

While I wait to see if I need throw myself into traffic if I get devastating Painter news, there is some good news elsewhere.

Brandon Pfaadt today @Padres
3IP, 1H, 1BB, 4Ks

Kid looks good. Great spin on the ball too.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Muller to start Opening Day for the A's. Kid got shelled in ST, but maybe he can figure it the fuck out.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/03/24 ... i/?src=rss

MESA, Ariz. — Kyle Muller entered spring training uncertain whether he would even make the Oakland A’s roster amid a crowded rotation competition.

Friday, the 25-year-old was named the A’s Opening Day starter, drawing the March 30 assignment opposite Angels and World Baseball Classic star Shohei Ohtani.

“It really means a lot,” Muller said Friday after making his final Cactus League appearance. “Coming into camp, I was just trying to get a spot on the team. And they told me a couple of days ago. Obviously, I’ve been thinking about it. It’s something everybody dreams of growing up. I couldn’t be happier.”

A’s manager Mark Kotsay lauded Muller’s work ethic and the passion that he displayed throughout the spring, citing those qualities as main reasons why he named the 6-foot-7 left-hander to be on the mound when Oakland opens the season at the Coliseum. The second-year skipper said he called Muller into his office earlier this week to inform him of the decision.

“He’s a competitor, you can tell that,” Kotsay said. “His work ethic is great, and attitude and enthusiasm. When I told him he was going to be the Opening Day starter, the excitement and energy and just drive of the emotion was exactly what you want when you tell a guy, ‘Hey, you’re going to be an Opening Day starter.’ It was a good moment.”

There had been speculation the A’s might pick Japanese free agent addition Shintaro Fujinami to start the opener. The right-hander was Ohtani’s old high school rival and the pair matched up in the Cactus League last month.

Instead, A’s fans will get their first good look at one of the main pieces acquired by Oakland in the offseason trade that sent Sean Murphy to the Atlanta Braves.

Muller has yet to truly establish himself at the big-league level, having made 11 career starts in limited opportunities with his former team, but Muller was hopeful he’d have a spot in the rotation from the outset of camp.

“We’re excited about his future,” Kotsay said. “Kyle, in our mind, is going to be in this rotation for a long time. And he’s put his work in to get to this point. He’s obviously had some experience at the major-league level with the Braves. We’re excited about his future. We’re excited about his opportunity to go out and pitch on Opening Day.”

Muller is the only rookie slated to start on Opening Day this season. Among A’s Opening Day starters, only Sonny Gray (2014), Carlos Reyes (1996) and Vida Blue (1971) had fewer career starts than Muller upon getting the nod.

Ohtani, the two-way superstar, will be the Angels’ Opening Day starter for the second straight year.

It’s a dream scenario for Muller, who expressed excitement in the opportunity to carve his own path with the A’s amid a clubhouse that features an abundance of young, high-ceiling talent in search of a breakthrough at this point in their careers.

Muller shared a moment with his longtime friend, and likely battery mate, Shea Langeliers. The pair got their start in the Braves organization and are roommates now that they have been reunited with the A’s.

“Super pumped for him, one of the hardest-working guys around, one of the best guys around,” Langeliers said. “Obviously knowing him over there with the Braves, I know how hard he works and I know how much it means to him.”

Kotsay said he knew Muller was ready to make the jump in part because of something the lefty told reporters early in camp.

“He said he was done pitching in Triple-A and that he was going to pitch in the big leagues and not look back,” Kotsay said. “I think that in itself, that statement to me said everything. I’m here, I’m going to compete to be in the rotation and be on the mound and not let anything get in my way.”

Muller, Oakland’s No. 5 overall prospect, had arguably the best season of his professional career last year in the Braves organization, spending most of the season in Triple-A Gwinnett before being called up on three separate occasions toward the end of the year.

On Friday, Muller was tagged for four runs in a 30-pitch first inning, surrendering hits to six of the first seven White Sox batters he faced before collecting a pair of strikeouts to get out of the frame. He allowed just one hit and a walk over the next two frames, working a 1-2-3 third before giving up four more in the fourth. He struck on five in a 90-pitch appearance, his fourth start of the spring.

It was easily Muller’s worst outing of the spring, but he isn’t too worried about it heading into the season.

“There was some good, there was some bad,” Muller said of his start. “The first inning, I should’ve done a better job of adjusting quicker. I feel like every fastball I threw, they were all over it. Being able to realize that off the rip and being able to change the game plan, it’s kind of tricky in the first inning because you have your plan and you haven’t seen the full lineup yet. But after the first three guys all hitting heaters I got to make that adjustment.”

In 134.2 innings across 23 starts in the minors, Muller posted a 3.41 ERA and struck out a career-best 159 batters. He made three starts for the Braves late in the campaign, totalling 12.1 innings of work. Muller’s hope is to carry the success he had throughout most of last season into an integral role with the A’s, who still have yet to indicate how the rest of the rotation will be structured.

For now, Muller can relish in his monumental achievement. He’s waited a lifetime to see it through.

“It’s just an exciting experience to share with everybody,” Muller said. “You play baseball long enough, you see what Opening Day means and getting a chance to take the mound on day one is something I’m going to remember forever.”
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

https://www.baseballamerica.com/ranking ... prospects/

BA Top 100 Update

Blue Jays making the list:
12. P Andrew Painter
28. P Brandon Pfaadt
66. C Jeferson Quero
71. C Bo Naylor
89. C Edgar Quero
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Chase Hampton continues to deal.

RHP Chase Hampton (5.2 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 5 K) took the no-decision in his second Double-A start. In 58.2 IP between High-A Hudson Valley and Somerset this season, Hampton leads the Yankees organization in K (90), WHIP (0.97), and opponent batting average (.181), while ranking second with a 2.61 ERA. Hampton has allowed two or less runs in 10 of his 11 starts this season between High-A Hudson Valley and Somerset. Hampton has struck out 5+ in each of his 11 starts this season, ranking 5th in MiLB with a 14.43 K/9.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Red Sox #3 Prospect Ceddanne Rafaela has been promoted to Triple-A Worcester.

.294, 6 HR, 18 2B, 37 RBI, 30 SB with the Portland Sea Dogs
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

MLB.com Top 100 prospect update at the midway point of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/top100/

11. Andrew Painter
58. Andy Pages
72. Edgar Quero
79. Jeferson Quero
87. Ceddanne Rafaela
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... dium=email

5. Ceddanne Rafaela, OF, Red Sox
Team: Triple-A Worcester (International)
Why He’s Here: .308/.357/.769 (8-for-26), 6 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: There’s zero question about Rafaela’s eventual ability to impact the game with his legs and his glove. Now, will he hit enough to reach his potential? He’s shown some positive signs early in his tenure with Triple-A—including four home runs in just 11 games—but the strikeouts remain a concern. At 22 years old there’s plenty of time for Rafaela to refine his approach, and if he does the Red Sox could have an excellent player on their hands.

16. Chase Hampton, RHP, Yankees
Team: Double-A Somerset (Eastern)
Why He’s Here: 0-0, 3.60, 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 10 SO, 1 HR

The Scoop: The Texas Tech alum has been the breakout story of the Yankees’ system this season. After being shut down post-draft in 2022, he opened the year at High-A and bulldozed the competition before earning a promotion to Double-A on June 15. In his most recent start, Hampton rung up 10 strikeouts against Reading, giving him 103 for the season, enough to just edge fellow 2022 draftee Drew Thorpe for the system lead. The 10 Ks also tied a career best he’d equaled three previous times this season.

19. Zack Gelof, 2B, Athletics
Team: Triple-A Las Vegas (Pacific Coast)
Why He’s Here: .367/.367/.600 (11-for-30), 5 R, 4 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 9 BB, 3 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Gelof had an excellent week entering the all-star break at Triple-A Las Vegas, and then capped it off by watching his brother Jake get his name called by the Dodgers on the first night of the draft. The elder Gelof was an on-base machine during the most recent Hot Sheet period. He had nearly as many walks (nine) as hits (11) and threw in a stolen base as well. His four two-baggers gave him 20 on the season, making him one of five PCL players to reach that mark.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Martín Gallegos of MLB.com reports the Athletics are calling up top prospect Zack Gelof ahead of Friday’s series opener against the Twins.

Gelof earns his first call to the majors after batting .304/.401/.529 with 12 homers and 20 stolen bases across 308 plate appearances this season for Triple-A Las Vegas. The 23-year-old former second-round selection from the 2021 MLB Draft offers some defensive flexibility and a decent blend of over-the-fence pop and stolen bases. He might be worthy of a flyer in AL-only formats
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Everson Pereira on the verge of a callup.

https://elitesportsny.com/2023/08/09/ev ... -pitching/

The Yankees have had a void in left field all season long. You’d think that a prime time to fill that void would’ve been before the trade deadline. General manager Brian Cashman didn’t do that. According to SNY’s Andy Martino, the eventual promotion of top prospect Everson Pereira is apparently part of the reason why:

Pereira is currently ranked as the Yankees’ fourth-best prospect, according to MLB.com. The Athletic ranks him among the top 60 prospects across baseball. He began the year with fellow top prospect, Jasson Dominguez, at Double-A Somerset. That was where he ended his 2022 campaign, as well. Pereira earned a midseason promotion to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after quickly showing he mastered the competition.

In just 75 total games in Double-A (308 plate appearances), the 22-year-old slashed .288/.354/.529. This included 33 extra-base hits (14 doubles, four triples, 15 home runs), 45 RBI, and 44 runs scored. His performance in Triple-A has been equally as eye-popping. Through just 185 trips to the plate (46 games), Pereira is slashing .330/.375/.553 with 12 extra-base hits (six doubles, one triple, five homers), 25 RBI, and 20 runs scored.

The young outfielder is apparently on the brink of getting promoted to the big leagues. While the Yankees beat the White Sox 7-1 on Tuesday night, it’s not like they still couldn’t use a little jolt of youthful energy into their lineup. New York left fielders have combined to post an 88 wRC+, a .682 OPS, and -0.5 fWAR this season.

The Bombers enter Wednesday’s finale against Chicago with a 59-55 record. That has them 11.5 games out of first place in the AL East, but that’s not the focus right now. New York’s focus is on the 4.5 games that need to be made up to capture the final AL Wild Card spot.

It’s also August 9th. There’s plenty of time to make up that ground and return to the postseason. However, let’s not wait too much longer before Pereira gets the call. That is, as long as the Yankees actually want him to try and make a big-league impact this season.
BlueJays

Re: BlueJays Player/Prospect News

Post by BlueJays »

Walker Buehler in his first rehab start:

2.0 IP
0 H
2 K
0 BB
4-seam avg. 94.4 mph topping out at 96.1 mph

Link to the video below

https://twitter.com/DMAC_LA/status/1698 ... gr%5Etweet

Return to “Canadian Blue Birds, eh?”